RR: Brief and to the point...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Westie, Apr 26, 2003.

  1. Westie

    Westie Guest

    Got out for a decent ride. Still taking it easy after having the appendix out but managed to throw
    the bike on the rack on the back of the car and drive the 10km out to the trailhead. Had to move
    fast - it's early winter here and it gets dark at 6.00pm now. Unloaded and I was off. Rode some
    tarmac and then dropped over into some beech forest. Farm roads, gravelled, slightly downhill, fast,
    windy and easy. Just fun. (pic is a bit blurry) http://www.pbase.com/image/15913684

    Then onto easy forestry access roads. http://www.pbase.com/image/15913695

    This road follows the river below for the most part. It makes for some pretty views.
    http://www.pbase.com/image/15913688

    Lotsa brown trout in this river for those that enjoy their fly-fishing. After stopping for that I
    climbed up a branch of the road that climbs up the ridge and reaches into the sky if you go far
    enough. I wasn't going to do that today. I only went a couple of km's. I figured that I'd had enough
    as I began to taste that metallic taste from over-exerted lungs. I needed a bit of a workout though.
    Push all the fluff and work stress out. Stopped for a breather and a photo at the top before
    starting back. http://www.pbase.com/image/15913930

    The downhill back to the intersection was a nice reward - jumping small branches and stones as my
    speedo ticked over at 45km/hour kept me on my toes enough for today. I didn't want to risk going any
    faster than that on this track. While it looks smooth as a babies bottom in the photo, most of it
    has been gravelled for traction on the steep clay track. Falling hurts at that speed and today I had
    a scar that would hurt if I fell!

    Nothing too tricky. All good tracks and for the most part the most dangerous thing to watch out for
    is the sheep shit that sticks to the tyres and then arcs gracefully towards your face as it
    releases... It was nice to be back on the bike again.
    --
    Westie

    Tags:

  2. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 22:15:56 +1200, Westie wrote:

    > It was nice to be back on the bike again.

    SEEMS LIKE it would be! It just refuses to stop raining here. Only been off-road one time, and that
    was fireroads. There's just something not right about guys from England having the dry trails. :)

    Nice pics, BTW!

  3. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On 26 Apr 2003 16:03:31 GMT, BB wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 22:15:56 +1200, Westie wrote:
    >
    >> It was nice to be back on the bike again.
    >
    > SEEMS LIKE it would be! It just refuses to stop raining here. Only been off-road one time, and
    > that was fireroads. There's just something not right about guys from England having the dry
    > trails. :)
    ^^^^^^^

    Sorry, I forgot you were from that other hemisphere...

  4. Martees

    Martees Guest

  5. Jack Black

    Jack Black Guest

    Where abouts do you ride? Also, none of your links worked for me...
    :-(

    Jack

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 22:15:56 +1200, "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote:

  6. Westie

    Westie Guest

    Jack Black wrote:
    > Where abouts do you ride?

    The Nelson area, South Island, New Zealand generally. Nelson Lakes & Abel Tasman areas specifically.

    >Also, none of your links worked for me...

    That was an old, now expired, PBase account. I haven't got the pics up any where else at the
    moment, sorry :-(
    --
    Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)