RR: Droppin' back at home (fairly short)

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jon Bond, May 18, 2003.

  1. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    Went for a fun ride today at the Res. Typical loop with some other stuff thrown in for fun. Taught
    my friend Jon (who's a really good rider, and in amazingly good shape) how to hop big logs a lot
    better - he just got clipless, so he's still learning what he can do. The ol' front wheel on - hop
    to rear wheel deal. So smooth. He picked it up fairly quickly, and used it a lot in the ride. Score.

    Anyway, still in a playing around mood, we come to a 2.5-3' drop-to-flat (Bigger than a front wheel
    by a significant amount, but didn't look quite 3' to me). Nice landing, if a bit short before you
    have to thread through trees and, and a smooth slightly uphill run-up. Sweet. Biggest drop I've done
    is about 2', give or take a bit. My friend went first, Popped out of his clipless mid air (yikes!)
    but still managed to land it. Lucky kid. We found out when we put his bike back on the car that he
    bent his saddle nose down - ouch! I went next, on the part that was closer to 2.5'. Sooooo smooth.
    We both went back up and did the drop that was closer to 3'. Jon landed pretty smoothly. I landed
    dead on, but my fork bottomed out pretty hard (hey, I've only got like 70mm of travel or less), and
    my bike made a loud crack noise. Inspected all the welds just in case, and there is a little
    scratch/crack in the paint that's on the top side of my left chainstay, right near my dropout weld.
    It looks like its just a paint scratch, but I'll keep my eye on it.

    Anyway, 10 or so miles, lots of technical stuff, playing around on ledges and log rides, hopping
    logs, lots of dry dusty stuff mixed in with occasional mud pits... all in all, a good ride.

    And my 3rd ride in 4 days (5th in 8 days) - the other two 10 or so miles down the ridge. I'll get
    some pictures there some point, there are some fun rock obstacles and a fantastic fast swoopy
    singletrack section I wish I had a helmet cam for.

    Jon Bond

    Tags:

  2. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Went for a fun ride today at the Res. Typical loop with some other stuff thrown in for fun.
    > Taught my friend Jon (who's a really good rider, and in amazingly good shape) how to hop big logs
    > a lot better - he just got clipless, so he's still learning what he can do. The ol' front wheel
    > on - hop to rear wheel deal. So smooth. He picked it up fairly quickly, and used it a lot in the
    > ride. Score.
    >
    > Anyway, still in a playing around mood, we come to a 2.5-3' drop-to-flat (Bigger than a front
    > wheel by a significant amount, but didn't look quite 3' to me). Nice landing, if a bit short
    > before you have to thread through trees and, and a smooth slightly uphill run-up. Sweet. Biggest
    > drop I've done is about 2', give or take a bit. My friend went first, Popped out of his clipless
    > mid air (yikes!) but still managed to land it. Lucky kid. We found out when we put his bike back
    > on the car that he bent his saddle nose down - ouch! I went next, on the part that was closer to
    > 2.5'. Sooooo smooth. We both went back up and did the drop that was closer to 3'. Jon landed
    > pretty smoothly. I landed dead on, but my fork bottomed out pretty hard (hey, I've only got like
    > 70mm of travel or less), and my bike made a loud crack noise. Inspected all the welds just in
    > case, and there is a little scratch/crack in the paint that's on the top side of my left
    > chainstay, right near my dropout weld. It looks like its just a paint scratch, but I'll keep my
    > eye on it.
    >
    > Anyway, 10 or so miles, lots of technical stuff, playing around on ledges and log rides, hopping
    > logs, lots of dry dusty stuff mixed in with occasional mud pits... all in all, a good ride.
    >
    > And my 3rd ride in 4 days (5th in 8 days) - the other two 10 or so miles down the ridge. I'll get
    > some pictures there some point, there are some fun rock obstacles and a fantastic fast swoopy
    > singletrack section I wish I had a helmet cam for.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Your friend was lucky he didn't wind up like our pal, the Spademan. I've come out of my pedals on
    jumps and smaller drops and scraped the heck out of my shins.

    So is there a progress report on the Blur???

    Paladin

  3. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Went for a fun ride today at the Res. Typical loop with some other
    stuff
    > > thrown in for fun. Taught my friend Jon (who's a really good rider, and
    in
    > > amazingly good shape) how to hop big logs a lot better - he just got clipless, so he's still
    > > learning what he can do. The ol' front wheel
    on -
    > > hop to rear wheel deal. So smooth. He picked it up fairly quickly, and used it a lot in the
    > > ride. Score.
    > >
    > > Anyway, still in a playing around mood, we come to a 2.5-3' drop-to-flat (Bigger than a front
    > > wheel by a significant amount, but didn't look
    quite 3'
    > > to me). Nice landing, if a bit short before you have to thread through trees and, and a smooth
    > > slightly uphill run-up. Sweet. Biggest drop
    I've
    > > done is about 2', give or take a bit. My friend went first, Popped out
    of
    > > his clipless mid air (yikes!) but still managed to land it. Lucky kid.
    We
    > > found out when we put his bike back on the car that he bent his saddle
    nose
    > > down - ouch! I went next, on the part that was closer to 2.5'. Sooooo smooth. We both went back
    > > up and did the drop that was closer to 3'.
    Jon
    > > landed pretty smoothly. I landed dead on, but my fork bottomed out
    pretty
    > > hard (hey, I've only got like 70mm of travel or less), and my bike made
    > > loud crack noise. Inspected all the welds just in case, and there is a little scratch/crack in
    > > the paint that's on the top side of my left chainstay, right near my dropout weld. It looks like
    > > its just a paint scratch, but I'll keep my eye on it.
    > >
    > > Anyway, 10 or so miles, lots of technical stuff, playing around on
    ledges
    > > and log rides, hopping logs, lots of dry dusty stuff mixed in with occasional mud pits... all in
    > > all, a good ride.
    > >
    > > And my 3rd ride in 4 days (5th in 8 days) - the other two 10 or so miles down the ridge. I'll
    > > get some pictures there some point, there are some
    fun
    > > rock obstacles and a fantastic fast swoopy singletrack section I wish I
    had
    > > a helmet cam for.
    > >
    > > Jon Bond
    >

    > Your friend was lucky he didn't wind up like our pal, the Spademan. I've come out of my pedals on
    > jumps and smaller drops and scraped the heck out of my shins.
    >
    > So is there a progress report on the Blur???
    >
    > Paladin

    Same state. Haven't heard back from coach - last I know, he was driving back from california and the
    collegiate cycling national championships. I'm going to call him tomorrow and see if he's finally
    made it back, make a trip up to boston, get the parts, and install everything I can. I need to get a
    new BB and FD because I got them in sizes to fit my current bike, but I figure I can probably trade
    them out at my LBS without too much trouble.

    Jon Bond