RR: [BNE] Murarrie Crits, D-grade, 16DEC2006.

Absent Husband

Guest
Hey all,

Rocked up to Murarrie for the crits on Saturday morning. The plan was
to step up and have a crack at C-grade for the last crit of the
year....

At rego, I said to the ladies, "C this week thanks..." - but they said
they couldn't change my grade, and to check with the commissaire (Club
Prez Gino).

So i said: "Gino - can I try C-grade this week??"
Gino: "Well, have you had any results in D??"
Me: "Well no. But I', finishing with the group OK, and I wanted to see
if I could handle the pace in C..."
Gino: "Well, no. I'd rather you stayed in D....".

So how about that - a handicapper holding someone down!! Somewhat
chastened, I headed back and signed on for the D race....

So, 40min + 3 laps. About 20 competitors all up. Race went well - I
stayed in the top half the whole way around, which was great.

A few laps in, a guy I was passing on the left moved left, and his left
foot brushed my front wheel..... Luckily I stayed relaxed and it was
all good!! Then I felt a 'clunk' on my back wheel when someone's front
hit me!! I waited for the screams from behind, but everyone stayed
upright.... Fortunately it was all incident free after that!!

I was too far back (about 10th wheel) as we swung onto the home
straight for the Prime. But I learnt a lot from that, and had a better
idea of where to be for the final run home.

A breakaway of 4 riders took off at 3 laps to go. I had just finished a
turn (unusual for me!), and missed it!! I knew they were good riders
too.... I looked around, and no-one was willing to work to bridge. So
half a lap later, I put the head down and went for it!! Took me a full
half-lap to bridge, but was glad to make it!! A few others succeeded in
bridging as well a bit later - so with half-a-lap to go all up, there
were 8 of us in the bunch......

Swung onto the home straight, and it was on!! I think I was a bit
slower off the mark, and the first 4 gapped the rest of us by about
10m... I put the head down and stomped as hard as I could. Managed to
come up behind, then beside the 4th place-getter, but just missed by
less than half-a-wheel!!

Still - 5th is my best ever result, and I was stoked to be a part of
the finish. Now, just got to spend some time on those sprint drills
Carl gave me!!! :D

Cheers all,
Abby

Absent Husband said:
[...]

I too felt the pang of the new rego rules! Oh well, I think its kinda good in a way, you must get your results to move on up...

Rhino-x wrote:

> I too felt the pang of the new rego rules! Oh well, I think its kinda
> good in a way, you must get your results to move on up...

It's a good thing to win your way up, it means you've learned how to
win, not just how to survive. As you go up, you'll appreciate it.

Absent Husband wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Rocked up to Murarrie for the crits on Saturday morning. The plan was
> to step up and have a crack at C-grade for the last crit of the
> year....
>
> At rego, I said to the ladies, "C this week thanks..." - but they said
> they couldn't change my grade, and to check with the commissaire (Club
> Prez Gino).
>
> So i said: "Gino - can I try C-grade this week??"
> Gino: "Well, have you had any results in D??"
> Me: "Well no. But I', finishing with the group OK, and I wanted to see
> if I could handle the pace in C..."
> Gino: "Well, no. I'd rather you stayed in D....".
>
> So how about that - a handicapper holding someone down!! Somewhat
> chastened, I headed back and signed on for the D race....
>
> So, 40min + 3 laps. About 20 competitors all up. Race went well - I
> stayed in the top half the whole way around, which was great.
>
> A few laps in, a guy I was passing on the left moved left, and his left
> foot brushed my front wheel..... Luckily I stayed relaxed and it was
> all good!! Then I felt a 'clunk' on my back wheel when someone's front
> hit me!! I waited for the screams from behind, but everyone stayed
> upright.... Fortunately it was all incident free after that!!
>
> I was too far back (about 10th wheel) as we swung onto the home
> straight for the Prime. But I learnt a lot from that, and had a better
> idea of where to be for the final run home.
>
> A breakaway of 4 riders took off at 3 laps to go. I had just finished a
> turn (unusual for me!), and missed it!! I knew they were good riders
> too.... I looked around, and no-one was willing to work to bridge. So
> half a lap later, I put the head down and went for it!! Took me a full
> half-lap to bridge, but was glad to make it!! A few others succeeded in
> bridging as well a bit later - so with half-a-lap to go all up, there
> were 8 of us in the bunch......
>
> Swung onto the home straight, and it was on!! I think I was a bit
> slower off the mark, and the first 4 gapped the rest of us by about
> 10m... I put the head down and stomped as hard as I could. Managed to
> come up behind, then beside the 4th place-getter, but just missed by
> less than half-a-wheel!!
>
> Still - 5th is my best ever result, and I was stoked to be a part of
> the finish. Now, just got to spend some time on those sprint drills
> Carl gave me!!! :D
>
> Cheers all,
> Abby

Nice one Abby. Just make your move before you get old - after a break
of a few years I came back thinking I could move up from C grade, but
I'm having an awful struggle to get near the front for the money laps,
and wonder if I've left it too late.

Donga

Absent Husband wrote:

> Still - 5th is my best ever result, and I was stoked to be a part of
> the finish. Now, just got to spend some time on those sprint drills
> Carl gave me!!! :D

Bloody ripper Abby. I'm racing the last crit of the year tomorrow night
and hope to finish with the pack in D! You're RR has given me a bit
more mental power to get there!

--
Bean

"I've got a bike
You can ride it if you like
It's got a basket
A bell that rings
And things to make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could
But I borrowed it" Pink Floyd

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Rhino-x wrote:

> Absent Husband Wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Rocked up to Murarrie for the crits on Saturday morning. The plan was
> > to step up and have a crack at C-grade for the last crit of the
> > year....
> >
> > At rego, I said to the ladies, "C this week thanks..." - but they said
> > they couldn't change my grade, and to check with the commissaire (Club
> > Prez Gino).
> >
> > So i said: "Gino - can I try C-grade this week??"
> > Gino: "Well, have you had any results in D??"
> > Me: "Well no. But I', finishing with the group OK, and I wanted to see
> > if I could handle the pace in C..."
> > Gino: "Well, no. I'd rather you stayed in D....".
> >
> > So how about that - a handicapper holding someone down!! Somewhat
> > chastened, I headed back and signed on for the D race....

<snip>

> I too felt the pang of the new rego rules! Oh well, I think its kinda
> good in a way, you must get your results to move on up...

It's a worry - is that just a club-level thing, or is SEQ
doing it? That is, if I race D Grade at Murarrie, does that
basically ban me from racing anywhere else that only goes
down to C Grade?

Tam

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> It's a worry - is that just a club-level thing, or is SEQ
> doing it? That is, if I race D Grade at Murarrie, does that
> basically ban me from racing anywhere else that only goes
> down to C Grade?
>
> Tam

Nah - I'm assuming that this is a club-only decision. I don't think
that handicappers actually talk to each other. It would be good if they
did tho' - a fairer system all round!!

I'm hoping to get out to Nundah for the twilight crits tomorrow arvo.
Knowing their handicapper, he'll have me racing B-grade.....
:rollseyes:

Apart from the club crits, I don't think there are any races that go
down further than C-grade in SE Qld anyway, are there?? I assume that
if I enter those, I'll just go straight into C.....

Cheers,
Abby

Absent Husband wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
> > It's a worry - is that just a club-level thing, or is SEQ
> > doing it? That is, if I race D Grade at Murarrie, does that
> > basically ban me from racing anywhere else that only goes
> > down to C Grade?
> >
> > Tam

> Nah - I'm assuming that this is a club-only decision. I don't think
> that handicappers actually talk to each other. It would be good if they
> did tho' - a fairer system all round!!
>
> I'm hoping to get out to Nundah for the twilight crits tomorrow arvo.
> Knowing their handicapper, he'll have me racing B-grade.....
> :rollseyes:
>
> Apart from the club crits, I don't think there are any races that go
> down further than C-grade in SE Qld anyway, are there?? I assume that
> if I enter those, I'll just go straight into C.....
>
> Cheers,
> Abby

Oooh, maybe I should come out to Nundah...

Tam

Tamyka Bell wrote:

> Oooh, maybe I should come out to Nundah...
>
> Tam

YES!! You should!!

Abby

Good work Abby.

A couple of races next year and you will find yourself in C-Grade no problems. Just have to make sure you keep the k's up over the Xmas break. (Grumble...I dont have a replacement roadie frame yet so I will be getting fat over the holidays :( )

Paulie-AU said:
Good work Abby.

A couple of races next year and you will find yourself in C-Grade no problems. Just have to make sure you keep the k's up over the Xmas break. (Grumble...I dont have a replacement roadie frame yet so I will be getting fat over the holidays :( )

Paulie - I have two if you want to borrow one (one bare frame/fork) one built bike.

Abby - I will do my best to get you in D grade with Suz tomorrow.

Tam - you have to race B grade :)

Adam

Paulie - Thanks for the encouragement! But being of wog extraction, I
fear that the inevitable Christmas feast may set me back a little....
*laughs* Anyway, you can at least rack up some MTB time to keep the
Chrissy cheer off, yeah??

Adam - thanks mate!! But I suppose that means I have to give Suz a
lead-out??? *grins*

Tam - come on mate, join the D-grade train!! Anyway, I need someone to
hold my hand - I'm a bit scared of riding Sandgate Road during peak
hour!!

Cheers,
Abby

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 09:35:24 +1100, Bean Long
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Bloody ripper Abby. I'm racing the last crit of the year tomorrow night
>and hope to finish with the pack in D! You're RR has given me a bit
>more mental power to get there!

Just finished 2nd in F-grade (of 5) at Stromlo(anti-clockwise) and it
was for money! $3, only paid 5 or 2 more than usual.
My brief injury spell back in G has helped my ability to hurt myself,
easier if you're in contention.

Good Luck for tommorrow Bean.

Andre

Aeek wrote:

> Just finished 2nd in F-grade (of 5) at Stromlo(anti-clockwise) and it
> was for money! $3, only paid 5 or 2 more than usual.
> My brief injury spell back in G has helped my ability to hurt myself,
> easier if you're in contention.
>
> Good Luck for tommorrow Bean.
>
> Andre

Hehe! Well done Andre! Looks like rain but I've ridden to work anyway
on the chance we get to race this arvo. Special Christmas Crit and fund
raiser for Paul Crake... should be a hoot!

If I don't see you before, have a great Xmas. I'm off down south to do
the relative thing for the holidays.

--

Paulie-AU said:
Good work Abby.

A couple of races next year and you will find yourself in C-Grade no problems. Just have to make sure you keep the k's up over the Xmas break. (Grumble...I dont have a replacement roadie frame yet so I will be getting fat over the holidays :( )
And if your tall, I have spare 58-60cm frames sitting somewhere....

Rhino-x wrote:
> Paulie-AU Wrote:
> > Good work Abby.
> >
> > A couple of races next year and you will find yourself in C-Grade no
> > problems. Just have to make sure you keep the k's up over the Xmas
> > break. (Grumble...I dont have a replacement roadie frame yet so I will
> > be getting fat over the holidays :( )

> And if your tall, I have spare 58-60cm frames sitting somewhere....

I might be interested in one or two of these for some large young lads
- will PM you through RoadGrime.

Donga

Donga said:
I might be interested in one or two of these for some large young lads - will PM you through RoadGrime.
Donga, are you trying to lure young boys with bike prawn?