RR: Good Evening, Gentlemen Campers!

Paladin

Guest
The Tuesday Night Barney Rides are quite the institution now. We've
even been written up in the newspaper, and have been mentioned in
other riding forums. These please everyone all the time rides were
originally intended to introduce new riders to mountainbiking. Just
call me Father Goose.

But my buddies and better riders and other friends show up, too, (even
the pro team of Flip and Barbie, just for the laughs and social time)
so we can split the ride up and add hard sections for the better
riders, and keep it clean and easy for the newbs.

We welcomed 4 first timers tonight. One brave new female (her first
time on dirt!), and 3 guys. Add our 4 or 5 ole boring regulars, and we
had quite the gaggle.

Clear as a bell, 80degrees, and the conditions were perfect. Recent
rains left the trails just slightly tacky and kept the dust down.

I led for a couple miles on the singlespeed, then at an intersection
we played leap frog and I took sweep. I felt strong, having worked
myself hard at rosstraining.com, and the newbs did great. Musta been
sandbagging on other rides or something.

Lots of idiots out without helmets and shirts. One particularly
ironic moment was this arrogant young male appendage that passed our
group with not so much as a word or courtesy, not wearing a helmet,
and we found him stacked up just 50 yards ahead. I tried to reason
with the young gentelman regarding his lack of a helmet, but he was
not about to listen to me, an old Coot.

To make a story of a great ride short, we all made it back to the
park, and by the time the final stragglers came in, I had the babyq
going and hotdogs, hamburgers, chips, salsa and beer for all.

By the end, we had a few hotdogs left over so we offered them to some
homeless dudes resting their overworked bones in the park. I
sauntered up, and enthusiastically greeted them, "Good Evening,
Gentlemen Campers! Would you like some hotdogs?!" They graciously
accepted and blessed us sincerely.

I love summer. What a dandy time.

CDB
King of the Barneys

On Jun 13, 12:17 am, Paladin <[email protected]> wrote:

> Lots of idiots out without helmets and shirts. One particularly
> ironic moment was this arrogant young male appendage that passed our
> group with not so much as a word or courtesy, not wearing a helmet,
> and we found him stacked up just 50 yards ahead. I tried to reason
> with the young gentelman regarding his lack of a helmet, but he was
> not about to listen to me, an old Coot.

I have given up lecturing people about helmets. It's just a losing
proposition. On our ride last weekend, we were sitting at the
trailhead enjoying some BEvERages at the end of a splendid ride, and
these two guys came up and started chatting with us. They were both on
brand-new $2500 bikes, not a speck of dust on them, and wearing cotton
shorts and T-shirts and hiking boots, riding with BMX pedals. No
helmets, no gloves. I just smiled and told them to have a nice ride.

I have a neighbor who has an old beater bike. She came by while my
wife and I were working on the MTBs in the front yard, and we helped
her lube up and adjust her bike, and told her where to go and what to
ask for to get a decent set of new tires. She's thrilled. She rides it
all over town for her errands. We see her pedaling up the street all
the time now. Sans helmet. We plan to give her one of the wife's old
helmets, but I don't see a huge sense of urgency. She's happy as a kid
on that bike. No point in being a buzzkill.

Actually, I do occasionally lecture people about gloves. I would go
helmetless before I would ever go gloveless. All it takes is one
afternoon spent digging gravel out of your palms with a needle and
tweezers, and you're a convert.

CC

Paladin wrote:
<snip>

> Lots of idiots out without helmets and shirts. One particularly
> ironic moment was this arrogant young male appendage that passed our
> group with not so much as a word or courtesy, not wearing a helmet,
> and we found him stacked up just 50 yards ahead. I tried to reason
> with the young gentelman regarding his lack of a helmet, but he was
> not about to listen to me, an old Coot.

Ha. Natural selection in action!

<snip>
> By the end, we had a few hotdogs left over so we offered them to some
> homeless dudes resting their overworked bones in the park. I
> sauntered up, and enthusiastically greeted them, "Good Evening,
> Gentlemen Campers! Would you like some hotdogs?!" They graciously
> accepted and blessed us sincerely.

That's great. You're a good man.

Matt

Corvus Corvax wrote:
> On Jun 13, 12:17 am, Paladin <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Lots of idiots out without helmets and shirts. One particularly
>> ironic moment was this arrogant young male appendage that passed our
>> group with not so much as a word or courtesy, not wearing a helmet,
>> and we found him stacked up just 50 yards ahead. I tried to reason
>> with the young gentelman regarding his lack of a helmet, but he was
>> not about to listen to me, an old Coot.

> I have given up lecturing people about helmets.

Good. I trust my helmet as much as I trust Bush.

> It's just a losing
> proposition. On our ride last weekend, we were sitting at the
> trailhead enjoying some BEvERages at the end of a splendid ride, and
> these two guys came up and started chatting with us. They were both on
> brand-new $2500 bikes, not a speck of dust on them, and wearing cotton
> shorts and T-shirts and hiking boots, riding with BMX pedals. No
> helmets, no gloves. I just smiled and told them to have a nice ride.
>
> I have a neighbor who has an old beater bike. She came by while my
> wife and I were working on the MTBs in the front yard, and we helped
> her lube up and adjust her bike, and told her where to go and what to
> ask for to get a decent set of new tires. She's thrilled. She rides it
> all over town for her errands. We see her pedaling up the street all
> the time now. Sans helmet. We plan to give her one of the wife's old
> helmets, but I don't see a huge sense of urgency. She's happy as a kid
> on that bike. No point in being a buzzkill.
>
> Actually, I do occasionally lecture people about gloves.

The one time I forgot my gloves I crashed on the road and ended up with
chunks of asphalt in the palms of my hand. In the 27 years since I
haven't forgotten them once. If I'm riding a bike with clipless pedals
there are three things I make sure I have, shoes, gloves, and glasses.

Greg

--
The ticketbastard Tax Tracker:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

SNIP

> Actually, I do occasionally lecture people about gloves. I would go
> helmetless before I would ever go gloveless. All it takes is one
> afternoon spent digging gravel out of your palms with a needle and
> tweezers, and you're a convert.
>
> CC

You & I agree about the glove VS helmet importance. Gloves can enable
you to save your head from bashing, a helmet can't save your hands...