RR: Deer Crossing at Twilight

Chris Brown

New Member
Mar 10, 2004
I visited a friend and her daughter at St. Lukes' Hospital downtown a block or two from some trailheads, and figured since I was already there, I sure oughta get a ride in. Perfect logic, huh? It had been a long time. This virtual mtnbiking with the trainer and dvds just wasn't feeding the need. So I Ieft our friends in pediatric around 3pm, itching more than a junky on a 3 day lockup.

Sunny, cold, clear.

Park at the abandoned school house on Reserve, changed clothes right there, complimentary mooning of my scrawny a$$ for anyone desperate enough to look at a naked doof pulling on bib tights in freezing weather. Then I notice a group of Boise Firemen working on some mechanical gizmo. Now then I miss my ole govt job where they'd pay me to lift weights, shoot guns, and take out the garbage. O well, I'm a pathetic office jockey now. Time to ride.

Organize the gear, set the alarm on the S.U.B. (sports utility beater). Always amazes people it has an alarm. Me too.

The Gray Lady singlespeed needs a lil juice from the CO2, pack the deep freeze gloves and extra jac onto the camelback, and awaaaay we go!

Tool around Military Reserve for about half an hour, climbing too hard, too soon. Rather ambitious given my age, the temperature and the grades I was tackling on the one-trick pony.

Eventually cut across to Shaw Mountain Road and tool it up to Tablerock. (The Freak might remeber the night we set up lawn chairs there with the koolaid glasses, but I digress.) This is a perfect spin on the singlespeed. Steep enough to hurt, but easy enough to keep from surrendering.

You locals will recognize this next spectacle, but as I'm about halfway up the dirt road portion of the climb, near the top, I'm thinking, "Brown, this is real tough, you oughta stop" and the other voice says, "keep pedalling your lazy a$$, you know you love it!" I look up to see 18 full grown deer crossing the track just 20 feet in front of me. Always a serene and beautiful sight. Loved it.

Get to the top, and the sunset is glorious. It's about 35 degf, windy and feelin good! Groovalicious! See some smiling hikers, and even a few riders up there.

Mark my territory by taking a truly manly whiz off the cliff and watch the arc float down to splash on the rocks waaay below.

Slam the seat down, growl, howl, and rock down the face. Catch up with the Old Pen trail, ride part of Quarry and Castlerock trail, Hot Springs trail, and pieces of several others. Do that one long climb that cuts up to the left, and then start running out of daylight (and gas). Boy that was fun to just get off the trainer and get out there and bust it up.

Commit to staying on dirt as much as possible, so I work my way over to a trail that runs under Shaw Mtn, and eventually spits me out halfway up Shaw Mtn. Turn on my helmet light (bright blue L.E.D.) Book it back to the S.U.B., stop for a gallon of cold water and two hot dogs. Then home to Mamma.

Life is good my friends.
__________________
Now remember boys and girls. Real men don't buy upgrades--they ride up grades. Paladin

Chris Brown wrote:
> [...]
> few riders up there.
>
> Mark my territory by taking a truly manly whiz off the cliff and
> watch the arc float down to splash on the rocks waaay below.
>
> Slam the seat down, growl, howl, and rock down the face. Catch up
> with the Old Pen trail, ride part of Quarry and Castlerock trail, Hot
> Springs trail, and pieces of several others. Do that one long climb
> that cuts up to the left, and then start running out of daylight (and
> gas). Boy that was fun to just get off the trainer and get out there
> and bust it up.
>
> Commit to staying on dirt as much as possible, so I work my way over
> to a trail that runs under Shaw Mtn, and eventually spits me out
> halfway up Shaw Mtn. Turn on my helmet light (bright blue L.E.D.)
> Book it back to the S.U.B., stop for a gallon of cold water and two

Bib tights?!?

Sorta like when I do a road ride in my Marzzochi sleeveless jersey.

Very nice RR, Mr. Paladin Sir...
--
BS (no, really)

news:[email protected]...

<snip all that ****>

> Bib tights?!?
>
> Sorta like when I do a road ride in my Marzzochi sleeveless jersey.
>
> Very nice RR, Mr. Paladin Sir...
> --
> BS (no, really)

"Mr.? Sir?" What's up? Do you owe me money or somethin? So now's its
spozed to rain or snow for 5 days. Back to Kranked and N/S Extreme movies.
Was I lucky or what?

Paladin

Paladin said:
"Mr.? Sir?" What's up? Do you owe me money or somethin? So now's its
spozed to rain or snow for 5 days. Back to Kranked and N/S Extreme movies.
Was I lucky or what?

Paladin

Very lucky indeed
I just checked your local weather... Yuck!
Lucky you!
Ahhh well It's the same here...

---> Jimbo(san)

"Jimbo (san)" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Paladin Wrote:
>>
>> "Mr.? Sir?" What's up? Do you owe me money or somethin? So now's
>> its
>> spozed to rain or snow for 5 days. Back to Kranked and N/S Extreme
>> movies.
>> Was I lucky or what?
>>
>> Paladin

> Very lucky indeed
> I just checked your local weather... Yuck!
> Lucky you!
> Ahhh well It's the same here...
>

> ---> Jimbo(san)
>

> --
> Jimbo(san)

Good to hear from you, Noe Yawk! And thanks for the inspiring email. Some
of the videos I've been watching have me thinking of you n Carla, what with
the amazing urban stuff going on. And I do a little road riding when the
trails are too soupy, so your efforts to draw me into the dark side haven't
been utterly wasted. Start planning on an even better trip out here next
year, OK? The Freak's gonna show for sure, and we'll have even more
*spectacular scenery*, as hard as that might be to conceive, eh? And
remember, "it's all downhill."

Paladin