RR: Boring but nevertheless a ride

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Zilla, Apr 3, 2003.

  1. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    After 2 months of cold, ice, snow, rain, and 2 weeks after a minor birth-control surgery ("v"), it
    was 80 deg F and sunny and I just had to ride. So I checked out the American Tobacco Trail which is
    part of the NC Rails-to-Trails system.

    http://www.ncrail-trails.org/trtc/PHOTOS.HTM

    The completed portion goes for 6.5 mi. 1 way of "paved" trail about 6' wide, with a 1' shoulder on
    each side. It snaked through the town of Durham NC. I thought some of it was going to be dirt but I
    was wrong - it was all paved. I rode the first couple of miles on my (overkill) FS (the only bike I
    have) on the pavement but I got tired of the hum the knobbies made so I started riding on the
    shoulder - much better. After all I had a mountain bike. At least I was riding on dirt now, and the
    hum disappeared and my tires don't wear out as fast. I rode the one way non-stop (only
    6.5 mi. remember?) and I was, to my surprise, not tired at all. I met a couple of joggers and a kid
    on roller blades going the opposite way. Once I got to the end of the trail, I took five,
    stretched a little, and then headed back. I met the same joggers and kid on roller blade again,
    and a couple of other bikers. My allergies started to get the best of me and I was sneezing and
    sniffling and blowing out jonesies while riding. I finally made it back to the car and checked out
    my bike 'puter, which read, 13.0 mi. total, avg. speed of 12 mph, total time of 1 hr and 2 mins.
    Again amazinly I wasn't tired - even after 2 months off the saddle.

    Tomorrow the single tracks should be opened so I'll be riding them for a much less boring ride. But
    like I said, it was a ride! And it felt good to the body and soul...

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

    Tags:

  2. Chris Breen

    Chris Breen Guest

    "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > After 2 months of cold, ice, snow, rain, and 2 weeks after a minor birth-control surgery ("v"), it
    > was 80 deg F and sunny and I just had to ride. So I checked out the American Tobacco Trail which
    > is part of the NC Rails-to-Trails system.
    >
    > http://www.ncrail-trails.org/trtc/PHOTOS.HTM
    snip
    > Tomorrow the single tracks should be opened so I'll be riding them for a much less boring ride.
    > But like I said, it was a ride! And it felt good to the body and soul...
    >
    > --
    > - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)
    Zilla, sounds like we are in the same area. Which trails do you ride? High School? New Light? The
    weather has sucked here for riding, hope they dry out fast. Cheers, Chris.

  3. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 17:55:05 -0500, "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >After 2 months of cold, ice, snow, rain, and 2 weeks after a minor birth-control surgery ("v"), it
    >was 80 deg F and sunny and I just had to ride. So I checked out the American Tobacco Trail which is
    >part of the NC Rails-to-Trails system.
    >
    >http://www.ncrail-trails.org/trtc/PHOTOS.HTM

    [snip good rr]

    Nice Zilla. Have you ever ridden the Tsali trails? I'll be checking them out in August. I read that
    they're some of the best in NC. Just wanted to see what you think.

    :-]