RR: Calverton & Rocky Point

Carla A-G

Guest
It was hot on Saturday. 92 or better. It was one of those days that if you
stepped into the sunlight you became drenched in a matter of seconds. We
decided a shorter ride would be a good idea. We weren't crazy about taking a
short ride and we needed a challenge. I suggested that we break out the
SS's, we hadn't done an SS ride in quite a while. We were both looking
forward to testing our new found fitness. We chose the SS friendly and
relatively short trail, Calverton (an 8 mile loop). The heat didn't seem to
be too bad. We added a couple of breaks and didn't break any land speed
records but we climbed everything put in front of us.

We got through with the ride and feeling really good and a bit confident
decided to make a SS ride out of Rocky Point, we went SS'ing again the next
day. Rocky Point is a much longer trail and the weather forecast was for
even hotter weather. What we were thinking I don't know. 95 degrees with
about 90% humidity plus a 22 mile trail equates to a very possible death
march.

Due to a few issues and few too many excuses we haven't ridden this trail in
quite a while and Jim was very happy to find it was even more buff than we
remembered it. This trails is also known as "Buffy Point" because the trail
is so fast and has a whole lotta flow to it. We got our customary late start
and the weather was abusively hot. While we loading up Jim realized that he
needed to make some adjustments on the bikes and almost fried in the shade
of a tree. Back at the trailhead we were greeted by an almost empty parking
lot and the smell of pitch pine.what a wonderous smell it was...very
refreshing on a boiling hot day...

We flowed through the buff trails. Most of the trail is flat with some
short, steep climbs so the trail builders put in a rather large number of
moguls which break up the trail well and adds some whoop and fun factor to
the ride. We were holding up well and very thankful for the frozen camelbaks
we brought (we put them in the freezer several hours before the ride).

The trail builder had added some humorous signage to the trail.Big Birch, a
little technical section with a tricky mogul and a huge birch tree, Mogul
One, Mogul Two, The Desert, Fern Valley, Waterbottle Hill, Little Dipper,
Your Tire Is On Fire!, every section of the trail has a name (I am missing a
few others).

The trail is mostly under a thick canopy, so the sun was not hitting us
directly, which helped with the heat. However, the sun did hit us directly
when we got into The Desert...this is a section of trail which at one point
several years ago, burned down to the ground. The lack of trees and the dry
sand created a desert like section with beach sand, which makes it hard to
ride if you're going too slow. The heat in that section was unbelieavable,
the direct sun and hot sand...I felt like I was seeing mirages of small
bodies of water so that I could jump into one...

We finally made it out of the trail after 3 hours. This trail can usually be
done in 1-1/2 to 2 hours on a good day, but the heat kicked our asses. When
we got to the trail head, it was still empty, we must have been the only
crazy ones to be out there. I still had some cool water in my camelbak so I
dumped it all over my head and back, it was heavenly...we sat on the truck's
gate in the shade and ate peanut butter sandwiches and drank powerade.

- CA-G (with assistance from Jim)

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Carla A-G wrote:
<SNIPPY - Got to the original post if you want to read it>
> We finally made it out of the trail after 3 hours. This trail can usually be
> done in 1-1/2 to 2 hours on a good day, but the heat kicked our asses. When
> we got to the trail head, it was still empty, we must have been the only
> crazy ones to be out there. I still had some cool water in my camelbak so I
> dumped it all over my head and back, it was heavenly...we sat on the truck's
> gate in the shade and ate peanut butter sandwiches and drank powerade.

Cool! Well, maybe not ;). I can tell you that I don't miss the humidity
at all! I'm going back home this weekend and dread the the weather. On
top of that, my wife says the pool is at 85F and that was before
yesterday's 100+ temps. 85F! No relief there.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"Ride-A-Lot" <"mitchell[NOSPAM]"@schnauzers.ws> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Carla A-G wrote:
> <SNIPPY - Got to the original post if you want to read it>
>> We finally made it out of the trail after 3 hours. This trail can usually
>> be
>> done in 1-1/2 to 2 hours on a good day, but the heat kicked our asses.
>> When
>> we got to the trail head, it was still empty, we must have been the only
>> crazy ones to be out there. I still had some cool water in my camelbak so
>> dumped it all over my head and back, it was heavenly...we sat on the
>> truck's
>> gate in the shade and ate peanut butter sandwiches and drank powerade.
>>

> Cool! Well, maybe not ;). I can tell you that I don't miss the humidity
> at all! I'm going back home this weekend and dread the the weather. On
> top of that, my wife says the pool is at 85F and that was before
> yesterday's 100+ temps. 85F! No relief there.

I'm surprised more people haven't moved to Arizona.....it's a dry heat??

Heard on the news some town in Illinois had a heat index of 126F
yesterday....ugh!

That's hot even by my standards.... :)

Gary

Carla A-G wrote:
<snip nice hot RR>

Sounds good but too hot!

I've been on my SS a lot lately and it's been pretty nice when I don't
get stormed on (monsoon pattern is happening).

Last night I was sure I was going to get slammed by a big thunderhead
coming my way after we did some trail work but then it petered out. The
clouds evaporated and it became the most beautiful clear and cool
evening. I just need to quit bashing my shins. I can't seem to get
through a ride lately without doing it at least once. They're all scabby
and lumpy (and sore!).

Matt

MattB wrote:
> evening. I just need to quit bashing my shins. I can't seem to get
> through a ride lately without doing it at least once. They're all scabby
> and lumpy (and sore!).

That's better than impaling yourself on the seatpost ;).

My right leg (the outrigger, since most fall lines I am on always seem
to be on the left side) is a big mess and they are not healing very
fast. Yes, I know shaving my legs will help it to heal faster. No, I
will not shave my legs. Heck, I don't even shave my gorilla-like chest
or back.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"Ride-A-Lot" <"mitchell[NOSPAM]"@schnauzers.ws> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Heck, I don't even shave my gorilla-like chest
> or back.

Ugh, TMI...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>
>> evening. I just need to quit bashing my shins. I can't seem to get
>> through a ride lately without doing it at least once. They're all
>> scabby and lumpy (and sore!).

> That's better than impaling yourself on the seatpost ;).

Indeed. I love my new seat BTW. It's a WTB Pure V. It's slightly bigger
than my old one providing a little more positioning options. Comfy!

> My right leg (the outrigger, since most fall lines I am on always seem
> to be on the left side) is a big mess and they are not healing very
> fast. Yes, I know shaving my legs will help it to heal faster. No, I
> will not shave my legs. Heck, I don't even shave my gorilla-like chest
> or back.

My legs are also very hairy. I find that doesn't matter much for a
bash-type wound, only road (or dirt or rock) rash which I rarely end up
with.

Matt

Carla A-G wrote:
> However, the sun did hit us directly
> when we got into The Desert...this is a section of trail which at one point
> several years ago, burned down to the ground. The lack of trees and the dry
> sand created a desert like section with beach sand, which makes it hard to
> ride if you're going too slow. The heat in that section was unbelieavable,

I rather vividly remember riding this stretch with you guys some time
ago in similar, with a tapped-out Camelbak. Yeeks.

CC

Corvus Corvax wrote:
> Carla A-G wrote:
> > However, the sun did hit us directly
> > when we got into The Desert...this is a section of trail which at one point
> > several years ago, burned down to the ground. The lack of trees and the dry
> > sand created a desert like section with beach sand, which makes it hard to
> > ride if you're going too slow. The heat in that section was unbelieavable,

> I rather vividly remember riding this stretch with you guys some time
> ago in similar, with a tapped-out Camelbak. Yeeks.
>
> CC

Were your ears ringing... we were talking about that ride when we rode
through there...
That and if I remember we did another ride on this trail with Mrs.
Corvus

Jimbo(san)

"Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Carla A-G wrote:
> > However, the sun did hit us directly
> > when we got into The Desert...this is a section of trail which at one

point
> > several years ago, burned down to the ground. The lack of trees and the

dry
> > sand created a desert like section with beach sand, which makes it hard

> > ride if you're going too slow. The heat in that section was

unbelieavable,

> I rather vividly remember riding this stretch with you guys some time
> ago in similar, with a tapped-out Camelbak. Yeeks.
>
> CC

I remember you ran out of water about 5-10 miles into the trail. I still
don't know how you didn't pass out from dehydration...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Carla A-G wrote:

> I still don't know how you didn't pass out from dehydration...

Fear of being killed and eaten.

CC

[email protected] wrote:
> Corvus Corvax wrote:
>
>>Carla A-G wrote:
>>
>>>However, the sun did hit us directly
>>>when we got into The Desert...this is a section of trail which at one point
>>>several years ago, burned down to the ground. The lack of trees and the dry
>>>sand created a desert like section with beach sand, which makes it hard to
>>>ride if you're going too slow. The heat in that section was unbelieavable,

>>I rather vividly remember riding this stretch with you guys some time
>>ago in similar, with a tapped-out Camelbak. Yeeks.
>>
>>CC Its hot but then again its summer. Rode off it was 11 am and 95 degrees and when I stopped at 1pm at 102 degrees. The sweat was dripping,face was red and burning. Now I'm back to the norm and relaxing in cool AC in my living room. Wow 104 now out side.

Wow. It's 66 here. Wish I was riding*. Nice now but I'll be wishing it's
a little warmer this winter.

Matt

*supposed to ride with Craig B this morning but he had to go.

Corvus Corvax wrote:
> Carla A-G wrote:
> >
> > I still don't know how you didn't pass out from dehydration...

> Fear of being killed and eaten.
>
> CC

Carla and Jim might have sucked out your blood, but I doubt they would
have eaten you.

I brought out a couple old clunkers to sell on the street in
Williamsburg on Sunday. I was standing in the sun for around two
minutes when I started to feel hot to the point of claustrophobia and
nausea. I found a tree in Brooklyn and got a little shade. I was
already tasting salt.

When ever I greet someone with "Hey, how are you?", they reply, "I
know! Isn't it awful?"

/s

Scott Gordo wrote:

> When ever I greet someone with "Hey, how are you?", they reply, "I
> know! Isn't it awful?"

I was talking with a friend of mine in Washington Heights last night.
It sounds brutal down there. The weather up here broke last night with
a delightful spasm of thunderstorms, so it was cool and cloudy this
morning. I knocked off a delightful 31 miles on the fix.

I'm still planning on being in town for the Century, by the way.

CC

Carla A-G wrote:

> How flat is the route?

I can't find a route map for this year on the web site, but if it's
anything like previous years, it's pretty flat most of the way, but
they pile on some hills in the Bronx toward the end.

CC

Carla A-G wrote:
> "Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > I'm still planning on being in town for the Century, by the way.

> How flat is the route?
>
> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

There aren't any real sustained climbs, and they cut out a section of
the Bronx last year that was tough with a fixie. A few quick spikes,
that's about it. The toughest part climbing-wise is the end as you're
moving south through Harlem.

Beyond the streets being open to traffic, grease slicks, potholes and
pitbulls, I wouldn't call it an especially challenging century.

/s

Carla A-G wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" <"mitchell[NOSPAM]"@schnauzers.ws> wrote
> > Heck, I don't even shave my gorilla-like chest
> > or back.

> Ugh, TMI...

No doubt due to this little exchange, here is the set of advertising
links that Google's software chose to put up next to the thread:

Womens Smooth Shaving
Smoothest shave, no irritation
Easy, Fast, 100% Natural
www.shopzone.co.nz/somerset/

Buy Coochy Shave Cream
Inexpensive Coochy Shave Cream
Fast Inexpensive & Discreet Service
www.cheaplubes.com

How To Shave Pubic Hair
Online Information for
How To Shave Pubic Hair
www.shopica.com

CC

Scott Gordo wrote:

> Beyond the streets being open to traffic, grease slicks,

Makes me think of one of my early introductions to NYC riding when I
lived there. I wiped out on Broadway in front of a grocery store in a
huge slick of raw chicken fat. I never have gotten the stain completely
out of my windbreaker.

CC