RR: Ice, Mud, Ice

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Martees, Feb 7, 2003.

  1. Martees

    Martees Guest

    Hey folks,

    Well, I got in a ride the other day and as the Subject indicates it was a challenge. I decided to
    keep it simple and rode the Piney Run loop near my house. This loop is really more of an out and
    back with some minor hills and a few small stream crossings. You start out by heading in at
    Hollenberry Rd (off Obrect if anybody cares) and drop into the woods. Then you bear right and come
    to a 60 or 70 foot drop. I can usually ride this but not this day. Nope. The seat is in my stomach
    and I start down. I soon realize that the frozen ground I expected is about 1/2 inch below the
    surface and the top is mud. I lasted about 10 feet before the front tire went one way and I went
    another!! No harm done but it made me VERY careful the rest of the ride.

    The whole thing was about 8 miles but it was just what the doctor ordered.

    Marty

    Tags:

  2. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 16:28:19 -0500, "Martees" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hey folks,
    >
    > Well, I got in a ride the other day and as the Subject indicates it was a challenge. I decided to
    > keep it simple and rode the Piney Run loop near my house. This loop is really more of an out and
    > back with some minor hills and a few small stream crossings. You start out by heading in at
    > Hollenberry Rd (off Obrect if anybody cares) and drop into the woods. Then you bear right and
    > come to a 60 or 70 foot drop. I can usually ride this but not this day. Nope. The seat is in my
    > stomach and I start down. I soon realize that the frozen ground I expected is about 1/2 inch
    > below the surface and the top is mud. I lasted about 10 feet before the front tire went one way
    > and I went another!! No harm done but it made me VERY careful the rest of the ride.
    >
    >The whole thing was about 8 miles but it was just what the doctor ordered.
    >
    >Marty

    Keep riding Marty,

    :-]