RR: Chamiso to Winsor

Corvus Corvax

Guest
This is going to be short and incoherent.

Did a ride from the Chamiso trailhead outside Santa Fe, a lovely
singletrack ridgeline traverse which connects to the Winsor trail.
Solo. Climbed up to the ski area at 10 thousand feet -- the trailhead
is at around eight, with a nine mile climb. Felt like a lot more than a
couple thousand feet. Took me three hours, three and a half, something
like that, to make the climb, all on singletrack. I took along 124
ounces of water. Drank it all, and then some (hooray for the Katadyn!)

Got caught in a hailstorm on the last mile of the return trip. The sky
just opened up, and buckets of pea-sized hail poured out of the sky.
Another reason to wear a helmet, kids. The hail made an amazing sound
as it bounced off my Giro. Total ride time was about five and a half
hours, pretty amazing for eighteen miles, even if you factor in the
lunch break. A sublime nine mile singletrack descent.

I stopped into a pub and had lunch and a beer around 2:30. Picked up a
New York times to read at lunch, and read about the ride the Tour
riders had to do today. 12,600 feet of climbing in something like 102
miles. I started to cry.

CC

Corvus Corvax wrote:
> This is going to be short and incoherent.
>
> Did a ride from the Chamiso trailhead outside Santa Fe, a lovely
> singletrack ridgeline traverse which connects to the Winsor trail.
> Solo. Climbed up to the ski area at 10 thousand feet -- the trailhead
> is at around eight, with a nine mile climb. Felt like a lot more than
> a couple thousand feet. Took me three hours, three and a half,
> something like that, to make the climb, all on singletrack. I took
> along 124 ounces of water. Drank it all, and then some (hooray for
> the Katadyn!)
>
> Got caught in a hailstorm on the last mile of the return trip. The sky
> just opened up, and buckets of pea-sized hail poured out of the sky.
> Another reason to wear a helmet, kids. The hail made an amazing sound
> as it bounced off my Giro. Total ride time was about five and a half
> hours, pretty amazing for eighteen miles, even if you factor in the
> lunch break. A sublime nine mile singletrack descent.

Suh...weet. Believe it or not I've been caught in a hail storm -- in SAN
DIEGO! Noble Canyon went from summer heat to winter wet (and slippery!) in
the course of about 45 minutes. Wild.

> I stopped into a pub and had lunch and a beer around 2:30. Picked up a
> New York times to read at lunch, and read about the ride the Tour
> riders had to do today. 12,600 feet of climbing in something like 102
> miles. I started to cry.

What's /really/ sick is they did a much harder ride yesterday and they're
doing another century-plus tomorrow. Freaking brutal.

Corvus Corvax wrote:
> This is going to be short and incoherent.
>
> Did a ride from the Chamiso trailhead outside Santa Fe, a lovely
> singletrack ridgeline traverse which connects to the Winsor trail.
> Solo. Climbed up to the ski area at 10 thousand feet -- the trailhead
> is at around eight, with a nine mile climb. Felt like a lot more than a
> couple thousand feet. Took me three hours, three and a half, something
> like that, to make the climb, all on singletrack. I took along 124
> ounces of water. Drank it all, and then some (hooray for the Katadyn!)
>
> Got caught in a hailstorm on the last mile of the return trip. The sky
> just opened up, and buckets of pea-sized hail poured out of the sky.
> Another reason to wear a helmet, kids. The hail made an amazing sound
> as it bounced off my Giro. Total ride time was about five and a half
> hours, pretty amazing for eighteen miles, even if you factor in the
> lunch break. A sublime nine mile singletrack descent.
>
> I stopped into a pub and had lunch and a beer around 2:30. Picked up a
> New York times to read at lunch, and read about the ride the Tour
> riders had to do today. 12,600 feet of climbing in something like 102
> miles. I started to cry.
>

> CC

Sounds fun. We get those crazy hail storms pretty regularly around here.
I've had to hide out under overhangs, in caves, or up against boulders
to wait out hail storms many times. I've also been caught out where
there was no shelter and my arms got all covered in welts.
It keeps things exciting!

Matt

On 2005-07-14, Bill Sornson penned:

> What's /really/ sick is they did a much harder ride yesterday and
> they're doing another century-plus tomorrow. Freaking brutal.

What's /really/ sick is that they'll do it this year, and then,
knowing full well what they're in for, they'll do it *again* next
year.

I'm constantly amazed by the little things in the Tour. Like the fact
that they can be riding uphill for miles, and then they get close to
the top ... and they manage to accelerate! How the hell do they do
that??

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> On 2005-07-14, Bill Sornson penned:
>>
>> What's /really/ sick is they did a much harder ride yesterday and
>> they're doing another century-plus tomorrow. Freaking brutal.
>>

> What's /really/ sick is that they'll do it this year, and then,
> knowing full well what they're in for, they'll do it *again* next
> year.

And some of 'em have been doing it for MANY years. (Like Lance and Jan,
just to name two; along with unsung old plowhorses like George Hincapie.)

> I'm constantly amazed by the little things in the Tour. Like the fact
> that they can be riding uphill for miles, and then they get close to
> the top ... and they manage to accelerate! How the hell do they do
> that??

Actually, THAT I can understand, since I'm like an old milk horse once I
gain sight of the barn. (Of course, I've never climbed 12,000 feet to get
to my hay, either :)

Bill "farm animal theme day" S.

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> On 2005-07-14, Bill Sornson penned:
>>
>> What's /really/ sick is they did a much harder ride yesterday and
>> they're doing another century-plus tomorrow. Freaking brutal.
>>

> What's /really/ sick is that they'll do it this year, and then,
> knowing full well what they're in for, they'll do it *again* next
> year.
>
> I'm constantly amazed by the little things in the Tour. Like the fact
> that they can be riding uphill for miles, and then they get close to
> the top ... and they manage to accelerate!

"How the hell do they do that??"

They are on something.......like their bike, six or more hours a day, most
days of the year. Practice Practice Practice and genetics help, maybe a
drug or two. It also helps to be 5'9" and only 139 lbs (razzy) unlike my
large boned personna of 5'9" and 195 lbs........

It was good to see a big man win the mountains on Sunday.

Gary

Bill Sornson wrote:

> Bill "farm animal theme day" S.

moo

On 2005-07-20, GeeDubb penned:
> Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
>>
>> I'm constantly amazed by the little things in the Tour. Like the
>> fact that they can be riding uphill for miles, and then they get
>> close to the top ... and they manage to accelerate!

> "How the hell do they do that??"
>
> They are on something.......like their bike, six or more hours a
> day, most days of the year. Practice Practice Practice and genetics
> help, maybe a drug or two. It also helps to be 5'9" and only 139
> lbs (razzy) unlike my large boned personna of 5'9" and 195
> lbs........

Sure, it all helps, but a lot of it is time in the saddle, and I
respect and admire that.

> It was good to see a big man win the mountains on Sunday.

Yeah, when that chick won the ... oh, wait. Nevermind ...

Believe me, if you think it's rare to see a large-boned man win, well,
there are even less-likely scenarios =)

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain

"Monique Y. Mudama" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2005-07-14, Bill Sornson penned:
> >
> > What's /really/ sick is they did a much harder ride yesterday and
> > they're doing another century-plus tomorrow. Freaking brutal.
> >

> What's /really/ sick is that they'll do it this year, and then,
> knowing full well what they're in for, they'll do it *again* next
> year.
>
> I'm constantly amazed by the little things in the Tour. Like the fact
> that they can be riding uphill for miles, and then they get close to
> the top ... and they manage to accelerate! How the hell do they do
> that??

Medication's what you need, if you wanna be a record breaker.

Shaun aRe