RR: Chianti

Notaknob

Guest
The ride started at Talcione in Tuscany. Immediatly outside of town, the road switched to dirt. As I
passed the farmhouse of La Moraia, I noticed that almost every car in their lot was from the
Badenwurtemburg area. Following the Percorso Arancio route I soon arrived at the SS429. As I had a
decent topographical map, but couldn't find any "officially marked" trails on it, I started the hunt
and seek method of trail riding. I often regret this.

I followed the SS429 to the left for a short while, taking the first road off of it to the right. I
followed this dirt road for a short while, passing the St. Lorenzo farm house and took a right at a
likely looking trail. This turned out to be a decent trail, which I followed to the fork in the
road. While taking the trail that climbed higher, I attempted to follow branches off of it, but
these either dead-ended in vineyards, or returned to the dirt road I was originally on. I soon
topped out at what is marked as S. Agnese, but is nothing more than a crossroad, where I joined up
with the 84 trail. Although it's not single track, it is a decent trail.

http://notaknob.bei.t-online.de/italy/cc/84down.jpg
http://notaknob.bei.t-online.de/italy/cc/84up.jpg

Along the way I passed a small wine producer for this area.
http://notaknob.bei.t-online.de/italy/cc/winetanks.jpg

After joining up with the SS429 again I tried many of the trails off of
it. I only found dead-ends and discarded trash/appliances. While many of the trails may have leaded
somewhere, at sometime in the past, all ended in overgrown trails that disappeared in the
brush. As there wasn't much traffic on the SS429, it was a nice ride along the ridge to
Castellina in Chianti. Deciding to make a round trip of it, I headed off toward Rocca della
Macie, following the 76 trail. I encountered this sign

http://notaknob.bei.t-online.de/italy/cc/foot-mouth.jpg

and turned around. After trying to find a better way (non-paved road) back to C-in-C (and failing
at every farm road which seemed to turn into a vineyard), I finally returned to the road as I run
out of water.

30 minutes later I stagger into a tourist shop in the pedestrian area of C-in-C and grab two bottles
of water. I drink one while watching tourists roam the streets. Returning the way I came, I hear the
rumble of thunder. Those clouds are a long ways away, nothing to worry about now... I stop for a
break and a well-deserved shot of Grappa.

http://notaknob.bei.t-online.de/italy/cc/grappaBreak.jpg

Somehow I missed a left-hand turn and end up at Monsanto. Great if I had my car and wanted to stock
up on wine. Not so great as rain starts to come down. I decide to take the easy (known) way out and
follow the road down to Poggibonsi. Strangely, I end up at the Irish pub.

http://notaknob.bei.t-online.de/italy/cc/bike-pubshot.jpg

After recharging with a Kilkenny and a bag of chips, I continued on back to Talcione.

nk

I'll be reviewing a few Corona's a little later, tonight.

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 22:08:42 +0200, notaknob <[email protected]> wrote:

>The ride started at Talcione in Tuscany. Immediatly outside of town, the road switched to dirt. As
>I passed the farmhouse of La Moraia,

...as in the Mines of Moria?

>I noticed that almost every car in their lot was from the Badenwurtemburg area. Following the
>Percorso Arancio route I soon arrived at the SS429. As I had a decent topographical map, but
>couldn't find any "officially marked" trails on it, I started the hunt and seek method of trail
>riding. I often regret this.
>
>I followed the SS429 to the left for a short while, taking the first road off of it to the right. I
>followed this dirt road for a short while, passing the St. Lorenzo farm house and took a right at a
>likely looking trail. This turned out to be a decent trail, which I followed to the fork in the
>road. While taking the trail that climbed higher, I attempted to follow branches off of it, but
>these either dead-ended in vineyards, or returned to the dirt road I was originally on. I soon
>topped out at what is marked as S. Agnese, but is nothing more than a crossroad, where I joined up
>with the 84 trail. Although it's not single track, it is a decent trail.
>
>http://notaknob.bei.t-online.de/italy/cc/84down.jpg
>http://notaknob.bei.t-online.de/italy/cc/84up.jpg
>
>Along the way I passed a small wine producer for this area.
>http://notaknob.bei.t-online.de/italy/cc/winetanks.jpg
>
>After joining up with the SS429 again I tried many of the trails off of
>it. I only found dead-ends and discarded trash/appliances. While many of the trails may have
> leaded somewhere, at sometime in the past, all ended in overgrown trails that disappeared in
> the brush. As there wasn't much traffic on the SS429, it was a nice ride along the ridge to
> Castellina in Chianti. Deciding to make a round trip of it, I headed off toward Rocca della
> Macie, following the 76 trail. I encountered this sign
>
>http://notaknob.bei.t-online.de/italy/cc/foot-mouth.jpg
>
>and turned around. After trying to find a better way (non-paved road) back to C-in-C (and failing
>at every farm road which seemed to turn into a vineyard), I finally returned to the road as I run
>out of water.
>
>30 minutes later I stagger into a tourist shop in the pedestrian area of C-in-C and grab two
>bottles of water. I drink one while watching tourists roam the streets. Returning the way I came, I
>hear the rumble of thunder. Those clouds are a long ways away, nothing to worry about now... I stop
>for a break and a well-deserved shot of Grappa.
>
>http://notaknob.bei.t-online.de/italy/cc/grappaBreak.jpg
>
>Somehow I missed a left-hand turn and end up at Monsanto. Great if I had my car and wanted to stock
>up on wine. Not so great as rain starts to come down. I decide to take the easy (known) way out and
>follow the road down to Poggibonsi. Strangely, I end up at the Irish pub.
>
>http://notaknob.bei.t-online.de/italy/cc/bike-pubshot.jpg
>
>After recharging with a Kilkenny and a bag of chips, I continued on back to Talcione.
>
>nk

Thanks for this fine Italian RR,

:-]

> [...]

>http://notaknob.bei.t-online.de/italy/cc/grappaBreak.jpg
>
>Somehow I missed a left-hand turn and end up at Monsanto. Great if I had my car and wanted to stock
>up on wine. Not so great as rain starts to come down. I decide to take the easy (known) way out and
>follow the road down to Poggibonsi. Strangely, I end up at the Irish pub.
>
>http://notaknob.bei.t-online.de/italy/cc/bike-pubshot.jpg
>
>After recharging with a Kilkenny and a bag of chips, I continued on back to Talcione.
>
>nk

Thanks for this fine Italian RR,

:-]

> On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 22:08:42 +0200, notaknob <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >The ride started at Talcione in Tuscany. Immediatly outside of town, the road switched to dirt.
> >As I passed the farmhouse of La Moraia,
>
> ...as in the Mines of Moria? (rest snipped)

OK, is anyone else getting "double Wheelers"?!? This was posted at 8:06 pm on 6/9, and again at 3:08
pm on 6/10. (And there are many others just like
it.)

Bill "is it a secret wish for gears, Bill?" S.

Sorni <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 22:08:42 +0200, notaknob <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > >The ride started at Talcione in Tuscany. Immediatly outside of town, the road switched to dirt.
> > >As I passed the farmhouse of La Moraia,
> >
> > ...as in the Mines of Moria? (rest snipped)
>
> OK, is anyone else getting "double Wheelers"?!? This was posted at 8:06
pm
> on 6/9, and again at 3:08 pm on 6/10. (And there are many others just
like
> it.)
>
> Bill "is it a secret wish for gears, Bill?" S.

I seen 'em too. The guy is fading fast. Poor bugger.

Shaun aRe - 'As in the poor bugger of Sodom?'

notaknob <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> The ride started at Talcione in Tuscany. Immediatly outside of town, the road switched to dirt. As
> I passed the farmhouse of La Moraia, I noticed that almost every car in their lot was from the
> Badenwurtemburg

Summer in Italy and half of the cars have German plates? How surprising. BTW- I was over the the
Pfalz last weekend with my "Heidelbeige" plates. We are everywhere!

> area. Following the Percorso Arancio route I soon arrived at the SS429. As I had a decent
> topographical map, but couldn't find any "officially marked" trails on it, I started the hunt and
> seek method of trail riding. I often regret this.

It seems that trails are never marked and only half of the unimogable tracks are. Was it a Kompass
or Tobacco map? I have both for Meran and I must say that the kompas sucks big sweaty eleph..., well
you get the point.

-Dave

"Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> notaknob <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > The ride started at Talcione in Tuscany. Immediatly outside of town, the road switched to dirt.
> > As I passed the farmhouse of La Moraia, I noticed that almost every car in their lot was from
> > the Badenwurtemburg
>
> Summer in Italy and half of the cars have German plates? How surprising. BTW- I was over the the
> Pfalz last weekend with my "Heidelbeige" plates. We are everywhere!

They were mostly Schwabbies. PF, S, HN. I checked the calendar and it's Pfings-fieren now, so it
makes since. The one out of place car was from Vienna, Austria.

> > area. Following the Percorso Arancio route I soon arrived at the SS429. As I had a decent
> > topographical map, but couldn't find any "officially marked" trails on it, I started the hunt
> > and seek method of trail riding. I often regret this.
>
> It seems that trails are never marked and only half of the unimogable tracks are. Was it a Kompass
> or Tobacco map? I have both for Meran and I must say that the kompas sucks big sweaty eleph...,
> well you get the point.

Tobacco. I also have one for the Meran area. The hunt and seek method sometimes reveals decent
trails. It's not like I was going to end up in miles away from civilization in Tuscany. I passed
about 10 direct-sale winery's on every ride.

I was in Hafling last year and wouldn't want to do the climb from Merano -> Hafling on a regular
basis. The ride down was nice though... Old paverstyle road, slick, covered in leaves and steep.

Do you ride in the HD area?

nk

"Notaknob" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[email protected]...

> I was in Hafling last year and wouldn't want to do the climb from Merano -> Hafling on a regular
> basis. The ride down was nice though... Old paverstyle road, slick, covered in leaves and steep.

I have hiked there, but not ridden. There is a singletrack there that leads down toward Schenna.
It ought to be a real blast. I will not make it there this year; newborns and high altitude do
not mix well.

> Do you ride in the HD area?

Define the HD area. Konigstühl-Heiligenstein-Odenwald or the whole Rhine-Nekar Kreis? I live in
Rauenberg, about 15km south of HD proper. I have ridden up to Konigstühl a couple of times and
ridden up there, but I mostly ride in my area. The Kraichgau is not worth a major road trip, but it
does not have bad riding.

I take it that you ride the HD area often.

-Dave

> Define the HD area. Konigstühl-Heiligenstein-Odenwald or the whole Rhine-Nekar Kreis? I live in
> Rauenberg, about 15km south of HD proper. I have ridden up to Konigstühl a couple of times and
> ridden up there, but I mostly ride in my area. The Kraichgau is not worth a major road trip, but
> it does not have bad riding.
>
> I take it that you ride the HD area often.

HD for me would be the Konigstuhl/Stein area. More the WeisseStein than the Stuhl, as it's a little
less crowded. They've started doing more Forst-Arbeit up here in the last few years, so what was
decent double- track/single track is now road.

I actually live near Worms now and don't get into the Odenwald hills that often now. Most of my
rides are in the wineberge here searching out singletrack/whatever between the vineyards.

Bruce

"notaknob" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> I actually live near Worms now and don't get into the Odenwald hills that often now. Most of my
> rides are in the wineberge here searching out singletrack/whatever between the vineyards.

Most of my riding is also exploratory stuff that I can reach from my house. It is a hilly mix of
wineberge, wheat field and forest. I have a few favorite spots (including some short but sweet ST,
shhhh, don't tell the polizi) that I try to hit often, but I usually head out with a map and only a
general idea about where I will be riding that day.

Worms is not that far, we should take a ride together sometime. Odenwald? Pfälzerwald?

Cheers, Dave

> Most of my riding is also exploratory stuff that I can reach from my house. It is a hilly mix of
> wineberge, wheat field and forest. I have a few favorite spots (including some short but sweet ST,
> shhhh, don't tell the polizi) that I try to hit often, but I usually head out with a map and only
> a general idea about where I will be riding that day.
>
> Worms is not that far, we should take a ride together sometime. Odenwald? Pfälzerwald?

Sounds good. I work in Mannheim, so the Odenwald is probably easier.

I'll shoot you an email to coordinate something.

nk