RR: Eagle's Nest Pics, Cascade Idaho...!

Paladin

Guest
First real out-town-epic for the summer, and was it amazing! Yours
truly, the grizzled old Paladin was even nervous, as I haven't done
any really hard, long rides this summer, yet alone anything over 7,000'
of elevation. Check the book, no comfort there, as they rate this
hombre as an "expert ride." I figgerd if I survived it, I'd have
bragging rights. With my dog, at least... o well.

But read on sports fans, and for those who read magazines only for the
pictures, well, we have lots of those cited below, too.

5:30a.m. came early, but I popped out of the sack like a slice of toast
at a busy Denny's. Happy as a hog in sh!te, boppin around the ole
double-wide, gettin ready.

Up and load the Reverend Titus, haul over to Alex's hacienda, meet
G-Man, load his new Enduro Pro into Alex's pickup.

Meet FlipnIdaho and Rock-n-Roll Barbie at the Chevron on the edge of
civilization. These young folks are starting a 5-day road trip where
they'd be riding the best of Idaho, morning, noon and night. Tough
gig, but somebody's gotta do it. I guess it helps if you're a
*professional* mtnbiker, and get paid to do this stuff, eh, Flip, you
lucky dog!

http://www.alext.info/gallery/Eagles-Nest-July-06/11_G

Before pulling out, I look on the ground by the truck, and there's this
big grocery bag, so I say, "wait!" and I grab it, throw it on the floor
of the cab, and say, let's go! Alex says, "what the h### is that?!" I
say, whaddya mean, it's your bag that fell out of the truck, ain't it?
No! he says, so he pitches this filthy, leaking bag and then gingerly
carries it to a dumpster. GMan & I are laughing our AO, but I'm
feeling a little guilty about that unintentional stunt. Still chuckle
to think about it. We laugh like idiots for awhile, and away we go...

My own pics are posted here:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=204563

But I digress. We caravan up to the town of Cascade, see the brave
kayakers bouncing their way over some really tough whitewater. Well,
some of it's the toughest in the world.

Get a little lost looking for the trailhead, call Adam who lives there,
and he gets us dialed in. We memorize his directions just as a local
couple stops by to ride Eagle's Nest, and they're of course gracious
enough to show us the goods.

Starts with about 8 miles of fairly easy fire road climbing. Most of it
was fairly easy except for not breathing due to elevation. We'll gain
about 3,000 feet before doing over 10mi of continuous, wonderful,
interesting, challenging singletrack that had it all!

Here I am at about an hour into our climb, taking Flip and Barbie's
picture:
http://www.alext.info/gallery/Eagles-Nest-July-06/1_G

The pro critiquing my fire-road climbing technique ;) he's smiling, I'm
not, since he can climb like a monkey all day, and me, well, maybe half
a day....:)
http://www.alext.info/gallery/Eagles-Nest-July-06/10_G

Our local hostess-guide, who was really outriding her boyfriend.
Strong girls of the world, unite!
http://www.alext.info/gallery/Eagles-Nest-July-06/5_G

The Paladin, Flip & Barbie (looking a little goofy)
http://www.alext.info/gallery/Eagles-Nest-July-06/2_G

About 3,000' feet up by now, and the views are glorious on both sides:
http://www.alext.info/gallery/Eagles-Nest-July-06/7_G

GMan took this one, and aptly titled it:
http://geeman.freeshell.org/gallery/EaglesNest/ChrisLovinItPan

Another of Alex's shots. Nothing to see here folks, just move along:
http://www.alext.info/gallery/Eagles-Nest-July-06/8_G
http://www.alext.info/gallery/Eagles-Nest-July-06/4_G
http://www.alext.info/gallery/Eagles-Nest-July-06/9_G

GMan getting some air! Wish I could find a way to upload the video, it
was really cool:
http://geeman.freeshell.org/gallery/EaglesNest/GmanJump

Alex coming through some rocks:
http://geeman.freeshell.org/gallery/EaglesNest/IMG_0022

Some stupid grinning fool we found on the trail
http://geeman.freeshell.org/gallery/EaglesNest/IMG_0027

The Rev hauling the old guy outta there!
http://geeman.freeshell.org/gallery/EaglesNest/IMG_0032

I'm doing about 20-25 right here, and being in the lead (how did that
happen?), get surprised by THE TRAIL DISAPPEARING OUT FROM UNDER ME!
Nothing but sky and huge drop before me. I barely notice a hidden,
hairpin switchback down to the right. YEEEEHAAA!! I'M GONNA DIE, I
KNOW I'M GONNA DIE!. The exposure is 300 feet almost straight down to
rocks, but somehow, knowing God protects idiots and children, I'm
sliding, praying and screaming around the switchback and shoot out the
bottom side, still upright, hardly slowed down a bit. How'd that
happen!? Gman wasn't quite that lucky, since he hit it even hotter
than I did, and brought home a good, bloody souvenir to show the
wife...

Yowza, baby!

Rock-n-Roll Barbie jra: nothing fazed her. She cleaned it all, up,
down, rocks, you name it. What a gal
http://geeman.freeshell.org/gallery/EaglesNest/IMG_0033

Her boyfriend, the pro: flipnIdaho
http://geeman.freeshell.org/gallery/EaglesNest/IMG_0034

About 3 miles from the end, Flip gets this concerned look on his face,
and says something like, "I better check on my baby..." and he shoots
off like he was fired out of a cannon, whipping through the singletrack
on the way to his other girl, Lua, a beautiful Viszla.

Barbie again:
http://geeman.freeshell.org/gallery/EaglesNest/IMG_0035

The old doof on the peacock bike. How does he stay upright, anyway?
http://geeman.freeshell.org/gallery/EaglesNest/IMG_0036
http://geeman.freeshell.org/gallery/EaglesNest/IMG_0021

Not breathing hard:
http://geeman.freeshell.org/gallery/EaglesNest/IMG_0037

Alex, the least presuming mtnbiker you'll ever meet. A computer geek
that looks like a good breeze would knock him over, but don't judge a
book by its cover: he's a retired combat pilot, soccer star, volunteer
deputy sheriff, and occasional mtnbiker. His motto, if the pedals turn
on the bike, that's good enough for me.
http://geeman.freeshell.org/gallery/EaglesNest/IMG_0038

What a great finish to an epic ride:
http://geeman.freeshell.org/gallery/EaglesNest/CascadeMeadowPan

That ain't coffee in the insulated cup... the end of the line:
http://geeman.freeshell.org/gallery/EaglesNest/IMG_0059
http://geeman.freeshell.org/gallery/EaglesNest/IMG_0014

So that's about it. Just another day in paradise. Thanks for the use
of your pics, GMan and Alex...

CDB

Paladin wrote:
> First real out-town-epic for the summer, and was it amazing! Yours
> truly, the grizzled old Paladin was even nervous, as I haven't done
> any really hard, long rides this summer, yet alone anything over 7,000'
> of elevation. Check the book, no comfort there, as they rate this
> hombre as an "expert ride." I figgerd if I survived it, I'd have
> bragging rights. With my dog, at least... o well.

<SNIPPY>

> So that's about it. Just another day in paradise. Thanks for the use
> of your pics, GMan and Alex...
>
> CDB

Great stuff! I want to see pics of the switchback from hell. :(

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 16:42:46 -0700, Paladin wrote:

> I figgerd if I survived it, I'd have bragging rights. With my
> dog, at least... o well.

You can brag to me! ;)

> GMan getting some air! Wish I could find a way to upload the video, it
> was really cool:
> http://geeman.freeshell.org/gallery/EaglesNest/GmanJump

I take it there was no accompanying "whsssssssssssh" sound after that one,
eh.

> I'm doing about 20-25 right here, and being in the lead (how did that
> happen?), get surprised by THE TRAIL DISAPPEARING OUT FROM UNDER ME!
> Nothing but sky and huge drop before me. I barely notice a hidden,
> hairpin switchback down to the right. YEEEEHAAA!! I'M GONNA DIE, I KNOW
> I'M GONNA DIE!. The exposure is 300 feet almost straight down to
> rocks, but somehow, knowing God protects idiots and children, I'm
> sliding, praying and screaming around the switchback and shoot out the
> bottom side, still upright, hardly slowed down a bit. How'd that
> happen!?

Rock & roll, man!

Gman wasn't quite that lucky, since he hit it even hotter
> than I did, and brought home a good, bloody souvenir to show the wife...

And no photos of that? I got bitten by a couple of switchbacks today
myself...but I saw 'em coming, got no excuse.

Sweet RR, Paladin.

gabrielle

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Paladin wrote:
> > First real out-town-epic for the summer, and was it amazing! Yours
> > truly, the grizzled old Paladin was even nervous, as I haven't done
> > any really hard, long rides this summer, yet alone anything over 7,000'
> > of elevation. Check the book, no comfort there, as they rate this
> > hombre as an "expert ride." I figgerd if I survived it, I'd have
> > bragging rights. With my dog, at least... o well.

> <SNIPPY>
> >
> > So that's about it. Just another day in paradise. Thanks for the use
> > of your pics, GMan and Alex...
> >
> > CDB
> >

> Great stuff! I want to see pics of the switchback from hell. :(
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

Yeah, that was a cute trap for the out-of-towners, for sure! I'm sure
the trail designers got a good laugh out of that when they built it.
Glad the owwies weren't any more than GMan's bloody leg.

CDB

gabrielle wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 16:42:46 -0700, Paladin wrote:
>
> > I figgerd if I survived it, I'd have bragging rights. With my
> > dog, at least... o well.

> You can brag to me! ;)
>
> > GMan getting some air! Wish I could find a way to upload the video, it
> > was really cool:
> > http://geeman.freeshell.org/gallery/EaglesNest/GmanJump

> I take it there was no accompanying "whsssssssssssh" sound after that one,
> eh.
>
> > I'm doing about 20-25 right here, and being in the lead (how did that
> > happen?), get surprised by THE TRAIL DISAPPEARING OUT FROM UNDER ME!
> > Nothing but sky and huge drop before me. I barely notice a hidden,
> > hairpin switchback down to the right. YEEEEHAAA!! I'M GONNA DIE, I KNOW
> > I'M GONNA DIE!. The exposure is 300 feet almost straight down to
> > rocks, but somehow, knowing God protects idiots and children, I'm
> > sliding, praying and screaming around the switchback and shoot out the
> > bottom side, still upright, hardly slowed down a bit. How'd that
> > happen!?

> Rock & roll, man!
>
> Gman wasn't quite that lucky, since he hit it even hotter
> > than I did, and brought home a good, bloody souvenir to show the wife...

> And no photos of that? I got bitten by a couple of switchbacks today
> myself...but I saw 'em coming, got no excuse.
>
> Sweet RR, Paladin.
>
> gabrielle

Hey girl, we sure missed you and the leopard print jersey on this ride.
Well, that and the raspberry brownies and all the other signature
goodies.., etc., etc. Food at the midday was prett boring with trail
mix and power bars...

And while I was tending to the important things, like opening beers
after the ride, I saw Alex taking about 6 pics of GMan's leg. Why they
didn't make it to his album, I don't know.

And btw, there are lots more pictures coming, if you keep your eyes
peeled on the mtbr link, where Flip & Barbie will probably be posting
in the evenings after their rides.

CDB

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 17:12:33 -0700, gabrielle <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 16:42:46 -0700, Paladin wrote:
> Gman wasn't quite that lucky, since he hit it even hotter
>> than I did, and brought home a good, bloody souvenir to show the wife...

> And no photos of that? I got bitten by a couple of switchbacks today
> myself...but I saw 'em coming, got no excuse.

Forgot to add it:
http://geeman.freeshell.org/gallery/EaglesNest/IMG_0057

Gman wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 17:12:33 -0700, gabrielle <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 16:42:46 -0700, Paladin wrote:
> > Gman wasn't quite that lucky, since he hit it even hotter
> >> than I did, and brought home a good, bloody souvenir to show the wife...

> > And no photos of that? I got bitten by a couple of switchbacks today
> > myself...but I saw 'em coming, got no excuse.

> Forgot to add it:
> http://geeman.freeshell.org/gallery/EaglesNest/IMG_0057

Man, that hurts just seeing it again! How'd it feel to hit the hot tub
last night??

CDB

"Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 17:12:33 -0700, gabrielle <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 16:42:46 -0700, Paladin wrote:
>> Gman wasn't quite that lucky, since he hit it even hotter
>>> than I did, and brought home a good, bloody souvenir to show the wife...

>> And no photos of that? I got bitten by a couple of switchbacks today
>> myself...but I saw 'em coming, got no excuse.

> Forgot to add it:
> http://geeman.freeshell.org/gallery/EaglesNest/IMG_0057

Do I have to login to see Gman's pics?

Penny

small change wrote:
> "Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 17:12:33 -0700, gabrielle <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 16:42:46 -0700, Paladin wrote:
>>> Gman wasn't quite that lucky, since he hit it even hotter

>>>And no photos of that? I got bitten by a couple of switchbacks today
>>>myself...but I saw 'em coming, got no excuse.

>>Forgot to add it:
>>http://geeman.freeshell.org/gallery/EaglesNest/IMG_0057

> Do I have to login to see Gman's pics?
>
> Penny

No, that particular link is broken. All the others in the original post
work.

Love that air GMan!

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

G.T. wrote:
> small change wrote:
>
>> "Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Forgot to add it:
>>> http://geeman.freeshell.org/gallery/EaglesNest/IMG_0057

>> Do I have to login to see Gman's pics?
>>
>> Penny

> No, that particular link is broken. All the others in the original post
> work.

Or I should say worked. They ain't working today.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Waking to the sound of laughter

> Or I should say worked. They ain't working today.
>
> Greg

yep, I thought I'd tried several.
No matter, I may be hitting that trail meself in a few weeks.

P.

Paladin wrote:
> First real out-town-epic for the summer, and was it amazing! Yours
> truly, the grizzled old Paladin was even nervous, as I haven't done
> any really hard, long rides this summer, yet alone anything over 7,000'
> of elevation. Check the book, no comfort there, as they rate this
> hombre as an "expert ride." I figgerd if I survived it, I'd have
> bragging rights. With my dog, at least... o well.

<snip>

Awesome!

I have to say I REALLY like this photo, spectacular "scenery":
<http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=178143&stc=1&d=1151842710>
:)

Matt

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 10:07:13 -0700, small change <[email protected]> wrote:

> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Or I should say worked. They ain't working today.
>> Greg

> yep, I thought I'd tried several.
> No matter, I may be hitting that trail meself in a few weeks.
>
> P.

Looks like Chris' post efficiently helped me to exceed my
quota. It will reset at about 1800 MDT.

Sorry, I'm a cheap b@stard and don't have much of a web
site.

Gman wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 10:07:13 -0700, small change <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> Or I should say worked. They ain't working today.
> >> Greg

> > yep, I thought I'd tried several.
> > No matter, I may be hitting that trail meself in a few weeks.
> >
> > P.

> Looks like Chris' post efficiently helped me to exceed my
> quota. It will reset at about 1800 MDT.
>
> Sorry, I'm a cheap b@stard and don't have much of a web
> site.

I'm sorry, but you not only rode like a champ, but your pictures were
terrific! I shoulda asked first, so beer's on me next time (not that
I'd ever refuse to buy, in any case...)

CDB

On 3 Jul 2006 18:47:52 -0700, Paladin <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm sorry, but you not only rode like a champ, but your pictures were
> terrific! I shoulda asked first, so beer's on me next time (not that
> I'd ever refuse to buy, in any case...)
>
> CDB

No prob my man...but I will still let you buy me beer! :)

Met another mtbn' hombre in my neighborhood and he wants to
hit some of the upper mountain trails (Stack Rock, etc.)
with us.

On 3 Jul 2006 18:47:52 -0700, Paladin <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm sorry, but you not only rode like a champ, but your pictures were
> terrific! I shoulda asked first, so beer's on me next time (not that
> I'd ever refuse to buy, in any case...)

Damn! I got quota'd AGAIN. OK, now you do owe me beer. :)

Gman wrote:
> On 3 Jul 2006 18:47:52 -0700, Paladin <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I'm sorry, but you not only rode like a champ, but your pictures were
> > terrific! I shoulda asked first, so beer's on me next time (not that
> > I'd ever refuse to buy, in any case...)
> >
> > CDB

> No prob my man...but I will still let you buy me beer! :)
>
> Met another mtbn' hombre in my neighborhood and he wants to
> hit some of the upper mountain trails (Stack Rock, etc.)
> with us.

Good! What I propose, is wait for the A-Team to reassemble, and we'll
grab Parker, Alex & your group, invite Flip & Barbie. I know if I took
my Thurs nt beginner group up there (like I'd been planning) it would
be a disaster, what with riding above 6k, the switchbacks to "Entrance
Exam" and the fairly gnarly climbs.

Very cool trail, though, because it's not just a long uphill followed
by a corresponding downhill. Lotsa variety and 50-mile views both
ways.

CDB