rr: broken finger

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Edwards

While descending back towards aspen, and flowing the government trail quite nicely- my front tire
high sided the trail, and I just touched the front brake. Mind you I was going at least 18-20 mph.

Whammo- the bikes' front tire washes out with no warning and I am headed straight down head first. I
hit the terra firma with my elbow then shoulder and instinctively go into a "tuck roll". Well, my
free hand gets awkwardly caught on the ground and the middle finger gets bent backwards audibly
snapping it at the second joint. I hear the "crick" and know something was broken. Not to mention
the other fingers which also bend back to the hand.

I knew immediately that I broke something. Looking down, I notice the middle finger pointing in two
different directions. The pain was hot and I was still woozy from the impact. I knew it was either
set the finger now, or go have a doc do it for a pretty penny. So I reluctantly grabbed hold of the
lower part of the digit and tugged out until it "cricked" back into place. It hurt- and also felt
good at the same time. Luckily I was less than 100 yards from the end of the trail and was able to
get on the pavement and limp home with one good hand.

Guess I will be dusting off the old road bike...

-ME

Edwards wrote:
> While descending back towards aspen, and flowing the government trail quite nicely- my front tire
> high sided the trail, and I just touched the front brake. Mind you I was going at least 18-20 mph.
>
> Whammo- the bikes' front tire washes out with no warning and I am headed straight down head first.
> I hit the terra firma with my elbow then shoulder and instinctively go into a "tuck roll". Well,
> my free hand gets awkwardly caught on the ground and the middle finger gets bent backwards audibly
> snapping it at the second joint. I hear the "crick" and know something was broken. Not to mention
> the other fingers which also bend back to the hand.
>
> I knew immediately that I broke something. Looking down, I notice the middle finger pointing in
> two different directions. The pain was hot and I was still woozy from the impact. I knew it was
> either set the finger now, or go have a doc do it for a pretty penny. So I reluctantly grabbed
> hold of the lower part of the digit and tugged out until it "cricked" back into place. It hurt-
> and also felt good at the same time. Luckily I was less than 100 yards from the end of the trail
> and was able to get on the pavement and limp home with one good hand.
>
> Guess I will be dusting off the old road bike...
>
> -ME

I can imagine: Unngggyyyaaaahhhhh! Nice ride report. Much more exciting than mine.

--
--
Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

"Edwards" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:YciOa.27977$Ix2.11500@rwcrnsc54...
> While descending back towards aspen, and flowing the government trail
quite
> nicely- my front tire high sided the trail, and I just touched the front brake. Mind you I was
> going at least 18-20 mph.
>
> Whammo- the bikes' front tire washes out with no warning and I am headed straight down head first.
> I hit the terra firma with my elbow then
shoulder
> and instinctively go into a "tuck roll". Well, my free hand gets
awkwardly
> caught on the ground and the middle finger gets bent backwards audibly snapping it at the second
> joint. I hear the "crick" and know something
was
> broken. Not to mention the other fingers which also bend back to the
hand.
>
> I knew immediately that I broke something. Looking down, I notice the middle finger pointing in
> two different directions. The pain was hot and
I
> was still woozy from the impact. I knew it was either set the finger now, or go have a doc do it
> for a pretty penny. So I reluctantly grabbed hold
of
> the lower part of the digit and tugged out until it "cricked" back into place. It hurt- and also
> felt good at the same time. Luckily I was less than 100 yards from the end of the trail and was
> able to get on the
pavement
> and limp home with one good hand.

>

I'd suggest getting the finger seen to first - you Hard Man, you. ;-) Hope that it heals straight.
--
Westie

nah- a little athletic tape around the swollen digit-and call it good..

-no more guitar for awhile tho :(
--
ME

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "Edwards" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:YciOa.27977$Ix2.11500@rwcrnsc54...
> > While descending back towards aspen, and flowing the government trail
> quite
> > nicely- my front tire high sided the trail, and I just touched the front brake. Mind you I was
> > going at least 18-20 mph.
> >
> > Whammo- the bikes' front tire washes out with no warning and I am headed straight down head
> > first. I hit the terra firma with my elbow then
> shoulder
> > and instinctively go into a "tuck roll". Well, my free hand gets
> awkwardly
> > caught on the ground and the middle finger gets bent backwards audibly snapping it at the second
> > joint. I hear the "crick" and know something
> was
> > broken. Not to mention the other fingers which also bend back to the
> hand.
> >
> > I knew immediately that I broke something. Looking down, I notice the middle finger pointing in
> > two different directions. The pain was hot
and
> I
> > was still woozy from the impact. I knew it was either set the finger
now,
> > or go have a doc do it for a pretty penny. So I reluctantly grabbed
hold
> of
> > the lower part of the digit and tugged out until it "cricked" back into place. It hurt- and also
> > felt good at the same time. Luckily I was
less
> > than 100 yards from the end of the trail and was able to get on the
> pavement
> > and limp home with one good hand.
>
> >
> > Guess I will be dusting off the old road bike...
>
> I'd suggest getting the finger seen to first - you Hard Man, you. ;-) Hope that it heals straight.
> --
> Westie

Edwards wrote:
> nah- a little athletic tape around the swollen digit-and call it good..
>
> -no more guitar for awhile tho :(
> --
> ME
>

As a sometimes-serious volleyball player, I've had my share of finger injuries (but no breaks). I
hear the doctor makes sure it's straight, maybe give you a cast, and that's about it,.

--
--
Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

"Edwards" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:YciOa.27977$Ix2.11500@rwcrnsc54...
quite
> nicely- my front tire high sided the trail, and I just touched the front brake. Mind you I was
>
shoulder
awkwardly
> caught on the ground and the middle finger gets bent backwards audibly snapping it at the second
was
hand.
>
I
> was still woozy from the impact. I knew it was either set the finger now, or go have a doc do it
of
> the lower part of the digit and tugged out until it "cricked" back into place. It hurt- and also
> felt good at the same time. Luckily I was less than 100 yards from the end of the trail and was
> able to get on the
pavement
>
>
> -ME

Pictures man! where are the pictures! could you not at least have taken a photo before yoy snapped
it back into place?

quite
>
shoulder
awkwardly
was
hand.
>
I
of
> able to get on the
pavement
>
>
> -ME
>
But is the BIKE okay?

~CG

no camera...bike is unscathed...heh.

next time i will bring my camera-cell phone!

_ME

"Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "Edwards" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:YciOa.27977$Ix2.11500@rwcrnsc54...
> > While descending back towards aspen, and flowing the government trail
> quite
> > nicely- my front tire high sided the trail, and I just touched the front brake. Mind you I was
> > going at least 18-20 mph.
> >
> > Whammo- the bikes' front tire washes out with no warning and I am headed straight down head
> > first. I hit the terra firma with my elbow then
> shoulder
> > and instinctively go into a "tuck roll". Well, my free hand gets
> awkwardly
> > caught on the ground and the middle finger gets bent backwards audibly snapping it at the second
> > joint. I hear the "crick" and know something
> was
> > broken. Not to mention the other fingers which also bend back to the
> hand.
> >
> > I knew immediately that I broke something. Looking down, I notice the middle finger pointing in
> > two different directions. The pain was hot
and
> I
> > was still woozy from the impact. I knew it was either set the finger
now,
> > or go have a doc do it for a pretty penny. So I reluctantly grabbed
hold
> of
> > the lower part of the digit and tugged out until it "cricked" back into place. It hurt- and also
> > felt good at the same time. Luckily I was
less
> > than 100 yards from the end of the trail and was able to get on the
> pavement
> > and limp home with one good hand.
> >
> > Guess I will be dusting off the old road bike...
> >
> > -ME
> >
> But is the BIKE okay?
>
> ~CG
>

Status
Not open for further replies.