RR:Glenvale 24.4.05. C-Grade hurts!

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
After all the banter in the leadup i was feeling rather sceptical today was going to come to anything. I was feeling like this was gonna be a hiding to nothing. Only one wayto find out :D

Arrive and Gags and Lindz are already parked. spot Hip rolling around circuit and the BR crwod are already there. dang! witnesses!! :rolleyes:

We roll around, cant see Jaz. Maybe he perfected the hangover this week? :D Get to the start and He does indeed appear. Start and already the first lap is more serious than Dgrade but soon settles down. Im staying in the first 6ish and jumping on anything that tries to go. The plan going in was to not let any breakaways go for the first 30-40minutes and anything beyond that would be a bonus if i could assist Hippy after that.
1-2 man attacks keep going but nothing real serious for the first 10-15minutes. Lindz tries to jump which gets a few excited but again all together. The pace has upped tho and (i think?) its all fairly strungout.
I realise i still ahve 2 water bottles on me and decide to ditch one, near the BR crowd in the main straight. As we zoom by i sit up and lob it in their general direction but ralise too late it still half full and it travels further/higher than i expect, almost decapitating Brett (sorry :rolleyes: ).
Next time round i ride on that side and apologise.
Im now on Jazz's wheel in approx 15th spot. The constant surges early on that i was on top of had taken their toll and i was now in the safety of the pack resting up, hoping to pitch in for Hip at the point end.
The 30-45min stretch i go thru serious thawts of pulling over but just concentrate on suckin-wheel and avoiding the elastic-affect comin ot of corners.

We get to (form memory) 48min(?) and pass the line and vaguley hear '3laps to go' !!! I overhear a few startled conversations in the pack...
"He musta meant D, surely?". Coming out of the 2nd corner obviously some had decided otherwise. Gags had been near the front for the last couple of laps (he aint hard to spot :D), Im pretty sure that Jaz was in front somewhere and Hip was just a few in front as we went down the back straight. There had been a strong headwind all day down here bu the pace was upped to high 40's. I was about 10-15th (i think), approaching the 3rd corner and relaising i was feeling remarkably OK and perhaps I could make something happen after all.
On a wheel as we enter the corner, he turns a bit earlier than i expect, I turn sharply and still pedalling into the bend.

I hit my left pedal HARD, but its OK, its just 'uprighted me'!
Oh no. Im still going to my right :eek: Im going down....

Well, that's about it. I vaguely remember being aware not to stick my arms out and trying to roll with it. My guess of what happened is my left pedal has basically stopped me on the spot and i pirouette on it as the rear of the bike goes right, Im going over the right of the bike (but in the same direction i had been travelling?) and vaguely recall a HUGE WHHAAACCCKKK!!! to the rear of my head. Vague memory of 2 feet in front of my face as a large number of wheels whizz past.
'Where/how is the bike?' im thinkin. try and sit up but stars are descendiing. Lie down fool!
After 30secs or so Im helped up, and wobble with 2 people helping me off to the side of road. There is nobody else on the tarmac which is a good sign. Lie down, back of head sore but remarkably OK.
Someone hands me my helmet which is split in half and missing the rear quarter! Lindz has checked my bike and says its basically OK
(Im later astounded how little damage it incurred).
BR lads are there already (HTF did they get there/know so quick?) and Im already starting to feel much better but Im guessin the shock is on its way.

So, after all that, many grazes (actually i have been bloody lucky considering what speed and how hard i hit!), sore neck and abs (yes, abs! go figure. didnt even know i had any???) and scratched bike.

Im philosophical tho. Cgrade was hard indeed, but not AS hard as i had built it up to myself in the head and I lasted longer/stronger than I thought i would! So apart from my own stupidity, It was a good step

Now, new helmet time. Hey Bleve, perhaps if we glue our together it would make one good one :rolleyes:

PS where did everyone else finish up and who's race did i stuff up (sorry!)

flyingdutch said:
After all the banter in the leadup i was feeling rather sceptical today was going to come to anything. I was feeling like this was gonna be a hiding to nothing. Only one wayto find out :D

[snip]

Ouch! One minute you're a rooster, the next you're a feather duster! I guess we can add to the list of "meaningless" anecdotes that support the supposed benefits of helmets in the event of an accident...

Next time!

Ritch

(Im later astounded how little damage it incurred).
BR lads are there already (HTF did they get there/know so quick?) and Im already starting to feel much better but Im guessin the shock is on its way.

D-Grade yelled out that there had been a crash

I've got a few photos of the BR guys, well mainly Dave B and Dutchy, a couple with Gags, Jaz, 1 with Hippy. Not sure how to put them on the web. My photography is about as good as my sprinting, and I didn't realise what setting I was using, so photos are about 2.2Mb each. Any suggestions??

flyingdutch wrote:
> Someone hands me my helmet which is split in half and missing the rear
> quarter! Lindz has checked my bike and says its basically OK
> (Im later astounded how little damage it incurred).
> BR lads are there already (HTF did they get there/know so quick?) and
> Im already starting to feel much better but Im guessin the shock is on
> its way.

The group called out there had been a crash and we were checking out if
there were any of the BR guys mssing. Then a couple went back to look,
when they didn't return we figured it must be you and a couple more
went. When they didn't return I started walking (stoopid flat tyre)
expecting to see ambulances and other assorted carnage. Very relieved to
see you upright and relatively unscathed apart from the helmet being
totally stuffed. Although I dare say you're gonna be a bit sore tomorrow.

DaveB

essendon93 said:
(Im later astounded how little damage it incurred).
BR lads are there already (HTF did they get there/know so quick?) and Im already starting to feel much better but Im guessin the shock is on its way.

D-Grade yelled out that there had been a crash

I've got a few photos of the BR guys, well mainly Dave B and Dutchy, a couple with Gags, Jaz, 1 with Hippy. Not sure how to put them on the web. My photography is about as good as my sprinting, and I didn't realise what setting I was using, so photos are about 2.2Mb each. Any suggestions??

Go into your photo editing application and resize the images to something more like 800x600. This should reduce their filesize... perhaps the real IT experts can tell us.

Ritch

DaveB said:
Although I dare say you're gonna be a bit sore tomorrow.

DaveB

too late!!!

just had big nap and woken up feeling like a big_stiff_sore_thing.
Got some 'taciderm'(?) stuff on my wounds tho that apparently makes em heal faster. About 3 people recommended i get some before i drove off.
Iwas feelin fine till that (helpful) marshall woman put that iodine stuff on.
It f^%$in hurt!

F"big_wooss"Dutch

ritcho said:
Ouch! One minute you're a rooster, the next you're a feather duster! I guess we can add to the list of "meaningless" anecdotes that support the supposed benefits of helmets in the event of an accident...

Next time!

Ritch

hope youre not suggestin anything anti-helmet there Ritch cos I woulda been a dead thing without it! kudos to Limar cos the helmet is in almost useable-state despite being almost ripped in half

F"nog, nog, noggin on heads door"Dutch

"flyingdutch" wrote ...

> After all the banter in the leadup i was feeling rather sceptical today
> was going to come to anything. I was feeling like this was gonna be a
> hiding to nothing. Only one wayto find out :D

<Snip>

Outch! Chicks dig scars

> PS where did everyone else finish up and who's race did i stuff up
> (sorry!)

Yeah what happened to the rest of you lot?

Parbs

Parbs wrote:

>>PS where did everyone else finish up and who's race did i stuff up
>>(sorry!)
>>

> Yeah what happened to the rest of you lot?
>
> Parbs

I remember it was looking pretty promising with a few laps to go with
Jazmo, Gags and Hippy all in the top 4, but Gags and Jazmo disappeared
down the back straight. Where did you end up Hippy?

DaveB

"essendon93" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> I've got a few photos of the BR guys, well mainly Dave B and Dutchy, a
> couple with Gags, Jaz, 1 with Hippy. Not sure how to put them on the
> web. My photography is about as good as my sprinting, and I didn't
> realise what setting I was using, so photos are about 2.2Mb each. Any
> suggestions??

<lame> just open them and resave them at jpeg.. 75-85% quality... that
should reduce them a bit.. depending on res</lame>

http://www.imageshack.ws/ has free image hosting, simple interface too...
might have size/res restrictions..

cheers,
GPL

flyingdutch said:
hope youre not suggestin anything anti-helmet there Ritch

[snip]

F"nog, nog, noggin on heads door"Dutch

Not at all - in fact, I'd be caught dead without one.

Ritch

"flyingdutch" wrote in message

> BR lads are there already (HTF did they get there/know so quick?) and
> Im already starting to feel much better but Im guessin the shock is on
> its way.

For some reason, as soon as I heard there had been a stack I took off in
that direction.. only to find you laying on your back.. arghh farrrkk! Lots
of people around making a fuss so I stood back.. Good to see you get up
with no major damage done.. pheww.. Another Limar life saving episode, that
thing blew apart..

Hope you have a quick recovery from the grazes etc.. and all the bumps to
the bike can be sorted without drama.. You have a good excuse for a no show
at BR44b tomorrow.. as for the rest of the bunch (+ others?), I expect to
see you at 7:20am :)

cheers,
GPL

GPLama wrote:

> Hope you have a quick recovery from the grazes etc.. and all the bumps to
> the bike can be sorted without drama.. You have a good excuse for a no show
> at BR44b tomorrow.. as for the rest of the bunch (+ others?), I expect to
> see you at 7:20am :)

I'll be there assuming no flat tyres. I picked up two new tubes on the
way home from Glenvale, but still can't find what caused the other two
punctures. One of the punctures was so small that in a bucket of water
the leak was only giving one bubble at a time rather than a stream of
the buggers.

I also had a GPLama moment with one of the new tubes. Pumping furiously
I stopped just in time to see the tyre had bubbled out from the rim.
Quickly dropped the pressure, reseated it and started again. Pump,pump,
pump, check tyre, pump, pump, pump check tyre, pump, pump BANG!!!! It
brought my wife out of the house thinking there'd been an explosion
(this was in the workshop under the house). I'll say one thing for a
tiled floor, sound really resonates off it. My ears were still ringing
10 mins later.

DaveB

GPLama said:
For some reason, as soon as I heard there had been a stack I took off in
that direction.. only to find you laying on your back.. arghh farrrkk! Lots
of people around making a fuss so I stood back.. Good to see you get up
with no major damage done.. pheww.. Another Limar life saving episode, that
thing blew apart..

Hope you have a quick recovery from the grazes etc.. and all the bumps to
the bike can be sorted without drama.. You have a good excuse for a no show
at BR44b tomorrow.. as for the rest of the bunch (+ others?), I expect to
see you at 7:20am :)

cheers,
GPL

did anyone see the woman whom apparently i took down with my stupidity?
wouldnt mind tracking her down and apologisin.
If she was behind me she musta been givin the other gals a hammering.
No doubt she's sittin in a loungeroom somehwer ein Melb cursing the idiot on the green bike :(

groan, everytime move now some bit of clothing rubs a graze, oucherama

F"debatin goin nude"Dutch

essendon93 wrote:
> D-Grade yelled out that there had been a crash
>
> I've got a few photos of the BR guys, well mainly Dave B and Dutchy, a
> couple with Gags, Jaz, 1 with Hippy. Not sure how to put them on the
> web. My photography is about as good as my sprinting, and I didn't
> realise what setting I was using, so photos are about 2.2Mb each. Any
> suggestions??

www.thehippy.net can host them if you want?

hippy

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> DaveB Wrote:
> >

> > Although I dare say you're gonna be a bit sore tomorrow.
> >
> > DaveB

> too late!!!
>
> just had big nap and woken up feeling like a big_stiff_sore_thing.
> Got some 'taciderm'(?) stuff on my wounds tho that apparently makes em
> heal faster. About 3 people recommended i get some before i drove off.
> Iwas feelin fine till that (helpful) marshall woman put that iodine
> stuff on.
> It f^%$in hurt!
>
> F"big_wooss"Dutch
>
> --
> flyingdutch

Arrgh ya big girl's blouse.....that was saline solution (although it was
quite funny when the said helpful old lady was bending over and putting the
saline on your knee and you had your fist clenched as if you are going to
crack her on the head :)

Seriously though.....I think you were pretty lucky in the end given the
state of your helmet.....surely the scratches to the bike will mean that you
have to get a new one??

Ride On,

Gags

flyingdutch wrote:

> I hit my left pedal HARD, but its OK, its just 'uprighted me'!
> Oh no. Im still going to my right :eek: Im going down....

It's funny what you think in that instant...

> So, after all that, many grazes (actually i have been bloody lucky
> considering what speed and how hard i hit!), sore neck and abs (yes,
> abs! go figure. didnt even know i had any???) and scratched bike.

No broken bones at least. Hope you're getting lots of sympathy at
home... Just think about the money you now have to spend on
upgrades^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hrepairs...

Heal fast
--
BrettS

Parbs wrote:
> Yeah what happened to the rest of you lot?

I'm kinda writing the race report on my blog.. it might be finished one
day..

Basically Jaz and Gags did a SUPERB effort to get me to third wheel on
the last corner. From there I tried going around 2nd wheel but I just
didn't have enough power!!! Arrr!!! 10-20m out two guys come storming in
to take 3rd and 4th from me.. so I don't have ANY beer money to share
with the boys :(
Actually, I'll try and make Goat on Friday so if you lads wanna rock
up.. and FD? - cure for your headache? :)

It wasn't the win I wanted but the race plan went down SWEET - where
were you guys for the last 6 months!!!! I coulda easily been in B grade
by now hahaha :D

I still had a mad race dudes!! I'm super pumped STILL!!! :D:D:D

I actually listened to a triathlete and hydrated WITH Staminade so it
wasn't "Zombie Sunday" for once!!! Soz Carl.. the price you pay for
ignoring the coach is indeed harsh.. :)

So yeah, thanks to everyone who was down there, racing or not, I had a
fscking cool day! Proper race report will follow.. eventually.. ;)

hyperhippy

DaveB wrote:
> I remember it was looking pretty promising with a few laps to go with
> Jazmo, Gags and Hippy all in the top 4, but Gags and Jazmo disappeared
> down the back straight. Where did you end up Hippy?

See other post.. they set me up sweet and I let the team down.. :p
Check the results and make sure the top four aren't all B-grade haha :p

hyperhippy

"DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Parbs wrote:
> >
> >>PS where did everyone else finish up and who's race did i stuff up
> >>(sorry!)
> >>

> > Yeah what happened to the rest of you lot?
> >
> > Parbs

> I remember it was looking pretty promising with a few laps to go with
> Jazmo, Gags and Hippy all in the top 4, but Gags and Jazmo disappeared
> down the back straight. Where did you end up Hippy?
>
> DaveB

As Dutchy said, I think most of us were a bit confused when the "3 laps to
go" was called at the 47 min mark of what was supposed to be 55min +3laps.
I was in about 20th or so and decided that I needed to get closer to the
front. I started moving up the right hand side on the back straight and
then saw that Hippy was at about 10th or so and had moved out into the wind
on the right as well.

I put in pretty hard to go past Hippy on the right and told him to "Jump on
my wheel Hip" as I went through (couldn't leave the a.b sprinter out in the
breeze for too long). I started moving up to the front and then Jazmo goes
past me on the right and tells me to grab onto his wheel. I had to
accelerate again and just managed to grab on to Jazmo's wheel. Soon after
this, we go around the corner at the end of the back straight and I hear a
crash behind me (turns out it was Dutch) but we all keep going.

Once we were back in the home straight, I had a quick look and saw that
Hippy had lost my wheel but was lurking with intent about two behind me.
Jazmo put the hammer down and I was sucking hard just trying to stay on his
wheel.....all the while hoping like hell that Hippy would hang on and come
out in a good position for the sprint.

I think Jazmo tried to call me through for a turn at the front but the body
wasn't responding and it was all I could do not to let him get away from me.
We stayed out in front as 1,2 right up until the second last corner and then
we both sat up (too many shouts of "hold your line" as we coasted through
the corner). As the pack went past us, we saw that Hippy was about 3rd
wheel and looking good for the final sprint.

By the time Jazmo and I came round the last corner, we got to see the last
50m or so of the sprint at the other end of the straight. We later found
out that Hippy came 5th......so close yet so far.

We cruised down the straight and then I put on a burst for the last 10m and
finished in front of Jazmo with my arms in the air (unfortunately, the BR
guys with the camera had already gone to see how Dutchy was!!!).

Overall, it was a much quicker pace than I was expecting right from the
start (39.5 km/h average after cruising for a lap at the end of the race).
I was hurting pretty bad for the last couple of laps of pushing the pace at
the front and next time I reckon I will try to hang on a bit longer and have
a crack at the sprint.

Things to do differently for crits next year:

Choose a wheel and stick with it (spent too much time out in the breeze).

Don't be so nice to guys trying to push back into the line of riders (no-one
was letting me back in but I was letting plenty in)

Get Jazmo to put on some kilos so that he pushes more air out of the way!!!!