RR Daniel's Creek Morning Ride

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by gabrielle, Jul 22, 2004.

  1. gabrielle

    gabrielle Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:44:17 -0700, justen wrote:

    > A short but gorgeous descent follows. Narrow single track, super tight
    > switchbacks, and a couple small drops. I endoed on the first switchback
    > last time I rode this trail, but made it through the whole top section
    > with only a dab this time. We emerge from the tight single track onto a
    > wider, faster trail. Up and down along the contour lines with a little
    > up, and a little down, and a little up.
    > http://myweb.cableone.net/justen/BBDanielsCreek008.jpg

    Nice legs. ;)

    gabrielle (if the guys can do it, *I* can do it.)

    Tags:

  2. justen

    justen Guest

    Expecting another warm day, a few of us decided to put in some miles
    before work. The ride started a few miles up Bogus Basin road at 3800',
    just after sunrise. Over the next hour, we climbed 2000' over 7 miles
    of pavement to the trailhead at an easy pace. We didn't have time to
    make the dirt climb. It's almost cheating, riding up the road.
    http://myweb.cableone.net/justen/BBDanielsCreek001.jpg

    Ahh, we reach the trailhead. Cue angel music.
    http://myweb.cableone.net/justen/BBDanielsCreek005.jpg

    A short but gorgeous descent follows. Narrow single track, super tight
    switchbacks, and a couple small drops. I endoed on the first switchback
    last time I rode this trail, but made it through the whole top section
    with only a dab this time. We emerge from the tight single track onto a
    wider, faster trail. Up and down along the contour lines with a little
    up, and a little down, and a little up.
    http://myweb.cableone.net/justen/BBDanielsCreek008.jpg

    And a little more up.
    http://myweb.cableone.net/justen/BBDanielsCreek009.jpg

    After some fast swoopy trails along the south side of Stack Rock, we
    once again get to the narrow singletrack.
    http://myweb.cableone.net/justen/BBDanielsCreek011.jpg

    Over the next 5 miles, we plunge about 2000 feet. In this picture, you
    can see the road we had climbed up, and a bit of Boise way in the back.
    And, of course, another shot of my ass.
    http://myweb.cableone.net/justen/BBDanielsCreek013.jpg

    For quite a bit of the time, the trail is tough to see. The sage brush
    is tight on either side of the trail, scraping legs and obscuring our
    view. We ride down steep, loose drops, in deep ruts, over large rocks,
    in an amazing display of singletrack variety. On the best parts of the
    trail, we were having too much fun to take many pictures. This is a
    grimace, not a smile. ;-)
    http://myweb.cableone.net/justen/BBDanielsCreek014.jpg

    After making it through a rock garden that shot our wheels around like
    pinballs, it was time for a rest near the bottom of our trip.
    http://myweb.cableone.net/justen/BBDanielsCreek018.jpg

    We climbed a few hundred feet back to Bogus Basin road, and our cars.
    The stats for the ride: 16 miles, 1h50m of riding, 2500' of vertical.

    Here's our route. We started at the southwestern point (you can see the
    road) and rode counterclockwise. The single track started at the
    northeastern point and continued back until our start.
    http://myweb.cableone.net/justen/BBDanielsPhoto20040722.jpg
    http://myweb.cableone.net/justen/BBDanielsTopo20040722.jpg

    There are various non-pavement routes to the trailhead, but we didn't
    have that much time this morning. We had the road pretty much to
    ourselves, passing one climbing roadie and one descending roadie. All
    in all, a nice way to start the day.

    justen

  3. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "justen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Expecting another warm day, a few of us decided to put in some miles
    > before work. The ride started a few miles up Bogus Basin road at 3800',
    > just after sunrise. Over the next hour, we climbed 2000' over 7 miles
    > of pavement to the trailhead at an easy pace.
    >
    > There are various non-pavement routes to the trailhead, but we didn't
    > have that much time this morning. We had the road pretty much to
    > ourselves, passing one climbing roadie and one descending roadie. All
    > in all, a nice way to start the day.
    >
    > justen

    Very cool stuff. How does tomorrow ~ 730 a.m. look like for a Stack Rock
    ride, or something similar high up? I though I'd emailed you, but later
    noticed that the address probably didn't go through =P

    I've done the dirt climb up Bogus before. Pretty brutal. Road is more
    efficient to get to the goods, anyway.

    Did an early one today, but the newb I took out got sick and we had to cut
    it short.

    We have to hook up eventually, anyway, so give me an email if you're avail
    for some guiding/riding spinnin/grinnin up there.

    brown law at quik dot com no c in quik

    Paladin

  4. Marty

    Marty Guest