Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

RR: FTF winter series rnd 1

Started by Duncan · · Last activity · 2 posts · 468 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
4 May 2005
Last activity
5 May 2005
Original author
Duncan
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
468
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello,
    Seems like everyone is doing a race report from last weekend so I thought
    I'd add one myself.

    Last sunday I raced the first round of the Fat Tyre Flyers winter MTB
    series. I've been racing for a bit under a year and have done half a summer
    series so everything is still kinda new and exciting for me so forgive a
    little self indulgence.

    I raced sportA in the summer series and never placed better than third but
    thanks to a surprise performance at the Nationals I was told I'd cop heaps
    if I raced sportA again. I heard the winter series was a bit more relaxed
    so I thought I'd try my hand at expert class.

    The weather was a little damp but was forecast to clear up and the track at
    Anderson Gardens is not one to hold much water. So many people were
    supposed to show up but never came. Snozza, Paul Bryant and Dan-o were
    supposed to round out a star-studded veteran class but failed to show up.
    What happened Snozz?

    Anyway, one advantage of Expert class is that you get to start second behind
    elite so you get a clean 1st lap. A field of 9 had shown up and I only knew
    three of the names, all of whom I had beaten and had been beaten by in the
    past.

    The first lap was torture, I've always been a bad starter but this time
    there was no mercy. The one thing I immediatly noticed about expert was
    that the field was so much tighter. The range of ability from fastest to
    slowest was tiny compared to the sportA field so it felt much more like
    riding in a bunch. Even so I was struggling and conceded 21 seconds to the
    leader and short of Lewis and his tyre trouble would've been coming DFL.

    I half accepted that I wasn't going to do so well but half realised my legs
    would come good at some point. I think it was the end of the second lap
    where I finaly started clawing back some ground. The middle few laps were a
    great tussle for positions but I really didn't know who was in which class
    after we all started lapping people.

    It came down to the last lap (of 5) and I realised I still had a bit left in
    me and managed to gain some spots off some guys who'd clearly started to
    hurt. By the time I'd passed the last guy I could see in front of me I gave
    it everything I had to secure my position. It hurt heaps but I knew the end
    was near. I crossed the line but had no real idea how I'd placed.

    I managed to get a sneak peak at the results on the computer and couldn't
    wipe away my smile to find I'd placed third in my first expert race. In a
    1:30:15 race I was 1:12 off first place, nice to have a realistic target.

    So, to all potential MTB racers out there I recomend giving the winter
    series a go. It's very friendly and relaxed and perfect for getting nice
    and muddy.

    Cheers,
    Duncan.

  2. Duncan said:

    Hello,
    Seems like everyone is doing a race report from last weekend so I thought
    I'd add one myself.

    Cool

    Duncan said:


    I managed to get a sneak peak at the results on the computer and couldn't
    wipe away my smile to find I'd placed third in my first expert race. In a
    1:30:15 race I was 1:12 off first place, nice to have a realistic target.

    So, to all potential MTB racers out there I recomend giving the winter
    series a go. It's very friendly and relaxed and perfect for getting nice
    and muddy.

    Or dusty, as has been the case in Sydney & surounds.

    Nice result.

    Parbs

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.