RR: Copper Canyon, Mexico (Very Long)

Shaun aRe wrote:

> You were trying to hard Bill ',;~}~

Nah, that's one thing that still works fine, thanks.

HANDTYVM ~;_)@>;)
--
"Sorry the world just does not work by your white penis ass."
-- Pungent Cloud

(It's a "rec" cycling newsgroup thing)

"S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shaun aRe wrote:
>
> > You were trying to hard Bill ',;~}~

> Nah, that's one thing that still works fine, thanks.

Damnit - I hate when I drop an 'O'...

Shaun aRe ...instead of an 'E'...

Shaun aRe wrote:
> "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Shaun aRe wrote:
>>
>>> You were trying to hard Bill ',;~}~

>> Nah, that's one thing that still works fine, thanks.

> Damnit - I hate when I drop an 'O'...

You misspelled 'testicle'.

(Hey, this is fun!)

:p

[email protected] wrote:
> How much did your Titus cost? How much do you make a year?
> Pardon moi, Mr. Butterflies-Are-Free. But $1200 ain't bad.
> /s

I'm drawing the line at the trip cost. My Titus was an NOS 2004, just
after the 2005's came out and I sold one of my other bikes to pay for
it. You can do the math. I never pay retail! I make more than than a
McDonald's cook and less than Bill Gates. Like I said, my trip money
comes from selling odds and ends and doing some consulting work for
local small businesses. I help the local small businesses with using
technology to fill specific needs, like bulk mailing, websites,
databases, communications, marketing, etc. It's all by word of mouth
and done at night or weekends after my regular job. It doesn't come
frequently, but there's enough of it around so that I can have a little
fun now and then.

Maybe this will satisfy your curiosity. Why does it matter, anyway?

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

[email protected] wrote:
> Satisfied my funny bone! Sorry, I was just joking around about the job
> and bike. But the trip cost I was actually interested in.
>
> /s

I define how much I am willing to pay by how much I can't do on my own
or am afraid to alone. Simple as that. Next trip: Idaho in August!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > How much did your Titus cost? How much do you make a year?
> > Pardon moi, Mr. Butterflies-Are-Free. But $1200 ain't bad.
> > /s
> >

> I'm drawing the line at the trip cost. My Titus was an NOS 2004, just

> after the 2005's came out and I sold one of my other bikes to pay for

> it. You can do the math. I never pay retail! I make more than than

> McDonald's cook and less than Bill Gates. Like I said, my trip money
> comes from selling odds and ends and doing some consulting work for
> local small businesses. I help the local small businesses with using

> technology to fill specific needs, like bulk mailing, websites,
> databases, communications, marketing, etc. It's all by word of mouth

> and done at night or weekends after my regular job. It doesn't come
> frequently, but there's enough of it around so that I can have a

little
> fun now and then.
>
> Maybe this will satisfy your curiosity. Why does it matter, anyway?

It matters to Ne><uS. He's got a voodoo doll with your name on it big
spender!

"S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Shaun aRe wrote:
> > "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >> Nah, that's one thing that still works fine, thanks.

> > Damnit - I hate when I drop an 'O'...

> You misspelled 'testicle'.
>
> (Hey, this is fun!)
>
> :p

Hey you, you can't be mean to me! - I'm a GOOD BOY - I've volunteered to
help at a donations call centre tonight, for the Children in Need/Red Nose
Day 'charradee' TV-athon thingumy. ;-(

Shaun aRe - 'Friday night in...'

Shaun aRe wrote:
> "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>
>>Shaun aRe wrote:
>>
>>>"S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>Damnit - I hate when I drop an 'O'...

>>You misspelled 'testicle'.
>>
>>(Hey, this is fun!)
>>
>>:p

> Hey you, you can't be mean to me! - I'm a GOOD BOY - I've volunteered to
> help at a donations call centre tonight, for the Children in Need/Red Nose
> Day 'charradee' TV-athon thingumy. ;-(
>

> Shaun aRe - 'Friday night in...'

Kudos to you!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"small change" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>> There are four different "officials" in Mexico. The local Policia,
>> who are basically drunk all day. They were very pleasant to deal
>> with. We saw them quite often, usually driving their entire five
>> person family in the front cab of the police pickup. Then the
>> Military. These guys are basically the equivelant of the Army Corp
>> of Engineers, but they love holding their m-16's (or whatever the new
>> equivalent is called). They run a border stop, but again are pretty
>> much drunk the whole time. They always waved when we rode by. Then
>> you have the federales. These are the bad guys (but not the worst).
>> You just give them some cash and they go on their way. The ones you
>> want to watch out for are the secret police. These guys are supposed
>> to make sure that the others are not currupt. The only problem is
>> that they take that power to their head. They will travel in threes.
>> The lead guy wuill always have a dark suit and a briefcase. The
>> other two are usually giant sized meatheads whose sole pupose is to
>> beat you to a pulp, without any questions. You usually have had to
>> do something really arrogant to get their attention.

> ****
> We didn't see
>> any of them on the trip.

> So, what book did you get all that out of? Seriously, that smacks of
> stereotyping and that's pathetic, I'm sorry to say. You didn't mention
> the
> Green Angels, who are help stranded tourists with car trouble, for free.
> Or
> did your book leave that part out? Sure, stereo types exist, and I myself
> ran into a cop who wanted money for directions. But you are using a broad
> brush to paint a picture of a culture that you experienced through a
> guide
> service.
>
> Penny

As someone who visits regulary, I'd have to say he is pretty spot on...

Dave W wrote:
> "small change" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...>>
>> Penny
>>

> As someone who visits regulary, I'd have to say he is pretty spot
> on...

My experience was different, is all. I can't wait to see how he stereotypes
Idaho.

Penny

Shaun aRe wrote:
> "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>> Shaun aRe wrote:
>>> "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Damnit - I hate when I drop an 'O'...

>> You misspelled 'testicle'.
>>
>> (Hey, this is fun!)
>>
>> :p

> Hey you, you can't be mean to me! - I'm a GOOD BOY - I've volunteered
> to help at a donations call centre tonight, for the Children in
> Need/Red Nose Day 'charradee' TV-athon thingumy. ;-(

Good on ya, mate. I've done some similar "community service"-type work over
the years, and it's very rewarding.

(BTW, just because it's called "Red Nose Day" doesn't mean you should show
up totally snockered, eh! :) )

Now red EYED day...

Enjoy, BS (no, I mean it)

small change wrote:
> Dave W wrote:
>
>>"small change" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:p[email protected]...>>
>>
>>>Penny
>>>

>>As someone who visits regulary, I'd have to say he is pretty spot
>>on...

> My experience was different, is all. I can't wait to see how he stereotypes
> Idaho.
>
> Penny

Come on Penny. I am not stereotyping. This is how it was in this
particular part of the country. OK, maybe to say "they were drunk all
day" is wrong. I retract that, but every local policia (yes all six of
them) that we personally encountered were obviously intoxicated.

I never said that was a bad thing. They were all very pleasant individuals.

Remember that Mexico's legal system is based on Napoleon justice. You
need to be very careful because you are guilty until proven innocent.

A lot of drinking goes on in Batopilas. One of the guys who was laying
the bricks for the new road was also a Mariocchi (sp?) guitar player.
He performed for us one night at the hotel right after we saw him at the
construction site in town. He arrived at the hotel an hour later two
sheets to the wind. He was still entertaining though.

As for Idaho stereotypes, I suppose every one eats potatoes every night? :)

That's a joke, by the way.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

> Come on Penny. I am not stereotyping.

All stereotypes have some basis in reality. I was called a
" aging hippie" last night <g>

> As for Idaho stereotypes, I suppose every one eats potatoes every
> night? :)

Yup, as they are watching the skies for black helicopters, building bombs
for the Unabomber, and loading groceries for Demi Moore.

ps

small change wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>
>>Come on Penny. I am not stereotyping.

> All stereotypes have some basis in reality. I was called a
> " aging hippie" last night <g>
>

>>As for Idaho stereotypes, I suppose every one eats potatoes every
>>night? :)
>>

> Yup, as they are watching the skies for black helicopters, building bombs
> for the Unabomber, and loading groceries for Demi Moore.
>
> ps

Mmmm.... I'd load groceries for Demi Moore (even at her age, which is
less than mine I think).

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

> No book, Penny. I am only pointing out the levels of authority. As I
> said from the beginning, I think that Mexico is overall positive and not
> the **** you see going on in the border towns. Of the three local
> policia I encountered, all were as I described. It's a small town. The
> bigest crime there is running over a chicken.
>
> Again, if you go around looking for trouble you will find it. It
> doesn't matter what country. I personally like to avoid problems from
> the get go. If I see people congregating in one spot, I'll take another
> route.

Ditto what Penny wrote.

My experience in border towns (including getting
pulled over in Ensenada after making an illegal U
turn in front of Senor Frog's), my experience in
remote Baja ( an 800 mile windsurfari and visiting
remote fishing villages while sailing down the
Pacific coast18 years later), my experience in
"real," non-tourist large Mexican towns [like La
Paz two days ago...], my experience in remote
mainland towns south of PV, my experience in PV
and my experience in tourist meccas like Cabo, all
point to the fact that your bad spy novel
stereotypes reinforce the "ugly american" that is
at the heart of many people who head South...

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shaun aRe wrote:
> > "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:p[email protected]...

> >>You misspelled 'testicle'.
> >>
> >>(Hey, this is fun!)
> >>
> >>:p

> > Hey you, you can't be mean to me! - I'm a GOOD BOY - I've volunteered to
> > help at a donations call centre tonight, for the Children in Need/Red

Nose
> > Day 'charradee' TV-athon thingumy. ;-(
> >

> > Shaun aRe - 'Friday night in...'
> >

> Kudos to you!

Cheers! It was fun, despite me being TOTALLY knackered and in need of sleep
(I was so tired when I wrote that post in fact, that I said it was children
in need - it had nothing to do with them! It was part of Comic Relief, fund
razing for starving people around the globe.)

Kath took the nights biggest single donation (in our particular call
centre), of £2000 too! The callers were all great, bar one or two.

Shaun aRe

"S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shaun aRe wrote:
> > "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:p[email protected]...

> >> You misspelled 'testicle'.
> >>
> >> (Hey, this is fun!)
> >>
> >> :p

> > Hey you, you can't be mean to me! - I'm a GOOD BOY - I've volunteered
> > to help at a donations call centre tonight, for the Children in
> > Need/Red Nose Day 'charradee' TV-athon thingumy. ;-(

(See above about me getting mixed up - it wasn't children in need - I was so
freaking tired...)

> Good on ya, mate. I've done some similar "community service"-type work

over
> the years, and it's very rewarding.

Yeah, it was good!

Makes you see how generous and caring some folk are, compaed to others. I
took the afternoon off work to get ready for our 6 1/2 hours manning phones
and filling in forms etc, and to hopefully get a little sleep as I was so
damned tired (didn't happen!). Guess what? - I got my wage docked for the
damned half day. UNBELIEVABLE! I mean, we all gave up 6 1/2 hours of our
Friday night, most of us at least quite tired from a full working week... oh
ignore me - I'm starting to rant now...

> (BTW, just because it's called "Red Nose Day" doesn't mean you should show
> up totally snockered, eh! :) )

Heheh, I only took a small hip flask of brandy with me ',;~}~

> Now red EYED day...

Hells, even *I* wouldn't have been able to cope with it all in that state!
We only got our training with the phone system and form filling, and our
'script' 10 minutes before the phones went live! I've never done anything
like it before... Talk about sweaty palms when they did go live... sheesh!

Shaun aRe

Nice one, I'll have to call you Shaun 'I do a lot of work for Charitee
mates' Rimmer from now on...

Steve.