RR: Great MTB weekend in Richmond VA

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Michael Dart, Apr 7, 2003.

  1. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    I had scheduled this last weekend for group rides to kickoff my bringing MORE (Mid-Atlantic Off Road
    Enthusiasts) to Richmond on Saturday and Sunday. Friday I received a email from my friend Mark that
    we were getting visitors from West Virginia, the famous Jr expert DH'er and Snowshoe resident Mikey
    "Swiss" Valach and J-Rod (who is a national junior snowboard champion and beginner DH'er). The rides
    were piling up!

    Saturday morning began with a freeride session at Forest Hill Park. Mikey and J-Rod each had new
    bikes to try out, a SC V-10 and Giant Team DH respectively. Mikey is a very smooth rider and I
    learned a lot from him on some lines we had worked out at the park. Mark had the idea to show Mikey
    a very technical chute on the west end of Bells Island (in the middle of the James River downtown)
    so we all rode over there. As we did it started raining which gave the WV boys an instant advantage.
    Mikey sized up the chute. His first line which lined him up better for a turn forced him to pull up
    hard over a hole and overshoot the turn. The second attempt he took a smoother but tighter line
    inside the drop. He then did a trackstand and a hop to get the bike pointed the right way and
    continued down over the rocks to a final wheelie drop off the last rock. Sweet. There is a smoother
    drop next to it about 8 feet tall. ( I can roll it easily on my XC bike) Mikey decides to launch off
    the lip and land flat at the bottom. OW! But the V-10 sucks it up well.

    I left them at about 11:30 to go to the group ride at Pocahontas SP. Six other riders showed up but
    the Northern VA MORE guys didn't show up because of a line of T-storms they saw on Weather Channel
    radar. What they didn't know they had already blown through and the sun came out again. We had a
    great ride. The rain had made the trails perfectly tacky with excellent traction to rail the
    corners. The few spots that had been muddy from the winter had been packed down smooth again. Kind
    of self healing trails. ;^) It is actually a tribute to the care we used installing the trails to
    avoid trouble spots.

    Saturday evening about 7 I took Mikey and J-Rod out for an urban night ride. A couple of other local
    friends made it too. We hit the various highlights of Richmond City riding starting off with some
    warm-up wall drops at Tredegar, going up to the "white walls" which are some slightly slanted
    concrete retaining walls with a transition built up to them by some BMX'ers. You can ride the wall
    for about 15 feet. Or you can ride up to the top of the wall and drop in back to the parking lot. We
    then went down to Kanawa plaza to jump the set of 8 steps and ride some of the walls.

    Sunday's group ride was small. My friend Richard and Steve (who I sold my LTS to), Mike from
    northern VA and myself. Steve is a hoot, a total newbie who isn't afraid to try anything. I could
    just listen to him yelling and tell exactly what he was going over. He endo'ed several times, it
    seems he couldn't get the timing quite right on his bunny hops. We just finished the "beginner" and
    "intermediate" loops when we ran into this total poser, John Harlow. Sheesh you think you know a guy
    from AM-B and he turns out to be this Barney on a rusted Huffy. Hehehe...just kidding. He really
    rides a nice Giant NRS1 and has a fine GF to ride with. We finished out the "expert" loop with them.
    It was good to finally meet you John.

    I think if I had scheduled one more ride I would've found all by belongings in the front yard soaked
    with motor oil when I got home. ;^)

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > I had scheduled this last weekend for group rides to kickoff my bringing MORE (Mid-Atlantic Off
    > Road Enthusiasts) to Richmond on Saturday and Sunday. Friday I received a email from my friend
    > Mark that we were getting visitors from West Virginia, the famous Jar expert DH'er and Snowshoe
    > resident Mikey "Swiss" Valach and J-Rod (who is a national junior snowboard champion and beginner
    > DH'er). The rides were piling up!

    <snip>

    > I think if I had scheduled one more ride I would've found all by belongings in the front yard
    > soaked with motor oil when I got home. ;^)
    >
    > Mike

    Very nice RR, but no pix with a famous DH'er in the group?? Shame on you!
    --
    Slacker

  3. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > I had scheduled this last weekend for group rides to kickoff my bringing MORE (Mid-Atlantic Off
    > > Road Enthusiasts) to Richmond on Saturday and
    Sunday.
    > > Friday I received a email from my friend Mark that we were getting
    visitors
    > > from West Virginia, the famous Jar expert DH'er and Snowshoe resident
    Mikey
    > > "Swiss" Valach and J-Rod (who is a national junior snowboard champion
    and
    > > beginner DH'er). The rides were piling up!
    > >
    > <snip>
    > >
    > > I think if I had scheduled one more ride I would've found all by
    belongings
    > > in the front yard soaked with motor oil when I got home. ;^)
    > >
    > > Mike
    >

    > Very nice RR, but no pix with a famous DH'er in the group?? Shame on you!
    > --
    > Slacker

    Sorry, we we're too busy ridin' and sucking down Dew to take any pictures. ;^)

    Mike

  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    > I had scheduled this last weekend for group rides to kickoff my bringing MORE (Mid-Atlantic Off
    > Road Enthusiasts) to Richmond on Saturday and
    Sunday.
    > Friday I received a email from my friend Mark that we were getting
    visitors
    > from West Virginia, the famous Jr expert DH'er and Snowshoe resident Mikey "Swiss" Valach and
    > J-Rod (who is a national junior snowboard champion and beginner DH'er). The rides were piling up!

    Nice report, Michael. I've been wanting to get together with MORE for a while (I live just east of
    Annapolis) but haven't really pursued
    it...between work, college, and my weekend LBS wrenching I don't get a lot of time. However, if
    there are any local-to-MD trail maintenance days or nice rides coming up, I'd love to help out/do
    my part/ride my bike. Let me know, and I'll try to lend a hand.

    Chris

  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I had scheduled this last weekend for group rides to kickoff my bringing MORE (Mid-Atlantic Off
    > > Road Enthusiasts) to Richmond on Saturday and
    > Sunday.
    > > Friday I received a email from my friend Mark that we were getting
    > visitors
    > > from West Virginia, the famous Jr expert DH'er and Snowshoe resident
    Mikey
    > > "Swiss" Valach and J-Rod (who is a national junior snowboard champion
    and
    > > beginner DH'er). The rides were piling up!
    > >

    > Nice report, Michael. I've been wanting to get together with MORE for a while (I live just east of
    > Annapolis) but haven't really pursued
    > it...between work, college, and my weekend LBS wrenching I don't get a lot of time. However, if
    > there are any local-to-MD trail maintenance days or nice rides coming up, I'd love to help
    > out/do my part/ride my bike. Let
    me
    > know, and I'll try to lend a hand.
    >
    > Chris

    I'm a bit south of MD area. Check http://www.more-mtb.org for trail maintenance and rides in
    your area.

    Mike

  6. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    Hey Michael,

    It was good to have finally met you. Suzanne and I had a great time riding with you guys. Your
    friends were definitely entertaining..

    Looking forward to "MORE" rides!

  7. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    [snip]

    >We just finished the "beginner" and "intermediate" loops when we ran into this total poser, John
    >Harlow. Sheesh you think you know a guy from AM-B and he turns out to be this Barney on a rusted
    >Huffy. Hehehe...just kidding. He really rides a nice Giant NRS1 and has a fine GF to ride with. We
    >finished out the "expert" loop with them. It was good to finally meet you John.

    Nice RR, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the
    mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]