RR: Avalon Single Speeding

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Marty, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. Marty

    Marty Guest

    Sorry. No single speeding. I just wanted to get Bill W all worked up.

    I did take off work a few hours early on Friday to give the Jamis a much needed work out. I got to
    Landing Rd Patapsco State Park at about 1330EST. The temps were in the 50's and the trails were
    manageable although some were downright nasty. I went straight over Cascade and crossed the bridge.
    I hadn't seen the new path on the other side so I rode it down to the dam and took a trail up the
    ridge to the right, Sawmill I think. From there I got a little lost but it's hard to stay that way
    in this area. I had lots of time so I just kept riding south and east on the ridge line and then
    headed down towards the river. The trails on the eastern side seem to be in better shape than on the
    western side.

    After much meandering around I finally hit the Ridge trail and connected to what I think was the
    Morningside or some such...... which took me back to Landing Rd.

    All told it was a MUCH needed 14 miles. I didn't see one other bike the whole time although I did
    see some walkers.

    A great time was had by all.... ok just me.

    Marty

    Tags:

  2. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    "Marty" <[email protected]> had this to say
    news:[email protected]

    > Sorry. No single speeding. I just wanted to get Bill W all worked up.
    >
    > I did take off work a few hours early on Friday to give the Jamis a much needed work out.

    Is that the same Avalon? Ya' know, "where the geared pigs lie"?

  3. Marty

    Marty Guest

    "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Marty" <[email protected]> had this to say news:[email protected]
    >

    > > Sorry. No single speeding. I just wanted to get Bill W all worked up.
    > >
    > > I did take off work a few hours early on Friday to give the Jamis a much needed work out.
    >
    > Is that the same Avalon? Ya' know, "where the geared pigs lie"?

    One and the same.

  4. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    [email protected]@ard! why i ought a.....!

    >I did take off work a few hours early on Friday to give the Jamis a much needed work out. I got to
    >Landing Rd Patapsco State Park at about 1330EST. The temps were in the 50's and the trails were
    >manageable although some were downright nasty. I went straight over Cascade and crossed the bridge.
    >I hadn't seen the new path on the other side so I rode it down to the dam and took a trail up the
    >ridge to the right, Sawmill I think. From there I got a little lost but it's hard to stay that way
    >in this area. I had lots of time so I just kept riding south and east on the ridge line and then
    >headed down towards the river. The trails on the eastern side seem to be in better shape than on
    >the western side.
    >
    >After much meandering around I finally hit the Ridge trail and connected to what I think was the
    >Morningside or some such...... which took me back to Landing Rd.
    >
    >All told it was a MUCH needed 14 miles. I didn't see one other bike the whole time although I did
    >see some walkers.
    >
    >A great time was had by all.... ok just me.
    >
    >Marty

    Nice RR, be nice to those muddy trails, they'll pay you back later.

    :-]

  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    > On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 20:01:13 -0500, "Marty" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Nice RR, be nice to those muddy trails, they'll pay you back later.
    >
    > Peace, Bill

    So then, Patapsco is ridable? I am definitely getting out Saturday and Sunday, and if Schaeffer
    Farms isn't open (haven't called yet) I will be hitting Patapsco...so how bad was the winter to
    the trails?

    Chris

  6. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 00:17:27 -0500, "Chris" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 20:01:13 -0500, "Marty" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >> Nice RR, be nice to those muddy trails, they'll pay you back later.
    >>
    >> Peace, Bill
    >
    >So then, Patapsco is ridable? I am definitely getting out Saturday and Sunday, and if Schaeffer
    >Farms isn't open (haven't called yet) I will be hitting Patapsco...so how bad was the winter to
    >the trails?
    >
    >Chris

    They're ridable but, please walk around the muddy parts, no need to cut new trails.

    Some of the river banks are crumbling, not due to riding but high water from the rain, snow and
    melt. Be careful crossing streams and have fun.

    Respect the trails while we're still allowed to ride them. I have a feeling that if the erosion
    keeps up the powers that be will start blaming it all on MTBers...and of course we all know that's
    not always the case but we're good targets.

    :-]

  7. Marty

    Marty Guest

    > On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 00:17:27 -0500, "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >"Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 20:01:13 -0500, "Marty" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > >> Nice RR, be nice to those muddy trails, they'll pay you back later.
    > >>
    > >> Peace, Bill
    > >
    > >So then, Patapsco is ridable? I am definitely getting out Saturday and Sunday, and if Schaeffer
    > >Farms isn't open (haven't called yet) I will be hitting Patapsco...so how bad was the winter to
    > >the trails?
    > >
    > >Chris
    >
    > They're ridable but, please walk around the muddy parts, no need to cut new trails.
    >
    > Some of the river banks are crumbling, not due to riding but high water from the rain, snow and
    > melt. Be careful crossing streams and have fun.
    >
    > Respect the trails while we're still allowed to ride them. I have a feeling that if the erosion
    > keeps up the powers that be will start blaming it all on MTBers...and of course we all know that's
    > not always the case but we're good targets.
    >
    > Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the
    > mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    > :-]

    Bill,

    You're right. Some places are pretty eroded and getting worse. Most of the trails weren't muddy
    but I did have to keep looking down at my rear tire to make sure it wasn't flatting. It was a bit
    soggy in most spots. It looks pretty bad in spots but overall the trails seem to be holding up
    pretty well.

    Good advice, walking around or through the mud vice riding.

    Marty