RR: D-Grade at National Bvld 11/11/06

parawolf

New Member
Jan 16, 2006
3rd in a Crit for my first start!

What an absolute adrenalin rush for 56 minutes and 40 seconds.

It all started nicely enough, C Grade and D Grade at the starting line together, all 18 of us (10 D grade, 8 C grade). But then it was off, gee i'm glad i've done some Tues/Thurs North Road Rides's as the pace was off like a shot. So was the heart rate.

Rounded the first turn - and I stopped pedalling mid corner (didn't apply brakes) and I dropped about 3 positions and had to dig in to stay on... righto, won't make that mistake again. National Bvlde is a smooth road circuit about 1.4km a lap. It is a brand new industrial estate just near Ford in Broadmeadows. The circuit was clean, and we had a tasty headwind down the back straight which was offset by the fact that the back straight was the downhill section.

This all made for some very fast racing in my opinion.

Early on in the race (about 2nd lap!) I thought well i'm goint to pop sooner rather than later, my HR was (I thought) through the roof and there was no signs of the pace letting up (doing about 38km/h). I was doing about 182bpm very early in the race and I thought I was just going to die early based on past experience. But at the same time I didn't feel like I was doing 182bpm.

Then the first surge came from someone else (impossible to tell D and C graders apart). We were suddenly doing 42 - 44km/h for a lap, HR was doing 190's, but I was glad again that i've done Tues/Thurs NRR's for this as my drafting skill was noticably better than most others. I could get closer and hold it for longer than those around me. Thanks to pointers from various people, I didn't freak out the first time that someone touched me on the upper thigh, low and behold I was closing someone out (unintentionally) and that was the way of telling me.

What I can say is though, is that previous bunches i've been with are 'loose' by comparison to the closeness side by side that this racing gets. I didn't see any true rubbing of shoulders but gee it was close.

The pace settled a bit mid race, to a lowly 28-30km/h which allowed me to gratefully rest my HR a bit (yaa 158-165bpm!), but that only lasted about 1 or 2 laps.

2/3's in I was hammering, I was feeling on top of the world and I had convinced myself that if I haven't popped at this work rate yet, i'm not going to until the end. I settled myself on third wheel with about 5 minutes to go, and then a surge came. It is quiet on the front you cannot hear those behind you at all. I decided (which I thought was silly at the time, but did it anyway) that I wanted to go with the surge regardless if it was D grade or C grade.

Swinging out, and boosting the cadence I caught onto the new leaders and I was still 3rd wheel, cranking along at 45km/h drafting my way, I was happy that this happened on the front straight, I kept my head around the top of the course not to let a gap occur, and I was close enough to get a solid draft down the back straight into the head wind and stop pedalling for a bit.

We came to the 40 minute marker, which the marshells then did the 3 laps to go bell for D Grade. C Graders called out saying - "Earn your money D Grade!". So that was it, 2 people made an attack from 36km/h to mid 40's again, I went with as I didn't want to loose my 3rd wheel position.

Pace settled again, I had dropped to 5th wheel, but I was comfortable here. I felt strong, I felt I had reserves for a sprint with 2 laps to go. From the last turn onto the front straight to the finish line was about 400metres, too long to sprint from the turn.

One lap to go, and off went another surge, I followed again this time just to make sure they didn't leave the group behind, if it came to it, i didn't want someone to make it an easy win. I was 4th into the back straight, round the second last corner and I was 5th. That was cool, my cornering had improved all race, and I new I could take this last corner fast and I had enough for a sprint.

Last corner, 2 abreast, and 3 riders in front 45km/h through the corner. I kept the cadence up and I shifted one gear down to give me something to spin into before I knew it, two riders shot past me - thats it, sprint is on!!

I watched two riders go wide, that's it, i'm now sixth wheel. Spin up, spin and spin some more I got out of the saddle for about 5 seconds to get the power going and then a sat down to continue to build cadence.

Up to 5th, then 4th. I spied 3rd position (2nd and 1st had well and truly gone) and I knew I could get him. At this stage we were probably doing 58-60km/h, I drafted up behind him from overtaking into 4th position and with about 50 metres to go I swung wide and just put the head down and span my legs out. I got him!! I continued across the finish line at 62.1km/h with a HR of 201bpm.

I couldn't help but let out a cheer for myself and give little clenched fist pump.

56minutes 41 seconds
32.8km Distance
34.8km/h Average
62.1km/h Top Speed
94 Cadence Average
136 Cadence Max (New max for me!)
173 bpm Heart Rate Average
201 bpm Heart Rate Max (New max for me!)

I couldn't believe the averages when I looked at them, 173bpm average for nearly a full hour, and I still mustered a sprint at the end.

On the cool down lap I wanted to throw up. Continued to have that feeling for about 10 minutes after the event, argh. Bought a sports drink (finished all mine during the race).

Wooo $15 prize money! I get my entry money back, + $5. Went to the local supermarket and bought a bag of natural confectionary lollies, a Boost chocolate bar, a Big M and a Cheesy Mite scroll from bakers delight.

It took about 80 minutes for the adrenalin to wear off. I couldn't help but be hyper post race, it was an absolute buzz. I'll be there again.

parawolf wrote:

> 3rd in a Crit for my first start!

[chomp]

fantastic!

"parawolf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> 3rd in a Crit for my first start!
>
> What an absolute adrenalin rush for 56 minutes and 40 seconds.

<snip>
> --
> parawolf

Well done always good to get a result in your first race, so this should
spur you on to much greater heights as it sounds like you have the right
want to win attitude and don't give up when the going gets tough, I hope it
is the start of the career of a great cyclist. :D

Who knows I might even see you at a race as I am planning on going down to
Melb for the Xmas track carnivals and I might do some crits as well, if you
get to race with me my wheel is the place to be as I am 193 cm tall and
weigh 97 kg's so you will get a good tow ;)

I had a hard weekend of racing myself.

I got 2nd in a B grade 25 km Friday afternoon race.

I was doing quite a bit of chasing and work on the front and with about 4
km's to go after I towed a heap of riders onto a break after the hill I
found myself near the back of the pack, with 2 km to go some one snapped
some spokes in the pack and riders panicked and all hit the brakes I then
found myself almost the last rider.
Then as we rounded the bend with 1.5 km to go Kelly Furey went on the
outside and started to go to the front so she could get into the turn around
early, I jumped on her wheel and she took me to about 6th spot.

The rider leading fell as he turned the witches hat, I yelled rider down and
the group slowed I then got through the corner and accelerated but not
enough to catch the first 3 riders that had jumped hard out of the turn, I
then just sat back and let them get about 30m gap as I did not want to tow
anyone onto them at this point, when we rounded the last corner with about
200m to go I hit the gas as hard as I could and closed the gap down in a
matter of seconds, I went past 2 of the riders like they were stopped and
just missed out on getting the winner by about 1/2 a bike length.

I was kind of glad I did not win that race as it was my first race with that
club on that course and I had to chat with the handicapper before the start
to get graded, and he asked me what grade do I ride with my club and I told
him B grade as that is the grade I am in with my club, but I ride in A grade
with the Vets club and he was racing today in A grade with me so I might
have felt bad winning my first race as I neglected to tell him I am in A
grade Vets ;)

I then raced from chopping block in a 35 km handicap on Sat, I stupidly
pulled out on the last lap after the scratch riders caught us as I did not
think they could catch limit and I did not think I could manage to do my
fair share of the turns with them at 45 + km/h into the headwind and 55 +
km/h with the tail wind.
It turned out the strongest A grade rider Glen Stojanow got 2nd place and
fastest time so he got $200 for fastest time and I think $150 for 2nd, one
of the other riders from my group managed to stay with them for the lap and
he got 3rd place, I could have out sprinted him had I not pulled the pin
stupidly :(

Then today ( Sunday ) I raced in A grade with the veterans club, I was doing
a little too much up the front chasing down attacks from the CFN team, and
jumping across to a few break always and I got tailed off on the last lap
with a heap of other riders including the guy that got 2nd in the last vets
race, When I stopped after 42 kms I had a average speed of 42 km/h.
When I got back to the club house the handicapper asked what the hell was
going on in A grade to cause all the carnage, as quite a few good riders had
been spat out the back, next time I race with that club I think I will have
to wear my club colours and see about getting a few more of my club mates to
counter the carnage that this CFN team was inflicting on us.

Quick Para, Entries for Tour of Bright close soon... Go onnnn!!!

Jono L said:
Quick Para, Entries for Tour of Bright close soon... Go onnnn!!!

not going to be suckered by you again! My next marker is continued D-Grade through summer, Alpine Classic in January, and continue to build strength and speed on the bike.

Gotta remember i've only be riding 12 months! and only six of those on a road bike!

parawolf said:
not going to be suckered by you again! My next marker is continued D-Grade through summer, Alpine Classic in January, and continue to build strength and speed on the bike.

Gotta remember i've only be riding 12 months! and only six of those on a road bike!

You don't get to designate grade for the whole season.
you place again, yer 'up' fella! :D

you gonna race the Kew crits? lemme know and I'll suck yer wheel :D:D:D

flyingdutch said:
You don't get to designate grade for the whole season.
you place again, yer 'up' fella! :D

you gonna race the Kew crits? lemme know and I'll suck yer wheel :D:D:D

I'll get some more speed into me and I might try the slightly stronger course of Kew. National Bvld is nice and flat, and a wonderfully smooth surface. Great place for introductions.

parawolf said:
I'll get some more speed into me and I might try the slightly stronger course of Kew. National Bvld is nice and flat, and a wonderfully smooth surface. Great place for introductions.

What I'm curious about is, you're happy to do the North Road (yeh I wander over to BV from time to time;) ) ride and get dropped, so why not race and get dropped? Besides that, the hawthorn crits are about the same as the coburg ones in terms of standard, it's just that with the hill, everyone suffers more!:D

Go oonnnn:D You've already placed! It took me till my 7th crit till I finished with the bunch, frankly I'm a little jealous!:p

Jono L said:
What I'm curious about is, you're happy to do the North Road (yeh I wander over to BV from time to time;) ) ride and get dropped, so why not race and get dropped?

I'll just have a guess and suggest it's because he doesn't have to pay to get dropped on the North Ride ride. ;)

jazmo said:
I'll just have a guess and suggest it's because he doesn't have to pay to get dropped on the North Ride ride. ;)

Heh top call. Kew crits are at a bad time of the week (Wednesdays) for me to get to after work.

Also still being a begineer and truly just building a base, i don't want to overdo any training and risk any prep I can do ahead of the Alpine Classic. It's about being a time poor working stiff unfortunately.

Jono L said:
What I'm curious about is, you're happy to do the North Road (yeh I wander over to BV from time to time;) ) ride and get dropped, so why not race and get dropped?

Ahh shucks... I thought you recognised my suffering style when the 6am Tuesday group last week swamped me at BP, after I started on the 0545 and got dropped at Mentone. :)

Bleve wrote:
> parawolf wrote:
>
>> 3rd in a Crit for my first start!
>>

> [chomp]
>
> fantastic!

Ditto! Super effort... I wish I could last that distance AND get a
place. Sounds like a small turnout to your crits. We had 200+ last
week with juniors, A-D, Open Women's, novice women's and novice men's.
Because we have so many grades we have short crits (D-grade 10 min + 3
for example - about 20 mins all up). I couldn't handle the distance you
went.... and at that pace! Woot! Nice going. BTW... was that D&C as a
combined grade? Can D draft C in that case? We have novices with D and
open women but they start 10-15 seconds later and aren't allowed to
draft (not that any have caught up yet!).

--
Bean

"I've got a bike
You can ride it if you like
It's got a basket
A bell that rings
And things to make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could
But I borrowed it" Pink Floyd

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

flyingdutch wrote:
> parawolf Wrote:
> > not going to be suckered by you again! My next marker is continued
> > D-Grade through summer, Alpine Classic in January, and continue to
> > build strength and speed on the bike.
> >
> > Gotta remember i've only be riding 12 months! and only six of those on
> > a road bike!

> You don't get to designate grade for the whole season.
> you place again, yer 'up' fella! :D
>
> you gonna race the Kew crits? lemme know and I'll suck yer wheel :D:D:D

Are *you* going to race Kew? :)

Bean Long said:
Ditto! Super effort... I wish I could last that distance AND get a
place. Sounds like a small turnout to your crits. We had 200+ last
week with juniors, A-D, Open Women's, novice women's and novice men's.
Because we have so many grades we have short crits (D-grade 10 min + 3
for example - about 20 mins all up). I couldn't handle the distance you
went.... and at that pace! Woot! Nice going. BTW... was that D&C as a
combined grade? Can D draft C in that case? We have novices with D and
open women but they start 10-15 seconds later and aren't allowed to
draft (not that any have caught up yet!).

C and D could draft each other as it was a mass start, not a staggered start, and to me there was no way to distinguish between C and D riders.

It was a small turn out (no more than 18 all up) but it made for some good riding. Nice tight and small bunches, good breaks and chases, and a nice clean sprint for the end.

Probably wasn't the greatest thing for C and D to start together, but it was a lovely pace, and I enjoyed it immensily. I'll do it again without doubt.

parawolf wrote:
> Bean Long Wrote:
>> Ditto! Super effort... I wish I could last that distance AND get a
>> place. Sounds like a small turnout to your crits. We had 200+ last
>> week with juniors, A-D, Open Women's, novice women's and novice men's.
>> Because we have so many grades we have short crits (D-grade 10 min + 3
>> for example - about 20 mins all up). I couldn't handle the distance
>> you
>> went.... and at that pace! Woot! Nice going. BTW... was that D&C as
>> combined grade? Can D draft C in that case? We have novices with D
>> and
>> open women but they start 10-15 seconds later and aren't allowed to
>> draft (not that any have caught up yet!).
>>

> C and D could draft each other as it was a mass start, not a staggered
> start, and to me there was no way to distinguish between C and D
> riders.
>
> It was a small turn out (no more than 18 all up) but it made for some
> good riding. Nice tight and small bunches, good breaks and chases, and
> a nice clean sprint for the end.
>
> Probably wasn't the greatest thing for C and D to start together, but
> it was a lovely pace, and I enjoyed it immensily. I'll do it again
> without doubt.

I hope it never happens to out C and D grades while I'm in D. I'd be
sure to drop dead after a few laps!

--
Bean

"I've got a bike
You can ride it if you like
It's got a basket
A bell that rings
And things to make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could
But I borrowed it" Pink Floyd

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Bean Long said:
I hope it never happens to our C and D grades while I'm in D. I'd be sure to drop dead after a few laps!

I'm not sure what to say to this, just that I enjoyed the pace. Checking my HR every now and then made me think I was never going to get a recovery period in the race, and even when we did it was 7 minutes at the 38 minute point and I was still above 160bpm.

I just managed to keep finding new legs every surge to hold my position - which in itself was an amazing feeling. The only had the lead for about 1/4 of one lap, spent about 5 laps in the top 3, but most of the time I was mixing it around middle of the pack, twice getting dropped to the back and had to bring myself back into the fold which was good to do.

I found a good medium between getting dropped, and driving the front - I was grateful that the surges didn't drain me too much.

While I no longer have the adrenalin rush now that I had for over 80 minutes post race, i'm still buzzed by it. So much fun.

Bean Long wrote:
> parawolf wrote:
> > Bean Long Wrote:
> >> Ditto! Super effort... I wish I could last that distance AND get a
> >> place. Sounds like a small turnout to your crits. We had 200+ last
> >> week with juniors, A-D, Open Women's, novice women's and novice men's.
> >> Because we have so many grades we have short crits (D-grade 10 min + 3
> >> for example - about 20 mins all up). I couldn't handle the distance
> >> you
> >> went.... and at that pace! Woot! Nice going. BTW... was that D&C as
> >> combined grade? Can D draft C in that case? We have novices with D
> >> and
> >> open women but they start 10-15 seconds later and aren't allowed to
> >> draft (not that any have caught up yet!).
> >>

> > C and D could draft each other as it was a mass start, not a staggered
> > start, and to me there was no way to distinguish between C and D
> > riders.
> >
> > It was a small turn out (no more than 18 all up) but it made for some
> > good riding. Nice tight and small bunches, good breaks and chases, and
> > a nice clean sprint for the end.
> >
> > Probably wasn't the greatest thing for C and D to start together, but
> > it was a lovely pace, and I enjoyed it immensily. I'll do it again
> > without doubt.

> I hope it never happens to out C and D grades while I'm in D. I'd be
> sure to drop dead after a few laps!

Mass start graded races suck for the lower graded riders. It makes the
sole tactic "hang on to the higher grade". You're better off racing
against a bunch of 5, than sucking the wheel of a higher grade, IMO.
You'll learn more and you'll gain more from it. If you want to learn
to suck wheel, do some of the fast bunch rides. I hope it doesn't
happen to you either, Bean :)

It won't happen at Glenvale or Kew or Port Melb (St K) crits, but that
shouldn't dissuade you from supporting your own club's races, just
perhaps prompt you into encouraging a few more people you know to join
up and have a go, so you have more to race against and to make it a
better sport for everyone in your region.

Bleve wrote:

> Mass start graded races suck for the lower graded riders. It makes the
> sole tactic "hang on to the higher grade". You're better off racing
> against a bunch of 5, than sucking the wheel of a higher grade, IMO.
> You'll learn more and you'll gain more from it. If you want to learn
> to suck wheel, do some of the fast bunch rides. I hope it doesn't
> happen to you either, Bean :)

Luckily I think it'd be a miracle for us to drop down to numbers that
require C and D together any time soon. We've had ~30 riders in each of
C & D the last few weeks. D is quick enough at the minute thanks!
Intervals training with small bunches and fast bunch rides are certainly
the go. Hard to find the time to train is all.

--

Bleve said:
Mass start graded races suck for the lower graded riders. It makes the
sole tactic "hang on to the higher grade". You're better off racing
against a bunch of 5, than sucking the wheel of a higher grade, IMO.
You'll learn more and you'll gain more from it. If you want to learn
to suck wheel, do some of the fast bunch rides. I hope it doesn't
happen to you either, Bean :)

It won't happen at Glenvale or Kew or Port Melb (St K) crits, but that
shouldn't dissuade you from supporting your own club's races, just
perhaps prompt you into encouraging a few more people you know to join
up and have a go, so you have more to race against and to make it a
better sport for everyone in your region.

Yeah i've been learning to draft reaonably well in the North Road Rides - which I reckon are quite good value for me at the moment (Tuesday & Thursday 05:45am).

First race out, I wasn't really intending to place, I mean it was a goal in the back of my mind that if I was in the right place at the right time then I should just go for it. My initial goal was just to be able to finish and not 'crash' after reading so many horror stories like that on cyclingforums.com.

Fortunately I was in a good spot come the final corner and had enough of a sprint to get me home well. I think it would have been good if all the entrants were D Grade alone, but I don't think it would have changed my plan, being my first race and still being quite 'green' when it comes to racing.

parawolf wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
> >
> > Mass start graded races suck for the lower graded riders. It makes the
> > sole tactic "hang on to the higher grade". You're better off racing
> > against a bunch of 5, than sucking the wheel of a higher grade, IMO.
> > You'll learn more and you'll gain more from it. If you want to learn
> > to suck wheel, do some of the fast bunch rides. I hope it doesn't
> > happen to you either, Bean :)
> >
> > It won't happen at Glenvale or Kew or Port Melb (St K) crits, but that
> > shouldn't dissuade you from supporting your own club's races, just
> > perhaps prompt you into encouraging a few more people you know to join
> > up and have a go, so you have more to race against and to make it a
> > better sport for everyone in your region.

> Yeah i've been learning to draft reaonably well in the North Road Rides
> - which I reckon are quite good value for me at the moment (Tuesday &
> Thursday 05:45am).
>
> First race out, I wasn't really intending to place, I mean it was a
> goal in the back of my mind that if I was in the right place at the
> right time then I should just go for it. My initial goal was just to be
> able to finish and not 'crash' after reading so many horror stories like
> that on cyclingforums.com.

Wise. I'm not aware of any horror stories though? In my experience,
crashes are pretty rare, and bad ones very rare indeed.

> Fortunately I was in a good spot come the final corner and had enough
> of a sprint to get me home well. I think it would have been good if all
> the entrants were D Grade alone, but I don't think it would have changed
> my plan, being my first race and still being quite 'green' when it comes
> to racing.

Yep, and you did the right thing for you at the time, by the sound of
it.