RR: Carlsruhe West, Kew

essendon93

New Member
Aug 20, 2004
Ok I've been pretty slack on the posting front, so just for you Dave here's a brief summary of my last 2 B-grade rides.

RR Carlsruhe West Sat 3/3/07

First road race of the year, forecast was 38 deg in Melbourne. The good news was an earlier start of 10am instead of the usual 1:30pm kickoff meant conditions weren't too bad, 22deg at the start (31 at the end). I hadn't done that many k's over summer, prob around 200-250 a week, with 2 weeks off the bike start of Jan, so had no idea how I would handle a 75km road race.

The course is essentially flat, with a smallish hill out the back, some gentle rollers, and of course an uphill finish. Each lap was a tad under 25kms, with B-grade completing 3 laps.

9 riders in B-grade, about 10? in A-grade. It was decided at the start that we would ride as a bunch, if a B-grader wanted to go with a A-grade bunch, then they would automatically become an A-grader for that race. It didn't take long for the bunch to split, as they attacked and we were happy to just let them go. There was quite a few attacks over the first couple of laps, with the most dangerous looking (3 riders) brought back towards the end of the 2nd lap. I was struggling at this point, and if the bunch decided to attack the hill leading up to the start I would have been dropped. Much to my relief it was a nice tempo up the hill and for the next few k's...just what I needed to recover.

Just after the first corner on the 3rd lap, 2 riders managed to get a healthy gap over the rollers, and it was left to the 5 of us left in the bunch to get some sort of organisation happening. Rolled through for my stint on the front, looked back and there was a gap...they had sat up and left me in no mans land...do I chase or do I sit up? Decision made, I set about bridging the gap, finally catching the 2 leaders just before the hill out the back. It was now a break of 3, with daylight to 4th. The speed was ridiculousy low with about 8k's to go, getting down to around 25km/hr, with one rider refusing to come through.

Hitting the bottom of the final hill, I was the leadout, so decided to keep ramping up the speed, just keeping my eye on the 2 behind, waiting for a reaction. Hit the gas hard 3/4 up the hill and dropped the both of them rather quickly. Couldn't believe it, I'd actually won my first B-grade race...and left wondering where on earth that sprint came from!

Av speed 34.1
Distance 74km
Time 2:10ish

As you can see the av speed was low, around 4k's lower than A-grade!

RR Kew Crits Wed 7/3/07

35min +3laps 24 riders

My tactic for this crit was to do absolutely no work at all, and back myself in on the last lap. The previous week I had got my highest result of 3rd in B-grade, there was 2 away in a break. The Raleigh chicks had turned up again, which I wasn't planning on...hopefully no breakaways would get away.

Rolled around sitting on the back for the first 30mins, doing nothing, just watching a few attacks get caught as the 20 or so suckers on the front did the work for me (note I'm often that sucker). Started moving up, ensuring I got a decent position with 3 laps to go, chose a poor wheel to follow so decided to sprint to the front up the hill, then soft pedal to control the bunch and do a quick recover. From here my aim was to be 2nd wheel, for the remaining 3 laps, which meant constantly jumping onto the riders that came past me. With 1.5 laps to go a rider kicks...I jump straight onto his wheel, he takes me almost to the hairpin. Someone passes me on the inside of the hairpin, and gets a little jump, but I'm feeling fantastic, and unleash prob the quickest sprint I'd ever done up that hill to take an easy win.

Absolutely over the moon, could not wipe the smile of my face all night.
Not sure what's gotten into me over the the last 2 weeks, and where this sprinting's come from, but my goals have been totally smashed. I was in C-grade last year, and now I've been bumped to A-grade for next week's crit..it's all happened a bit too quick for me to comprehend......now where's that white handlebar tape :)

essendon93 said:
Ok I've been pretty slack on the posting front, so just for you Dave here's a brief summary of my last 2 B-grade rides.

Bloody great work ess, I'm stoked to see these wins!! You've long deserved these kind of results.

Welcome to the big time, now things hurt TWICE as much!! ;)

lama

gplama said:
Bloody great work ess, I'm stoked to see these wins!! You've long deserved these kind of results.

Welcome to the big time, now things hurt TWICE as much!! ;)

lama

Talk about an improvement - fantastic effort! Good luck in A-grade

Ritch

On 2007-03-08, essendon93 (aka Bruce)
> First road race of the year, forecast was 38 deg in Melbourne. The
> good news was an earlier start of 10am instead of the usual 1:30pm
> kickoff meant conditions weren't too bad, 22deg at the start (31 at the
> end). I hadn't done that many k's over summer, prob around 200-250 a
> week, with 2 weeks off the bike start of Jan, so had no idea how I
> would handle a 75km road race.

> Absolutely over the moon, could not wipe the smile of my face all
> night.
> Not sure what's gotten into me over the the last 2 weeks, and where
> this sprinting's come from, but my goals have been totally smashed.

Obviously the rest -- you had been overtraining :)

What was your rest diet? Beer and chips? ;P It's been mine -- and
squid.

--
TimC
Sign on door of computing lecturer: "If your project is 90% right,

essendon93 wrote:
> Not sure what's gotten into me over the the last 2 weeks, and where
> this sprinting's come from, but my goals have been totally smashed. I
> was in C-grade last year, and now I've been bumped to A-grade for next
> week's crit..it's all happened a bit too quick for me to
> comprehend......now where's that white handlebar tape :)

Way to go Ess that's fantastic! I might have to get down to Kew and
watch you in A-grade.

DaveB

I may have to attack from the gun again, just to get you settled in Ess!:D :D :D :D

On 2007-03-08, essendon93 (aka Bruce)

Obviously the rest -- you had been overtraining :)

What was your rest diet? Beer and chips? ;P It's been mine -- and
squid.

--
TimC
Sign on door of computing lecturer: "If your project is 90% right,
I will give you a distinction, your employer will fire you." -- Zebee
Beer and squid no thanks...and it would be hard to accuse me of overtraining the last few months :)

Jono L said:
I may have to attack from the gun again, just to get you settled in Ess!:D :D :D :D
Thanks Jono, I'll just be hanging on for dear life, trying to prolong the inevitable :rolleyes:

Thats some awesome work. Curiously, how long did it take from your first race to get to the position you are now to be winning B-Grade?

parawolf said:
Thats some awesome work. Curiously, how long did it take from your first race to get to the position you are now to be winning B-Grade?
My first race was at Kew on 2/3/05 in D-grade, in which I came 8th, did a couple more crits till end of daylight saving, as well as the odd winter crit (all at Kew). First Road race was in March last year in C-grade. Last year was basically my first year of racing.

On 2007-03-09, essendon93 (aka Bruce)

> parawolf Wrote:
>> Thats some awesome work. Curiously, how long did it take from your first
>> race to get to the position you are now to be winning B-Grade?

> My first race was at Kew on 2/3/05 in D-grade, in which I came 8th, did
> a couple more crits till end of daylight saving, as well as the odd
> winter crit (all at Kew). First Road race was in March last year in
> C-grade. Last year was basically my first year of racing.

Heh. I was on track to beat Ess :)

At least, my first race was somewhere in 09/05 in D grade, and I was
in C-grade by first winter crit 06.

There's a road racing scene in Gunnedah, and the local copper is
heading out that way. I might tag along.

Tour de Warrunbungles in a month time. See if I can still ride now
that it has stopped being 40degC and raining.

--
TimC
I'm lost