RR: Five Rides in Tucson

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Corvus Corvax, May 25, 2003.

  1. Tags:

  2. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Get to it before I exceed my bandiwidth limit:
    >
    > http://www.angelfire.com/ab6/corvuscorvax/Tucson2003/
    >
    > Fun, fun, fun. And lots of cactus.
    >
    > CC

    Legs look a little skinny. are you ill? ;-)

    but seriously, i always thought my legs were under powered, until i see what others have. i mean no
    offence. you gotta figure too, big legs eat a lot. its like having a big V8 versus a little in-line
    4 cylinder.

    I bet any one of you could kick my ass on long rides, and i bet you go through less chain links than
    i (broke my chain 4 times last year on climbs. perhaps it is time i get a new one).

    Nice pics, and good looking terrain. Thanks for sharing.
    --
    ~Travis

  3. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Corvus Corvax thoughtfully penned:
    > Get to it before I exceed my bandiwidth limit:
    >
    > http://www.angelfire.com/ab6/corvuscorvax/Tucson2003/
    >
    > Fun, fun, fun. And lots of cactus.
    >
    > CC

    cool! funs sites to surf from too. About 15 years ago my hubby was doing some contract work on the
    base there, and he had full access to base so we got to drive around in the plane graveyard there.

    if you surf on the cherba.com site from some of the trail descriptions, he's got a pretty funny
    rating system.

  4. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Technician thoughtfully penned:
    >> Get to it before I exceed my bandiwidth limit:
    >>
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/ab6/corvuscorvax/Tucson2003/
    >>
    >> Fun, fun, fun. And lots of cactus.
    >>
    >> CC
    >>

    > Legs look a little skinny. are you ill? ;-)
    >
    > but seriously, i always thought my legs were under powered, until i see what others have. i mean
    > no offence. you gotta figure too, big legs eat a lot. its like having a big V8 versus a little
    > in-line 4 cylinder.
    >
    > I bet any one of you could kick my ass on long rides,

    anyone of us could probably kick you butt on a short ride too. 12 hours a day in front of
    a computer?

    penny

  5. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Technician thoughtfully penned:
    > >> Get to it before I exceed my bandiwidth limit:
    > >>
    > >> http://www.angelfire.com/ab6/corvuscorvax/Tucson2003/
    > >>
    > >> Fun, fun, fun. And lots of cactus.
    > >>
    > >> CC
    > >>

    > > Legs look a little skinny. are you ill? ;-)
    > >
    > > but seriously, i always thought my legs were under powered, until i see what others have. i mean
    > > no offence. you gotta figure too, big legs eat a lot. its like having a big V8 versus a little
    > > in-line 4 cylinder.
    > >
    > > I bet any one of you could kick my ass on long rides,
    >

    > anyone of us could probably kick you butt on a short ride too. 12 hours a day in front of a
    > computer?
    >
    > penny

    no doubt. but on a short ride i can make up for it with power on the hills.
    --
    ~Travis

  6. Danny

    Danny Guest

    Very cool.. I would love to get back to Tucson and ride.. I was born there but haven't lived there
    in MANY years.. Even before I used to ride I used to walk the deserts behind the Santa Catalinas..
    You could walk all day and never see anything man-made.. It was great!

    Danny

    "Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Get to it before I exceed my bandiwidth limit:
    >
    > http://www.angelfire.com/ab6/corvuscorvax/Tucson2003/
    >
    > Fun, fun, fun. And lots of cactus.
    >
    > CC

  7. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    > > Technician thoughtfully penned:
    > > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > > > Legs look a little skinny. are you ill? ;-)
    > > >
    > > > but seriously, i always thought my legs were under powered, until i see what others have. i
    > > > mean no offence. you gotta figure too, big legs eat a lot. its like having a big V8 versus a
    > > > little in-line 4 cylinder.
    > > >
    > > > I bet any one of you could kick my ass on long rides,
    > >

    > > anyone of us could probably kick you butt on a short ride too. 12 hours
    > > day in front of a computer?
    > >
    > > penny
    > >

    > no doubt. but on a short ride i can make up for it with power on the hills.
    > --
    > ~Travis
    >
    > travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

    Until Mr. Fixed-Gear himself Corvus kicks your ass. Ever looked at Lance's legs? Yeah, he's toned,
    but they're not massive by any means: http://www.chez.com/velonet/graphics/a/arm10.jpg

    And don't try to tell me you could beat LA with "power on the hills" - that's what he's known for.

    Size isn't everything... at least as far as legs are concerned ;)

    Jon "Chicken legs" Bond

  8. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > Technician thoughtfully penned:

    > > > anyone of us could probably kick you butt on a short ride too. 12 hours
    > > > day in front of a computer?
    > > >
    > > > penny
    > > >

    > > no doubt. but on a short ride i can make up for it with power on the hills.
    > > --
    > > ~Travis
    > >
    > > travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/
    >
    > Until Mr. Fixed-Gear himself Corvus kicks your ass. Ever looked at Lance's legs? Yeah, he's toned,
    > but they're not massive by any means: http://www.chez.com/velonet/graphics/a/arm10.jpg
    >
    > And don't try to tell me you could beat LA with "power on the hills" - that's what he's known for.
    >
    > Size isn't everything... at least as far as legs are concerned ;)
    >
    > Jon "Chicken legs" Bond

    actually, it would be an honer to try. even if he toasted my arse from the start, i would enjoy
    the moment.

    Interestingly, does Lance ride off-road at all? could be interesting to try him on some trails to
    see how he compares.
    --
    ~Travis

  9. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    > > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > > > no doubt. but on a short ride i can make up for it with power on the hills.
    > > > --
    > > > ~Travis
    > > >
    > > > travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/
    > >
    > > Until Mr. Fixed-Gear himself Corvus kicks your ass. Ever looked at
    Lance's
    > > legs? Yeah, he's toned, but they're not massive by any means:
    > > http://www.chez.com/velonet/graphics/a/arm10.jpg
    > >
    > > And don't try to tell me you could beat LA with "power on the hills" - that's what he's
    > > known for.
    > >
    > > Size isn't everything... at least as far as legs are concerned ;)
    > >
    > > Jon "Chicken legs" Bond
    > >

    > actually, it would be an honer to try. even if he toasted my arse from the start, i would enjoy
    > the moment.
    >
    > Interestingly, does Lance ride off-road at all? could be interesting to try him on some trails to
    > see how he compares.
    > --
    > ~Travis
    >
    > travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

    Yes, supposedly once a week or so. He also does some races, mostly off-road biathlons. Last year, in
    a biathlon where he got a flat, only two or three people managed to beat him. The winner? A guy on a
    singlespeed. He actually was beating Lance before the flat, so he legitamately beat him. Sick.

    Jon Bond

  10. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > hours

    > > > Until Mr. Fixed-Gear himself Corvus kicks your ass. Ever looked at
    > Lance's
    > > > legs? Yeah, he's toned, but they're not massive by any means:
    > > > http://www.chez.com/velonet/graphics/a/arm10.jpg
    > > >
    > > > And don't try to tell me you could beat LA with "power on the hills" - that's what he's known
    > > > for.
    > > >
    > > > Size isn't everything... at least as far as legs are concerned ;)
    > > >
    > > > Jon "Chicken legs" Bond
    > > >

    > > actually, it would be an honer to try. even if he toasted my arse from the start, i would enjoy
    > > the moment.
    > >
    > > Interestingly, does Lance ride off-road at all? could be interesting to try him on some trails
    > > to see how he compares.
    > > --
    > > ~Travis
    > >
    > > travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/
    >
    > Yes, supposedly once a week or so. He also does some races, mostly off-road biathlons. Last
    > year, in a biathlon where he got a flat, only two or three people managed to beat him. The
    > winner? A guy on a singlespeed. He actually was beating Lance before the flat, so he
    > legitamately beat him. Sick.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    beat him on a single speed? damn, that guy must have had some tree trunks under him.

    So leg size i guess doesn't matter (or does it ;-) so a more appropriate scale may be the leg
    press. I can do like 7 or 8 (can't remember, been a while) sets of 12 reps at 500lb (combined for
    both legs).

    but unfortunately, i never worked on speed. i think the last time i tried a exercycle with a cadence
    meter on it i maxed at about 70 i think (again, it has been a while). i know at slow cadence, i can
    pedal smooth and in circles, but at a fast cadence, i start to get unstable. knees start to flail
    about, pedal motion causes a pronounced bounce, and then the 'ol gas gauge plummets. gotta work on
    that i guess. maybe clipless would help. the Power-Grips i have don't fit over my shoes (they are
    only size 13). maybe just getting some SPD compatible mtb shoes sometime would be a good upgrade as
    they would be lightly smaller (thinner soles). that and i would be half way there should i upgrade
    to clipless. Ahh well, all in the future. first i gotta upgrade my employment status.
    --
    ~Travis

  11. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Jon Bond thoughtfully penned:

    >> Interestingly, does Lance ride off-road at all? could be interesting to try him on some trails to
    >> see how he compares.
    >> --
    >> ~Travis
    >>
    >> travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/
    >
    > Yes, supposedly once a week or so. He also does some races, mostly off-road biathlons. Last
    > year, in a biathlon where he got a flat, only two or three people managed to beat him. The
    > winner? A guy on a singlespeed. He actually was beating Lance before the flat, so he
    > legitamately beat him. Sick.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    didn't he used to race off road? There's a great little video clip ( NIKE ad)of him taking a group
    of roadies off the pavement and losing them one by one.

    penny

  12. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    > Jon Bond thoughtfully penned:
    > >>>
    > >> Interestingly, does Lance ride off-road at all? could be interesting to try him on some trails
    > >> to see how he compares.
    > >> --
    > >> ~Travis
    > >>
    > >> travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/
    > >
    > > Yes, supposedly once a week or so. He also does some races, mostly off-road biathlons. Last
    > > year, in a biathlon where he got a flat, only two or three people managed to beat him. The
    > > winner? A guy on a singlespeed. He actually was beating Lance before the flat, so he
    > > legitamately beat him. Sick.
    > >
    > > Jon Bond
    >
    > didn't he used to race off road? There's a great little video clip ( NIKE ad)of him taking a group
    > of roadies off the pavement and losing them one
    by
    > one.
    >
    > penny

    IIRC, that race was only a couple years ago. I think he does local Texas mountain bike races still.

    Jon Bond

  13. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    > > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    12
    > > hours

    > > Lance's

    > > > actually, it would be an honer to try. even if he toasted my arse from the start, i would
    > > > enjoy the moment.
    > > >
    > > > Interestingly, does Lance ride off-road at all? could be interesting
    > > > try him on some trails to see how he compares.
    > > > --
    > > > ~Travis
    > > >
    > > > travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/
    > >
    > > Yes, supposedly once a week or so. He also does some races, mostly
    off-road
    > > biathlons. Last year, in a biathlon where he got a flat, only two or
    three
    > > people managed to beat him. The winner? A guy on a singlespeed. He actually was beating Lance
    > > before the flat, so he legitamately beat him. Sick.
    > >
    > > Jon Bond
    > >

    > beat him on a single speed? damn, that guy must have had some tree trunks under him.
    >
    > So leg size i guess doesn't matter (or does it ;-) so a more appropriate scale may be the leg
    > press. I can do like 7 or 8 (can't remember, been a while) sets of 12 reps at 500lb (combined for
    > both legs).

    Yeah, but do you weigh 135 pounds? Makes a huge difference. Also, brute strength really doesn't get
    you all that far on bikes.

    > but unfortunately, i never worked on speed. i think the last time i tried a exercycle with a
    > cadence meter on it i maxed at about 70 i think (again, it has been a while).

    Not sure what I max out around - been a while since I rode something with cadence. IIRC, it was
    around 130 though, and I know I've gotten smoother since then. Skinny legs spin fast.

    > i know at slow cadence, i can pedal smooth and in circles, but at a fast cadence, i start to get
    > unstable. knees start to flail about, pedal motion causes a pronounced bounce, and then the 'ol
    > gas gauge plummets. gotta work on that i guess. maybe clipless would help.

    Its more technique. Clipless makes it a tiny bit easier to spin, but not much - plus its one more
    thing to think about.

    > the Power-Grips i have don't fit over my shoes (they are only size 13). maybe just getting some
    > SPD compatible mtb shoes sometime would be a good upgrade as they would be lightly smaller
    > (thinner soles). that and i would be half way there should i upgrade to clipless.

    Um, SPD shoes have big lugs on them. They also have a stiffening plate. For normal pedals, you're
    not going to get any closer, especially with entry level shoes. Maybe the super-high-end ones can
    get you closer to the axle, but anything less is just more rubber.

    > Ahh well, all in the future. first i gotta upgrade my employment status.

    Yeah, I'd say thats probably a good idea. And don't blow it all on bike stuff/computer stuff. Start
    saving. I saved half the money I made working the last three years for "spending money" in college,
    although I think about half of that and some of the other money I saved up went towards my tuition.
    Either way, I ended up with about 1000 a year for my first three years at school. Granted, I spent a
    lot of that on the new bike, but that's what I decided to spend my money on - I don't go out to
    dinner that much (although i've got a competition going with a friend now, which means I have to
    take a girl out on a date every week, or I owe her a sixer - works both ways. Should be fun!), I try
    to use my dining hall meals instead of ordering out, I don't go to many concerts unless they're
    cheap or free (but I've seen some amazing bands nonetheless - Virginia Coalition, Soulive, Joshua
    Redman...), and so on and so on. Its nice to plan and dream, but don't let your dreams get too far
    ahead of your means. Ride your bike, be happy with it. When you find yourself with enough money
    saved up that you can actually do something with it, then decide what you want to do with it. If
    it's still a new bike, well, more power to ya.

    Jon Bond

  14. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Technician wrote:

    > So leg size i guess doesn't matter (or does it ;-) so a more appropriate scale may be the leg
    > press. I can do like 7 or 8 (can't remember, been a while) sets of 12 reps at 500lb (combined for
    > both legs).

    Way off. If anything, leg size tends to work in the opposite direction. Try and find a picture of an
    XC rider or a roadie with big legs (Djamolodine Abdujaparov excluded). Most are skinny whippets. Big
    legs are generally for power and sprinting - bmx racing is the one discipline that immediately
    springs to mind.

  15. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On 25 May 2003 13:55:19 -0700, [email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote:

    >Get to it before I exceed my bandiwidth limit:
    >
    >http://www.angelfire.com/ab6/corvuscorvax/Tucson2003/
    >
    >Fun, fun, fun. And lots of cactus.
    >
    >CC

    Nice, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    :-]

  16. "Danny" <[email protected]> wrote
    > I would love to get back to Tucson and ride.. I was born there but haven't lived there in MANY
    > years.. Even before I used to ride I used to walk the deserts behind the Santa Catalinas.. You
    > could walk all day and never see anything man-made.. It was great!

    Dude, you'll cry. The place is being utterly destroyed by developers. Oracle Road is now miles and
    miles of the most godawful sprawl you've ever seen. Sad.

    CC

  17. Danny

    Danny Guest

    That really sucks then.. I lived out near Oracle for a time.. Nothing but a few homes and the missle
    silos... Jack rabbits, rattlesnakes, scorpions, and the occasional tarantula.. The only place in my
    life I have been that was so bright with only star light, that you could walk and see shadows of
    things at night..

    I really miss that place..

    Danny

    "Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Danny" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > I would love to get back to Tucson and ride.. I was born there but haven't lived there in MANY
    > > years.. Even before I used to
    ride I
    > > used to walk the deserts behind the Santa Catalinas.. You could walk
    all
    > > day and never see anything man-made.. It was great!
    >
    > Dude, you'll cry. The place is being utterly destroyed by developers. Oracle Road is now miles and
    > miles of the most godawful sprawl you've ever seen. Sad.
    >
    > CC

  18. Paul Beakley

    Paul Beakley Guest

    On 25 May 2003 13:55:19 -0700, [email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote:

    >Get to it before I exceed my bandiwidth limit:
    >
    >http://www.angelfire.com/ab6/corvuscorvax/Tucson2003/
    >
    >Fun, fun, fun. And lots of cactus.
    >
    >CC

    Nice, very nice! I love Tucson. If you two ever come down again and are up for a looooong all-day
    ride, ring/mail me up. I've got several epics that come off the very tippy-top of the Catalinas, up
    by the observatory, all the way down into the town of Catalina. 5-8 hour day rides, but they're
    awesome adventures.

    Take care,

    Paul

    Outside America: Mountain Bike America -- Arizona Guidebook available at bike shops, bookstores,
    and online
    (480) 756-2460 | (602) 370-7107 cell http://www.mountainbikearizona.com

  19. [email protected] (Paul Beakley) wrote

    > Nice, very nice! I love Tucson. If you two ever come down again and are up for a looooong all-day
    > ride, ring/mail me up. I've got several epics that come off the very tippy-top of the Catalinas,
    > up by the observatory, all the way down into the town of Catalina. 5-8 hour day rides, but they're
    > awesome adventures.

    Thanks for the offer, we might do that. I know I was drooling over Sanmiango Ridge (sp?), but that's
    a definite shuttle ride, which would have been difficult to arrange. Not to mention that doing
    hardcore backcountry rides without a lot of local knowledge and/or detailed prep can be a Real Bad
    Idea. Especially in the summer desert...

    Call me foolishly conservative.

    CC

  20. Paul Beakley

    Paul Beakley Guest

    On 28 May 2003 17:14:36 -0700, [email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote:

    >[email protected] (Paul Beakley) wrote
    >>
    >> Nice, very nice! I love Tucson. If you two ever come down again and are up for a looooong all-day
    >> ride, ring/mail me up. I've got several epics that come off the very tippy-top of the Catalinas,
    >> up by the observatory, all the way down into the town of Catalina. 5-8 hour day rides, but
    >> they're awesome adventures.
    >
    >Thanks for the offer, we might do that. I know I was drooling over Sanmiango Ridge (sp?), but
    >that's a definite shuttle ride, which would have been difficult to arrange. Not to mention that
    >doing hardcore backcountry rides without a lot of local knowledge and/or detailed prep can be a
    >Real Bad Idea. Especially in the summer desert...
    >
    >Call me foolishly conservative.

    Not at all -- Sammie Ridge, Red Ridge, Canada del Oro -- all awesome rides, all scary backcountry
    disasters in waiting. I'm working on how to include them in the next edition of my book, because so
    much of the experience involves trail finding, scrabbling over deadfall, etc. Hardly anyone ever
    uses the trails except for a few very hardcore riders willing to expose themselves to a lot of risk.
    However, enough of us know the way that we feel comfortable taking along a few friends we feel are
    able to handle the challenge.

    Let me know next time you're coming to town. Hopefully not in the middle of summer! The final hours
    of the rides end up in the 4000'-3500' range, and it's still godawful hot. :-{

    p.Outside America: Mountain Bike America -- Arizona Guidebook available at bike shops, bookstores,