Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

RR: If I were a cat...

Started by Shawn Curry · · Last activity · 5 posts · 590 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
31 March 2004
Last activity
1 April 2004
Original author
Shawn Curry
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
590
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. ....I'd only have eight lives left-at most, but more on that later.
    There's a lot to be said about procrastinating while the day warms up in
    the spring. The morning was pleasantly cool, but early afternoon topped
    out at 70 F. Once I got my act together I headed out on a standard
    Salida loop in the foothills of the Sangre de Cristo range, CR 110, the
    power line road, Lost Trail. It had been a week and a half since my
    last ride. CR 110 is a stout climb up a dirt road, so I was a little
    concerned about being a slug oozing my way up the trail. After a
    leisurely ride across town to warm up, the climb went O.K., a gear or
    two higher than the last time.
    The dirt road intersects the power line road, but a single track side
    trail that Tom Purvis showed me is a much more entertaining way to
    finish the climb. The trail twists its way through a low pinion (I
    think) forest. About half way along the single track, Shock! another
    human, on an MTB no less. We were each so surprised to see another
    person we both had to stop. Nice lady named Heidi. We chatted a bit
    about what trails are open, and were on our separate ways.
    Despite it being the end of what should've been the snowiest month here,
    the power line road was already dry and sketchy. The road winds along,
    with some short steep descents and climbs. The deep dirt only gave me
    reason for concern once though "Oh I wish I were going slower but
    braking wouldn't be good here just hang on." I did :-o
    Lost Trail drops off the power line after maybe 1.5 miles and heads back
    toward town. The first section winds through the forest but is much
    rockier than the climb. Not quite baby heads, smaller and squarer.
    Easy at a jog, lots more challenging as you pick up the pace. Tom P.
    had described the trail as "Butter smooth" a few weeks ago. Just as I
    was wondering where he buys his butter, I executed the smoothest bail in
    my mountain biking career (at least that I remember-I am 40 after all).
    In a loose right hander, the front end dug in, and I lost it. I
    popped cleanly out of my pedals and clear of the bike. I landed on
    hands and toes avoiding ALL of the rocks and cactus. My hands were in
    the only two spots of soft dirt along the whole section of trail. Whew!
    10 seconds later I was back on the bike. But that's not the cat part.
    The rocky upper section gives way to really fun smooth (OK, butter
    smooth) single track by way of a steep section lined with baby heads.
    The first time I rode this section I thought it was marginally ridable.
    I zipped right down today. :-)
    Along the way the trail runs through a few drainages. One of them has a
    steep approach and a shallower exit along a traverse. Really fun to do
    fast if you nail it. I didn't. The steep part and the bottom went
    fine. As I started back up, off to the side of the trail, is an
    unobtrusive rock about a foot tall and two feet wide. Somewhere
    immediately before I arrived next to this rock on the trail, I found
    myself diverted and heading straight for it. My brain didn't think
    bunny hop, but avoid. I threw the bike to the left as hard as I could.
    So hard, my right foot clicked off the pedal and I almost high sided.
    I didn't.
    I went back down the trail to look at my tracks. Yup, I was close.
    Yup, I swerved hard. Oh look, those rocks are right where my head
    would've hit.
    Contemplating parenthood and the value of intact skin and skull, I
    headed down the rest of the way uneventfully with all of my one life.
    Glad I'm not a cat!

    Cheers,
    Shawn

  2. Shawn Curry wrote:
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Along the way the trail runs through a few drainages. One of them
    has a steep approach and a shallower exit along a traverse. Really
    fun to do fast if you nail it. I didn't. The steep part and the
    bottom went fine. As I started back up, off to the side of the
    trail, is an unobtrusive rock about a foot tall and two feet wide.
    Somewhere immediately before I arrived next to this rock on the
    trail, I found myself diverted and heading straight for it. My brain
    didn't think bunny hop, but avoid. I threw the bike to the left as
    hard as I could. So hard, my right foot clicked off the pedal and I
    almost high sided. I didn't.
    I went back down the trail to look at my tracks. Yup, I was close.
    Yup, I swerved hard. Oh look, those rocks are right where my head
    would've hit.
    Contemplating parenthood and the value of intact skin and skull, I
    headed down the rest of the way uneventfully with all of my one life.
    Glad I'm not a cat!

    Cheers,
    Shawn

    Nice save there. Glad you pulled it off. I've done a very similar thing
    coming down the jeep trails from Signal Peak. I've hit 38 Mph on one section
    and it's a rush. But one small slip at those speeds could be a huge
    disaster. I got all wonky like you describe and just ended up putting a big
    flat spot in my rim and somehow managing to recover without going down. For
    me it was a lapse of concentration. Gotta stay focused at those times.

    Matt

  3. MattB said:

    Nice save there. Glad you pulled it off. I've done a very similar thing
    coming down the jeep trails from Signal Peak. I've hit 38 Mph on one section
    and it's a rush. But one small slip at those speeds could be a huge
    disaster. I got all wonky like you describe and just ended up putting a big
    flat spot in my rim and somehow managing to recover without going down. For
    me it was a lapse of concentration. Gotta stay focused at those times.

    Matt

    Brain fart was the phrase that came to mind :-)

    Shawn

  4. Shawn Curry said:

    ...
    Lost Trail drops off the power line after maybe 1.5 miles and heads back
    toward town. The first section winds through the forest but is much
    rockier than the climb. Not quite baby heads, smaller and squarer.
    Easy at a jog, lots more challenging as you pick up the pace. Tom P.
    had described the trail as "Butter smooth" a few weeks ago. Just as I
    was wondering where he buys his butter, I executed the smoothest bail ...

    Nice ride report, and congratulations on the multiple saves. I rode
    LT yesterday too. It's in pretty nice shape. That first place where
    it drops steeply was so much rougher when I first moved here 4 years
    ago. I was scared to even ride that section for a long time (years).
    Perhaps a little lumpy to be called "butter", but by comparison to
    past conditions, it's smooth.

    Here's some photographia of the ride:

    http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/LostTrail.html

    --
    Tom Purvis - http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
    certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."-Bertrand Russell

  5. Tom Purvis wrote:
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Perhaps a little lumpy to be called "butter", but by comparison to
    past conditions, it's smooth.

    Here's some photographia of the ride:

    http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/LostTrail.html

    Maybe peanut butter? Chunky style?

    Matt (mmmm peanut butter)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.