RR: Avalon on a Monday morning

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Martees, Apr 28, 2003.

  1. Martees

    Martees Guest

    What a day!!!!

    I arrived at the Landing Rd trailhead at about 11am and turned in and took the first right. I
    picked up the Rdge trail until I came to the Valley View "loop" and got back on the Ridge trail. I
    had to re-do some of the Ridge trail but it was worth it. I really like that Valley View (it lives
    up to its name!). I took the Ridge trail and dropped back onto the asphalt and pedaled to the
    visitor center at the swinging bridge. After crossing I turned right and picked up the Vinyard
    Springs trail to the top of the ridge. I turned onto the Santee all the way to the campground (I
    forget the name of this campground but it looks really nice) and took a little breather. From
    there I came down the steep hill to the railroad tracks. My friends and I call this "mt
    son-of-a-biatch". It was a muddy mess for half of it but it still beat the hell out of climbing
    it! I crossed over the swinging bridge again and up the Cascade Falls trail which eventually took
    me back to Landing Rd. I noticed that there was allot of work done since the last time I was in
    the park The trails were dry and fast and hardly any blow downs to slow me up.

    I have absolutely no idea how many miles it was (it felt like 12 or so) but I didn't see any other
    mtb'rs and only a few hikers.

    Temps were in the mid-70's and sunny. I usually don't mind riding solo but it would have been nice
    to share this one!

    Marty

    Tags:

  2. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Martees" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > What a day!!!!

    >The trails were dry and fast and hardly any blow downs to slow me up.

    That's really good to hear. I was there last weekend, and so many frat boys on Walgooses were
    thrashing through the mud (when they weren't alking their bikes up the trails with cigarettes in
    their mouths) that I was afraid some of the better spots would be soupy mud pies 'til June.

    > I have absolutely no idea how many miles it was (it felt like 12 or so)
    but
    > I didn't see any other mtb'rs and only a few hikers.

    Last Sunday the place did clear out by about 2:00...seems the best time to ride is after noon.

    > Temps were in the mid-70's and sunny. I usually don't mind riding solo but it would have been nice
    > to share this one!
    >
    > Marty

    Thanks for the report...how are the water crossings at the bottom of Soapstone looking? Flying
    down that trail is my favorite part of Patapsco, and I was digging the high water levels left over
    from winter.

    Chris

  3. Martees

    Martees Guest

    > Thanks for the report...how are the water crossings at the bottom of Soapstone looking? Flying
    > down that trail is my favorite part of
    Patapsco,
    > and I was digging the high water levels left over from winter.
    >
    > Chris

    They were still full. The water was cold and about 6 inches or so.

    Marty

  4. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:38:40 -0400, "Martees" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >What a day!!!!
    >
    > I arrived at the Landing Rd trailhead at about 11am and turned in and took the first right. I
    > picked up the Rdge trail until I came to the Valley View "loop" and got back on the Ridge trail.
    > I had to re-do some of the Ridge trail but it was worth it. I really like that Valley View (it
    > lives up to its name!). I took the Ridge trail and dropped back onto the asphalt and pedaled to
    > the visitor center at the swinging bridge. After crossing I turned right and picked up the
    > Vinyard Springs trail to the top of the ridge. I turned onto the Santee all the way to the
    > campground (I forget the name of this campground but it looks really nice) and took a little
    > breather. From there I came down the steep hill to the railroad tracks. My friends and I call
    > this "mt son-of-a-biatch". It was a muddy mess for half of it but it still beat the hell out of
    > climbing it! I crossed over the swinging bridge again and up the Cascade Falls trail which
    > eventually took me back to Landing Rd. I noticed that there was allot of work done since the last
    > time I was in the park The trails were dry and fast and hardly any blow downs to slow me up.
    >
    >I have absolutely no idea how many miles it was (it felt like 12 or so) but I didn't see any other
    >mtb'rs and only a few hikers.
    >
    >Temps were in the mid-70's and sunny. I usually don't mind riding solo but it would have been nice
    >to share this one!
    >
    >Marty

    Hell, yes Marty! I know that route and those trails you mentioned like the back of my hand!.

    Sounded like a great ride!

    Are you doing it on your SS yet?

    I was thinking about a 6:00 am ride that morning but opted for a training run instead.

    :-]