RR/BR:Out with the old in with the new

Jimbo

Guest
I finally got my Fix... Fix gear that is... After the adventures in shopping and coming up dry... I
was able to get the bike in the right size from Sheldon Brown. I had been fitted but was getting a
mixed feeling of the sizing. I decided to go with the fit kit info and get the 55cm. I opened the
bike and as I assembled the bike I got the feeling I had made a massive mistake. The top tube looked
a bit short. Carla reassured me that I should finish before I judge.... Once I had the bike
together... Stock... meaning... no brakes... no levers.. I was about jumping up and down... Carla
held the door open and told me to go try it... I threw on a helmet and went... The weather has
finally broken here and summer has come on in spades.. It was hot and sticky out... I jumped on the
bike and took off. The breeze hit me. I realized I was going at a good clip with no effort... This
bike is smooth... so smooth. I took a few standing sprints and didn't feel any resisitance... Every
bit of energy on the pedals is directed to the cranks, which directs the power the drive train. No
power loss, no noise. So effortless. The bike doesn't let you coast in the classic sense you really
just have to stop trying and the cranks roll on their own... your legs attached... Stopping is
really just a matter of timing and putting a push on the upstroke. I wouldn't reccomend it on a
daily basis, but for a short time the bike is pure. Nothing but frame, wheels and drive train...
Perfect in it's simplicity.

When I got back to the apartment and I guess by the ear to ear grin Carla didn't really need to ask
if I liked it or not... The bike fit perfectly... While Carla put on her bike shoes and did the
appropriate moves to get her Fixie out of tangle of bikes. I made some last minute adjustments to
the saddle height and we took a twilight Fixie ride in the neighborhood... Carla has adjusted to
direct drive nicely and is able to make adjustments to her speed without stress by good planning.
Carla would head into the intersection slightly ahead of me and call if was clear... and I was able
to ride brakless this way with no problems. As I said the night was hot and we made a few miles just
talking and spinning... totally relaxed ride. Plans are being hatched to make the neighborhood ride
a daily occurrence. Just a lazy paced time to share the bikes with none of the trappings of
bikedom... just ride to ride... What a beautiful thing the fixies are.

Jimbo(san)

Jimbo(san) says:

>What a beautiful thing the fixies are.

OK - he's well hooked. ;-))

Carla - if he tries to bring that thing to bed, you might want to start worrying......

Steve

Stephen Baker wrote:

> Jimbo(san) says:
>
> >What a beautiful thing the fixies are.
>
> OK - he's well hooked. ;-))
>
> Carla - if he tries to bring that thing to bed, you might want to start worrying......
>
> Steve

I have been hooked for years... It doesn't go to bed with me... That is reserved for the SS's when
they arrive ;-P

Jimbo(san)

"jimbo(san)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Stephen Baker wrote:
>
> > Jimbo(san) says:
> >
> > >What a beautiful thing the fixies are.
> >
> > OK - he's well hooked. ;-))
> >
> > Carla - if he tries to bring that thing to bed, you might want to start worrying......
> >
> > Steve
>
> I have been hooked for years... It doesn't go to bed with me... That is reserved for the SS's when
> they arrive ;-P
>
> Jimbo(san)

Just make sure you take them in the shower first. You wouldn't want the sheets to get dirty.

~CG

"jimbo(san)" <[email protected]> wrote

> No power loss, no noise. So effortless.

Yeah, baby. It's the total silence from the bike that blows me away when I ride my fix. Nothing save
the whir of rubber on pavement and the visceral feel of your own momentum. Sublime.

We need to do a ride before we're out of town. I'll email you.

CC

[email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "jimbo(san)" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > No power loss, no noise. So effortless.
>
> Yeah, baby. It's the total silence from the bike that blows me away when I ride my fix. Nothing
> save the whir of rubber on pavement and the visceral feel of your own momentum. Sublime.
>
> We need to do a ride before we're out of town. I'll email you.
>
> CC

Include me in! /s

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:19:08 -0400, "jimbo(san)" <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip good news]

> I took a few standing sprints and didn't feel any resisitance... Every bit of energy on the pedals
> is directed to the cranks, which directs the power the drive train. No power loss, no noise. So
> effortless. The bike doesn't let you coast in the classic sense you really just have to stop
> trying and the cranks roll on their own... your legs attached... Stopping is really just a matter
> of timing and putting a push on the upstroke. I wouldn't reccomend it on a daily basis, but for a
> short time the bike is pure. Nothing but frame, wheels and drive train... Perfect in it's
> simplicity.

Sounds too good to be true, very nice.

[snip other stuff]

>Plans are being hatched to make the neighborhood ride a daily occurrence. Just a lazy paced time to
>share the bikes with none of the trappings of bikedom... just ride to ride... What a beautiful
>thing the fixies are.
>
>Jimbo(san)

Fixies sound a little Tricksie to me. I'll never forget the time when my freehub seized up about 5
miles deep into the woods....bloody pain in the @ss I had riding that thing out.

Ride safe, Bill

:-]