RR: Don't shoot! We're just riding through...

Carla A-G

Guest
We decided to take a night fun trials ride through the neighbourhood. We're both still getting used
to the bikes. I have decided to concentrate my riding for now with the new Monty, I find it much
easier to handle compared to the stock trials bike. Jim has now taken possession of the stock trials
bike as his new ride.

We are starting off slowly, just getting the basics downpacked, hopping up on to stuff, hopping down
from stuff, working on the balancing moves and trackstands, etc., nothing dangerous or outrageous.

On the way home from sessioning the local school yards and apartment compounds, we made a turn into
the local police station parking lot to check out if there were any nice little obstacles to
conquer. As we were riding by the entrance door, an officer came out with a rather large shotgun and
a briefcase in his hands. "Oh ****, here we go" I thought to myself...

He stopped in his tracks and looked at us. "Can I help you with something?" he said as he looked at
us suspiciously. My eyes remained locked on his gun. I was just waiting for the moment when he would
use it for target practice on a couple of trials riders. "No sir, we're just riding through" said
Jim. "Okay, well, best be on your way, you're not supposed to be in here" said the gun toter. We
quickly pedalled away from the scene before it got ugly and went home.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

> We are starting off slowly, just getting the basics downpacked, hopping up on to stuff, hopping
> down from stuff, working on the balancing moves and trackstands, etc., nothing dangerous or
> outrageous.

Same here. Been at it for several weeks now but the improvement is noticeable every time I ride.
Still can't stay on just one wheel for more than a second or two.

I found that while riding the XC bikes, every time we stop at trail junctions for slower riders in
our group, I practice trackstands, rocking (which I'm finally getting pretty good at) and pivoting.
Now that I have the ss with a bashguard, I can practice getting onto obstacles without fear of
mashing my chainrings. I've found the ss to be a good bike to practice trials on, despite it's 20"
frame. (My Monty is 14" I think.)

I try some harrier stuff whenever I get the Monty outside... now that I finally got myself a good
set of shin pads. ;) (SIXSIXONE Knee/Shin pads. A little bulky, but not too cumbersome.)

--

FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
--

"Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> We decided to take a night fun trials ride through the neighbourhood. We're both still getting
> used to the bikes. I have decided to concentrate my riding for now with the new Monty, I find it
> much easier to handle compared to the stock trials bike. Jim has now taken possession of the stock
> trials bike as his new ride.
>
> We are starting off slowly, just getting the basics downpacked, hopping up on to stuff, hopping
> down from stuff, working on the balancing moves and trackstands, etc., nothing dangerous or
> outrageous.
>
> On the way home from sessioning the local school yards and apartment compounds, we made a turn
> into the local police station parking lot to check out if there were any nice little obstacles to
> conquer. As we were riding by the entrance door, an officer came out with a rather large shotgun
> and a briefcase in his hands. "Oh ****, here we go" I thought to myself...
>
> He stopped in his tracks and looked at us. "Can I help you with something?" he said as he looked
> at us suspiciously. My eyes remained locked on his gun. I was just waiting for the moment when he
> would use it for target practice on a couple of trials riders. "No sir, we're just riding through"
> said Jim. "Okay, well, best be on your way, you're not supposed to be in here" said the gun toter.
> We quickly pedalled away from the scene before it got ugly and went home.
>
> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Ah, yet another lovely reminder of no matter how much good most officers do in our communities, a
certain contingent will always give them an air of jackbooted thugs. /s

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 11:36:52 -0500, "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On the way home from sessioning the local school yards and apartment compounds, we made a turn into
>the local police station parking lot......

Not a smart move, live and learn. I hope you've learned from this incident.

>We quickly pedalled away from the scene before it got ugly and went home.

Very smart move, live and learn. I hope you've learned from this incident.

>- CA-G
>
>Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Nice new sig,

:-]

There's been more times than I can could when me and the guys (and girls) have been chased by cops
while riding the dirt bikes on some private property... One time while attending a race, we found an
amazing sand pit to ride in, had some nice drops for huckin too... So we decided to take the dirt
bikes there, as we hit 3rd or 4th gear tearing down the road (small town) a park ranger lit up the
cherries of his F-150 and took pursuit. I immediatly hit the first trail I could find... My friend
tried to push his bike through the dense bush and try to evade to ranger... Who are we kidding, this
guy is like Grizzly Adams, he'll find us no problem... So we come out with our bikes being pushed
from sheer adrenaline through the thickest tree's... It's dark now, so they've got the truck spot
light on us... They ended up giving us a 100.00 dollar ticket for riding on a provincial park... It
was kinda funny, the Ranger asked me for my serial number off my bike, so I gave him the wrong
one... Meh, that was the most I've been busted for from riding...

Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 11:36:52 -0500, "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >On the way home from sessioning the local school yards and apartment compounds, we made a turn
> >into the local police station parking lot......
>
> Not a smart move, live and learn. I hope you've learned from this incident.
>
> >We quickly pedalled away from the scene before it got ugly and went home.
>
> Very smart move, live and learn. I hope you've learned from this incident.
>

> >- CA-G
> >
> >Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
>
> Nice new sig,
>
> Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
> should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
> :-]

Last I heard, police station parking lots were public property, no?

/s

[email protected] (Reco Diver) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (supabonbon) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
> <snip>
>
> > Last I heard, police station parking lots were public property, no?
> >
> > /s
>
> Public property (land) should not be confused with public access.

So you're saying that a police station parking lot, which is public property, is not publicly
accessible? I can understand how, say, a room in the police station may be cut off from anybody who
wants to wander in. But i've never heard of being chased off of a municipal parking lot without a
reason. I think the cop was overzealous and overstepping. /s

"supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Public property (land) should not be confused with public access.
>
> So you're saying that a police station parking lot, which is public property, is not publicly
> accessible? I can understand how, say, a room in the police station may be cut off from anybody
> who wants to wander in. But i've never heard of being chased off of a municipal parking lot
> without a reason. I think the cop was overzealous and overstepping. /s

Plus, he was carrying a rather large shotgun, so he had the upper hand, so to speak...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

[email protected] (supabonbon) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Reco Diver) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (supabonbon) wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > Last I heard, police station parking lots were public property, no?
> > >
> > > /s
> >
> > Public property (land) should not be confused with public access.
>
> So you're saying that a police station parking lot, which is public property, is not publicly
> accessible? I can understand how, say, a room in the police station may be cut off from anybody
> who wants to wander in. But i've never heard of being chased off of a municipal parking lot
> without a reason.

I think you'll find that most law enforcement establishments have controlled access. This is
particularly true if it is a lot where patrol units are stored.

> I think the cop was overzealous and overstepping.

How so?

He asked "Can I help you with something?"

Jim says "No sir, we're just riding through"

He says "Okay, well, best be on your way, you're not supposed to be in here"

How is that overzealous?

"Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > Public property (land) should not be confused with public access.
> >
> > So you're saying that a police station parking lot, which is public property, is not publicly
> > accessible? I can understand how, say, a room in the police station may be cut off from anybody
> > who wants to wander in. But i've never heard of being chased off of a municipal parking lot
> > without a reason. I think the cop was overzealous and overstepping. /s
>
> Plus, he was carrying a rather large shotgun,

Unless it was evidence, it was some flavor of twelve gauge. Probably a pump. Probably one of these:

Remington Model 870 (most common ... most likely) Remington Model 1100 Tactical Remington Model
1187P Ithaca Model 37 M/P Winchester Defender Model 1300 Mossberg 590

The list of typical police issue shotguns in the U.S. is rather short, and they tend to be of
similar size.

> so he had the upper hand, so to speak...

Actually you two had the upper hand. (not sure why you'd want it)

1) He had not drawn down on you.

2)There were two of you.

3)It would be difficult to chamber a round with a breifcase in one hand.

Sounds more like you just came across a cop who was going on shift.

Now if he came out one hand'n an H&K CAWS .... (I know there is no need for a link for that
... for you).

> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Can-Am ... now those were interesting motorcycles

[email protected] (Reco Diver) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (supabonbon) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (Reco Diver) wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > > [email protected] (supabonbon) wrote in message
> > > news:<[email protected]>...
> > >
> > > <snip>

> > > Public property (land) should not be confused with public access.
> >
> > So you're saying that a police station parking lot, which is public property, is not publicly
> > accessible? I can understand how, say, a room in the police station may be cut off from anybody
> > who wants to wander in. But i've never heard of being chased off of a municipal parking lot
> > without a reason.
>
> I think you'll find that most law enforcement establishments have controlled access. This is
> particularly true if it is a lot where patrol units are stored.

I think you'll find that many are ignorant when it comes to law enforcement.

> > I think the cop was overzealous and overstepping.
>
> How so?
>
> He asked "Can I help you with something?"
>
> Jim says "No sir, we're just riding through"
>
> He says "Okay, well, best be on your way, you're not supposed to be in here"
>
> How is that overzealous?

It's not. Obviously Carla has not been around firearms much, so she was fixating on it.

You forgot the Ithaca Mag 10 Roadblocker.

JD

[email protected] (JD) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... <snip>
> You forgot the Ithaca Mag 10 Roadblocker.

No that might be threatening.

BTW I also left out the Jackhammer MK3-A2.... Anything that uses a 10 gauge 3 1/2 inch mag ... or
feeds from a drum, was off the list. Not that they are not out there, it's just that they are pretty
unlikely to be seen.

There are so many ugly firearms out there .... and so little time.

Reco

"Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Reco Diver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
> >
> > Can-Am ... now those were interesting motorcycles
>
> Not talking motos here, Can-Am = Canadian-American...

Thump! <sound of head bouncing off desk>

Yah ummm Can-Am = Canadian American

The motorcycles were originally produced by Bombardier in Canada for the American MX market. So even
in 1973 Can-Am = Canadian-American... Thought you would have gotten the reference ....

[email protected] (Reco Diver) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (JD) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>... <snip>
> > You forgot the Ithaca Mag 10 Roadblocker.
>
> No that might be threatening.
>
> BTW I also left out the Jackhammer MK3-A2.... Anything that uses a 10 gauge 3 1/2 inch mag ... or
> feeds from a drum, was off the list. Not that they are not out there, it's just that they are
> pretty unlikely to be seen.
>
> There are so many ugly firearms out there .... and so little time.

And then there's the Super 90.

JD

"Reco Diver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Not talking motos here, Can-Am = Canadian-American...
>
> Thump! <sound of head bouncing off desk>
>
> Yah ummm Can-Am = Canadian American
>
> The motorcycles were originally produced by Bombardier in Canada for the American MX market. So
> even in 1973 Can-Am = Canadian-American... Thought you would have gotten the reference ....

I was only born in 1973...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!