RR: Brush with Bontrager

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mark Hickey, Apr 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Hickey

Mark Hickey Guest

I had an odd revelation this morning.

Over the weekend, I was part of a five-man team that race the "24 hours of adrenalin" series at
    McDowell Mountain Park in the Phoenix, Arizona area.

Great fun, lots o' pain, but well worth it. Knew my rear wheel was getting ready to die when I lost
    a spoke on the 4th lap around midnight, and verified it when I lost 5 more on the 5th lap around 4am
    (this wasn't a course that was fun to ride with the rear brake disconnected).

Anyways, here I was hanging around the transition area chatting with another racer. I asked him if
    it was his 4th or 5th lap, and he mentioned that it was only his third due to having to spend time
    getting his nose packed to stop a persistent nose bleed he'd had since Friday.

So this morning I read that Keith Bontrager was at the race, but showed up late due to the time it
    took to pack his nose. D'Oh... I didn't recognize him dressed up like an eskimo (it was almost down
    to freezing that night, though I wore shorts and a long jersey). I've exchanged some emails with him
    over the years and it would have been fun to "officially meet him".

The good news is, our teams each won our respective classes (his the 5-man 150-199 year (combined)
    and mine the 5-man 200+ old farts category.

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

Tags:

2. Sorni

Sorni Guest

"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I had an odd revelation this morning.
    >
    > Over the weekend, I was part of a five-man team that race the "24 hours of adrenalin" series at
    > McDowell Mountain Park in the Phoenix, Arizona area.
    >
    > Great fun, lots o' pain, but well worth it. Knew my rear wheel was getting ready to die when I
    > lost a spoke on the 4th lap around midnight, and verified it when I lost 5 more on the 5th lap
    > around 4am (this wasn't a course that was fun to ride with the rear brake disconnected).
    >
    > Anyways, here I was hanging around the transition area chatting with another racer. I asked him if
    > it was his 4th or 5th lap, and he mentioned that it was only his third due to having to spend time
    > getting his nose packed to stop a persistent nose bleed he'd had since Friday.
    >
    > So this morning I read that Keith Bontrager was at the race, but showed up late due to the time it
    > took to pack his nose. D'Oh... I didn't recognize him dressed up like an eskimo (it was almost
    > down to freezing that night, though I wore shorts and a long jersey). I've exchanged some emails
    > with him over the years and it would have been fun to "officially meet him".
    >
    > The good news is, our teams each won our respective classes (his the 5-man 150-199 year (combined)
    > and mine the 5-man 200+ old farts category.

Jeez, how fast were your laps?!? I'm not usually on my 4th or 5th lap till Sunday morning (in the
    daylight)...

Congrats on the great showing,

Bill "belongs on an old fart team" S.

3. Ctg

Ctg Guest

"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

>
    > The good news is, our teams each won our respective classes (his the 5-man 150-199 year (combined)
    >
    > Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

Congratulations on your win!
    --
    Chris

4. Mark Hickey

Mark Hickey Guest

"Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote

>Jeez, how fast were your laps?!? I'm not usually on my 4th or 5th lap till Sunday morning (in the
    >daylight)...

Ooops. It should have been 3rd/4th lap (I found that my math skills were the first thing to go
    during the event, and apparently the last thing to recover after).

We were doing the 11-something mile laps in an average of about 56 minutes (including LOTS of flats
    and other "minor mechs"). A couple of our guys' 4th lap was in daylight though (but their 2nd was
    in the dark)

>Congrats on the great showing,

Thanks.

>Bill "belongs on an old fart team" S.

I'm particularly well qualified, being the oldest old fart on the team.

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

5. Miles Todd

Miles Todd Guest

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 02:33:32 GMT, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    > Over the weekend, I was part of a five-man team that race the "24 hours of adrenalin" series at
    > McDowell Mountain Park in the Phoenix, Arizona area.
    >
    > Great fun, lots o' pain, but well worth it. Knew my rear wheel was getting ready to die when I
    > lost a spoke on the 4th lap around midnight, and verified it when I lost 5 more on the 5th lap
    > around 4am (this wasn't a course that was fun to ride with the rear brake disconnected).
    >
    > Anyways, here I was hanging around the transition area chatting with another racer. I asked him if
    > it was his 4th or 5th lap, and he mentioned that it was only his third due to having to spend time
    > getting his nose packed to stop a persistent nose bleed he'd had since Friday.
    >
    > So this morning I read that Keith Bontrager was at the race, but showed up late due to the time it
    > took to pack his nose. D'Oh... I didn't recognize him dressed up like an eskimo (it was almost
    > down to freezing that night, though I wore shorts and a long jersey). I've exchanged some emails
    > with him over the years and it would have been fun to "officially meet him".
    >
    >
    > Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame
    >

I spoke briefly with Keith B at Laguna Seca last year (or was it the year before?). What I was most
    amused by was his bike-a GF Sugar.

Miles

--
    Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/

6. Bill Wheeler

Bill Wheeler Guest

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 02:33:32 GMT, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

>I had an odd revelation this morning.
    >
    >Over the weekend, I was part of a five-man team that race the "24 hours of adrenalin" series at
    >McDowell Mountain Park in the Phoenix, Arizona area.
    >
    >Great fun, lots o' pain, but well worth it. Knew my rear wheel was getting ready to die when I lost
    >a spoke on the 4th lap around midnight, and verified it when I lost 5 more on the 5th lap around
    >4am (this wasn't a course that was fun to ride with the rear brake disconnected).
    >
    >Anyways, here I was hanging around the transition area chatting with another racer. I asked him if
    >it was his 4th or 5th lap, and he mentioned that it was only his third due to having to spend time
    >getting his nose packed to stop a persistent nose bleed he'd had since Friday.
    >
    >So this morning I read that Keith Bontrager was at the race, but showed up late due to the time it
    >took to pack his nose. D'Oh... I didn't recognize him dressed up like an eskimo (it was almost down
    >to freezing that night, though I wore shorts and a long jersey). I've exchanged some emails with
    >him over the years and it would have been fun to "officially meet him".
    >
    >The good news is, our teams each won our respective classes (his the 5-man 150-199 year (combined)
    >and mine the 5-man 200+ old farts category.
    >
    >Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

Nice, next time tell him his RE-1 pedals suck.

Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

7. Doug Taylor

Doug Taylor Guest

Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:

>Nice, next time tell him his RE-1 pedals suck.

But his Race X-Lite wheels are sweet. --dt

8. Bill Wheeler

Bill Wheeler Guest

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:13:25 -0400, Doug Taylor <[email protected]> wrote:

>Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Nice, next time tell him his RE-1 pedals suck.
    >
    >But his Race X-Lite wheels are sweet. --dt

I hear a lot of Bontrager's stuff is really good,....I believed the hype and got stuck with wasting
    time on his peds.

Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.