RR: Beechworth Six Hours In The Saddle

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Gags, Apr 10, 2005.

  1. Gags

    Gags Guest

    Yesterday I got up early and drove from Melb to Beechworth to support my
    neice in a 6 hour race in Beechworth. I also took my two kids along to give
    the wife a day by herself.

    Three hours of driving and one Maccas stop for pancakes later and we were
    there. Was pretty hot even at 10am and the race didn't start until 11am.
    We got all the stuff together and I held Lindsay's bike for the Le Mans
    start. The riders actually had to run a good couple of hundred metres which
    I thought was a bit rough. Lindsay got on the bike about mid-field and was
    on her way.

    I set up one of those beach shelter "sun dome" thingys for me and the kids
    to sit in that was close to the transition area where riders had to get off
    and walk the bike. Lindsay came through in 3rd place for the first lap
    (open womens) and was about 2 min down. By the end of the second lap she
    was 4 min down. She then racked off about three laps in a row that were all
    at around 40min and was within sight of the leader (now in 2nd place) at the
    transition area. By the end of the next lap she was about 1 min in front
    and then she extended the lead to about 3 min by the end of the next lap.

    I was madly mixing drinks between laps and she had written out an initial
    list but she would change that depending on what she was feeling like. I
    was mixing Endura, Sustagen, and Gookinade as well as providing water,
    bananas, and carbo gels. The longest she ever stopped was for about 1 min
    or so when I re-lubed the chain.

    Given the times that she was doing, at the end of her 7th lap I told her she
    had two to go (she was 5 min in front by this stage). She still had a 5 min
    lead at the start of her final lap but I probably shouldn't have told her
    this as she started to take it a bit easy. Apparantly about half-way around
    her last lap she heard a bike come up behind her and let the rider through,
    only to realise that it was the chick who was in second place. Lindsay
    stayed on her wheel for a bit and then passed her again on the next uphill
    and put the hammer down again.

    Lindsay ended up winning by about a minute or so and was absolutely stuffed
    at the end. Her right foot was numb inside the shoe and she could barely
    walk. By the time we drove the 3 hours home, it was pretty swollen and so
    she has been icing it since (she can walk on it now though).

    The guys from that Channel 31 cycling show (can't remember the name of it)
    were there and they said that they are hoping that the show will go to air
    on Tuesday. They were also pretty stoked to hear that their show had been
    discussed in aus.bicycle as I passed on the fact that a few of us were
    waiting for it to come on.

    Anyway, well done Lindsay........can't wait till the national series next
    year.....

    Ride On,

    Gags

    Tags:

  2. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Gags wrote:

    > Anyway, well done Lindsay........can't wait till the national series next
    > year.....
    >
    > Ride On,
    >
    > Gags

    Way to GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Lindsay. Must have been due to the
    top support crew. ;)

    DaveB

  3. Bailes

    Bailes Guest

    Good result for Lindsay was a scorcher on Saturday too! Was there prize
    monies for top places?

  4. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "Bailes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Good result for Lindsay was a scorcher on Saturday too! Was there prize
    > monies for top places?

    Yeah....she got $100......almost covers my support crew fee ;)

    Forgot to mention in original post.....where the transition area was there
    was four jumps in a row with a couple of nice berms on the corners leading
    up to the first and third jump. Throughout the day I saw at least 4 people
    come unstuck on these jumps. Two of them had to be stretchered to the
    ambulance, one hurt his leg and arm pretty bad, and the last guy got back on
    his bike and kept going but was making some pretty funny noises (I think he
    was winded).

    At least one of the guys stacked because there was someone videotaping him
    (heard them talking about it as he left transition) and he was trying too
    hard to get some air. He basically started to do a bit of a
    pancake/tailwhip in the air but it was unintentional and he never bought it
    back to straight. He landed with the bike on a fair bit of an angle and his
    wheels went straight from under him. The worst part was that the chick with
    the video reckons she missed it!!

    Saw another guy go straight over the handlebars after the fourth jump (I was
    directly behind the direction he was travelling and it looked nasty right
    from the start). He was taken away in the ambo but at least he had a smile
    on his face as he was being loaded in. The ironic part was that I had
    noticed him as he left transition as he had kneepads/shinguards on as if he
    was about to do a downhill event but I guess they didn't do much for him
    (unless they stopped him losing skin on the handlebars on the way over).

    Ride On,

    Gags

  5. Bailes

    Bailes Guest

    never seen someone win an XC race getting big air, David Cullen won a DH
    worlds once by jumping an entire bridge and missing a chairlift gondola by a
    few inches. First ever XC race I did a guy ended up paralyzed down half his
    body after miss timing a jump. My friends had to do the first aid and still
    wonder how that guy is doing to this day.
    Ride to race another day.

  6. RobWoozle

    RobWoozle Guest

    Gags wrote:
    > Yesterday I got up early and drove from Melb to Beechworth to support

    my
    > neice in a 6 hour race in Beechworth. I also took my two kids along

    to give
    > the wife a day by herself.

    <SNIP>
    > Ride On,
    >
    > Gags

    All she needs now is 3 friends about the same speed and there's the
    makings of an awesome 24hr team ;-)

    Rego for the MONT 24hr opens in a couple of months - start planning!!

    Rob

  7. jazmo

    jazmo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    That's great news Gags! Only overshadowed by that C31 guy telling you that "The Gooch" will be on tonight. :D

    Say well done to Lindsay. That's a great effort!

  8. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

    "RobWoozle" wrote ...

    > All she needs now is 3 friends about the same speed and there's the
    > makings of an awesome 24hr team ;-)
    >
    > Rego for the MONT 24hr opens in a couple of months - start planning!!

    Sounds like she's ready to go solo.

    178 days until the start

    Parbs