RR: Danielson Ranch

Steve Petree

Guest
--------------080706030305040209070003 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

Around 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon, I started to run out of gas at work, figuratively speaking,
and headed out to the car. I had a 50+ mile commute ahead of me, but I felt just wasted. I have an
interesting job, but it doesn't give me any excercise. Instead of starting it up right away, I put
the seat back, started up the CD, (Vivaldi's Four Seasons), and tried to take a snooze. After
fifteen minutes I was still awake, but rested enough for the drive home.

During the drive I decided to take the bike out, although I was dog tired, just to get outside in
the fresh air. I had an errand to run, but when I got home, I changed into my bicycle togs, and
threw the bike into the back of the car, and headed over to the State Park.

I decided to do a short loop, just down to Danielson Ranch, and turn around. The weather was clear,
and cool, in the mid 60's, with a breeze coming on shore. It was late afternoon.

From the parking lot, there's a short uphill, through the National Park, to the state park
entrance, where there's a long downhill into Sycamore Canyon. The route is a paved fire road, with
some worn spots, so I knew it would be pretty easy, I also wanted to stop at a couple places, and
snap some photos.

Sycamore Canyon, especially the upper part, is pretty lush this time of year, with lots of flowers
on the side of the road, making the air fragrant. When I did stop, I could hear lots of birds
chirping, and a "whipper will".

Anyway, I had a nice easy coast down to Danielson Ranch, where the paved road ends, and turned
around for the climb back up to Rancho Sierra Vista, where I parked my car.

Because the ride was short, I expected to "clean" Hell Hill, two clicks out of my granny gear, which
I did, in good time, (for me), and headed back to the car, and home.

Ah! another ride complete!

BR Steve

--------------080706030305040209070003 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

started to run out of gas at work, figuratively speaking, and headed out to the car. I had a
50+ mile commute ahead of me, but I felt just wasted. I have an interesting job, but it
doesn't give me any excercise. Instead of starting it up right away, I put the seat back,
started up the CD, (Vivaldi's Four Seasons), and tried to take a snooze. After fifteen minutes
I was still awake, but rested enough for the drive home.<br> <br> During the drive I decided to take
the bike out, although I was dog tired, just to get outside in the fresh air. I had an errand
to run, but when I got home, I changed into my bicycle togs, and threw the bike into the back of the
car, and headed over to the State Park.<br> <br> I decided to do a short loop, just down to
Danielson Ranch, and turn around. The weather was clear, and cool, in the mid 60's, with a
breeze coming on shore. It was late afternoon.<br> <br> From the parking lot, there's a short
uphill, through the National Park, to the state park entrance, where there's a long downhill into
Sycamore Canyon. The route is a paved fire road, with some worn spots, so I knew it would be
pretty easy, I also wanted to stop at a couple places, and snap some photos.<br> <br> Sycamore
Canyon, especially the upper part, is pretty lush this time of year, with lots of flowers on the
side of the road, making the air fragrant. When I did stop, I could hear lots of birds
chirping, and a "whipper will".<br> <br> Anyway, I had a nice easy coast down to Danielson Ranch,
where the paved road ends, and turned around for the climb back up to Rancho Sierra Vista, where I
parked my car.<br> <br> Because the ride was short, I expected to "clean" Hell Hill, two clicks out
of my granny gear, which I did, in good time, (for me), and headed back to the car, and home.<br>

On Thu, 01 May 2003 07:50:10 -0700, Steve Petree wrote:

> Around 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon, I started to run out of gas at work, figuratively
> speaking, and headed out to the car. I had a 50+ mile commute ahead of me, but I felt just
> wasted. I have an interesting job, but it doesn't give me any excercise. Instead of starting it
> up right away, I put the seat back, started up the CD, (Vivaldi's Four Seasons), and tried to
> take a snooze. After fifteen minutes I was still awake, but rested enough for the drive home.
>
> During the drive I decided to take the bike out, although I was dog tired, just to get outside in
> the fresh air. I had an errand to run, but when I got home, I changed into my bicycle togs, and
> threw the bike into the back of the car, and headed over to the State Park.
>
> I decided to do a short loop, just down to Danielson Ranch, and turn around. The weather was
> clear, and cool, in the mid 60's, with a breeze coming on shore. It was late afternoon.
>
> From the parking lot, there's a short uphill, through the National Park, to the state park
> entrance, where there's a long downhill into Sycamore Canyon. The route is a paved fire road,
> with some worn spots, so I knew it would be pretty easy, I also wanted to stop at a couple
> places, and snap some photos.
>
> Sycamore Canyon, especially the upper part, is pretty lush this time of year, with lots of flowers
> on the side of the road, making the air fragrant. When I did stop, I could hear lots of birds
> chirping, and a "whipper will".
>
> Anyway, I had a nice easy coast down to Danielson Ranch, where the paved road ends, and turned
> around for the climb back up to Rancho Sierra Vista, where I parked my car.
>
> Because the ride was short, I expected to "clean" Hell Hill, two clicks out of my granny gear,
> which I did, in good time, (for me), and headed back to the car, and home.
>
> Ah! another ride complete!

Is this the same Sycamore Cyn and hell hill in Newbury Park, just off Wendy & Potrero?

-Bruce.

On Thu, 01 May 2003 07:50:10 -0700, Steve Petree wrote:

> out of gas at work, figuratively speaking, and headed out to the car. I had a 50+ mile
> commute ahead of me, but I felt just wasted. I have an interesting job, but it doesn't give
> me any excercise. Instead of starting it up right away, I put the seat back, started up the
> CD, (Vivaldi's Four Seasons), and tried to take a snooze. After fifteen minutes I was still
> awake, but rested enough for the drive home.<br>

Same situation here. Long commute, job that gives me a nice CRT tan. Sometimes it just about kills
me to get out the bike or strap on the skates or something...but it's always worth it and I'm always
glad I did.

Glad you had a nice ride.

gabrielle