RR: Gisborne South - woo hoo!

ritcho

May 24, 2004
The stars aligned and I was able to make my Vic racing debut... it's only taken until July...

Under threatening skies, an empty threat as it turned out, I joined about twenty or so riders in Northern Combine C-grade scratch race. The course was seven circuits of about 8.5km through rolling countryside.

I haven't raced for about a year, so the plan was to see if I could finish with the main bunch. It was a sufferfest up that b****y hill, (my gps output reckons 1.4km @ 5% average) - ok, not all that long or steep, but I don't seem to go up hills as fast as other people. Luckily, I had enough to stay in the main bunch.

The early break was instigated by a.b's own Ess on lap 3 up the hill, but no-one joined him so he was in for about an hour of ITT if he wanted to stay away. I think the gap increased to maybe 45 sec in a lap so Ess was really motoring. Alas, it was all over another lap and a half later. This attempt at glory was great news for me at the back of the bunch because I could pretend that I was doing 'the team thing' in not helping chase a fellow Hawthorn rider...

The bunch came back together but just caused more trouble as a pair of riders tried to get away... They were assisted by getting through an intersection that the main bunch had to stop (pooh). The short delay gave them an extra few seconds and with two to go a slightly more organised chase was required. Eventually I felt the wind in my face as I had a few turns on the front (not bad - I made it to lap 6 of 7 before reaching the front).

The climb up the hill on lap 6 was a big effort and the effort continued down the other side as the chase continued. This broke the main bunch and it was 2 against 5 chasers with a lap and a half to go. The 5 (inc me and Ess) was working well and the two out front were caught just before the bell.

Last time up the big hill and the race was there to be won, but no-one really tried to take off, maybe fancying an attack just after the top(?). There were a few half-determined efforts to get away, but they were all pretty much one-out and there was enough combined power in the remainder to prevent any long range solo attacks.

The run into the finish is mostly downhill with a sweeping left bend. I suggested to Ess before the race that I might try to lead him out for the sprint (in the unlikely event that I'd be in a position to do so). As it happened, we were in such a position, however, with just over 1km to go, Ess took off like a scalded cat and put a gap of at least 50 metres with still another 700-800 to go.

There were still six others in the hunt, with me sitting in third wheel. The front two started to wind up with about 500m to go so I gambled and sprinted for the line. Ess ran out of juice around 200 to go and I just kept the head down and hoped for the line.

Across the line, look around, no-one there - first place for me woo hoo! (fist pumping!)

Now I'm totally knackered and won't be at the BR tomorrow [1]

Apparently there is a team TT soon... I've done a little bit of riding on aero bars before...

R

[1] The house rules are that I can't go Sunday ride if I spend all afternoon Saturday out riding... I don't make the rules.

ritcho said:
[1] The house rules are that I can't go Sunday ride if I spend all afternoon Saturday out riding... I don't make the rules.

The first rule about the house rules is that you never mention the house rules.

On 2006-07-08, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)
was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>
> ritcho Wrote:
>>
>> [1] The house rules are that I can't go Sunday ride if I spend all
>> afternoon Saturday out riding... I don't make the rules.

>
> The first rule about the house rules is that you never mention the
> house rules.

The second rule is the house always wins.

--
TimC
Brain fried (core dumped)

TimC said:
The second rule is the house always wins.

3rd rule is, he/she who pays for the house gets to ride whenever they friggin well like!
At least until such time as 'other considerations' are brought to bear and you only get to ride when you're allowed :rolleyes:

PS congrats Ritcho. fark. everyone's winnin. I'm goin backwards.
About the only person I could beat at the mo is Hippy, and he's gonna wheel out an excuse I can't top (until such time as my brain surgery appointment comes thru... :rolleyes: )

must_get_some_sleep

Flying"NOT"Dutch

flyingdutch said:
3rd rule is, he/she who pays for the house gets to ride whenever they friggin well like!
At least until such time as 'other considerations' are brought to bear and you only get to ride when you're allowed :rolleyes:

PS congrats Ritcho. fark. everyone's winnin. I'm goin backwards.
About the only person I could beat at the mo is Hippy, and he's gonna wheel out an excuse I can't top (until such time as my brain surgery appointment comes thru... :rolleyes: )

Geez.. ya don't post for a while and people think they can beat ya?! WTF?! :p

I accept your challenge! See you at Marble Arch for a commuter shootout! ;)

hippy
- I'm not THAT slow.. am I? :S ;)

Oh.. and nice work ritcho!

Weren't you once a QLD dude?
Sorry my a.b memory is as bad as my real-life memory ;)

hippy

unwritten uber-rule - excoriating glare and tight lips equals "don't ask
on pain of death"

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
>
> TimC Wrote:
>>
>> The second rule is the house always wins.
>>
>>

>
> 3rd rule is, he/she who pays for the house gets to ride whenever they
> friggin well like!
> At least until such time as 'other considerations' are brought to bear
> and you only get to ride when you're allowed :rolleyes:
>
> PS congrats Ritcho. fark. everyone's winnin. I'm goin backwards.
> About the only person I could beat at the mo is Hippy, and he's gonna
> wheel out an excuse I can't top (until such time as my brain surgery
> appointment comes thru... :rolleyes: )
>
> must_get_some_sleep
>
> Flying"NOT"Dutch
>
>
> --
> flyingdutch
>

hippy said:
Oh.. and nice work ritcho!

Weren't you once a QLD dude?
Sorry my a.b memory is as bad as my real-life memory ;)

hippy

Nay, your a.b memory is not bad at all. Was Bris, was Syd, now Melb...

R