RR: first ride of the season

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Technician, Apr 20, 2003.

  1. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Ok, so maybe this ride was nothing compared to others first rides, but i thought i would share
    it anyway.

    I decided to use my car to transport my bike to the trailhead so i could bring a small ratchet set
    in case the unexpected happened.

    Before i even got to unstrap my bike from the carrier, i was ambushed by a environmentalist church
    group. The group leader did not hesitate to point out the damage a mountain bike does to trails. At
    this point, i noticed about 15 kids from the group out stomping in a semi-damp spot turning it into
    a muddy mess. After pointing this out, and explaining that unlike some of the careless teenagers i
    have seen on the trails last year, i find a way to do my best not to leave too much of an impression
    (including walking around the really wet spots if needed). As this seemed to satisfy him, i mounted
    my semi-trusted steed and began my ride. I didn't happen to ask if he was a famous herpetologist.

    After about 1/8 of a mile, a remembered i should have drank some water before the ride, as i seem to
    have left my water bottle to home (had just a small after-the-ride bottle in the car that i had no
    means to carry it. i did remember my AMB headband though). after the long climb up the shallow hill
    (pathetically, only about .25 miles), i reached where i thought the bike-specific trail was. but it
    was nowhere to be found. baffled, i decided to continue on. after a little while, i managed to start
    to remember the surroundings and knew the trail was just ahead. as i reached the trail intersection,
    i stopped for a mild break to try and put the fire out in my lungs.

    Recovered, i shifted into the gear i use for this trail (simply a good all-around gear for both
    downhill, uphill, and flats so i can concentrate on the uneven ground). The trail was just as i
    remembered
    it. it was even dry as a bone, other than a small 8" X 6" patch of snow. I glided over the terrain
    with the same ease i remember from last year. thoughts only on the terrain in front, and on what
    lies ahead. i feel no pain, no lung weakness, just the joy of riding again.

    But alas, the trail rejoined the walking trails (covered with an energy sapping bark). i make it to
    another familiar section known for its slow, but thrilling downhill. I roll down with effortless
    grace. carving every turn, soaking up every root. but the, the trail has suddenly left me. ahh yes,
    there was a turn back there. guess i didn't remember it precisely enough. no bother, the trail
    turns back in another 5 feet, and the ground was dry enough i left no trace apart from a few
    disturbed leaves. after rejoining with the trail, i glided down the rest of the trail, though a
    little slower should i miss a turn again. Arriving back at the car, i suddenly am reminded of my
    out of shape lungs as i strap the bike back on and jump in to fire up the AC while draining the
    small bottle of water.

    Overall, i rate this ride fairly well in that i was able to completely forget all around me and
    focus only on the trail ahead (and the occasional red squirrel that scampered off the trail).

    My legs did not seem to complain much, at least i didn't notice them apart from my lungs burning.
    but within a few more rides, i should have a little more endurance built up.

    ~Travis
    --
    To reply by email, remove clothes.

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

  2. Mtbguy

    Mtbguy Guest

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 18:26:03 -0400, Technician <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
    >turns back in another 5 feet, and the ground was dry enough i left no trace apart from a few
    >disturbed leaves. after rejoining with the trail, i glided down the rest of the trail, though a
    >little slower should i miss a turn again. Arriving back at the car, i suddenly am reminded of my
    >out of shape lungs as i strap the bike back on and jump in to fire up the AC while draining the
    >small bottle of water.
    >
    >Overall, i rate this ride fairly well in that i was able to completely forget all around me and
    >focus only on the trail ahead (and the occasional red squirrel that scampered off the trail).
    >
    >My legs did not seem to complain much, at least i didn't notice them apart from my lungs burning.
    >but within a few more rides, i should have a little more endurance built up.

    By your encounter with the evangelical sect, you must be riding in Tenn or Georgia

  3. Technician

    Technician Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]ca says...

    nope, Maine

    ~Travis