RR: Dgrade Glenvale 17.4.05

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
After last week's 3rd i had been brewing all week to not make the same mistakes again (unseen escapee). Not wanting to get ahead of myself and just finish midfield again, I planned to break it up into mini-goals. 1-dont let anyone escape! 2-position correctly in last lap 3-get on good wheel and have good shot at sprint. Sounded so simple in the planning? What could go wrong :rolleyes:

Arrive, signup. Oh carp. forgotten licence! "He got third last week" Older guy pipes up. cheers.
"So your still gonna race Dgrade then? commisaire-y guy asks".
"Yeah, till i can figure out what's going on" :rolleyes: .
Roll round for awhile, chat to Hippy, some other aboc'ers too and Jazmo.
Gotta love his style, priorities in the right place (reference to car v bike :D ).
Get to start, get the speel and go. do the dumb 10min controlled start (WTF?) and then shortly after the first of the half dozen mini attacks start but add up to little. guys go off and get 30m ahead and we just watch em suffer. At approx 30min mark one guy goes, another jumps after him and my big Pinarello goes too. I sit on and byt the end of the back straight we are about half the straight in front! woohoo! a breakaway. Only ever seen em in higher grades and on TV. Where's the team car. wadda-we do now? :D. Oh yeah. take turns, hurt some. Jazmo comes past on the greenmachine-sandbagger's wheel and J is lookin shot.
Shortly after GT-man who got away on me last week gets across to us and announces loudly "and now we are 5!".
Good stuff. i look back and we still have a sizeable gap. This could work.
If we all work! which we dont, ery well. too many short turns and not enough of us 5 have enough juice to push it. We last 3-4 more laps and then we get caught. Oh well, time to hide and wheelsuck and save it up for the inevitable sprint.
Meanwhile Jazmo's breakaway had grown to 4 and it looked like they had it in the bag. Hippy was still to inspire a chase but alas, there would be post race steam again :rolleyes: (note the sandbagger went on to not only win Cgrade but ride strongly in Bgrade too!!!).
Dgrade get to '3-to-go' . Somehow i end up at the front as the frontrunners look for an easier ride :rolleyes: so i follow suit, soft pedal and drop back to 5-6th-ish behind 'MyPinarelloGuy' (MPG). Tthe pace is picking up slightly with a couple of feeble attempts to getaway but its all together.
One to go and Im feeling fresh. Goals 1+2 down now just get to that last corner in good possie and make it count!
On the 3rd last corner, guy i hadnt noticed before in allblack kit goes and gets a decent jump but Im guessin he cant last. "Dont panic". This is the point i have screwed it before! :rolleyes: The other havent been doin Carl's evil-up-hill sprints, right?
Another guy on orange Orbea (nice lookin bike fella!) goes but justmanages to drag us all back up to black-guy by the 2nd last corner. Someone 2 wheels ahead, and luckily a few metres ahead of 'MPG', scrapes the pedal stil ltrying to keep it spinning thru the corner. We all momentarilt baulk and realise we're all still upright, and now 'MPG' is 2nd entering the final corner and Im still allover his wheel.
Wait, wait, wait, dont blow it. Having already selsected gear short of last corner its now jut down to this or nothing.
We come out of the corner smoothly, 'MPG' hesitates a bit then starts to wind it up. Im so close to him that I just sit on, pushing a gear probably 3-4 bigger than i would normally sittng at this speed.
I cant wait any longer. we are only 50-75m out of corner and flying but i cant risk getting boxed in if someone passes on my right. Someone was already on my left but not going faster. I jump, and get a BIG kick form my big gear. I pass 'MPG' very quickly.
He shouts "FCKIT". Im thinkin he has done my trick of droppin the chain or screwda gearchange (later found out he just realised he was in too smaller gear and no time to react/change up). Im clear!
That's alot of open road. I havent even passed the signup table location yet!!
Gulp. Keep it going. Not yet really ontop of gear. Feeling good. Cant see any shadows on my sides. Cant look. Dont look!
Heyzooos! Im gonna win!!! am I?
I hear this hissing sound. realise its me sucking up any air on offer.
think people watching must think Im nuts. Put on the face of 'grrrrrrrrrr'.
Almost there... GOT IT!!!!!!!!!

um, did I?
there wasnt anyone up the raod was there? was the first thing i asked when GTMan pulls alongside and congratulates me. "Nope".
Coooooooooooooooooolll. D:D:D:D:D:D:D::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

So that's what it feels like when a plan comes together :rolleyes:

Carl come sup and takes a photo of me looking shagged, stunned, chuffed.

Stick about to watch Jazmo's inevitable placing and see him pip another guy in a long shoulder-to-shoulder sprint for 2nd. Sandbagger won, apparently.

Go and hand in my number to lady at table.
"I'll claim the win for D" i say.
"Well, third last week and a win today! Well done. Perhaps you can go and give C grade a go next week".

Gulp! I knew that was gonna be the case but it wasnt till i heard those words that it sunk in. Hippy and friends are gonna hand me my tail on a silver platter. Back to square one again (way back in Feb04).

1 - dont fall. 2 - finish. 3 - dont get dropped.
awwwww ****.
Still Im a grinnin idiot at the mo.

Perhaps i should retire whilst Im ahead? :D

F"Alajet-for-a-day"Dutch

PS BIG thanks to Hippy for telling me to have a go, Carl 'the' coach (especially for the mental/tactical-WTF-to-do-stuff) and 'MPG' for the leadout :D

flyingdutch wrote:

> Almost there... GOT IT!!!!!!!!!
>
> um, did I?
> there wasnt anyone up the raod was there? was the first thing i asked
> when GTMan pulls alongside and congratulates me. "Nope".
> Coooooooooooooooooolll. D:D:D:D:D:D:D::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
>
> So that's what it feels like when a plan comes together :rolleyes:

Congratulations! You saved the day!

Well done.

--
BrettS

flyingdutch said:
So that's what it feels like when a plan comes together :rolleyes:

Yessssss!!!!!!! :D :D :D

I think everyone felt this was gonna be your week, but it's still great to read the report. Nice one Dutch!!

When are the celebratory drinks?

Craigster.

craigster_jd said:
Yessssss!!!!!!! :D :D :D

I think everyone felt this was gonna be your week, but it's still great to read the report. Nice one Dutch!!

When are the celebratory drinks?

Craigster.

heheh. er, started without ya! :rolleyes:

coffee this week instead?

essendon93 said:
You legend Dutchy, King of D-Grade :D

sadly not 'of-the-hill'

does this mean i have to ride in Cgrade at Kew next time?
seems a bit out of kilter to me. is there some rule on this?

flyingdutch said:
sadly not 'of-the-hill'

does this mean i have to ride in Cgrade at Kew next time?
seems a bit out of kilter to me. is there some rule on this?

I don't think there is a rule on this, but people won't like you very much if you stay in D-grade and win "a little too often". Great result and a pretty good day out - well done!

Ritch

flyingdutch said:
sadly not 'of-the-hill'

does this mean i have to ride in Cgrade at Kew next time?
seems a bit out of kilter to me. is there some rule on this?
I don't think Hawthorn really care about that. But when you win at Kew, which you will this year, up to C-Grade with Gags, Jazmo and GP for you fella :D

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Go and hand in my number to lady at table.
> "I'll claim the win for D" i say.
> "Well, third last week and a win today! Well done. Perhaps you can go
> and give C grade a go next week".

Well done Dutch......great stuff.

Lindsay and I are thinking of rocking up next week and having a crack at D
grade.....I am keen to see what one of these crits without hills is like.
Out of interest, what do they sting you for the entry fee and how many
chicks rock up??

"I love the smell of chain lube in the morning......it smells
like...Victory!!!"

Psst....don't tell Lindsay that I put you onto this or she will kill me!!!!
(check the race diary report)

http://www.vicmtb.com.au/lindsay/profile.php

Ride On,

Gags

Very nice work FD - inspiration to us all (at least to me, anyway!!)

Don't know why you are so reticent to head up to C-grade, though??
Surely once you are in the top quartile of your group (ie D-grade), and
have had the pleasure of a win, you'd want to test yourself (and
improve) against better opposition...

And when it comes to bragging rights - "I'm in C-Grade" sounds MUCH
better than "I'm in D-grade, but I win heaps..."

Congrats again on the hard-earned win - and thanks for keeping us
posted on the 'journey'!!

Cheers,
Absent Husband

"flyingdutch" wrote

> think people watching must think Im nuts. Put on the face of
> 'grrrrrrrrrr'.
> Almost there... GOT IT!!!!!!!!!

Nice work dutch!!!

> Stick about to watch Jazmo's inevitable placing and see him pip another
> guy in a long shoulder-to-shoulder sprint for 2nd. Sandbagger won,
> apparently.

Onya Jaz!

> Go and hand in my number to lady at table.
> "I'll claim the win for D" i say.
> "Well, third last week and a win today! Well done. Perhaps you can go
> and give C grade a go next week".
>
> Gulp! I knew that was gonna be the case but it wasnt till i heard those
> words that it sunk in. Hippy and friends are gonna hand me my tail on a
> silver platter. Back to square one again (way back in Feb04).

Graduation day!

> Perhaps i should retire whilst Im ahead? :D

Worked for me this year at Kew ;) .. Looks like most of us are now in C..
time to start working on some TTTs at Kew.. that BR breakaway has to happen
one day!

cheers,
GPL

Gags said:
Well done Dutch......great stuff.

Lindsay and I are thinking of rocking up next week and having a crack at D
grade.....I am keen to see what one of these crits without hills is like.
Out of interest, what do they sting you for the entry fee and how many
chicks rock up??

"I love the smell of chain lube in the morning......it smells
like...Victory!!!"

Psst....don't tell Lindsay that I put you onto this or she will kill me!!!!
(check the race diary report)

http://www.vicmtb.com.au/lindsay/profile.php

Ride On,

Gags

'Hey uncle Dean' :D:D:D bwahahahahahah

C grade for you fella!
having won a Kew, youre way above a flat crit, seing as you can keep the gass TT'ing up pretty well. Might bring smaller/lighter/evil types like Ess93 honest tho (finally something i can possibly spank the bugger at?)

flyingdutch wrote:
> essendon93 Wrote:
>>You legend Dutchy, King of D-Grade :D

> sadly not 'of-the-hill'
> does this mean i have to ride in Cgrade at Kew next time?
> seems a bit out of kilter to me. is there some rule on this?

Yeah.. like the rule that B-graders shouldn't ride in C and stuff it up
for people like me? twice!

3 races to go before I leave the country and two of 'em are ruined by
that fn cheat.

Anyway.. gimme a week to cool down :)

Nice work FD and Jaz! See you in C next week.

hippy

hippy said:
Yeah.. like the rule that B-graders shouldn't ride in C and stuff it up
for people like me? twice!

3 races to go before I leave the country and two of 'em are ruined by
that fn cheat.

Anyway.. gimme a week to cool down :)

Nice work FD and Jaz! See you in C next week.

hippy

not that your bitter, or anything...

"memories..."
http://www.cyclebanter.com/q-t_59687-RR-METEC-C&D-Crit-Thu-26th-Feb-2004.html

your day has come, chief wheelsucka!

Congratulations Dutchy

You guessed right! I couldn't last but knew i'd get flogged in the sprint and wasn't going to die wondering.

(Guy in the Black Kit)

flyingdutch wrote:
> hippy Wrote:
>>Yeah.. like the rule that B-graders shouldn't ride in C and stuff it
>>up
>>for people like me? twice!
>>
>>3 races to go before I leave the country and two of 'em are ruined by
>>that fn cheat.
>>
>>Anyway.. gimme a week to cool down :)
>>
>>Nice work FD and Jaz! See you in C next week.

> not that your bitter, or anything...

No, not bitter, me? No.. of course not.

> "memories..."
> http://www.cyclebanter.com/q-t_59687-RR-METEC-C&D-Crit-Thu-26th-Feb-2004.html
> your day has come, chief wheelsucka!

hahaha I forgot about that.. that's a funny report! :D

Maybe next week I can do it at Glenvale? Problem is everyone else will
be hungry for a win too given that it's the last race of the season. If
another fsat B-grader steps down for easy money I may as well stay in bed.

hippy

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 23:41:33 +1000, hippy <[email protected]>
wrote:

>flyingdutch wrote:
>> essendon93 Wrote:
>>>You legend Dutchy, King of D-Grade :D

>> sadly not 'of-the-hill'
>> does this mean i have to ride in Cgrade at Kew next time?
>> seems a bit out of kilter to me. is there some rule on this?

>Yeah.. like the rule that B-graders shouldn't ride in C and stuff it up
>for people like me? twice!
>
>3 races to go before I leave the country and two of 'em are ruined by
>that fn cheat.

Sometimes you have to go with a break. You know what they
look like now :) And Dutchy will work for you in C grade!

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:24:26 +1000, ritcho
<[email protected]> wrote:

>flyingdutch Wrote:
>> sadly not 'of-the-hill'
>>
>> does this mean i have to ride in Cgrade at Kew next time?
>> seems a bit out of kilter to me. is there some rule on this?

>I don't think there is a rule on this, but people won't like you very
>much if you stay in D-grade and win "a little too often". Great result
>and a pretty good day out - well done!

The main thing about it is that you should ride your grade. If you
get bumped up to C (or B, or A ...) then that's your grade,
everywhere. The only exception being open events, where typically
you ride a grade lower than club/combine events.

I'm the only rider in the world slower up a hill than hippy, and I'll
be riding B all winter, in the hilly races too - I'll get dropped
and solo in for the remaining 80km (!) but will get payback
on the flat circuits.

Sandbagging is wrong, eh Hip?

Speaking of which, the eastern combine calender is out!