RR: Coral Ranch, Proctor, and Aspen Loop - Idaho

Ride-A-Lot

Guest
[Inline version available here: http://tinyurl.com/856bk]

Ketchum, ID

We arrive in Boise on Saturday and wait for the other folks to get in (8
people on four different flights).

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2650.jpg

We make it to Ketchum in great time and settle into the house. Joe
tests out his bed.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2652.jpg

The house if nice with great views of the Warm Springs lift and ski
trails. It's also extremely convenient to great riding. Right out the
door and down to the trails.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2654.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2655.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2656.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2657.jpg

Sunday and it's time to ride. Originally the plan was for a short ride
so that we could get our lungs and recover from the flight. We were
just supposed to do Coral Ranch loop, but as you will see the plans
changed when the fun began.

We head out right from the house and ride the four miles up the road to
the trailhead.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2662.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2664.jpg

At the trailhead we confirm that the best route for maximum fun is up
the fire road and down the singletrack. So we ride a little further up
and head up the fire road.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2665.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2669.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2674.jpg

Finally the singletrack. Just a short climb to a great buff rolling
trail. It's all downhill from here and fast. Some great field riding
as well as the twisties through the trees. Nothing technical about it,
but it's sure built for speed.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2675.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2676.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2677.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2680.jpg

At the end there is another trail called Proctor which heads up the
mountain. Not conent with the fund we just had, we decide to head up
proctor and up and up. 2000' of climbing in a very short mileage. One
tough climb!

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2682.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2685.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2686.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2687.jpg

The climb finally ends with an incredible view that makes up for the agony.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2691.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2693.jpg

It's all downhill from here. We start with a sketchy steep drop down
the slopes of Sun Valley. Yeh, it's fast but one wrong move and you'll
be rolling down the hill. This leads us down to the Aspen Loop which
again like Coral is fast and FUN! No pics here because I wasn't
stopping for fear the grin on my face would go away. It didn't. At the
end we all said the brutal climb was worth it.

An excellent start to the week!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"Ride-A-Lot" <"mitchel[nospam]"@schnauzers.ws> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [Inline version available here: http://tinyurl.com/856bk]
>
> Ketchum, ID
>
> We arrive in Boise on Saturday and wait for the other folks to get in (8
> people on four different flights).> It's all downhill from here. We start
> with a sketchy steep drop down the slopes of Sun Valley. Yeh, it's fast
> but one wrong move and you'll be rolling down the hill. This leads us
> down to the Aspen Loop which again like Coral is fast and FUN! No pics
> here because I wasn't stopping for fear the grin on my face would go away.
> It didn't. At the end we all said the brutal climb was worth it.
>
> An excellent start to the week!
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

Welcome to the hood. Sorry we missed you, but know you'll have an awesome
week.

If you're going up toward Stanley to do Fisher Williams, you oughta try to
catch Little Basin Creek and Elk Meadows, too.

CDB

Paladin wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" <"mitchel[nospam]"@schnauzers.ws> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>[Inline version available here: http://tinyurl.com/856bk]
>>
>>Ketchum, ID
>>
>>We arrive in Boise on Saturday and wait for the other folks to get in (8
>>people on four different flights).> It's all downhill from here. We start
>>with a sketchy steep drop down the slopes of Sun Valley. Yeh, it's fast
>>but one wrong move and you'll be rolling down the hill. This leads us
>>down to the Aspen Loop which again like Coral is fast and FUN! No pics
>>here because I wasn't stopping for fear the grin on my face would go away.
>>It didn't. At the end we all said the brutal climb was worth it.
>>
>>An excellent start to the week!
>>
>>--
>>o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>>www.schnauzers.ws

> Welcome to the hood. Sorry we missed you, but know you'll have an awesome
> week.
>
> If you're going up toward Stanley to do Fisher Williams, you oughta try to
> catch Little Basin Creek and Elk Meadows, too.
>
> CDB

Thanks. Fisher Williams is on our list. Today is a rest day with just
a fire road trek to the warm springs.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

No anger inteded.....so what happened to meeting us? I stayed through
Monday and left on Tuesday morning. Did the site seeing thing going
through Craters of the Moon and ending up at Minnetonka Cave/Bear Lake
where I found some awesome single track (starting with double track),
hot springs and beach only 17 miles from the campsite. We had a great
time and made some wonderful new friends.

Be prepared to go to Washington/Oregon next year! I'm in and can't
wait.

Pictures to follow sometime next week as I'm in Colorado on that damn
26.4 phone line...

Got to get satellite internet access! What? It's only money!

Gary

GeeDubb wrote:
> No anger inteded.....so what happened to meeting us? I stayed through
> Monday and left on Tuesday morning. Did the site seeing thing going
> through Craters of the Moon and ending up at Minnetonka Cave/Bear Lake
> where I found some awesome single track (starting with double track),
> hot springs and beach only 17 miles from the campsite. We had a great
> time and made some wonderful new friends.
>
> Be prepared to go to Washington/Oregon next year! I'm in and can't
> wait.
>
> Pictures to follow sometime next week as I'm in Colorado on that damn
> 26.4 phone line...
>
> Got to get satellite internet access! What? It's only money!
>
> Gary

Gary, satellite access is not very good, I've had it.
Slow up load speeds, dedicated computer (at least with Starband) to
decode data, and intermittent service.
I'm glad DSL finally made my area.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."
Edward R. Murrow

GeeDubb wrote:
> No anger inteded.....so what happened to meeting us? I stayed through
> Monday and left on Tuesday morning. Did the site seeing thing going
> through Craters of the Moon and ending up at Minnetonka Cave/Bear Lake
> where I found some awesome single track (starting with double track),
> hot springs and beach only 17 miles from the campsite. We had a great
> time and made some wonderful new friends.
>
> Be prepared to go to Washington/Oregon next year! I'm in and can't
> wait.
>
> Pictures to follow sometime next week as I'm in Colorado on that damn
> 26.4 phone line...
>
> Got to get satellite internet access! What? It's only money!
>
> Gary

finally found HOT springs, eh? If we'd had cell phone access heading N, we
would have called. There were several fantastic ones within 50 miles of our
camp, all along the Salmon river. We didn't stop but we did check them out.

Penny

small change wrote:
> GeeDubb wrote:
> > No anger inteded.....so what happened to meeting us? I stayed through
> > Monday and left on Tuesday morning. Did the site seeing thing going
> > through Craters of the Moon and ending up at Minnetonka Cave/Bear Lake
> > where I found some awesome single track (starting with double track),
> > hot springs and beach only 17 miles from the campsite. We had a great
> > time and made some wonderful new friends.
> >
> > Be prepared to go to Washington/Oregon next year! I'm in and can't
> > wait.
> >
> > Pictures to follow sometime next week as I'm in Colorado on that damn
> > 26.4 phone line...
> >
> > Got to get satellite internet access! What? It's only money!
> >
> > Gary

> finally found HOT springs, eh? If we'd had cell phone access heading N, we
> would have called. There were several fantastic ones within 50 miles of our
> camp, all along the Salmon river. We didn't stop but we did check them out.
>
> Penny

With the already excessive fuel bill, heading North wouldn't have been
prudent. The map shows many along your path but not the way we went.
Finding the hs was a fluke as we were headed to the lake anyway so the
kids could go swimming (though too cold and windy).

We had a great time anyway.

Gary

Then since I'm only up here a few times a year then it wouldn't make
sense. Thanks for the tip. I guess I'll take Ride-a-lot's advice and
find a wifi coffee shop.

I tried connecting to Montrose and Telluride but both land lines are a
whopping 26.4 kbs.

oh well.

Gary

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>We make it to Ketchum in great time and settle into the house.

d00d, we were right up the road!

>Joe tests out his bed.

No comment.

>Originally the plan was for a short ride

so that we could get our lungs and recover from the flight.

Good luck with that...I was still having problems on Sunday. That's my
story & I'm sticking to it.

>The climb finally ends with an incredible view that makes up for the agony.

Almost makes you forget the climb up, eh! :)

Sounds like you had fun. Thanks for posting.

gabrielle