RR: got caught (photos too)

MattB

Guest
I had a couple of goals for the day yesterday. One was to mow both the front
and back lawns and the other was to ride.

I mowed the back lawn in the morning after watching the boy for a while so
MrsB could get her ride fix in (she's overcome her fears of finding dead
guys and is riding Hartman's again - yay!). Then it rained for a while so I
couldn't get to the front lawn. I worked on some things around the house and
it seemed to clear up. MrsB had to go to the store, so I hung with the boy
again and I saw the skies clear up a bit. I did as much getting ready as I
can with a curious little guy in tow and then made the final prep as MrsB
returned.
There was a nasty looking black cloud approaching as the drops were
beginning to fall as I left the house on the SS. I could see a hole in the
clouds over the South side of Hartman's where it was sunny, so I tried to go
there as fast as I could. It wasn't fast enough to outrun the edge of the
system heading for town and I got thoroughly soaked and then hailed on on my
way out, but as I predicted it was nice on the South side (Bambi's trail
entrance). I looked back toward town before I started climbing the single
track and saw it was totally engulfed by a very mean looking and dark storm.
No sense in heading back now, I might as well enjoy this while I can. I
climbed Bambi's (had to walk one section that the SS doesn't give me enough
spin for) and enjoyed the sun. It dried me out almost completely when I was
at the top of the climb. I could now see a similarly nasty system coming my
way (it all comes from the West) and another hole in the clouds toward the
Southwest part of Hartman's, so I picked a route that I could connect a
couple of nice singletracks together and stay relatively low (there was
lightning here and there) and end up in the next hole in the clouds.
Skirting the meat of the storms, I managed to get a pretty good ride in. The
traction was great and I was cleaning everything, and riding really fast to
try and stay clear of the wrath of mother nature. The last piece of my
traverse was a trail called the Luge and I approached it I noticed the
ground here was a lot wetter than elsewhere. This area had just gotten quite
a bit of rain. The soil is very sandy, so usually it's all still ridable
after rain. I continued on and as I started down the DH, I felt the ground
feeling very saturated under my wheels and I could feel some rain falling.
My hole in the clouds was closing up and it was black behind and to either
side of me. Then I started seeing little streams of water coming in from the
sides of the trail. These grew and suddenly there were little creeks coming
in, and the trail had become a river. I kept riding, and the lightning was
getting a little closer than I'm comfortable with. The rain was pouring down
now and the trail had become about 1' deep, flowing in the same direction I
was going. Every now and then I'd ride through a dip and it was over my
hubs. I was riding in a flash flood! I managed to get to the end of this
section and got on to some road that only had an occasional flood crossing
it. I made my way back out to the paved road and spun home as the clouds
broke up and the sun returned.
When I came to the door to hand over my phone before hosing myself and bike
off, MrsB had to snap a couple of photos. Now, keep in mind that photos make
steep things seem flatter, and apparently muddy things seem cleaner. I was
really muddy and am still finding grit in my hair today (two showers later).

http://mattb.net/images/2004-08/muddy_full.JPG
http://mattb.net/images/2004-08/muddy_face.jpg
http://mattb.net/images/2004-08/muddy_feet.jpg

I was prepared for some rain, but not so much for the flooding. At least it
never got deeper than a foot or two. I think I may need to do some hub
rebuilding soon...

Matt

-snip-
> When I came to the door to hand over my phone before hosing myself and

bike
> off, MrsB had to snap a couple of photos. Now, keep in mind that photos

make
> steep things seem flatter, and apparently muddy things seem cleaner. I was
> really muddy and am still finding grit in my hair today (two showers

later).

> http://mattb.net/images/2004-08/muddy_full.JPG
> http://mattb.net/images/2004-08/muddy_face.jpg
> http://mattb.net/images/2004-08/muddy_feet.jpg
>
> I was prepared for some rain, but not so much for the flooding. At least

it
> never got deeper than a foot or two. I think I may need to do some hub
> rebuilding soon...
>
> Matt

A pic of your bike would have been better.lol

AC 1 wrote:
> -snip-
>> When I came to the door to hand over my phone before hosing myself
>> and bike off, MrsB had to snap a couple of photos. Now, keep in mind
>> that photos make steep things seem flatter, and apparently muddy
>> things seem cleaner. I was really muddy and am still finding grit in
>> my hair today (two showers later).
>>
>> http://mattb.net/images/2004-08/muddy_full.JPG
>> http://mattb.net/images/2004-08/muddy_face.jpg
>> http://mattb.net/images/2004-08/muddy_feet.jpg
>>
>> I was prepared for some rain, but not so much for the flooding. At
>> least it never got deeper than a foot or two. I think I may need to
>> do some hub rebuilding soon...
>>
>> Matt
>>

> A pic of your bike would have been better.lol

I have one but it doesn't do it justice. The mud just isn't that sticky at
Hartman's.

On 2004-08-23, MattB penned:

> I was prepared for some rain, but not so much for the flooding. At least it
> never got deeper than a foot or two. I think I may need to do some hub
> rebuilding soon...

Nice RR. What's up with all this rain? I hope we're at least making a dent
in the drought conditions. Speaking of which, do you know of a web resource
where one could look up water tables and such? I came up empty searching on
"boulder colorado water table" in google.

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> On 2004-08-23, MattB penned:
>>
>> I was prepared for some rain, but not so much for the flooding. At
>> least it never got deeper than a foot or two. I think I may need to
>> do some hub rebuilding soon...

> Nice RR. What's up with all this rain? I hope we're at least making
> a dent in the drought conditions. Speaking of which, do you know of
> a web resource where one could look up water tables and such? I came
> up empty searching on "boulder colorado water table" in google.

look on the state hydrology pages, river flows, stream gauges etc. Other
places to look are aquifer, water resource management and so on

I could post the links for Idaho and Washington but that wouldnt do you much
good.

Penny "married to a hydrogeologist" S

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> On 2004-08-23, MattB penned:
>>
>> I was prepared for some rain, but not so much for the flooding. At
>> least it never got deeper than a foot or two. I think I may need to
>> do some hub rebuilding soon...

> Nice RR. What's up with all this rain? I hope we're at least making
> a dent in the drought conditions. Speaking of which, do you know of
> a web resource where one could look up water tables and such? I came
> up empty searching on "boulder colorado water table" in google.

It's really weird. I've not seen a summer like this in my 15 years here.
My lawn is the greenest it's ever been. And I actually have to cut it!
I get rained and hailed on fairly regularly, but this year's volume of water
and frequency is more like back when I lived in Southern Michigan.

For river flows I like this site:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/co/nwis

For weather I like this one:
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/gjt/

Not sure about water tables, but they might be in one of those sites
somewhere.

Matt

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> On 2004-08-23, MattB penned:
>
>>I was prepared for some rain, but not so much for the flooding. At least it
>>never got deeper than a foot or two. I think I may need to do some hub
>>rebuilding soon...

> Nice RR. What's up with all this rain? I hope we're at least making a dent
> in the drought conditions. Speaking of which, do you know of a web resource
> where one could look up water tables and such? I came up empty searching on
> "boulder colorado water table" in google.

Here are good places to start
http://weather.gov/rivers_tab.php
http://www.co.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/data/current.html
As for the "drought", the water buffaloes won't declare it over until
all of the reservoirs in the state (Colorado BTW) are at or above there
normal capacity for any particular time of year *and* precipitation is
at or above normal. Any year with below 30 year average ppt is either
"exceptionally dry" or a drought year.
"Standard deviation? What's that?"
Also, apparently any ppt that doesn't fall as snow, doesn't count. The
Ark valley has had a normal year ppt-wise (96%-which may be above the
normal anticipated for the future see below) but since the snow pack was
80 something percent, its an "Exceptionally dry" year. Sheeze!
I find this graph interesting:
http://www.co.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/data/basinplotark04.html
Note the recent melt out dates. Looks like it could be a trend.
A weather phenomenon in the Pacific is believed to have "switched gears"
(Western Pacific Oscillation) as it normally does every 25 or so years.
This causes drier winters in CO due to a change in the prevailing
jet-stream/storm track, so it'll probably be a bit drier for years to
come. But don't tell the developers, they won't hear you anyway.
One other thing, DIA is further out on the drier plains than Stapleton
Airport was (the east edge of my old 'hood). This results in a
reporting artifact in current vs. past climate history in temp., ppt,
humidity, and tornadoes. ;-)

Shawn
The weather info is an aviation thing BTW. We all think we're better
than the weather guys.

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:30:00 -0600, Monique Y. Mudama
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On 2004-08-23, MattB penned:
>>
>> I was prepared for some rain, but not so much for the flooding. At
>> least it
>> never got deeper than a foot or two. I think I may need to do some hub
>> rebuilding soon...

> Nice RR. What's up with all this rain? I hope we're at least making a
> dent
> in the drought conditions. Speaking of which, do you know of a web
> resource
> where one could look up water tables and such? I came up empty
> searching on
> "boulder colorado water table" in google.

All that rain stuff better quit within the next few weeks. I don't want to
be crossing the Rockies in the middle of a squall.

--
Slacker

--
Slacker

MattB wrote:
> [...]
> hubs. I was riding in a flash flood! I managed to get to the end of this
> section and got on to some road that only had an occasional flood crossing
> it. I made my way back out to the paved road and spun home as the clouds
> broke up and the sun returned.
> When I came to the door to hand over my phone before hosing myself and bike
> off, MrsB had to snap a couple of photos. Now, keep in mind that photos make
> steep things seem flatter, and apparently muddy things seem cleaner. I was
> really muddy and am still finding grit in my hair today (two showers later).
>
> http://mattb.net/images/2004-08/muddy_full.JPG
> http://mattb.net/images/2004-08/muddy_face.jpg
> http://mattb.net/images/2004-08/muddy_feet.jpg
>
> I was prepared for some rain, but not so much for the flooding. At least it
> never got deeper than a foot or two. I think I may need to do some hub

Hey Matt, wanna some real mud?

Check this:
http://tabla.xenya.si/gallery/KranjskaGora2dan/DSC_6378
http://tabla.xenya.si/gallery/KranjskaGora2dan/DSC_6388
http://tabla.xenya.si/gallery/KranjskaGora2dan/DSC_6393
http://tabla.xenya.si/gallery/KranjskaGora2dan/DSC_6426

All photos:

Slacker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<opsdc9t5nqm83lxu@slacker>...
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 23:37:12 +0200, FeltnA <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hey Matt, wanna some real mud?
> >
> > Check this:
> > http://tabla.xenya.si/gallery/KranjskaGora2dan/DSC_6378
> > http://tabla.xenya.si/gallery/KranjskaGora2dan/DSC_6388
> > http://tabla.xenya.si/gallery/KranjskaGora2dan/DSC_6393
> > http://tabla.xenya.si/gallery/KranjskaGora2dan/DSC_6426
> >

> > All photos:
> > http://tabla.xenya.si/gallery/KranjskaGora2dan

> Hey, how come they're not all wet
> http://tabla.xenya.si/gallery/KranjskaGora2dan/DSC_6391

I don't know, but I think I am...

/s

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]

> it. I made my way back out to the paved road and spun home as the clouds
> broke up and the sun returned.
> When I came to the door to hand over my phone before hosing myself and

bike
> off, MrsB had to snap a couple of photos. Now, keep in mind that photos

make
> steep things seem flatter, and apparently muddy things seem cleaner. I was
> really muddy and am still finding grit in my hair today (two showers

later).

> http://mattb.net/images/2004-08/muddy_full.JPG
> http://mattb.net/images/2004-08/muddy_face.jpg
> http://mattb.net/images/2004-08/muddy_feet.jpg
>
> I was prepared for some rain, but not so much for the flooding. At least

it
> never got deeper than a foot or two. I think I may need to do some hub

You people in Gunniburg.........You need some bentonite to stick on your
bike. You'll be walking in no time. Sounds like a good ride though. You
night riding yet? Check the photo below. You may remember that ride. I
think you were on the JD Death march. I missed that one. He he
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=49925

TJ
www.gvii.net/hundtoft