RR: Hall Ranch

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 at 04:12 GMT, Anthony Sloan penned:
>
> And GOSH it was a nice day here in the Front Range.
>

I couldn't tell from inside my cube farm =/

--
monique PLEASE don't CC me. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top. Whatever it takes, just don't
CC me! I'm already subscribed!!

Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in news:vrlrg0oetl5g33 @corp.supernews.com:

> A few pics from today's ride.
>
> Notable in that I actually rode with some folks for a change. All of the little ride nuances
> were there:
>
> "You go first" "No YOU go on" Smak talk. While riding. Someone to talk to while fixing a flat.
>
>
> http://www.anthonysloan.com/hall/hr01.jpg
>
> http://www.anthonysloan.com/hall/hro2.jpg
>
> http://www.anthonysloan.com/hall/hr03.jpg
>
> http://www.anthonysloan.com/hall/hr04.jpg
>

Those are some seriously cool snow plumes coming off of Longs......

-S.S.-

Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 at 04:12 GMT, Anthony Sloan penned:
>>
>> And GOSH it was a nice day here in the Front Range.
>>
>
> I couldn't tell from inside my cube farm =/

That's exactly why I'm not an engineer any more. Long live the outdoors.

Gary

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 at 15:14 GMT, GeeDubb penned:
> Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 at 04:12 GMT, Anthony Sloan penned:
>>>
>>> And GOSH it was a nice day here in the Front Range.
>>>
>>
>> I couldn't tell from inside my cube farm =/
>
> That's exactly why I'm not an engineer any more. Long live the outdoors.
>

Indeed. I need the engineering payola to balance out my "juvenile stupidity" loans, though. And to
be honest, while every job has its downsides, I do love fiddling with computers. And at my current
job, I even get to launch my code into space. How cool is that?

But I still hate cubes. Sure do miss the shared office I had at my old job ...

--
monique PLEASE don't CC me. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top. Whatever it takes, just don't

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 21:12:35 -0700, Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:

>A few pics from today's ride.
>
>Notable in that I actually rode with some folks for a change. All of the little ride nuances
>were there:
>
>"You go first" "No YOU go on" Smak talk. While riding. Someone to talk to while fixing a flat.
>
>
>http://www.anthonysloan.com/hall/hr01.jpg

Rivals some of JD's pics, very nice indeed!

>
>http://www.anthonysloan.com/hall/hro2.jpg
>
>http://www.anthonysloan.com/hall/hr03.jpg
>
>http://www.anthonysloan.com/hall/hr04.jpg
>
>And GOSH it was a nice day here in the Front Range.
>
>A

Peace, Bill ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to bring them all and
on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...

"Monique Y. Herman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 at 01:23 GMT, Stephen Baker penned:
> > Monique says:
> >
> >
> >>Indeed. I need the engineering payola to balance out my "juvenile stupidity" loans, though. And
> >>to be honest, while every job has its downsides, I do love fiddling with computers.
> >
> > Why you puter jockeys call yourselves "engineers" is quite beyond me. Authors, maybe....
> >
> > ;-)
> >
> > Steve "hard engineering, baby!"
> >
> ><Hi, Sorni...>
>
> I agree with you fully, my current job title notwithstanding. In my own brain, I'm a "software
> developer," or on really good days, maybe an "aspiring software system architect." Actually, I
> never called myself an engineer till I started this job, and it's only recently I've said it
> without feeling a twinge of guilt ... the guilt is probably a good indicator that "engineer"
> simply isn't appropriate.
>

My title is software developer too. More appropriate I think. It's not all just cranking out
code either.

> I was taught software design principles in school. I was never taught how to wire anything
> together, nor how to build anything in the physical world. There wasn't even an engineering school
> at my college!
>

I got an art degree in college.

> "Author" isn't bad. My brother likes to repeat a saying something to the effect of, "I'm an
> artist, only instead of drawing lines with a pen, I write lines of code."
>

Kind of my angle too, but I don't tell the suits. It freaks 'em out.

Matt (wishing I could ride or something. - been nice here too - and cold)

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:26:57 -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:

> And at my current job, I even get to launch my code into space. How cool is that?

Lets see...launches code into space...Bay Area (IIRC)...I bet we have a few common friends (or
acquaintences at least; they'd be network geeks so you software geeks prolly don't want to call them
friends :).

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least) "It's a shallow life that
doesn't give a person a few scars" - Garrison Keillor

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 at 04:37 GMT, MattB penned:
>
>> "Author" isn't bad. My brother likes to repeat a saying something to the effect of, "I'm an
>> artist, only instead of drawing lines with a pen, I write lines of code."
>>
>
> Kind of my angle too, but I don't tell the suits. It freaks 'em out.

Well, it's the suits' job to make a creative process look like an assembly process. Any reminders
that the process of creation is, *gasp*, creative freaks them out.

> Matt (wishing I could ride or something. - been nice here too - and cold)

You had something medical done recently, right? Forgive my faulty memory.

I need to go get myself some long pant type things so that I can ride in the cold. My fiance wears
lined tights over his padded shorts; he says this has the benefit of allowing him to remove a layer
if it gets too hot. It seems kind of sketchy to me, but on the other hand, such pants could do
double duty under my ski pants, too. My current method of wearing cut-off sweatpants for skiing is
... non-ideal.

--

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 at 04:50 GMT, BB penned:
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:26:57 -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>
>> And at my current job, I even get to launch my code into space. How cool is that?
>
> Lets see...launches code into space...Bay Area (IIRC)...I bet we have a few common friends (or
> acquaintences at least; they'd be network geeks so you software geeks prolly don't want to call
> them friends
> :).
>

Nope, not in the bay area. Not that I don't have network geek friends in California; they're just
all unemployed.

--

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

<snip>
> I need to go get myself some long pant type things so that I can ride in the cold. My fiance wears
> lined tights over his padded shorts; he says this has the benefit of allowing him to remove a
> layer if it gets too hot. It seems kind of sketchy to me, but on the other hand, such pants could
> do double duty under my ski pants, too. My current method of wearing cut-off sweatpants for skiing
> is ... non-ideal.
>

Tights over shorts is the way I go, too. He's right. Not only can you peel off a layer if
it gets too warm, you also get to peel off most of the dirt before you drive home. Make
sure they fit right through, especially through the seat, lest ye suffer the dreaded
crotch bungee.

Kathleen

> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 at 04:37 GMT, MattB penned:
> >
> >> "Author" isn't bad. My brother likes to repeat a saying something to the effect of, "I'm an
> >> artist, only instead of drawing lines with a pen, I write lines of code."
> >>
> >
> > Kind of my angle too, but I don't tell the suits. It freaks 'em out.
>
> Well, it's the suits' job to make a creative process look like an assembly process. Any reminders
> that the process of creation is, *gasp*, creative freaks them out.
>
> > Matt (wishing I could ride or something. - been nice here too - and cold)
>
> You had something medical done recently, right? Forgive my faulty memory.
>

Shoulder surgery. It went pretty well. I'll post an update soon.

> I need to go get myself some long pant type things so that I can ride in the cold. My fiance wears
> lined tights over his padded shorts; he says this has the benefit of allowing him to remove a
> layer if it gets too hot. It seems kind of sketchy to me, but on the other hand, such pants could
> do double duty under my ski pants, too. My current method of wearing cut-off sweatpants for skiing
> is ... non-ideal.
>

I have some tights like that and they are nice when it's really cold. I also have some leggings -
just legs that I can add to shorts. Those are great when it's not that cold or to just have in the
packin case it gets cold while I'm out in shorts.

Matt

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 at 05:07 GMT, Kathleen penned:
> Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>
><snip>
>> I need to go get myself some long pant type things so that I can ride in the cold. My fiance
>> wears lined tights over his padded shorts; he says this has the benefit of allowing him to remove
>> a layer if it gets too hot. It seems kind of sketchy to me, but on the other hand, such pants
>> could do double duty under my ski pants, too. My current method of wearing cut-off sweatpants for
>> skiing is ... non-ideal.
>>
>
> Tights over shorts is the way I go, too. He's right. Not only can you peel off a layer if it
> gets too warm, you also get to peel off most of the dirt before you drive home. Make sure
> they fit right through, especially through the seat, lest ye suffer the dreaded crotch
> bungee.
>

Crotch bungee?? That sounds bad!

--

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 at 19:34 GMT, MattB penned:
> "Monique Y. Herman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> You had something medical done recently, right? Forgive my faulty memory.
>
> Shoulder surgery. It went pretty well. I'll post an update soon.

Ooh, does that include pictures??

Er, j/k.

> I have some tights like that and they are nice when it's really cold. I also have some leggings -
> just legs that I can add to shorts. Those are great when it's not that cold or to just have in the
> packin case it gets cold while I'm out in shorts.
>

Sounds like a good plan. I could spend infinite money on this sport, couldn't I?

--

> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 at 05:07 GMT, Kathleen penned:
> > Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> >
> ><snip>
> >> I need to go get myself some long pant type things so that I can ride in the cold. My fiance
> >> wears lined tights over his padded shorts; he says this has the benefit of allowing him to
> >> remove a layer if it gets too hot. It seems kind of sketchy to me, but on the other hand, such
> >> pants could do double duty under my ski pants, too. My current method of wearing cut-off
> >> sweatpants for skiing is ... non-ideal.
> >>
> >
> > Tights over shorts is the way I go, too. He's right. Not only can you peel off a layer if it
> > gets too warm, you also get to peel off most of the dirt before you drive home. Make sure they
> > fit right through, especially through the seat, lest ye suffer the dreaded crotch bungee.
> >
>
> Crotch bungee?? That sounds bad!
>
I think that's when the shorts snag the seat while weight shifting. Could be wrong though.

Mojo Deluxe wrote:

> "Monique Y. Herman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 at 05:07 GMT, Kathleen penned:
>>
>>>Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>>>
>>><snip>
>>>
>>>>I need to go get myself some long pant type things so that I can ride in the cold. My fiance
>>>>wears lined tights over his padded shorts; he says this has the benefit of allowing him to
>>>>remove a layer if it gets too hot. It seems kind of sketchy to me, but on the other hand, such
>>>>pants could do double duty under my ski pants, too. My current method of wearing cut-off
>>>>sweatpants for skiing is ... non-ideal.
>>>>
>>>
>>>Tights over shorts is the way I go, too. He's right. Not only can you peel off a layer if it gets
>>>too warm, you also get to peel off most of the dirt before you drive home. Make sure they fit
>>>right through, especially through the seat, lest ye suffer the dreaded crotch bungee.
>>>
>>
>>Crotch bungee?? That sounds bad!
>>
>
> I think that's when the shorts snag the seat while weight shifting. Could be wrong though.
>

Yep, it's when the saggy crotch of baggy or ill-fitting shorts or tights snag on the nose of your
saddle when you really, really need to get behind your seat. Led to one of only a handful of
over-the-bars incidents I've experienced.

Kathleen

"Kathleen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Mojo Deluxe wrote:
>
> > "Monique Y. Herman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 at 05:07 GMT, Kathleen penned:
> >>
> >>>Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> >>>
> >>><snip>
> >>>
> >>>>I need to go get myself some long pant type things so that I can ride in the cold. My fiance
> >>>>wears lined tights over his padded shorts; he says this has the benefit of allowing him to
> >>>>remove a layer if it gets too hot. It seems kind of sketchy to me, but on the other hand, such
> >>>>pants could do double duty under my ski pants, too. My current method of wearing cut-off
> >>>>sweatpants for skiing is ... non-ideal.
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>>Tights over shorts is the way I go, too. He's right. Not only can you peel off a layer if it
> >>>gets too warm, you also get to peel off most of the dirt before you drive home. Make sure they
> >>>fit right through, especially through the seat, lest ye suffer the dreaded crotch bungee.
> >>>
> >>
> >>Crotch bungee?? That sounds bad!
> >>
> >
> > I think that's when the shorts snag the seat while weight shifting.
Could be
> > wrong though.
> >
>
> Yep, it's when the saggy crotch of baggy or ill-fitting shorts or tights snag on the nose of your
> saddle when you really, really need to get behind your seat. Led to one of only a handful of
> over-the-bars incidents I've experienced.
>
Yep, seen pals of mine do the same thing, and vowed never to wear baggies.

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 at 19:34 GMT, MattB penned:
>
>>"Monique Y. Herman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>You had something medical done recently, right? Forgive my faulty memory.
>>
>>Shoulder surgery. It went pretty well. I'll post an update soon.
>
>
> Ooh, does that include pictures??
>
> Er, j/k.
>
>
>>I have some tights like that and they are nice when it's really cold. I also have some leggings -
>>just legs that I can add to shorts. Those are great when it's not that cold or to just have in the
>>packin case it gets cold while I'm out in shorts.
>>
>
>
> Sounds like a good plan. I could spend infinite money on this sport, couldn't I?
>
>

Monique, The better half and I will be in the area (Greeley actually) for Turkey day, and are
considering bringing our bikes to ride on Friday. There is another female friend we will probably
get to come along and are considering riding Hall. (That would make 3 Software "Authors" and my
wife, a Real Estate agent) We will have to see how the weather holds up, but that is a very open
area and any moisture would typically dry up quickly. If you are interested, please email me. You
don't have to ride anything you are not comfortable with, Sue (our friend) and Cindy (my wife)
won't, I won't either, but my comfort level is different from their's.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 at 02:07 GMT, Craig Brossman penned:
>
> Monique, The better half and I will be in the area (Greeley actually) for Turkey day, and are
> considering bringing our bikes to ride on Friday. There is another female friend we will probably
> get to come along and are considering riding Hall. (That would make 3 Software "Authors" and my
> wife, a Real Estate agent) We will have to see how the weather holds up, but that is a very open
> area and any moisture would typically dry up quickly. If you are interested, please email
> me. You don't have to ride anything you are not comfortable with, Sue (our friend) and Cindy (my
> wife) won't, I won't either, but my comfort level is different from their's.
>

Lemme check my schedule =)

--

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 at 02:07 GMT, Craig Brossman penned:
>
>>Monique, The better half and I will be in the area (Greeley actually) for Turkey day, and are
>>considering bringing our bikes to ride on Friday. There is another female friend we will probably
>>get to come along and are considering riding Hall. (That would make 3 Software "Authors" and my
>>wife, a Real Estate agent) We will have to see how the weather holds up, but that is a very open
>>area and any moisture would typically dry up quickly. If you are interested, please email
>>me. You don't have to ride anything you are not comfortable with, Sue (our friend) and Cindy (my
>> wife) won't, I won't either, but my comfort level is different from their's.
>>
>
>
> Lemme check my schedule =)
>

I don't have a good email addres to respond to your email.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)

Status
Not open for further replies.