Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

RR just a fun day (ping Doug Taylor)

Started by Penny S · · Last activity · 4 posts · 560 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
30 May 2004
Last activity
30 May 2004
Original author
Penny S
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
560
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I started out working the registration table for the
    regional 24 hour race. I must drive everyone nuts because I
    know so many people... clients, ride pals, ski patrollers,
    friends kids, the Jones Soda rep, the whole first aid
    crew.... yak, yak, yak. We got every one signed in and then
    I got to beg off.

    On the chance that it might NOT be pouring out ( the weather
    has been iffy to say the least...) I did bring my bike and
    gear. I figured I'd go for a solo ride on the N. end of the
    park. Yippee... I run into this couple I know and she is not
    racing and does have her bike. Goody.. we watch the lemans
    start, and then I take her for a little tour.

    Just a nice little chatty ride. She trains a lot for road
    racing, and I think this was a nice change of pace. We
    stopped on top of the bluff and watch a pair of bald
    eagles circle for a bit. Then, I couldn't remember which
    way to go at a certain junction, it had been two seasons
    since I last rode this trail, and we took a wrong turn.
    This means that the nice singletrack downhill ended up in
    a 30' hike-a-bike dry creekbed, and then (hiking) trail
    goes up out of the creekbed, hike a bike again back up to
    rideable trail. We got attacked by some crazed rat terrier
    Chihuahua thing... dang I wish people would follow the
    leash law out there, or at least hold on to their
    critters. The loop is over way too fast. If I had
    remembered the correct turn, instead of crossing the dry
    creek we would have had a several miles swoopy downhill to
    the river, no creekbed and no hike a bike.

    On our way back in to the race area, we hook up with the
    hubby who is in-between laps, and I take them over to the
    Jones Soda van for drinks. This is the Jones Soda of Turkey
    Gravy Soda fame, if any of you followed that last
    Thanksgiving. Joe (the rep) was saying he was annoyed that
    it was announced he had "some". 3 bottles doesn't constitute
    a lot of Turkey Gravy Soda. I opted for Crushed Melon, but
    the Bada Bing (cherry) is quite good too. You gotta love a
    company that sells an energy drink called "whoopass".

    jonessoda.comturkey.html

    the reason I'm pinging you Doug is that the said couple
    wants to make sure that you drag the 24 hour guys out here
    for next years race.

    Penny

  2. Nicd! Thanks for sharing.

  3. Penny S said:

    the reason I'm pinging you Doug is that the said couple
    wants to make sure that you drag the 24 hour guys out here
    for next years race.

    Wellll, I pretty much retired from 24 Hour Racing after last
    year's 24 Hours of Winter Park. That drained me: the
    difficulty of the course, the altitude, the hassle of travel
    and shipping bikes. The saving grace was being able to race
    on the same team as my son, who now lives in Nor Cal and
    mostly races road.

    Tell E & L that they could probably persuade Jeff W. (who
    is now sponsored by Dean off-road and is riding VERY
    strong this season on and off the road) , but the old guy
    masters are pretty much done with traveling that far for
    24 hour races.

    Hope you all had a good time and good results at NORBA Nats.

  4. Doug Taylor said:
    Penny S said:

    the reason I'm pinging you Doug is that the said couple
    wants to make sure that you drag the 24 hour guys out
    here for next years race.

    Wellll, I pretty much retired from 24 Hour Racing after
    last year's 24 Hours of Winter Park. That drained me: the
    difficulty of the course, the altitude, the hassle of
    travel and shipping bikes. The saving grace was being able
    to race on the same team as my son, who now lives in Nor
    Cal and mostly races road.

    Tell E & L that they could probably persuade Jeff W. (who
    is now sponsored by Dean off-road and is riding VERY
    strong this season on and off the road) , but the old guy
    masters are pretty much done with traveling that far for
    24 hour races.

    heh, YOU tell them ;-) besides, the Riverside Revenger
    course is e-z and it's only 2000' above sea level.

    p.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.