RR: Beer. Fix. Rush.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Corvus Corvax, May 1, 2003.

  1. It's a supremely frustrating day at work. I get home, pop open a Brooklyn Pilsener, and put on NIN
    while I get into my bike shorts and get my Camelbak together. Out the door and uptown on the Surly
    to the "Little Red Lighthouse" underneath the George Washington Bridge. An easy spin. warmup. Back
    downtown on Riverside -- I'm in a sporting mood, so I hit eleventh avenue instead of the Greenway
    south from 72nd St. to 42nd St. Rush hour on 11th Ave. in Midtown is a hoot on the fix, and I only
    have to dab a few times. Onto the Greenway at 42nd St. and downtown. A cab pulls a typical
    bonehead maneuver outside Chelsea Piers, pulls right out in front of me while I have the green,
    not even looking. I saw it coming clear as day, but I skid the rear wheel, make it look worse than
    it is, and get into a shouting match with the cab driver. I notice a pretty girl in the back of
    the cab as I start to ride off, and I lean down to the open window as I pass by and say to her,
    "Please don't give him a tip." And I'm off, downtown, downtown, and finally I stop for a pint of
    Bass at Foxhounds, Liberty St. and South End Ave. Nice folks, and they let you bring your bike
    onto the patio with you. Refreshed, I head back uptown. Some nitwit on an OCLV latches onto my
    rear wheel like a pilot fish, and I have to slow to a crawl before he figures out I don't want him
    drafting me. Sigh.

    I head back into traffic at 72nd St. and dodge cars the rest of the way home. Beer. Fix. Rush. One
    hundred percent fun.

    CC

    Tags:

  2. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On 1 May 2003 17:57:11 -0700, [email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote:

    >It's a supremely frustrating day at work. I get home, pop open a Brooklyn Pilsener, and put on NIN
    >while I get into my bike shorts and get my Camelbak together. Out the door and uptown on the Surly
    >to the "Little Red Lighthouse" underneath the George Washington Bridge. An easy spin. warmup. Back
    >downtown on Riverside -- I'm in a sporting mood, so I hit eleventh avenue instead of the Greenway
    >south from 72nd St. to 42nd St. Rush hour on 11th Ave. in Midtown is a hoot on the fix, and I only
    >have to dab a few times. Onto the Greenway at 42nd St. and downtown. A cab pulls a typical bonehead
    >maneuver outside Chelsea Piers, pulls right out in front of me while I have the green, not even
    >looking. I saw it coming clear as day, but I skid the rear wheel, make it look worse than it is,
    >and get into a shouting match with the cab driver. I notice a pretty girl in the back of the cab as
    >I start to ride off, and I lean down to the open window as I pass by and say to her, "Please don't
    >give him a tip." And I'm off, downtown, downtown, and finally I stop for a pint of Bass at
    >Foxhounds, Liberty St. and South End Ave. Nice folks, and they let you bring your bike onto the
    >patio with you. Refreshed, I head back uptown. Some nitwit on an OCLV latches onto my rear wheel
    >like a pilot fish, and I have to slow to a crawl before he figures out I don't want him drafting
    >me. Sigh.
    >
    >I head back into traffic at 72nd St. and dodge cars the rest of the way home. Beer. Fix. Rush. One
    >hundred percent fun.
    >
    >CC

    Nice, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    :-]

  3. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I head back into traffic at 72nd St. and dodge cars the rest of the way home. Beer. Fix. Rush. One
    > hundred percent fun.
    >
    > CC

    Sound like one of those British ride where you stop for a couple of pints midway through.

    Mike - I could get to like that. ;^)

  4. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >

    > > I head back into traffic at 72nd St. and dodge cars the rest of the way home. Beer. Fix. Rush.
    > > One hundred percent fun.
    > >
    > > CC
    >
    > Sound like one of those British ride where you stop for a couple of pints midway through.
    >
    > Mike - I could get to like that. ;^)

    I don't remember a club ride where we haven't stopped for beer at lunch time, except maybe the first
    one....... It's Alex see, big old red faced retired guy, he leads most of the rides, and, he likes a
    pint or two, TF.....

    Now, my own solo local rides, well - that there's a whole 'nother story...........

  5. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Michael Dart wrote:

    >>I head back into traffic at 72nd St. and dodge cars the rest of the way home. Beer. Fix. Rush. One
    >>hundred percent fun.
    >>

    > Sound like one of those British ride where you stop for a couple of pints midway through.

    Don't forget quarter-way through, five eighths of the way through and the celebration drinks at the
    end for completing the mile and a half circuit :)

    > Mike - I could get to like that. ;^)

    Just don't follow Corvus' example of drinking Bass...

  6. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It's a supremely frustrating day at work. I get home, pop open a Brooklyn Pilsener, and put on NIN
    > while I get into my bike shorts and get my Camelbak together. Out the door and uptown on the Surly
    > to the "Little Red Lighthouse" underneath the George Washington Bridge. An easy spin. warmup. Back
    > downtown on Riverside -- I'm in a sporting mood, so I hit eleventh avenue instead of the Greenway
    > south from 72nd St. to 42nd St. Rush hour on 11th Ave. in Midtown is a hoot on the fix, and I only
    > have to dab a few times. Onto the Greenway at 42nd St. and downtown. A cab pulls a typical
    > bonehead maneuver outside Chelsea Piers, pulls right out in front of me while I have the green,
    > not even looking. I saw it coming clear as day, but I skid the rear wheel, make it look worse than
    > it is, and get into a shouting match with the cab driver. I notice a pretty girl in the back of
    > the cab as I start to ride off, and I lean down to the open window as I pass by and say to her,
    > "Please don't give him a tip." And I'm off, downtown, downtown, and finally I stop for a pint of
    > Bass at Foxhounds, Liberty St. and South End Ave. Nice folks, and they let you bring your bike
    > onto the patio with you. Refreshed, I head back uptown. Some nitwit on an OCLV latches onto my
    > rear wheel like a pilot fish, and I have to slow to a crawl before he figures out I don't want him
    > drafting me. Sigh.
    >
    > I head back into traffic at 72nd St. and dodge cars the rest of the way home. Beer. Fix. Rush. One
    > hundred percent fun.
    >
    > CC

    Funny. Riding in my town is exactly like this isn't. We don't even have taxis.

    Matt (in the sticks)

  7. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... <snip>

    > Just don't follow Corvus' example of drinking Bass...

    I like Bass. Newcastle too. I suppose you think they're crap. Funny how that
    is. A lot of Aussies hate Fosters, brits seem hate Bass and Newcastle. I hate Bud and most other big
    American beers. My Aussie uncle loves Bud and stocked the fridge (at an exorbitant cost) with it
    for me last I visited. I would have preferred VB or Cooper. Do you suppose the Chinese hate
    Tsing Tao?

    Matt

  8. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    MattB wrote:

    >>Just don't follow Corvus' example of drinking Bass...
    >

    > I like Bass. Newcastle too. I suppose you think they're crap.

    As the old saying goes, 'If the bottom is falling out of your world, drink Newcie Brown, and then
    the world will fall out of your bottom'.

    Newcie Brown's ok, as is Bass, but neither would rate as a beer of choice if I were in an
    English bar.

    Funny how that
    > is. A lot of Aussies hate Fosters, brits seem hate Bass and Newcastle.

    A lot of Brits hate Fosters too - it's often the cheap option in the bars, yet in Geneva, it's
    considered exclusive, and the most expensive beer you can buy.

    > hate Bud and most other big American beers. My Aussie uncle loves Bud and stocked the fridge (at
    > an exorbitant cost) with it for me last I visited. I would have preferred VB or Cooper. Do you
    > suppose the Chinese hate Tsing Tao?

    Probably. It seems to be one of those age-old things that to be considered a beer conoisseur, you
    have to drink imported beer and pan your local brews.

    As for the UK, there are some good beers (no decent lagers though, AFAIR), but they tend to be from
    smaller breweries and they're unlikely to make their way across the pond.

    As for me, my location allows me to enjoy Belgian and German beers at the moment. Tough life...

  9. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

    >MattB wrote:

    >>Funny how that
    >> is. A lot of Aussies hate Fosters, brits seem hate Bass and Newcastle.
    >
    >A lot of Brits hate Fosters too - it's often the cheap option in the bars, yet in Geneva, it's
    >considered exclusive, and the most expensive beer you can buy.

    I think the whole time I lived in Oz, I only saw a couple Aussies drinking Fosters. It used to
    crack me up to see Aussie yuppies drinking Budweiser though (with all those glorious Aussie
    alternatives going for less). I never once got homesick enough to drink a Bud (or any other
    American beer) in Oz. ;-)

  10. bomba <[email protected]> wrote

    > A lot of Brits hate Fosters too - it's often the cheap option in the bars, yet in Geneva, it's
    > considered exclusive, and the most expensive beer you can buy.

    Makes me think of an amusing confrontation I had with a bartender in Geneva. I wandered into this
    pub and ordered the first decent thing I saw on the beer list, a John Courage. Sipping that, I got
    to the rest of the beer list and realized that they had a truly excellent selection of Belgians, so
    for my second pint I ordered a Leffe. The bartenter went completely nonlinear at the thought of
    somebody having a John Courage followed by a Leffe. The nerve! He started shouting at me in French
    and waving his arms around. I eventually got my beer, but not without a hearty dose of contempt. I
    eventually made friends with this particular bartender over the next few days by coming in every
    evening and drinking geuze.

    > Probably. It seems to be one of those age-old things that to be considered a beer conoisseur, you
    > have to drink imported beer and pan your local brews.

    Yeah. I view the Bass thing as being sort of the British equivalent of American beer snobs hating
    Sam Adams, just because it's mass produced. Despite the fact that it's a very good beer.

    CC

  11. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > bomba <[email protected]> wrote
    > >
    > > A lot of Brits hate Fosters too - it's often the cheap option in the bars, yet in Geneva, it's
    > > considered exclusive, and the most expensive beer you can buy.
    >
    > Makes me think of an amusing confrontation I had with a bartender in Geneva. I wandered into this
    > pub and ordered the first decent thing I saw on the beer list, a John Courage. Sipping that, I got
    > to the rest of the beer list and realized that they had a truly excellent selection of Belgians,
    > so for my second pint I ordered a Leffe. The bartenter went completely nonlinear at the thought of
    > somebody having a John Courage followed by a Leffe. The nerve! He started shouting at me in French
    > and waving his arms around. I eventually got my beer, but not without a hearty dose of contempt. I
    > eventually made friends with this particular bartender over the next few days by coming in every
    > evening and drinking geuze.
    >
    > > Probably. It seems to be one of those age-old things that to be considered a beer conoisseur,
    > > you have to drink imported beer and pan your local brews.
    >
    > Yeah. I view the Bass thing as being sort of the British equivalent of American beer snobs hating
    > Sam Adams, just because it's mass produced. Despite the fact that it's a very good beer.
    >
    > CC

    My beef with Sam Adams is that it's too hearty. It's like drinking a milkshake. I used to love thick
    beers, but now I'm a wimp. I'm actually drinking pale ales and even a few Mexican beers. Sam Adams
    ties my stomach in knots.

    --
    Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

  12. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Corvus Corvax wrote:

    > Yeah. I view the Bass thing as being sort of the British equivalent of American beer snobs hating
    > Sam Adams, just because it's mass produced. Despite the fact that it's a very good beer.

    It will do in a pinch but I wouldn't go seeking it out.

    Greg

  13. Chris Breen

    Chris Breen Guest

    > Michael Dart wrote:
    >
    > >>I head back into traffic at 72nd St. and dodge cars the rest of the way home. Beer. Fix. Rush.
    > >>One hundred percent fun.
    > >>

    > > Sound like one of those British ride where you stop for a couple of
    pints
    > > midway through.
    >
    > Don't forget quarter-way through, five eighths of the way through and the celebration drinks at
    > the end for completing the mile and a half circuit :)
    >
    > > Mike - I could get to like that. ;^)
    >
    > Just don't follow Corvus' example of drinking Bass...
    >
    > --
    > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    >
    > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

    Bass real ale (from the wood) can be pretty good. This is obviously not the Bass sold in the US,
    which I think is an IPA (not sure of this though), not sure which Bass it equates to in Britain.

    Chris

    still better than any AB product

  14. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    > MattB wrote:
    >
    > >>Just don't follow Corvus' example of drinking Bass...
    > >

    > > I like Bass. Newcastle too. I suppose you think they're crap.
    >
    > As the old saying goes, 'If the bottom is falling out of your world, drink Newcie Brown, and then
    > the world will fall out of your bottom'.
    >
    > Newcie Brown's ok, as is Bass, but neither would rate as a beer of choice if I were in an
    > English bar.
    >
    > Funny how that
    > > is. A lot of Aussies hate Fosters, brits seem hate Bass and Newcastle.
    >
    > A lot of Brits hate Fosters too - it's often the cheap option in the bars, yet in Geneva, it's
    > considered exclusive, and the most expensive beer you can buy.

    > > hate Bud and most other big American beers. My Aussie uncle loves Bud
    and
    > > stocked the fridge (at an exorbitant cost) with it for me last I
    visited. I
    > > would have preferred VB or Cooper. Do you suppose the Chinese hate Tsing Tao?
    >
    > Probably. It seems to be one of those age-old things that to be considered a beer conoisseur, you
    > have to drink imported beer and pan your local brews.
    >
    > As for the UK, there are some good beers (no decent lagers though, AFAIR), but they tend to be
    > from smaller breweries and they're unlikely to make their way across the pond.
    >
    > As for me, my location allows me to enjoy Belgian and German beers at the moment. Tough life...

    Funny thing that is. I too love Belgian beers. If I had to choose only one nationality of beer to
    drink from this day forward it would be Belgian. I haven't found a Belgian beer I didn't like. Ever
    had Golden Kerolis (probably botched the spelling)? Yummy and very high alcohol content. That's
    probably why I can never remember how it's spelled.

    Last time I was in London (quite a while ago) I got some Ruddles Country Ale and it was sublime.
    Never seen it on this side. I'd buy it if I did. Of course I'm not exactly in the beer importing
    capitol of the United States, so it's quite possibly available somewhere over here.

    Matt (living in the beer importing capitol of Gunnison County)

  15. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    MattB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Last time I was in London (quite a while ago) I got some Ruddles Country
    Ale
    > and it was sublime. Never seen it on this side. I'd buy it if I did. Of course I'm not exactly
    > in the beer importing capitol of the United States, so it's quite possibly available somewhere
    > over here.

    That's 'Ruddles County' Matt, and yeah, 'sOK.

    T^ry and search out something from the Hopback (Summer Lightning is a great, well hopped summer ale,
    or there's Thunderstorm, like it sounds........whooooo........) brewery for a classic.

    Shaun aRe

  16. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    I LOVE Brooklyn Brown,which I can grab at the packy a mile from here. If you don't know where here
    is New London Ct.

    Fire up MTB 03

  17. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    > MattB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > Last time I was in London (quite a while ago) I got some Ruddles Country
    > Ale
    > > and it was sublime. Never seen it on this side. I'd buy it if I did. Of course I'm not exactly
    > > in the beer importing capitol of the United
    States,
    > > so it's quite possibly available somewhere over here.
    >

    > That's 'Ruddles County' Matt, and yeah, 'sOK.
    >
    > T^ry and search out something from the Hopback (Summer Lightning is a
    great,
    > well hopped summer ale, or there's Thunderstorm, like it sounds........whooooo........) brewery
    > for a classic.
    >
    > Shaun aRe

    Ah, thanks for the correction. It was good, whatever you call it. Not much

    Tell ya' what, you bring me some good beer from over there and I'll show you some nice trails. Deal?

    Matt

  18. [email protected] wrote i

    > Now you can try the cliffs on the other side of the river.

    Gordo's done River Road on his fix. I'm not quite there yet -- I swap onto a 20-tooth freewheel for
    that ride.

    CC

  19. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    MattB wrote:

    > Tell ya' what, you bring me some good beer from over there and I'll show you some nice
    > trails. Deal?

    Ooh, sir, pick me!

  20. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    > MattB wrote:
    >
    > > Tell ya' what, you bring me some good beer from over there and I'll show
    you
    > > some nice trails. Deal?
    >
    > Ooh, sir, pick me!

    Why don't you all come? The extra beer shouldn't be a problem...

    Matt