RR: I led a MTB clinic

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Anthony Sloan, Apr 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Last night I led a skills clinic out at City Park
    http://www.mtbreview.com/trails/Texas-Austin/CityParkMotocrossTrail.html ), one of the more fearsome
    technical trails around these parts. We had a good turnout. I had some riders with pretty good
    skills and some folks who hadn't ever really gotten off of the groomers. We did one big mellow lap
    with lots of repeats. I think not feeling rushed, being able to see how various lines work out, and
    getting encouragement and a high five or two is better than any instruction I could give.

Hopefully there will be many more of these, I appear to have been nominated as a Mountain Biking
    Coach for the Austin Ridge Riders. I wonder what that means?

A

Tags:

2. Dave W

Dave W Guest

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:41:58 -0500, Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:

>Last night I led a skills clinic out at City Park
    >http://www.mtbreview.com/trails/Texas-Austin/CityParkMotocrossTrail.html ), one of the more
    >fearsome technical trails around these parts. We had a good turnout. I had some riders with pretty
    >good skills and some folks who hadn't ever really gotten off of the groomers.

I quess it takes all kinds huh?

We did one big mellow
    >lap with lots of repeats. I think not feeling rushed, being able to see how various lines work out,
    >and getting encouragement and a high five or two is better than any instruction I could give.

Truth!

Riding with a group can help build needed skills immensely. It's a good thing to see how others may
    handle certain scenarios.

>
    >Hopefully there will be many more of these, I appear to have been nominated as a Mountain Biking
    >Coach for the Austin Ridge Riders. I wonder what that means?

uh,oh. You're f**ked!

Dave (Looking forward to some good Barney stories!)

3. Bb

Bb Guest

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:41:58 -0500, Anthony Sloan wrote:

> Hopefully there will be many more of these, I appear to have been nominated as a Mountain Biking
    > Coach for the Austin Ridge Riders. I wonder what that means?

I think that means you're going to be very busy. Its a good thing, though. Most of what I know was
    learned by trial and error (repeated many times).

--
    -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

4. Paladin

Paladin Guest

Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Last night I led a skills clinic out at City Park
    > http://www.mtbreview.com/trails/Texas-Austin/CityParkMotocrossTrail.html ), one of the more
    > fearsome technical trails around these parts. We had a good turnout. I had some riders with
    > pretty good skills and some folks who hadn't ever really gotten off of the groomers. We did one
    > big mellow lap with lots of repeats. I think not feeling rushed, being able to see how various
    > lines work out, and getting encouragement and a high five or two is better than any instruction I
    > could give.
    >
    > Hopefully there will be many more of these, I appear to have been nominated as a Mountain Biking
    > Coach for the Austin Ridge Riders. I wonder what that means?
    >
    > A

Distinguish yourself, and somebody's always putting you to work. Next time you'll utilize my secret
    of under the radar mediocrity. But "seriously" your coaching outing sounds like a great thing to do,
    and a lot of fun besides.

Did you set up spotters at the gnarly spots to encourage the fainthearted?

Anybody ask for your autograph? 8~P

Paladin

5. Bill Wheeler

Bill Wheeler Guest

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:41:58 -0500, Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:

>Last night I led a skills clinic out at City Park
    >http://www.mtbreview.com/trails/Texas-Austin/CityParkMotocrossTrail.html ), one of the more
    >fearsome technical trails around these parts. We had a good turnout. I had some riders with pretty
    >good skills and some folks who hadn't ever really gotten off of the groomers. We did one big mellow
    >lap with lots of repeats. I think not feeling rushed, being able to see how various lines work out,
    >and getting encouragement and a high five or two is better than any instruction I could give.
    >
    >Hopefully there will be many more of these, I appear to have been nominated as a Mountain Biking
    >Coach for the Austin Ridge Riders. I wonder what that means?
    >
    >A

Keep up the good work!

Now that's something worth doing and doing well!

Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

6. "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Did you set up spotters at the gnarly spots to encourage the fainthearted?
    >
    > Anybody ask for your autograph? 8~P
    >
    > Paladin
    What a good idea, I never thought of that. Sort of like bouldering.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.