RR: Dog Dash with DeeDee 2004

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Dot, Oct 10, 2004.

  1. Dot

    Dot Guest

    RR: Dog Dash with DeeDee
    (Formerly Dog Dash for DeeDee)

    October 9, 2004
    http://www.adn.com/sports/story/5654902p-5586378c.html

    This race was to help a local cancer patient and was started 2 yrs ago
    to help DeeDee Jonrowe (a top female musher who also runs) when she was
    diagnosed with cancer 2 yrs ago. The race is put on by the Valley
    Women's Running Team of which DeeDee is a member. Dee Dee helps with the
    race as well as runs it now, which was great to see :) In other words,
    this race is "special" locally. So special, in fact, that the new
    outhouse at the trailhead was dedicated by one of the borough assembly
    people before the race start. (you have to see the old one to
    appreciate) This was one of those fun runs that got tv coverage because
    of the cause (DeeDee is super popular, and everybody loves dogs) as well
    as some local land-use issues. The race didn't have as much fanfare this
    time, but still had separate runs without/with dogs.

    Weather was about perfect for running: low 40's overcast with a breeze
    (5-10 mph) in the open starting area, but calmer on the trails with most
    of the breeze cooling you off at tops of hills (re-zipped shirt in the
    breezy areas). Rain had been forecast, but none occurred, and it had
    dried out enough from past rains, that the trail was almost perfect.
    Many fallen leaves covered the trail (ski trail so no real problem with
    leaves hiding roots and rocks), but some trees still had their golden
    yellow leaves. Duh, normal temperatures, good footing, what more could a
    runner ask for?

    These are some of the trails I run most often (about 15 min from my
    house and out-the-door from our lab connects with them also), so I knew
    what the finish looked like (uphill), although I couldn't remember the
    details of the course from last time. The route was partially backwards
    from the way I normally run to add some surprise. There was a lot more
    flat and far fewer hills (and smaller) than what I remembered. This may
    be an artifact of the fact that on short hill runs, I pick the hilliest
    routes - and this plus the people pointing directions probably is what
    accounted for faster race times than training times. This is the maze
    that I mention sometimes: 19 intersections in 3 miles.

    The race itself was fairly uneventful. It was the week after state hs xc
    state championships so the local hs kids took the front line. And even
    though there was lots more room for people in the front line, most
    people chose to line up behind them, and several fighting for the back
    of the pack. Run without dogs had 31 entrants.

    Anyway, I started at back, a couple older women were farther back and
    they had kids that sprinted for a very short distance then walked, then
    repeated that until they dropped back, never more to be seen after the
    first few minutes. I probably ran about 90% of the race alone - passed
    one guy on one hill and was closing on another woman on a later hill
    (probably approaching 2 miles). But I could tell by the way she was
    run/walking the hills and the space that would develop while I was on a
    hill and she was on a flat, she was doing it intelligently so I didn't
    attempt to go after the dying. If I hadn't been recovering from a head
    cold and huffing and puffing on the hill approaching the finish line, I
    might have caught her during a walk break, but she heard me and started
    running again. My afterburners didn't have much in them because of my cold.

    I did pass a mtn biker on the *down* hill ;) (Some congestion as the run
    with dogs was starting up hill that I was heading down, and there wasn't
    room for the mtn biker to get down, but I could slip past him and stay
    at edge easily. I excused myself when I went by. Hey, it's a race, I
    wasn't about to break momentum at that point.) I thought there might be
    a couple more steep hills, based on my perception of number of hills and
    time involved, but there wasn't.

    I finished in 37:07 (a PR, I guess since I've never run a 3 mi race
    before sans snowshoes; faster than I do a flat fartlek run of same
    distance), waited for other runners and the runers with dogs (started
    1/2 hr later) to finish, the raffle / awards, helped clean up, and then
    went for a recovery run to get at least 1 hr running for the day. The
    days with weather this nice are probably going to be few in the next
    several months so decided to take advantage of it, esp. since I had
    missed a day while travelling this week.

    Oh, yeah, and it's a lot easier running when you don't have 3 inches of
    slush ;) I think some of the hill work I've been doing has been paying
    off - nothing obviously sore today, not even knees after steep downhills.

    Thanks for reading.

    Dot

    --
    "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste
    away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

    Tags:

  2. A miracle. Thank you for posting such helpful and inspiring information.

    "
    "It drove her to tears," Janecek said. "Then everyone at the table went to
    tears. It was one of those waves of life we experienced."
    Janecek wants to continue dog dashes in the future.
    "We try to find somebody that needs help, but if we don't have someone
    absolutely identified, we'll deliver it to cancer research," he said."
    _______
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  3. << Thanks for reading.

    Dot

    --
    "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste
    away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog >>

    Thanks for writing. ;-)

    ~(@:>

    _______
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  4. Mel Rimmer

    Mel Rimmer Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Dot <[email protected]#duh?att.net> writes
    >Thanks for reading.
    >
    >Dot

    Thanks for posting. I think there's something wrong with me. You
    describe a hilly race in the low 40s and I thought "I wish I'd been
    there".
    --
    Mel Rimmer

  5. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Mel Rimmer wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Dot <[email protected]#duh?att.net> writes
    >
    >>Thanks for reading.
    >>
    >>Dot
    >>

    > Thanks for posting. I think there's something wrong with me. You
    > describe a hilly race in the low 40s and I thought "I wish I'd been
    > there".

    Hmmm, I'm not following. Why would you think there's something wrong
    with you if you want to run a hilly race in nice temperatures? Everybody
    at the race thought it was great, although I did hear that one of the xc
    guys was complaining about the hilliness (too much).

    Dot

    --
    "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste
    away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

  6. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Sounds like a fun race Dot, and congrats on your improved fitness. I wish
    there were more local shorter trail runs around here...

    - Tony

  7. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > Sounds like a fun race Dot, and congrats on your improved fitness.

    Thanks. Yea, the dogs are always fun to be around. It's a big party for
    them, and the winners get milk bones. The tv crew sure caught a couple
    good shots of people and dogs just plain having fun on the hills. I'm
    going to have to borrow somebody's dog next year, unless I run into
    another streak of race cancellations like I've had this past year.

    But for my running, I think a lot is just gaining confidence on the
    hills and running my own race.

    > I wish
    > there were more local shorter trail runs around here...

    Most of these short ones (4 mi and less) are only in their 1st couple
    years, and I think are gaining in popularity. Most are on xc ski trails
    in/near cities. The Anchorage races are better established and their
    Tues night xc race series (3-10k, course and distance announced at
    start) is supposed to be really fun with more runners (100+ in each
    league) than the couple I've done. I may still try to get to one of them
    this year, but highly unlikely because of time it takes to drive there.
    During the summer, the non-mountain trail races tend to be about 8 - 13
    miles, with one that's 18, and none less than 8 miles in our area, that
    I'm aware of. Next summer I'll probably try for 1 or 2 of those.

    Now I need to figure out how to train going forward since I won't have
    the field season interruptions that I've had in the past (maybe a couple
    weeks consulting, but that's all). Now it'll make some sense to do
    fartleks, etc.

    Dot

    --
    "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste
    away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

  8. << Thanks. Yea, the dogs are always fun to be around. It's a big party for
    them, and the winners get milk bones. >>

    Superkewl!

    << 'm
    going to have to borrow somebody's dog next year, >>

    Hm. Hope I can help
    By then...

    _______
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  9. "...everybody loves dogs." Apparentely, you've never been run down by a
    police dog, huh? I was charged with assaulting a police officer because
    I punched a police dog that was chewing on my leg. My defense was that
    if these dogs were indeed police officers, why were they allowed to crap
    outdoors? That was a long 3 months...

  10. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    "Miss Anne Thrope" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My defense was that
    > if these dogs were indeed police officers, why were they allowed to crap
    > outdoors?

    You mean you're not allowed to??

    Oops, I'm in deep doo doo......

    Tim

  11. TBR lives!

    TBR lives! Guest

    "Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > You mean you're not allowed to??

    > Oops, I'm in deep doo doo......
    >
    > Tim

    No Tim, here in america we frown on your practice of laying down under
    a glass table while your puppy craps on it. Unlike you english
    sickos...

  12. TBR lives!

    TBR lives! Guest

    [email protected] (Miss Anne Thrope) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "...everybody loves dogs." Apparentely, you've never been run down by a
    > police dog, huh? I was charged with assaulting a police officer because
    > I punched a police dog that was chewing on my leg. My defense was that
    > if these dogs were indeed police officers, why were they allowed to crap
    > outdoors? That was a long 3 months...

    And you told us you were on vacation. Shame on you Ann.