RR First Ride Post Op

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Tcmedara, Apr 9, 2004.

  1. Tcmedara

    Tcmedara Guest

    My shoulder surgery was almost two months ago, but the doc
    told me no riding off road for now because it takes upwards
    of 8-12 weeks for the tendon to heal down to the bone where
    he reattached it. The guy's a sports medicine surgeon and a
    cyclist, so I am inclined to do what he tells me most of the
    time. He did say riding on the road was okay, but to avoid
    anything too rough on the shoulder.

    Well today was just too damn nice to be a psuedo-roadie. 72
    deg F, sunny, dry trails, I couldn't pass it up. I figured
    I'd drag the boy wonder with me and that would force me to
    keep the speed down and just take it easy. We went to the
    local trails and started with the first little one mile
    loop of single track. The BW actually mastered all the
    bridges without incident and his confidence level shot
    through the roof.

    The bumps and roots on the single track were a bit much on
    the wounded wing, even with the fork set as soft as I could
    get it. So I decided we'd better stick to the fire roads. We
    rode for a little over an hour and the sun was starting to
    go down and BW was starting to complain about being hungry.
    We "raced" back to the parking lot and I dug out the last of
    the granola bars in my camelbak to feed the starving child.
    He looked so cool -- mud flecked legs, gloves still on,
    helmet hair, and bar hanging out his mouth and a big grin on
    his face. Wish I'd had a camera to capture it. A perfect
    example of pure mountain bike joy. The absolute essence of
    what's so great about this sport. We didn't ride all that
    fast, or all that crazy. But the boy rode hard and he didn't
    want to stop because it was just too much damn fun. I was
    just happy to be there.

    Shoulder hurt like hell, despite sticking to the fire roads.
    I'm sure it was just the tiny little bumps and the absolute
    lack of strenght in the arm. Whatever the cause, all things
    are made better through chemicals. Either way, it was well
    worth it to see the expression on a 9 year old kid who just
    rode himself to exhaustion and loved every minute of it.

    Tom

    Tags:

  2. M. Prindle

    M. Prindle Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > My shoulder surgery was almost two months ago, but the doc
    > told me no riding off road for now because it takes
    > upwards of 8-12 weeks for the tendon to heal down to the
    > bone where he reattached it. The guy's a sports medicine
    > surgeon and a cyclist, so I am inclined to do what he
    > tells me most of the time. He did say riding on the road
    > was okay, but to avoid anything too rough on the shoulder.
    >
    > Well today was just too damn nice to be a psuedo-roadie.
    > 72 deg F, sunny, dry trails, I couldn't pass it up. I
    > figured I'd drag the boy wonder with me and that would
    > force me to keep the speed down and just take it easy. We
    > went to the local trails and started with the first little
    > one mile loop of single track. The BW actually mastered
    > all the bridges without incident and his confidence level
    > shot through the roof.
    >
    > The bumps and roots on the single track were a bit much on
    > the wounded wing, even with the fork set as soft as I
    > could get it. So I decided we'd better stick to the fire
    > roads. We rode for a little over an hour and the sun was
    > starting to go down and BW was starting to complain about
    > being hungry. We "raced" back to the parking lot and I dug
    > out the last of the granola bars in my camelbak to feed
    > the starving child. He looked so cool -- mud flecked legs,
    > gloves still on, helmet hair, and bar hanging out his
    > mouth and a big grin on his face. Wish I'd had a camera to
    > capture it. A perfect example of pure mountain bike joy.
    > The absolute essence of what's so great about this sport.
    > We didn't ride all that fast, or all that crazy. But the
    > boy rode hard and he didn't want to stop because it was
    > just too much damn fun. I was just happy to be there.
    >
    > Shoulder hurt like hell, despite sticking to the fire
    > roads. I'm sure it was just the tiny little bumps and the
    > absolute lack of strenght in the arm. Whatever the cause,
    > all things are made better through chemicals. Either way,
    > it was well worth it to see the expression on a 9 year old
    > kid who just rode himself to exhaustion and loved every
    > minute of it.
    >
    > Tom

    Sweet, I cant wait to have kids so I can take them out
    riding. :) Pain is nothing when you look at the face of
    your kid. :)

    M. Prindle

  3. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    tcmedara wrote:
    > My shoulder surgery was almost two months ago, but the doc
    > told me no riding off road for now because it takes
    > upwards of 8-12 weeks for the tendon to heal down to the
    > bone where he reattached it. The guy's a sports medicine
    > surgeon and a cyclist, so I am inclined to do what he
    > tells me most of the time. He did say riding on the road
    > was okay, but to avoid anything too rough on the shoulder.
    >
    > Well today was just too damn nice to be a psuedo-roadie.
    > 72 deg F, sunny, dry trails, I couldn't pass it up. I
    > figured I'd drag the boy wonder with me and that would
    > force me to keep the speed down and just take it easy. We
    > went to the local trails and started with the first little
    > one mile loop of single track. The BW actually mastered
    > all the bridges without incident and his confidence level
    > shot through the roof.
    >
    > The bumps and roots on the single track were a bit much on
    > the wounded wing, even with the fork set as soft as I
    > could get it. So I decided we'd better stick to the fire
    > roads. We rode for a little over an hour and the sun was
    > starting to go down and BW was starting to complain about
    > being hungry. We "raced" back to the parking lot and I dug
    > out the last of the granola bars in my camelbak to feed
    > the starving child. He looked so cool -- mud flecked legs,
    > gloves still on, helmet hair, and bar hanging out his
    > mouth and a big grin on his face. Wish I'd had a camera to
    > capture it. A perfect example of pure mountain bike joy.
    > The absolute essence of what's so great about this sport.
    > We didn't ride all that fast, or all that crazy. But the
    > boy rode hard and he didn't want to stop because it was
    > just too much damn fun. I was just happy to be there.
    >
    > Shoulder hurt like hell, despite sticking to the fire
    > roads. I'm sure it was just the tiny little bumps and the
    > absolute lack of strenght in the arm. Whatever the cause,
    > all things are made better through chemicals. Either way,
    > it was well worth it to see the expression on a 9 year old
    > kid who just rode himself to exhaustion and loved every
    > minute of it.

    Sounds like the big kid did, too :)

    I remember my first ride 6 weeks to day after surgery --
    didn't own a road bike back then, so it felt really foreign
    to be back on two wheels. Only did a little 45-minute toodle
    down hill from house; few days later I was back riding with
    the pack out at Anderson Truck Trail (*way* too soon, but
    got away w/it)...

    What was really scary was first crash; felt a twinge in
    shoulder but no bad damage. (Mine still gets sore sometimes
    after riding, but just sort of achy.) Knock on Styrofoam.

    What sucks is that the strength has never really come back,
    so I can't pull up on bar effectively (or evenly). Also
    still flinch a little at certain technical sections, and
    once you hesitate...

    Glad you got back out there, Tom -- don't tell your doc, but
    DO be careful! I know you don't want to get scoped 'n sewed
    any more...

    Bill "off the 'cuff' remarks" S.

  4. Tcmedara

    Tcmedara Guest

    S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Sounds like the big kid did, too :)

    Yep! An hour at low speed on fire road was about right.
    Anything faster, longer, or harder would have hurt.

    > I remember my first ride 6 weeks to day after surgery --
    > didn't own a road bike back then, so it felt really
    > foreign to be back on two wheels. Only did a little 45-
    > minute toodle down hill from house; few days later I was
    > back riding with the pack out at Anderson Truck Trail
    > (*way* too soon, but got away w/it)...

    Came home the other day and asked the wife what she thought
    of me dropping some cash on a road bike as long as I kept it
    under $2K. I managed to get out of the kitchen before she
    reached the knife block. So it was an "outright"
    refusal..... Probably better off, I'd have to stop busting
    on roadies.

    > What was really scary was first crash; felt a twinge in
    > shoulder but no bad damage. (Mine still gets sore
    > sometimes after riding, but just sort of achy.) Knock on
    > Styrofoam.

    I was in total denial about the prospect of a crash. I
    figured I was taking it easy so the risk was low. 'Course
    now I recall the thread a few weeks back about the low speed
    crash on the sidewalk or something to that effect. And I was
    riding the hardtail with slicks mounted as the FS is down
    for maintenance!

    > What sucks is that the strength has never really come
    > back, so I can't pull up on bar effectively (or evenly).
    > Also still flinch a little at certain technical sections,
    > and once you hesitate...

    Hope that doesn't happen. Pain gets less every day and
    they've started me on the strengthening regime now. I never
    had big arms anyway, but the left one is looking remarkably
    scrawny at this stage.

    > Glad you got back out there, Tom -- don't tell your doc,
    > but DO be careful! I know you don't want to get scoped 'n
    > sewed any more...

    Thanks. I'm looking forward to a real ride, but I figure
    that's still a few weeks a way. Ran into some biking buddies
    in the parking lot and they were all raving about the new
    trail the local club just finished. It was killin' me, but
    I'm planning to hold out on the real riding until the doc
    gives me the thumbs up. 'Course I think I caused the
    original problem about 10 years ago from a silly OTB
    incident, so the risk is always present. Surgery once a
    decade ain't bad though, as long as I get to keep riding!

    Tom

  5. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 21:02:47 -0400, tcmedara wrote:

    > in my camelbak to feed the starving child. He looked so
    > cool -- mud flecked legs, gloves still on, helmet hair,
    > and bar hanging out his mouth and a big grin on his face.
    > Wish I'd had a camera to capture it. A perfect example of
    > pure mountain bike joy. The absolute essence of what's so
    > great about this sport. We didn't ride all that fast, or
    > all that crazy. But the boy rode hard and he didn't want
    > to stop because it was just too much damn fun. I was just
    > happy to be there.

    Shoulda "smoked" the little dude. ;-)

    Just kidding. Very cool - I never could get my daughter into
    it, and I'm a little jealous of those who can. Some days its
    fun to be a family man.

    --
    -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail
    address, at least)

  6. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Shoulder hurt like hell, despite sticking to the fire
    > roads. I'm sure it was just the tiny little bumps and the
    > absolute lack of strenght in the
    arm.
    > Whatever the cause, all things are made better through
    > chemicals. Either way, it was well worth it to see the
    > expression on a 9 year old kid who
    just
    > rode himself to exhaustion and loved every minute of it.
    >
    > Tom

    Coolness. Which trail?

    Pete

  7. Tcmedara

    Tcmedara Guest

    Pete <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>
    >> Shoulder hurt like hell, despite sticking to the fire
    >> roads. I'm sure it was just the tiny little bumps and the
    >> absolute lack of strenght in the arm. Whatever the cause,
    >> all things are made better through chemicals. Either way,
    >> it was well worth it to see the expression on a 9 year
    >> old kid who just rode himself to exhaustion and loved
    >> every minute of it.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >
    > Coolness. Which trail?
    >
    > Pete

    The first loop at Harwood and then up around the fire roads
    past the model airplane field and back. We'll have to meet
    up out there sometime, with or without kids. I'm still 4-6
    weeks from real riding, but I'll probably end up pushing the
    envelope despite my best intentions. BTW, have you tried the
    new trail up at New Quarter Park yet?

    Tom

  8. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote

    > The first loop at Harwood and then up around the fire
    > roads past the model airplane field and back. We'll have
    > to meet up out there sometime, with
    or
    > without kids. I'm still 4-6 weeks from real riding, but
    > I'll probably end up pushing the envelope despite my best
    > intentions. BTW, have you tried the new trail up at New
    > Quarter Park yet?

    Hadn't heard of it New Quarter Park. But...may take the BW
    out and try it this week.

    Pete

  9. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    tcmedara wrote: <snip>

    > Shoulder hurt like hell, despite sticking to the fire
    > roads. I'm sure it was just the tiny little bumps and the
    > absolute lack of strenght in the arm. Whatever the cause,
    > all things are made better through chemicals. Either way,
    > it was well worth it to see the expression on a 9 year old
    > kid who just rode himself to exhaustion and loved every
    > minute of it.
    >
    > Tom

    Nice. Welcome back! Don't push too hard, but stay on it as
    you can. You'll bounce back quickly, I'm sure!

    Matt (shoulder still gets sore, but not too much to ride)

  10. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My shoulder surgery was almost two months ago, but the doc
    >told me no riding off road for now because it takes upwards
    >of 8-12 weeks for the tendon to heal down to the bone where
    >he reattached it. The guy's a sports medicine surgeon and a
    >cyclist, so I am inclined to do what he tells me most of
    >the time. He did say riding on the road was okay, but to
    >avoid anything too rough on the shoulder.
    >
    >Well today was just too damn nice to be a psuedo-roadie. 72
    >deg F, sunny, dry trails, I couldn't pass it up. I figured
    >I'd drag the boy wonder with me and that would force me to
    >keep the speed down and just take it easy. We went to the
    >local trails and started with the first little one mile
    >loop of single track. The BW actually mastered all the
    >bridges without incident and his confidence level shot
    >through the roof.
    >
    >The bumps and roots on the single track were a bit much on
    >the wounded wing, even with the fork set as soft as I could
    >get it. So I decided we'd better stick to the fire roads.
    >We rode for a little over an hour and the sun was starting
    >to go down and BW was starting to complain about being
    >hungry. We "raced" back to the parking lot and I dug out
    >the last of the granola bars in my camelbak to feed the
    >starving child. He looked so cool -- mud flecked legs,
    >gloves still on, helmet hair, and bar hanging out his mouth
    >and a big grin on his face.

    >Wish I'd had a camera to capture it. A perfect example of
    >pure mountain bike joy. The absolute essence of what's so
    >great about this sport. We didn't ride all that fast, or
    >all that crazy. But the boy rode hard and he didn't want to
    >stop because it was just too much damn fun. I was just
    >happy to be there.

    sweet!

    >Shoulder hurt like hell, despite sticking to the fire
    >roads. I'm sure it was just the tiny little bumps and the
    >absolute lack of strenght in the arm. Whatever the cause,
    >all things are made better through chemicals. Either way,
    >it was well worth it to see the expression on a 9 year old
    >kid who just rode himself to exhaustion and loved every
    >minute of it.
    >
    >Tom

    nice rr, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass
    rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an
    immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]