RR: I led a MTB clinic

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Anthony Sloan, Apr 23, 2003.

  1. Last night I led a skills clinic out at City Park
    http://www.mtbreview.com/trails/Texas-Austin/CityParkMotocrossTrail.html ), one of the more fearsome
    technical trails around these parts. We had a good turnout. I had some riders with pretty good
    skills and some folks who hadn't ever really gotten off of the groomers. We did one big mellow lap
    with lots of repeats. I think not feeling rushed, being able to see how various lines work out, and
    getting encouragement and a high five or two is better than any instruction I could give.

    Hopefully there will be many more of these, I appear to have been nominated as a Mountain Biking
    Coach for the Austin Ridge Riders. I wonder what that means?

  2. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:41:58 -0500, Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Last night I led a skills clinic out at City Park
    >http://www.mtbreview.com/trails/Texas-Austin/CityParkMotocrossTrail.html ), one of the more
    >fearsome technical trails around these parts. We had a good turnout. I had some riders with pretty
    >good skills and some folks who hadn't ever really gotten off of the groomers.

    I quess it takes all kinds huh?

    We did one big mellow
    >lap with lots of repeats. I think not feeling rushed, being able to see how various lines work out,
    >and getting encouragement and a high five or two is better than any instruction I could give.

    Truth!

    Riding with a group can help build needed skills immensely. It's a good thing to see how others may
    handle certain scenarios.

    >Hopefully there will be many more of these, I appear to have been nominated as a Mountain Biking
    >Coach for the Austin Ridge Riders. I wonder what that means?

    uh,oh. You're f**ked!

    Dave (Looking forward to some good Barney stories!)

  3. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:41:58 -0500, Anthony Sloan wrote:

    > Hopefully there will be many more of these, I appear to have been nominated as a Mountain Biking
    > Coach for the Austin Ridge Riders. I wonder what that means?

    I think that means you're going to be very busy. Its a good thing, though. Most of what I know was
    learned by trial and error (repeated many times).

  4. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Last night I led a skills clinic out at City Park
    > http://www.mtbreview.com/trails/Texas-Austin/CityParkMotocrossTrail.html ), one of the more
    > fearsome technical trails around these parts. We had a good turnout. I had some riders with
    > pretty good skills and some folks who hadn't ever really gotten off of the groomers. We did one
    > big mellow lap with lots of repeats. I think not feeling rushed, being able to see how various
    > lines work out, and getting encouragement and a high five or two is better than any instruction I
    > could give.
    >
    > Hopefully there will be many more of these, I appear to have been nominated as a Mountain Biking
    > Coach for the Austin Ridge Riders. I wonder what that means?

    Distinguish yourself, and somebody's always putting you to work. Next time you'll utilize my secret
    of under the radar mediocrity. But "seriously" your coaching outing sounds like a great thing to do,
    and a lot of fun besides.

    Did you set up spotters at the gnarly spots to encourage the fainthearted?

    Anybody ask for your autograph? 8~P

    Paladin

  5. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:41:58 -0500, Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Last night I led a skills clinic out at City Park
    >http://www.mtbreview.com/trails/Texas-Austin/CityParkMotocrossTrail.html ), one of the more
    >fearsome technical trails around these parts. We had a good turnout. I had some riders with pretty
    >good skills and some folks who hadn't ever really gotten off of the groomers. We did one big mellow
    >lap with lots of repeats. I think not feeling rushed, being able to see how various lines work out,
    >and getting encouragement and a high five or two is better than any instruction I could give.
    >
    >Hopefully there will be many more of these, I appear to have been nominated as a Mountain Biking
    >Coach for the Austin Ridge Riders. I wonder what that means?

    Keep up the good work!

    Now that's something worth doing and doing well!

    :-]

  6. "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Did you set up spotters at the gnarly spots to encourage the fainthearted?
    >
    > Anybody ask for your autograph? 8~P
    >
    > Paladin
    What a good idea, I never thought of that. Sort of like bouldering.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado