RR: Chimney "ICE" Rock

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Ride-A-Lot, Feb 13, 2005.

  1. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Beautiful blue skies and 36F when I left the house for Chimney Rock
    park. It's a 1:30 minute drive, but what the heck! Turned out just
    Jay, Mike N., and I for this ride. When I got there, the conditions
    where nice. The ground was frozen and some ice had still resisted the thaw.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_0071.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_0072.jpg

    As it turns out, many of the trails were still trechorously icy.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_0074.jpg

    I was trying to play it conservative today because I am going on a
    biking holiday in two weeks. The last thing I want to do is get hurt.
    None-the-less, I feel hard after slipping on the ice. I hit my wrist
    pretty good, but I think I'll survive.

    There was a fair amount of climbing today, made even worse by the ice.
    Ice and incline definately do not mix. Lots of forks in the trail to
    [insert your stupid fork / knife / spoon joke here].

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_0077.jpg

    OK. This next photo was at the end of a nasty climb. I was going to
    photoshop it to make it look like it was accomplished. Unfortunately
    one of the poseurs doesn't know how to pose and is leaning just a bit
    too much to be convincing.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_0082.jpg

    Chimney rock surrounds a huge slate quarry. I suppose there will come a
    day when you'll be able to see right out to the highway.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_0084.jpg

    As the day wore on, the trails began to melt. They became pretty soggy
    and muddy in places, so the time came to head out to avoid any damage.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_0086.jpg

    On the way back we had to stop at the stairs!

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_0087.jpg

    Which we all did, even me.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_0091.jpg

    The last bit of trail before the lot, has tons of log overs and a couple
    of jumps.

    Mike "Air" Newman shows us how it's done!

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_0093.jpg

    Chimney Rock is a great place to ride. Not the tallest spot in New
    Jersey, but it's a little bit of wilderness in a very suburban setting.
    I grew up around this area, so I am very familiar with the
    neighboring towns. In fact, I took a little 10 mile detour on the way
    home to stop at Harolds New York deli for some grub.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_0095.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_0097.jpg

    Yes, that is ONE corned beef on rye sandwich ($23) and ONE slice of
    chocolate mousse cake ($11)! Harold was the original operator of the
    world famous Carnegie deli in NYC. He started his own place and kind of
    upped it a notch. By the way, that's a pound and a half of corned beef
    on that bread.
    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

    Tags:

  2. Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    > Beautiful blue skies and 36F when I left the house for Chimney Rock
    >
    > http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_0095.jpg
    >
    > http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_0097.jpg
    >
    > Yes, that is ONE corned beef on rye sandwich ($23) and ONE slice of
    > chocolate mousse cake ($11)! Harold was the original operator of

    the
    > world famous Carnegie deli in NYC. He started his own place and kind

    of
    > upped it a notch. By the way, that's a pound and a half of corned

    beef
    > on that bread.

    After eating that, stop here in my town, Clearfield, Pa. and sample
    this:

    <http://www.snopes.com/photos/commercials/bigburger.asp>

    Only one person has been able to eat it in the required 3 hour time
    limit.

  3. Bob R

    Bob R Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Better get going, "E" is running a special on Michael's Neverland
    > Ranch.
    > You might be able to pick up a few pointers from Jack-O about keeping
    > kiddie porn on the down low.

    Gee Ricky,

    You're humping so hard it's time for a little K-Y on my leg

  4. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    >
    >>Beautiful blue skies and 36F when I left the house for Chimney Rock
    >>
    >>http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_0095.jpg
    >>
    >>http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_0097.jpg
    >>
    >>Yes, that is ONE corned beef on rye sandwich ($23) and ONE slice of
    >>chocolate mousse cake ($11)! Harold was the original operator of

    > the
    >
    >>world famous Carnegie deli in NYC. He started his own place and kind

    > of
    >
    >>upped it a notch. By the way, that's a pound and a half of corned

    > beef
    >
    >>on that bread.

    > After eating that, stop here in my town, Clearfield, Pa. and sample
    > this:
    >
    > <http://www.snopes.com/photos/commercials/bigburger.asp>
    >
    > Only one person has been able to eat it in the required 3 hour time
    > limit.

    LOL! At least I can make a few sandwiches from the one of mine. It
    looks like you have to eat that whole burger at once!

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  5. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    > Chimney Rock is a great place to ride. Not the tallest spot in New
    > Jersey, but it's a little bit of wilderness in a very suburban setting.

    For a while I thought you were talking about Chimney Rock, NC.
    Cool pics..

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC

  6. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Zilla wrote:
    >>Chimney Rock is a great place to ride. Not the tallest spot in New
    >>Jersey, but it's a little bit of wilderness in a very suburban setting.

    > For a while I thought you were talking about Chimney Rock, NC.
    > Cool pics..

    I think there is a Chimney Rock in about every state. Google it.
    Probably would have been less icy in your area.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  7. I've been to Chimney Rock dozens of times and, yeah, when it's wet
    and/or icy, all that slate gets reeeal nasty. What's painful is that
    none of it puts you in much danger in terms of falling from a height or
    at a bad angle, yet it's an instant wrist-buster. I find it hard to
    relax and keep my head forward to prevent 'riding on eggshells'. It
    takes so much concentration to keep my front wheel from sliding out I
    wind up bailing anytime there's the slightest obstacle, even though
    lots of the terrain is fairly flat and you'd bang right over it if dry.
    It's annoying -- everytime I stop because a greasy pebble I wind up
    having to talk to myself about strapping on a pair.
    Hartshorne's always good during the winter. It's on the sandy side and
    drains well. Round Valley is full of slimy babyheads but not as bad as
    Chimney Rock.
    I've been to Harold's too. That place makes me happy and depressed at
    the same time. It symbolizes everything that's glorious and damaged
    with America, truly conspicuous, blind consumption. It's like eating a
    Humvee. My sense of proportion gets whacked out and, at 6'3, I feel
    like a wee lad. To complete the sensation they should really provide
    giant utensils, forks the size of spatulas with butcher knives. The pic
    of the slice of cake doesn't do it justice. We take my dad there for
    his birthday.

    /s

  8. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I've been to Chimney Rock dozens of times and, yeah, when it's wet
    > and/or icy, all that slate gets reeeal nasty. What's painful is that
    > none of it puts you in much danger in terms of falling from a height or
    > at a bad angle, yet it's an instant wrist-buster. I find it hard to
    > relax and keep my head forward to prevent 'riding on eggshells'. It
    > takes so much concentration to keep my front wheel from sliding out I
    > wind up bailing anytime there's the slightest obstacle, even though
    > lots of the terrain is fairly flat and you'd bang right over it if dry.
    > It's annoying -- everytime I stop because a greasy pebble I wind up
    > having to talk to myself about strapping on a pair.

    Yup! That's exactly the description of how it was. I've been there
    plenty of times when it was dry and it is a fun place. This was the
    first time there when it was slippery. After the first two falls I was
    pretty much in crawl mode. I have had my share of spills in the dry
    weather too. Check out my Carnage video (http://tinyurl.com/4yjen).
    That was at CR on a dry warm day.

    > Hartshorne's always good during the winter. It's on the sandy side and
    > drains well. Round Valley is full of slimy babyheads but not as bad as
    > Chimney Rock.

    Hartshorne = climbing! Great place and views of the ocean to boot!

    > I've been to Harold's too. That place makes me happy and depressed at
    > the same time. It symbolizes everything that's glorious and damaged
    > with America, truly conspicuous, blind consumption. It's like eating a
    > Humvee. My sense of proportion gets whacked out and, at 6'3, I feel
    > like a wee lad. To complete the sensation they should really provide
    > giant utensils, forks the size of spatulas with butcher knives. The pic
    > of the slice of cake doesn't do it justice. We take my dad there for
    > his birthday.

    There was no angle to shoot that cake at to make it look bigger than a
    "regular" slice. I bought the full version of that cake for my son's
    first birthday. I was watching the people eating while waiting for my
    food. It's amazing to see the look on their faces. Someone got the
    pancakes. They took home the leftovers in a pizza box!

    It's not a bad place to go if people share the food. But then you all
    have to want the same thing. Definately a good place for a giant (which
    is just about anyone standing next to 5'5" me) to go.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  9. Way to tackle that tree.
    That Joey album sure is great, isn't it? Kinda brings his
    obsessive/compulsive tendencies to the fore, which is interesting.
    Every song's lyrics are so repetitive it's like a mantra. One perfect
    phrase, over and over.

    /s
    "Second verse, same as the first."