RR - Hutchinson Scorpion Airlight...

Splat Graphics

Guest
these tires are garbage. plane an simple. I got to ride some
trails today. it's my third day on the bike. first time on
dirt trails with this bike *hoping to have it warm up and
dry out everything soon*:) Rivervalley Toronto On. I rode to
the bike shop to have them fix my probem gear. Easy fix. I
leave for the trails, take me 15 mins. I ride off the
pavemant, down a strip of grass/stone path and a quick 1 ft
drop. to a fence and a gate. Disk breaks threw mud from my
tires; cool :) 30 feet of wood shavings to a fork in the
road. On one side bridge with the path fallowing the vally
wall. some stairs and mostly up hill .... On the other dirt,
more down hill and technical, theirs 3 feet off the water to
your right*it's a run off of some sort*. So I hit the dirt.
:) 20 feet in and a great drop in to a 2 ft down hill drop.
It got sloopy at the bottem and started an uphill turn to
the left around a hairpin. All I heard was
thpppsssssssssssssssssssssssssss...................... I
tore a 1 inch hole in the rear tire, took one of the
knobbies and ripped it....... wow am I impressed with these
things.........

I walked the bike back to the shop that I had just left
about 1hr earlier... I spent more time walking the bike then
I rode it :( I got a new tube and some WTB Motoraptors 2.2's
coming some time this/next week.

Hutchinson Scorpion Airlight -10/5 for me and i'll be doing
a MTBR review on theses.

Have a better ride then I did folks :) CS VT2

Splat Graphics" <splatgraphics@"NOSPAM wrote:
>So I hit the dirt. :) ...a great drop in to a 2 ft down
>hill drop.
<snip>
>I tore a 1inch hole in the rear tire, took one of the
>knobbies and ripped it
<snip>
> Hutchinson Scorpion Airlight

Perhaps the "Airlight" in the name may have given you a
clue.

Personally I've had a good run with the Hutchy Scorpions
although I have had sidewall 'issues' with the Pythons. Put
quite simply, If you're going to be dropping off things,
stay away from anything that says "Airlight" in the name.

Just out of curiousity, what pressures were you running?
--
Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

"Splat Graphics" <splatgraphics@"NOSPAM"sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> these tires are garbage. plane an simple.
SNIP
> Have a better ride then I did folks :) CS VT2

Like Westie said, stay away from "Airlight." They're for XC
racing, where riders are (apparently) willing to risk a tear
for a stupid-small weight savings. You mentioned a 2-foot
drop to a downhill...that's over the Airlight limit.

If you want an XC-oriented tire that's still real tough,
I've found the IRC Serac to be the king. All my Hutchy
experiences have been bad ones.

Chris

> "Splat Graphics" <splatgraphics@"NOSPAM"sympatico.ca>
> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > these tires are garbage. plane an simple.
> SNIP
> > Have a better ride then I did folks :) CS VT2
> >

> Like Westie said, stay away from "Airlight." They're
> for XC racing, where riders are (apparently) willing to
> risk a tear for a stupid-small weight savings. You
> mentioned a 2-foot drop to a downhill...that's over the
> Airlight limit.
>
> If you want an XC-oriented tire that's still real tough,
> I've found the
IRC
> Serac to be the king. All my Hutchy experiences have been
> bad ones.

So far, I love my Serac USTs.