RR: Humbled in blood (short)

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Paladin, Oct 12, 2003.

  1. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    My shameless bragging and showing off finally caught up with me Saturday morning. It was cold,
    clear, and seemed perfect for riding.

    I make it up the first 3.5mi pitch on the SS with little problem. Fairly technical in spots. A
    great climb.

    Stop to catch my breath and try to show off a little on the singlespeed. See a group of weekend
    warriors try to make the next transition. None of them do. So I saddle up to teach these kids a
    lesson, get too far to the right on this tough approach, bury the front wheel in deep sand and
    just fall over. Well, not "just." I tumbled down into rocks and came to rest eventually on my
    back, balanced on my Camelbak like an upturned beetle. My knee felt like I'd missed a month of
    payments to Guido.

    I get up, rejoin the boys, we talk about it. I lamely say that this is the first time I've biffed it
    there. "sure, sure," they're thinking. So I tell them once you're thrown, it's good therapy to get
    back on the horse. So with my tail between my legs, I mount up, make the transition, and now I have
    an audience, so I push myself that much harder. Why do we risk heart attacks for perfect strangers??

    Tiger balm and some fermented medications later, I'm OK. Some days you win, some days you don't, but
    you keep riding.

    Paladin

    Tags:

  2. On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 at 02:55 GMT, Paladin penned:

    > I get up, rejoin the boys, we talk about it. I lamely say that this is the first time I've biffed
    > it there. "sure, sure," they're thinking. So I tell them once you're thrown, it's good therapy to
    > get back on the horse. So with my tail between my legs, I mount up, make the transition, and now I
    > have an audience, so I push myself that much harder. Why do we risk heart attacks for perfect
    > strangers??

    I don't know, but I do know that an audience always makes me try just that much harder. It's much
    easier to give up if no one's around to see your shame.

    --
    monique Unless you need to share ultra-sensitive super-spy stuff with me, please don't email me
    directly. I will most likely see your post before I read your mail, anyway.

  3. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My shameless bragging and showing off finally caught up with me Saturday morning. It was cold,
    > clear, and seemed perfect for riding.
    >
    > I make it up the first 3.5mi pitch on the SS with little problem. Fairly technical in spots. A
    > great climb.
    >
    > Stop to catch my breath and try to show off a little on the singlespeed. See a group of weekend
    > warriors try to make the next transition. None of them do. So I saddle up to teach these kids a
    > lesson, get too far to the right on this tough approach, bury the front wheel in deep sand and
    > just fall over. Well, not "just." I tumbled down into rocks and came to rest eventually on my
    > back, balanced on my Camelbak like an upturned beetle. My knee felt like I'd missed a month of
    > payments to Guido.
    >
    > I get up, rejoin the boys, we talk about it. I lamely say that this is the first time I've biffed
    > it there. "sure, sure," they're thinking. So I tell them once you're thrown, it's good therapy to
    > get back on the horse. So with my tail between my legs, I mount up, make the transition, and now I
    > have an audience, so I push myself that much harder. Why do we risk heart attacks for perfect
    > strangers??
    >
    > Tiger balm and some fermented medications later, I'm OK. Some days you win, some days you don't,
    > but you keep riding.

    Heheheheheh - ouch! Hope your knee and pride heal quick matey ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  4. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Tiger balm and some fermented medications later, I'm OK. Some days you win, some days you don't,
    > but you keep riding.

    Even when some damn stomach virus has you shitting a green streak. Ride between streakings.

    JD

  5. its_stuart

    its_stuart New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2003
    lmao! were you using clipless Paladin?

  6. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    [email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > My shameless bragging and showing off finally caught up with me Saturday morning. It was cold,
    > clear, and seemed perfect for riding.
    >
    > I make it up the first 3.5mi pitch on the SS with little problem. Fairly technical in spots. A
    > great climb.
    >
    > Stop to catch my breath and try to show off a little on the singlespeed. See a group of weekend
    > warriors try to make the next transition. None of them do. So I saddle up to teach these kids a
    > lesson, get too far to the right on this tough approach, bury the front wheel in deep sand and
    > just fall over. Well, not "just." I tumbled down into rocks and came to rest eventually on my
    > back, balanced on my Camelbak like an upturned beetle. My knee felt like I'd missed a month of
    > payments to Guido.
    >
    > I get up, rejoin the boys, we talk about it. I lamely say that this is the first time I've biffed
    > it there. "sure, sure," they're thinking. So I tell them once you're thrown, it's good therapy to
    > get back on the horse. So with my tail between my legs, I mount up, make the transition, and now I
    > have an audience, so I push myself that much harder. Why do we risk heart attacks for perfect
    > strangers??
    >
    > Tiger balm and some fermented medications later, I'm OK. Some days you win, some days you don't,
    > but you keep riding.
    >
    > Paladin

    Sounds like my landing one one of Ketchum's finest. I was riding a rented bike and clipped a pedal
    sending me tumbling ass-over-tits down a slope of large stones. That Camelback saved me a couple
    vertebrae. Too bad I wasn't wearing them on my knees, thighs, shins, and elbows. I was by myself,
    though. The only proof I have is the 3 stripe scar on my left leg, which resembles an Adidas
    branding. /s

  7. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    its_stuart <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > lmao! were you using clipless Paladin?

    Yep, but let me describe this little piece of happiness. It's cut out of a hill above a creekbed.
    It's narrow, steep, rocky and sandy. Unless you hit it just right with the right line, and lots of
    power and momentum, then there are many ways to stall. By the time I realized I was stopped, I was
    falling over into the rocks and poison ivy below.

    O well. Paladin

  8. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On 16 Oct 2003 08:32:53 -0700, Paladin wrote:

    > Yep, but let me describe this little piece of happiness. It's cut out of a hill above a creekbed.
    > It's narrow, steep, rocky and sandy.

    Sand is the devil's trail material.

  9. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    [email protected] (supabonbon) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > My shameless bragging and showing off finally caught up with me Saturday morning. It was cold,
    > > clear, and seemed perfect for riding.
    <snip>
    > > Tiger balm and some fermented medications later, I'm OK. Some days you win, some days you don't,
    > > but you keep riding.
    > >
    > > Paladin
    >
    > Sounds like my landing one one of Ketchum's finest. I was riding a rented bike and clipped a pedal
    > sending me tumbling ass-over-tits down a slope of large stones. That Camelback saved me a couple
    > vertebrae. Too bad I wasn't wearing them on my knees, thighs, shins, and elbows. I was by myself,
    > though. The only proof I have is the 3 stripe scar on my left leg, which resembles an Adidas
    > branding. /s

    Then you know what I'm talking about. Wished' I'd had a camelbak for my whole right side. I was
    climbing out of the shower or something, and the wife says, what's that scab on your "hinder part?"
    "And that big bruise!?" She knew already about the knee, the elbow and the shoulder. A gift that
    just kept on giving.

    Paladin