RR: Doherty Engineering Tour 06 - A Grade

gplama

Well-Known Member
May 16, 2004
7,822
Melbourne. Sometimes.
Here is my quick run down of events.

Stage 1 - Criterium
48kms, 1:04:45, 44.6km/h

"A timed event" on the CSV website means being told at the starting line "This tour is on points, top 10 get awarded points". A grade had 17-18 starters or so. A quick flat race with no major incidents. Late in the race we had to watch out for the C grader who took a dive. Coming over the line at around the 55min mark a rider sprinted over the line and threw his arms up, he 'claimed' the win... er... The rest of us looked around and collectively thought "wtf?". We rolled past him as he started yelling something about the chequered flag being shown. No '3 to go' yet buddy, keep riding! Then he did the same again next lap. Again, we kept rolling. My plan was to finish with the bunch so I sat on the back on the final corner (300-400m to go). Cranking away I had plenty of room on the outside so I cranked past a few and placed 7th. 8 points.

Stage 2 - Road Race
102kms, 2:50:20, 35.8km/h, 1305m ascent

I did a lap of the course in the car just to see how hilly it was. Yep, some hilly bits for sure. We were informed of "Double points for today" AFTER the stage had officially started. Fair enough, but hmmm. The plan was to still be with the bunch at the 1/2 way mark. Done. I did my share of things, even taking the first lap wombat points from Jono! Hilltop accelerations were the call of the day. I held onto four or so of these but on the fourth lap I was popped off the back at the very top of the 1km@9%er. I lasted 75kms. We had already shelled a number of riders, so I guessed there wasn't more than 10 riders ahead. A 27km ITT and I came over the line a few mins down in 9th place. 12 points. 5 or 6 of drink bottles used during the race, thanks to (my) Von who was handing these out to me. She was also helping a few other riders out with bottles.

Stage 3 - 1:20 ITT
Cycle2Max climb, 14:37

Setting a PB the other week up the 1:20 when I was soaking wet meant it shouldn't be hard to better that in the perfect conditions we had. I was looking for more points, it didn't matter what points, the goal was consistency! In B grade the climbers are sorted out very quickly once the road turns up (as I found out at the Mt William Classic). In A grade, everyone was strong enough that hills are not much bother. OK, this isn't entirely true, especially for the DNS entrants! :) 14:37. A PB by 22 seconds so I couldn't ask for more than that. 10th place. 1 point (I think?).

A great weekend overall. Lots of familiar faces from Mt William and from HCC. Thanks go to Tim at TopGear Cycles in Doncaster East who did a nice deal for me on a new kit for this weekend. No sponsorship to go with, but I was looking neater. I'll upload a few pics to the usual place in a day or so.

Lama

Sunday kinda set a whole new mental benchmark for me for what I now consider to be 'quick' up the 1/20...what a day it was...

Well, W Ford is a tiny little bugger (somewhere aroud 60kg maybe less:eek: ) with heaps of power therefore a gun climber and L Stewart ain't been riding for very long (under a year) and he's just got a lot of talent, you'll see he massacred B Grade at the Mt William Classic.

Both names to look out for

Oh, that guy who 3rd, I hear he's ok too;)

gplama wrote:
> Wombat points! http://tinyurl.com/ylu9ud
>
> ITT Lama! http://tinyurl.com/ygx5lt

What the hell are wombat points? I assume it's to do with working for
all the wheel suckers behind you. I was going to make a comment about
you not pushing enough air for it to be worth it, but then I saw the
bunch of skinny bastsrds behind you.

And you look very swish in your new kit, but if you're going to ride
A-grade I think you need flashier sunnies and more of a tan (otherwise
you look like you work for a living).

DaveB

DaveB said:
What the hell are wombat points? I assume it's to do with working for
all the wheel suckers behind you. I was going to make a comment about
you not pushing enough air for it to be worth it, but then I saw the
bunch of skinny bastsrds behind you.

And you look very swish in your new kit, but if you're going to ride
A-grade I think you need flashier sunnies and more of a tan (otherwise
you look like you work for a living).

Sprinting for any animal sign.. it started with cows, then roos, then horses, then wombats, then 'Garry Glitter points' (school crossing signs with a mum and a child). Wombats are rare, so are worth more points. Ghost wombat points are the ultimate! There is a triple point score up Mt Buffalo that has a roo, a lyer bird, and something else.. just a bit of fun on training rides, and they are more common than the traditional 'sprint for town sign'.

I'm working on the tan, and working on some official sponsored kit, maybe a new bike, not sure about the sunnies. Maybe I should go talk to Bono since he is in town.. :)

lama

For me the order of imprtance would be-
1) Dead animal sprint (If you see a rotting carcase by the road sprint like hell and beat everyone else there, then you must bunny hop the body)
2) Duck crossing (near Warbuton)
3) Lyre Bird (The Wall)
4) Ghost Wombat (a couple near monbulk)
5) Horse (En route to Clintons Road)
6) Wombat (All over the place but rare)
7) Cow (Most abundant on the Kiewa Valley Highway)
8) Kangaroo (Bloody everywhere)
9) Koala (have only seen them on the Hume, F**k riding on the Hume)

Jono L said:
1) Dead animal sprint (If you see a rotting carcase by the road sprint like hell and beat everyone else there, then you must bunny hop the body)

The hardest part is not gasping for air just as you hit the rotting stench!

Jono L wrote:

> 9) Koala (have only seen them on the Hume, F**k riding on the Hume)

Loads of these on the Melba & Maroondah Hwy's out towards Eildon.