RR: Calverton is alive and well

Carla A-G

Guest
We hadn't been to the Calverton Trail in a couple of years. It wasn't in the best of shape the last
time we rode it. Recently, we had heard that someone had gone in there and did some work fixing it
up. We decided to give it a try.

We arrived in the late morning. There were 2 other cars at the trailhead parking lot. As usual, the
temperature was unbearably cold even though the sun was out. There was a slight dusting of snow on
the ground. Once again, it was layers, layers, layers of clothing. Calverton is about a 10 1/2 mile
loop in total, very winding, tight and twisty singletrack. Not too much climbing, but a lot of dips
and doodles. You can really get a fast flow going once you know how the trail is.

We rode in. The trail was very smooth and fast with the hardpacked frozen ground. We hit the various
sections of the trail...Winding Way, Fox Hollow, Roller Coaster, Scuttle Hole, Hillside Drive, Log
Ride and Oak Maze. It was in excellent condition. Calverton is a trail that is barely ridden, so
most of the time, it is empty. The trail was ours today. It was just us, the woods and the wildlife.

Right before approaching into the Oak Maze section, we heard a big crashing sound in the woods. We
turned to look and saw 2 gigantic does about 20 feet from us. They were beautiful, majestic animals.
They stood there and watched us for a couple of minutes. We stood there and watched them as well. As
Jim was reaching for the camera, the deer made bursting jumps back into the woods and took off. It
was our lost opportunity for a picture, but those few minutes in time of watching them right in
front of us, was a moment that will last for eternity...

We entered the Oak Maze. This used to be the worst section of the trail. People would purposely not
ride Calverton because this section used to be in such bad shape. There used to be nasty little bush
and tree stumps that stuck out of the ground, quite known for causing punctures and being general
nuisances for a rider. Well, somebody went in there and cleared it up by removing the jagged stumps.
The difference was like night and day. The trail was unbelievably smooth and still twisty like we
remembered it.

The ride was completed with happy smiles on our faces. We'll be going there soon again...here are
some pictures from the ride:

http://www.geocities.com/khsgrl/Calverton.htm

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

> We hadn't been to the Calverton Trail in a couple of years. It wasn't in
the
> best of shape the last time we rode it. Recently, we had heard that
someone
> had gone in there and did some work fixing it up. We decided to give it a try.
>
> We arrived in the late morning. There were 2 other cars at the trailhead parking lot. As
> usual, the temperature was unbearably cold even though the sun was out. There was a slight
> dusting of snow on the ground. Once again, it was layers, layers, layers of clothing.
> Calverton is about a 10 1/2
mile
> loop in total, very winding, tight and twisty singletrack. Not too much climbing, but a lot of
> dips and doodles. You can really get a fast flow going once you know how the trail is.
>
> We rode in. The trail was very smooth and fast with the hardpacked frozen ground. We hit the
> various sections of the trail...Winding Way, Fox
Hollow,
> Roller Coaster, Scuttle Hole, Hillside Drive, Log Ride and Oak Maze. It
was
> in excellent condition. Calverton is a trail that is barely ridden, so
most
> of the time, it is empty. The trail was ours today. It was just us, the woods and the wildlife.
>
> Right before approaching into the Oak Maze section, we heard a big
crashing
> sound in the woods. We turned to look and saw 2 gigantic does about 20
feet
> from us. They were beautiful, majestic animals. They stood there and
watched
> us for a couple of minutes. We stood there and watched them as well. As
Jim
> was reaching for the camera, the deer made bursting jumps back into the woods and took off. It was
> our lost opportunity for a picture, but those
few
> minutes in time of watching them right in front of us, was a moment that will last for eternity...
>
> We entered the Oak Maze. This used to be the worst section of the trail. People would purposely
> not ride Calverton because this section used to be
in
> such bad shape. There used to be nasty little bush and tree stumps that stuck out of the ground,
> quite known for causing punctures and being
general
> nuisances for a rider. Well, somebody went in there and cleared it up by removing the jagged
> stumps. The difference was like night and day. The
trail
> was unbelievably smooth and still twisty like we remembered it.
>
> The ride was completed with happy smiles on our faces. We'll be going
there
> soon again...here are some pictures from the ride:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/khsgrl/Calverton.htm

Nice pics -- and loved some of the trail names!

Bill "was one of 'em 'Hollow Beaver'? (too lazy to go back to check :) " S.

> > The ride was completed with happy smiles on our faces. We'll be going
> there
> > soon again...here are some pictures from the ride:
> >
> > http://www.geocities.com/khsgrl/Calverton.htm
> >

> Nice pics -- and loved some of the trail names!
>
> Bill "was one of 'em 'Hollow Beaver'? (too lazy to go back to check :) "
S.

Sorry, no Hollow Beaver trail there :-(

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

> "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > The ride was completed with happy smiles on our faces. We'll be going
> > there
> > > soon again...here are some pictures from the ride:
> > >
> > > http://www.geocities.com/khsgrl/Calverton.htm
> > >

> > Nice pics -- and loved some of the trail names!
> >
> > Bill "was one of 'em 'Hollow Beaver'? (too lazy to go back to check :) "
> S.
>
> Sorry, no Hollow Beaver trail there :-(

It was Fox Hollow...so where'd I get Beaver?!? (Now THERE's an eternal question ;-)

Bill "Scuttle Hole probably enters the Freudian Factor, too" S.

> We hadn't been to the Calverton Trail in a couple of years. It wasn't in
the
> best of shape the last time we rode it. Recently, we had heard that
someone
> had gone in there and did some work fixing it up. We decided to give it a try.
<snippy snip snip>

Great report as always! Those pictures make me sooooo jealous!

"Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:
> It was Fox Hollow...

Nice shots Carla.

What a smooth-looking bit of singletrack there in Fox Hollow.

I never have ridden (off-road) east of Kalamazoo. Have to check some of that Back East stuff
some time.

> so where'd I get Beaver?!?

Why, from Ward and June of course!
--
Tom "is something bothering you son?" Purvis Salida, CO

"Tom Purvis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > It was Fox Hollow...
>
> Nice shots Carla.
>
> What a smooth-looking bit of singletrack there in Fox Hollow.
>
> I never have ridden (off-road) east of Kalamazoo. Have to check some of that Back East stuff
> some time.
>
> > so where'd I get Beaver?!?
>
> Why, from Ward and June of course!
> --
> Tom "is something bothering you son?" Purvis Salida, CO

Whenever you're around these parts, just give a holler and we'll show you around.

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!