RR - Beavertail

Stephen Baker

Guest
Well, it's been along time since I was able to exercise the bike, and this morning was beautiful, so
out I went. There is no dirt worth mentioning on this island, and what there is looks like mud pie
at the moment (week of rain and snow ) so it was out to the rocks at Beavertail, the southernmost
point of the island. Beavertail is mainly shale and pink granite, the only other place in the world
having granite quite like it is on the west coast of Africa, left behind when Gondwanaland split up
;-) All road on the way, but nicely bumpy in places like a good New England small-town road should
be ;-) A good run out, passing deer, ducks and even a coyote who ran across the road about 1/4 mile
in front of me. Quick side-trip to the revoutionary war gun emplacement to see how that had dried
(not at all) cos there is a little dirt there, then on to the lighthouse at Beavertail. Here is a
quick pic of the bike resting on the foundation of the first lighthouse here (1780-something).
http://members.aol.com/SailDesign/beavertail-04-13-03.jpg

Run back was against a stiff headwind, and not something I want to talk about until I get some
fitness back ;-(

Planning on getting off-island soon (very soon) for a little dirt that is not just 6" of sludge on
top of granite.

Steve

Stephen Baker wrote:

> Planning on getting off-island soon (very soon)

You need it BAD!

> for a little dirt that is not just 6" of sludge on top of granite.

Isn't that like, the whole STATE!?!?!?

Clydesdale says:

>Stephen Baker wrote:
>
>> Planning on getting off-island soon (very soon)
>
>You need it BAD!

No sh*t!

>> for a little dirt that is not just 6" of sludge on top of granite.
>
>Isn't that like, the whole STATE!?!?!?

Et tu, Brute!

Steve

JD asks:

>How big was that peak breaking in the background?

About 3 or 4 feet, absolute tops. When the waves come from the SE, they have to go over Nrenton's
Reef on the way, so these are all "secondary" waves. On a good stormy day we can get 10-12 footers
breaking, but nothing much bigger unless its a hurricane. We have Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard and
Cutty Hunk to the S and SE, and Block Island and Long Island to the S to SW, so all we really get
are second-hand anyway. Still makes a good show as (except for straight south as in the pic) the
bottom rises from 30-40 ft to a ledge just at the shore line, so they pretty much break right onto
the rocks. Great spot for Striped Bass and Tautog (blackfish to you off-islanders)

Steve

Stephen Baker wrote:
> JD asks:
>

>>How big was that peak breaking in the background?
>

> About 3 or 4 feet, absolute tops. When the waves come from the SE, they have to go over Nrenton's
> Reef on the way, so these are all "secondary" waves. On a good stormy day we can get 10-12 footers
> breaking, but nothing much bigger unless its a hurricane.

Hurricane of '86... "Gloria" Narragansett Bay was a blast!

> We have Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard and Cutty Hunk to the S and SE, and Block Island and Long
> Island to the S to SW, so all we really get are second-hand anyway.

Second Beach in Newport is about as good as it gets. IMO.

Stephen Baker wrote:
> John G says:
>

>>Been there, surfed that.... too figging COLD
>

> Hopefully at Bonnet Shores, not at B'tail itself. Too frigging rocky!

I got plenty of dings in my old Schroff baby swallow-tail ;-< Some of them took half a cake of
Zogs to fill.

"John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Stephen Baker wrote:
> > JD asks:
> >

> >>How big was that peak breaking in the background?
> >

> > About 3 or 4 feet, absolute tops. When the waves come from the SE, they
have
> > to go over Nrenton's Reef on the way, so these are all "secondary"
waves. On a
> > good stormy day we can get 10-12 footers breaking, but nothing much
bigger
> > unless its a hurricane.
>
> Hurricane of '86... "Gloria" Narragansett Bay was a blast!

Glad someone enjoyed it. Came to within' 6" of bailing water out of my house.

Mike