RR: cogsgirls

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by SuzieB, Feb 18, 2006.

  1. SuzieB

    SuzieB New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2005
    As my regular riding buddies were otherwise engaged I decided to try out a cogsgirls ride yesterday. I arrived right on 7am nervous as hell because I get shy around new people but Warren greeted me warmly. We had a chat about riding in bunches and signalling then set off. Made it to the first petrol station where we stopped for a short while to wait for the rain to pass. Here we hooked up with another couple of ladies who had been driving around looking for the meeting point. On the way down to Sandringham Warren showed me that it is possible to touch shoulders with the person next to you and not come down in a screaming mess and I chatted to some of the other ladies in the group. At Sandringham we did a little work on one ladies bike then Warren showed us a nice little quiet block to ride around so we practised changing places on pairs and cornering. I loved the cornering and feel much happier and more confident about it now. It was a quick ride back to Elwood Beach Cafe where the obligatory coffee was consumed.

    I had a fabulous time, learnt a lot, met some nice ladies and have now decided I have to visit Warren's shop, Bike Now, as I am so very appreciative of him taking the time to help out women cyclists the way he does. I would highly recommend a Saturday morning ride with cogsgirls if you are a female in Melbourne looking to learn some new skills and feel more confident out on the roads.

  2. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Apologies for informing you about Cogs Girls, and then not attending! Warren's a great coach, I'm looking forward to getting my arse into gear (so to speak) and pedalling down to the CG sessions. :)
    http://www.bikenow.com.au/about_us/cogs.htm

  3. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "SuzieB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > As my regular riding buddies were otherwise engaged I decided to try out
    > a 'cogsgirls' (http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/cogsgirls/) ride
    > yesterday. I arrived right on 7am nervous as hell because I get shy
    > around new people but Warren greeted me warmly. We had a chat about
    > riding in bunches and signalling then set off. Made it to the first
    > petrol station where we stopped for a short while to wait for the rain
    > to pass. Here we hooked up with another couple of ladies who had been
    > driving around looking for the meeting point. On the way down to
    > Sandringham Warren showed me that it is possible to touch shoulders
    > with the person next to you and not come down in a screaming mess and I
    > chatted to some of the other ladies in the group. At Sandringham we did
    > a little work on one ladies bike then Warren showed us a nice little
    > quiet block to ride around so we practised changing places on pairs and
    > cornering. I loved the cornering and feel much happier and more
    > confident about it now. It was a quick ride back to Elwood Beach Cafe
    > where the obligatory coffee was consumed.
    >
    > I had a fabulous time, learnt a lot, met some nice ladies and have now
    > decided I have to visit Warren's shop, 'Bike Now'
    > (http://www.bikenow.com.au/), as I am so very appreciative of him
    > taking the time to help out women cyclists the way he does. I would
    > highly recommend a Saturday morning ride with cogsgirls if you are a
    > female in Melbourne looking to learn some new skills and feel more
    > confident out on the roads.
    >
    > There is a yahoo group to join for information about the rides -
    > http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/cogsgirls/.
    >
    > --
    > SuzieB

    Sounds like a great idea.....just watch the prices before you buy anything
    at Bike Now as I have stuck my head in there a couple of times and they
    looked pretty pricey.

    Gags

  4. On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 14:19:45 +1100, SuzieB wrote:

    > I had a fabulous time, learnt a lot, met some nice ladies

    The last bit makes it a definite improvement over my regular groups.

    "I'm a beginner, honestly! I was just born with these legs!" :)

  5. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    unfortunately yep, BikeNow is my LBS and the guys there are great, I get all my work done there, but their prices for parts I just cant justify, so I usually buy everything myself, take it in and get them to do the work for me, major servicing they do for me as well.