RR: Invasion of the ATV's :-(

Carla A-G

Guest
Jim and I hit the woods before the big snow storm hit our area. The trails were congested with snow
but some of it was ridable. We started with some double track in Bethpage, that was the only section
that was hardpacked and ridable, we rode a loop then decided to check out how the singletrack at the
Greenbelt was. We rode from Bethpage to the Greenbelt. The Greenbelt was hardpacked but very very
chewed up. The ATV'rs had been there...it looked like a stampede of dinosaurs had run through the
trail. It was chaotic destruction. The singletrack was slowly being transformed into doubletrack.
The feeling of disappointment overcame us...We wound up riding about 1/2 the Greenbelt, the only
sections that were ridable and not so damaged.

Then the snow storm hit us...well over 2 feet of it. Now we have to wait until it melts and packs
down hard before we can hit the woods again. Time to hit the trainer or go hiking...

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

"Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Jim and I hit the woods before the big snow storm hit our area. The trails were congested with
> snow but some of it was ridable. We started with some double track in Bethpage, that was the only
> section that was hardpacked and ridable, we rode a loop then decided to check out how the
> singletrack at the Greenbelt was. We rode from Bethpage to the Greenbelt. The Greenbelt was
> hardpacked but very very chewed up. The ATV'rs had been there...it looked like a stampede of
> dinosaurs had run through the trail. It was chaotic destruction. The singletrack was slowly being
> transformed into doubletrack. The feeling of disappointment overcame us...We wound up riding about
> 1/2 the Greenbelt, the only sections that were ridable and not so damaged.
>
> Then the snow storm hit us...well over 2 feet of it. Now we have to wait until it melts and packs
> down hard before we can hit the woods again. Time to hit the trainer or go hiking...

So, LI has ignorant grits too? Were there tobacco juice stains in nthe snow where they had been?

JD

Carla A-G wrote:
> The singletrack was slowly being transformed into doubletrack. The feeling of disappointment
> overcame us...We wound up riding about 1/2 the Greenbelt, the only sections that were ridable and
> not so damaged.

We get the same thing every winter out at Bear Brook... ATV's are NOT allowed unless there is enough
snow cover to allow snow-mobiles, so soon at it's 6" base cover they come rippin' out, thrash the
trails to sh!t. Nobody likes them, not the state, not the snow-mobilers, hikers, CC-Skiers. snow
shoe'rs, NOBODY!

And NOW to make matters worse this may be the last year before Bear Brook is ATV-Free durring the
non-winter months:

http://www.cmonitor.com/stories/news/local2003/allenstownatv_2002.shtml

Be afraid, be VERY VERY afraid!!!!

> Then the snow storm hit us...well over 2 feet of it.

we got better'n 2 foot here as well.... fluffy powder, aint good for sh!t, Unless you are a skier

> Now we have to wait until it melts and packs down hard before we can hit the woods again.

Friday! 40's and rain

> Time to hit the trainer or go hiking...

Or go to the store and buy some Sam Adam's Double-Bock

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 19:42:01 -0500, ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote:

>Carla A-G wrote:
> > The singletrack was slowly being transformed into doubletrack.
>> The feeling of disappointment overcame us...We wound up riding about 1/2 the Greenbelt, the only
>> sections that were ridable and not so damaged.
>
>We get the same thing every winter out at Bear Brook... ATV's are NOT allowed unless there is
>enough snow cover to allow snow-mobiles, so soon at it's 6" base cover they come rippin' out,
>thrash the trails to sh!t. Nobody likes them, not the state, not the snow-mobilers, hikers,
>CC-Skiers. snow shoe'rs, NOBODY!
>
>And NOW to make matters worse this may be the last year before Bear Brook is ATV-Free durring the
>non-winter months:
>
>http://www.cmonitor.com/stories/news/local2003/allenstownatv_2002.shtml
>
>Be afraid, be VERY VERY afraid!!!!

That seriously sucks man!

>Or go to the store and buy some Sam Adam's Double-Bock

I'd pick B)

Dave (and as a matter of fact....I did!)

> Jim and I hit the woods before the big snow storm hit our area. The trails were congested with
> snow but some of it was ridable. We started with some double track in Bethpage, that was the only
> section that was hardpacked
and
> ridable, we rode a loop then decided to check out how the singletrack at
the
> Greenbelt was. We rode from Bethpage to the Greenbelt. The Greenbelt was hardpacked but very very
> chewed up. The ATV'rs had been there...it looked like a stampede of dinosaurs had run through the
> trail. It was chaotic destruction. The singletrack was slowly being transformed into
doubletrack.
> The feeling of disappointment overcame us...We wound up riding about 1/2
the
> Greenbelt, the only sections that were ridable and not so damaged.
>
> Then the snow storm hit us...well over 2 feet of it. Now we have to wait until it melts and packs
> down hard before we can hit the woods again. Time to hit the trainer or go hiking...
>
> - CA-G
>
> Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

Bastards! They are the devil!

Matt

> So, LI has ignorant grits too? Were there tobacco juice stains in nthe snow where they had been?

When the weather clears up and the ground unfreezes, we are going to put some premanent blockades in
the trail entrances to try to put them a little under control.

Yes, we have many ignorant grits on LI, unfortunately...

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

MattB wrote:

> "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Jim and I hit the woods before the big snow storm hit our area. The trails were congested with
> > snow but some of it was ridable. We started with some double track in Bethpage, that was the
> > only section that was hardpacked
> and
> > ridable, we rode a loop then decided to check out how the singletrack at
> the
> > Greenbelt was. We rode from Bethpage to the Greenbelt. The Greenbelt was hardpacked but very
> > very chewed up. The ATV'rs had been there...it looked like a stampede of dinosaurs had run
> > through the trail. It was chaotic destruction. The singletrack was slowly being transformed into
> doubletrack.
> > The feeling of disappointment overcame us...We wound up riding about 1/2
> the
> > Greenbelt, the only sections that were ridable and not so damaged.
> >
> > Then the snow storm hit us...well over 2 feet of it. Now we have to wait until it melts and
> > packs down hard before we can hit the woods again. Time to hit the trainer or go hiking...
> >
> > - CA-G
> >
> > Canadian Girls Kick Ass!
> >

> Bastards! They are the devil!
>
> Matt

Damn ride on lawn mowers! Carla and I took a walk in the storm and they were out in force ripping up
and down the streets.... Okay we thought at first... At least they are not in the woods... but it
began to dawn on us that all these morons will soon be out on the trails... very disappointing...
There were more damn lawnmowers on the street than cars, truck or people walking.

Jimbo... rum warms the soul...(san)

> > So, LI has ignorant grits too? Were there tobacco juice stains in nthe snow where they had been?
>
> When the weather clears up and the ground unfreezes, we are going to put some premanent blockades
> in the trail entrances to try to put them a little under control.
>
> Yes, we have many ignorant grits on LI, unfortunately...
>
> - CA-G
>
> Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

Those things can move concrete center dividers, so if you are going to do it I suggest getting big
ass logs and brace them between trees so that the only way to get them out is with a chain saw,
that's the only thing that has worked here. Ironically you may need an ATV to get the job done.

--
_________________________

"Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Those things can move concrete center dividers, so if you are going to do it I suggest getting big
> ass logs and brace them between trees so that the only way to get them out is with a chain saw,
> that's the only thing that has worked here. Ironically you may need an ATV to get the job done.

It would be too much work for them to start moving things out of the way. We are thinking to bury
poles/tree trunks (about the circumference of a telephone pole) with concrete/sacrete underneath so
they cannot be pulled out or removed easily. An ATV is not necessary as the entrances that they come
in from are located on roads. We can just get a whole bunch of people to help haul things in and get
to work. Thanks for the idea with the logs.

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

RE/
>It would be too much work for them to start moving things out of the way. We are thinking to bury
>poles/tree trunks (about the circumference of a telephone pole) with concrete/sacrete underneath so
>they cannot be pulled out or removed easily.

How about a sort of nickle-dime approach: find spots on the trails where an ATV couldn't reasonably
detour and put up something that makes the trail too narrow for the ATV to pass, but wide enough for
other traffic?

That way, you're not pitting your resources against every innovative ATB-er who finds a new way to
get into the system.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> RE/
> >It would be too much work for them to start moving things out of the way.
We
> >are thinking to bury poles/tree trunks (about the circumference of a telephone pole) with
> >concrete/sacrete underneath so they cannot be pulled out or removed easily.
>
> How about a sort of nickle-dime approach: find spots on the trails where
an ATV
> couldn't reasonably detour and put up something that makes the trail too
narrow
> for the ATV to pass, but wide enough for other traffic?
>
> That way, you're not pitting your resources against every innovative
ATB-er who
> finds a new way to get into the system.
> PeteCresswell

I agree. Make it as unappealing and as uninteresting as possible a short distance further up the
trail.. Entrance barriers are made to be beaten.

Westie