RR: 'Crossing the 'Fling

kanangara

New Member
May 16, 2004
Shortly after Last year's Highland Fling (and possibly too many beers) I thought that a cyclocross bike would be the perfect bike for this event. I started collecting bits & pieces, before finally getting the Surly Cross-Check frame about a month ago. The build is very nice except for the wheels (Shimano WH-R550[1]), but they survived some rigorous testing at the Singles Speed Nats, a few weeks commuting and some urban silliness[2] so I figured they'd hold up for the 100 or so km.

From here on in I made a few silly decisions that ended giving me a day of hurt.

Firstly - I listened to Liam on gear choice. I'd been tossing up whether to run 32:18 or 32:16 (which happened to be the cogs I had laying around). The Pink Monkey sagely suggested that a 17 would probably be a good compromise. My memories of last year was of an absolute spinfest at the beginning and end of stage two, so Liam's suggestion didn't seem too unreasonable.

The second thing I did wrong was race in a kilt - well at least start the race in a kilt. They are hot, makes it hard to reach your bottle and the back gets caught in your canti brakes. I started well, though sweating profusely having lots of fun. In one of the early sections of single track I stop to help a guy extract his chain from between his cluster & spokes. Shortly after I need to stop and retention my chain as it was skipping on all the climbs. Dunk flew past me at this point on his new Zion SS 29er.

Chain fixed & I'm back riding trying to chase Dunk back down. In the Penrose single track section I'm caught behind a guy on a Stumpy with no where to pass until we get to the road - I move to go around him then psssssssss. Front tyre fully deflated. Andrew now catches me and offers to help by taking a photo as I change the tube at this stage I also realise I've left my second spare tube back at the camp. Andrew gives me a spare and heads off leaving me to finish fixing the puncture. Since I'm stopped I decide to disrobe and remove the kilt before I cook myself. Back on the bike I sit behind a very nice Ventana El Conquistador Tandem & draft them into the first transition.

The third thing was to not drink enough on the first stage[3]. This was worse by not topping up my water at the first transition. I caught back up to Dunk, thanks to getting a good tow from the Clarence Street pair of Katrin & Kimberly. There were some fun descents in this section including chasing Craig (aka fatnold) on his Enduro down a long steep decent with lots of water bars - I think it gave him the shock of his life to find I was still on his tail at the bottom of that hill. More climbs, more decents and into the new single track. This is where not drinking enough caught up with me. Getting up from a fall whist attempting to track stand whilst waiting for a couple of guys to walk a log the first cramp hit. From then on each leg, quad, calf was taking their turn to cramp. The Jug Monkey caught me & we rode most of the rest of the race together.

At the half way hill, the firey's were generously handing out bottles of water[4]. Here a guy asked us if we knew anything about fixing chains and the Jug Monkey graciously offered to help. I pointed out that the guy was asking a couple of singlespeeders to help fix his derailleur which was a worry. He had it all back together and ready to go until I pointed out the chain was not threaded through the derailleur properly.

The rest of the ride was a lot of ride then walk up the hills, with the exception of the Gauntlet were I walked down the hill. The condition of this was a lot worse than I remembered from last year.[5]
With 5km to go the Jug Monkey dropped me when I stopped to put the kilt back on for the finish.
In all the 'crosser was not a bad choice for the ride, especially with a bit more sensible gearing and some fatter rubber up the front[6]. I'm not sure I'll be doing it again... although I've said that before.

Parbs
http://singlespeed.smugmug.com/photos/110205936-S.jpg
1. It was Sunday arvo & I was desperate
2. Some Eastern suburbs single track, stairs and a skatepark
3. It's hard to reach a water bottle with a kilt on
4. BIG THANKS to these guys
5. I need to come back and ride this fresh
6. The Cross-Check will fit 45's (and still have room for mud guards!!)

kanangara said:
The second thing I did wrong was race in a kilt - well at least start the race in a kilt. They are hot, makes it hard to reach your bottle and the back gets caught in your canti brakes.

Ditch the Scottish garb, get a Hawaiian Racing Grass skirt, as it can be cut to suit and is very adaptable for cycling use. :p

cfsmtb wrote:
> Ditch the Scottish garb, get a Hawaiian 'Racing Grass skirt'
> (http://www.flickr.com/photos/51035538080@N01/14884647/), as it can be
> cut to suit and is very adaptable for cycling use. :p

Very nice, but how do you keep the chamois in place? :-o

Parbs - thinking that a Hawaiian Fling theme a the Highland Fling could
be a very good idea...

Parbs said:
Very nice, but how do you keep the chamois in place? :-o

Parbs - thinking that a Hawaiian Fling theme a the Highland Fling could
be a very good idea...

Look more carefully, there's 3/4 knicks under the petticoat. :D

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 14 Nov 2006 10:51:27 GMT
Parbs <[email protected]> wrote:
> cfsmtb wrote:
> > Ditch the Scottish garb, get a Hawaiian 'Racing Grass skirt'
>> (http://www.flickr.com/photos/51035538080@N01/14884647/), as it can be
>> cut to suit and is very adaptable for cycling use. :p
>>

> Very nice, but how do you keep the chamois in place? :-o

Duct Tape.

Although seeing as it's for a cycling event

Bar Tape. With glue...

Zebee