RR: Kew Boulevarde C Crit Mon, 1st Mar 2004

There's Monday crits

At kew, yeah? (shall check HCC's site for more...

I know, I know. Just do it

will take a look tonight and go for it next week. My roady is in th
shop getting tweaked and tuned so there's my excuse for this week
Unless I can enter on my rigid mtb :rolleyes

The speeds along beach road dont worry me too much as I can stay wit
most bunches along there (altho perhaps not for the whole length betwee
Frankston and StK) and the little stretch between Mentone and Black Roc
seems to sort people out. Altho Imsure it only goes up about 25m

I can see myself just getting to the top of the hill and everyone jus
keep on going over the top, leaving me languishin

There's and E-grade? Where do I sign

Hey, stupid questions alert

Do you carry water or do you not carry the weight

What happens if you get dropped? (...should that be when???

Is there an unwritten rule about who has 'the line' going into a corne
(that sharpLeft at Kew looks like potential for trouble

Is putting your pump in the other guy's wheel considered bad form:D (ak
"Breaking Away"

-

Unregistered <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<fgV0c.10188$%[email protected]>...
> jazmo wrote:
> > RACE NEWS report with Nob Ias.
> > 40 mins + 3 laps.
> > That was really hard work. ...

> I second the "nice report" comments.
>
> What was the average speed for the C grade bunch, or more to the point,
> what sort of speed was it doing up the hill? Been thinking of doing a
> Wednesday pm with HCC and wondering which grade to try.

It was 34.6 kmh

> B Grade vets on a Wednesday morning (fairly small fields = only a few
> workers) seems to average about 35-36kph for 40-45 minutes. On slower
> laps the hill goes at about 28-30 kph. On faster ones maybe 32-33. 20+
> laps of the faster ones hurts!!
>

> --

>My roady is in the shop getting tweaked and tuned so there's >my excuse for this week. Unless I can enter on my rigid >mtb :rolleyes:

I don't think so, there's probably some rule about geometry or probabl
the handlebar design is too wide or something. Try it :

>Hey, stupid questions alert

Stupid answer warning.

>Do you carry water or do you not carry the weight

YES, carry water. You might not drink it in your first few race
(depends on pace), but once the nerves calm down you will find it help
a lot to clear the mouth, cool you down, prevent performance-sappin
dehydration, etc. For a 50min race I'll go in with anything from half
bottle to full bottle. Depends on heat and how much I drank riding t
the race :

>What happens if you get dropped? (...should that be when???

You try to catch up - the bunch pace might slow enough for this t
happen. Or, you wait until the bunch comes around again (if you are THA
far behind) and just try to pick them up again. Usually, if you've bee
lapped you are supposed to pull out when there's 3 laps to go. We didn'
do this last week though - listen to the race director

>Is there an unwritten rule about who has 'the line' going into
>>corner (that sharpLeft at Kew looks like potential for trouble

The person in front. Don't overlap your wheel with another rider into
corner!!!! Don't underpass. Hold your line through the corner - don'
swing out and don't cut in. Having said that, it's a race - do what yo
have to do to win but stay safe and don't take other riders down

>Is putting your pump in the other guy's wheel considered bad form:

No, this behaviour is, in fact, encouraged, especially on fast descents
Serious answer: Why are you carrying a pump in a race

hipp

-

Rickster wrote:
> It was 34.6 kmh

Farout, didn't realise that

Three people from this discussion board rode that race

K&C Russell, Rickster - describe your attire on that day. How did yo
guys find the race, was it hard going and fast for you too

I had the Carrera top and blue shorts. I had the old Cecil Walker bik
with the downtube shifters

-

flyingdutch wrote:
> [QUOTEWhy are you carrying a pump in a race?
> hippy
> to stick in someone's wheel, of course!
> What else are they used for:confused:

Touche! ;-)

hippy

--

hippy wrote:
> >My roady is in the shop getting tweaked and tuned so there's >my excuse
> >for this week. Unless I can enter on my rigid >mtb :rolleyes:

> I don't think so, there's probably some rule about geometry or probably
> the handlebar design is too wide or something. Try it :)
> >Hey, stupid questions alert:

> Stupid answer warning..
> >Do you carry water or do you not carry the weight?

> YES, carry water. You might not drink it in your first few races
> (depends on pace), but once the nerves calm down you will find it helps
> a lot to clear the mouth, cool you down, prevent performance-sapping
> dehydration, etc. For a 50min race I'll go in with anything from half a
> bottle to full bottle. Depends on heat and how much I drank riding to
> the race :)
> >What happens if you get dropped? (...should that be when???)

> You try to catch up - the bunch pace might slow enough for this to
> happen. Or, you wait until the bunch comes around again (if you are THAT
> far behind) and just try to pick them up again. Usually, if you've been
> lapped you are supposed to pull out when there's 3 laps to go. We didn't
> do this last week though - listen to the race director.
> >Is there an unwritten rule about who has 'the line' going into a
> >>corner (that sharpLeft at Kew looks like potential for trouble)

> The person in front. Don't overlap your wheel with another rider into a
> corner!!!! Don't underpass. Hold your line through the corner - don't
> swing out and don't cut in. Having said that, it's a race - do what you
> have to do to win but stay safe and don't take other riders down.
> >Is putting your pump in the other guy's wheel considered bad form:D

> No, this behaviour is, in fact, encouraged, especially on fast descents.
> Serious answer: Why are you carrying a pump in a race?
> hippy

G'day Flying Dutch

there's plenty of good advice here...& plenty more that we could add a
well....but...you'll learn more by getting out & doing your 1st crit
than you will by reading a hundred advice threads!. If you wanna d
it...nike (just do it)!....don't worry to much about the why's & how
etc. You'll have plenty of questions once you've done your firs
race....at present its the old 'you don't know what you don'
know'.......get in the lowest grade available (1st up) & just go fo
it........ya never know, Hippy might even share his new found expertis
on 'how to fall off a track bike without really trying'....(sorry hippy
couldn't resist!)

cheers

Hitch

-

Hippy might even share his new found expertise on 'how to fall off
track bike without really trying' ....(sorry hippy, couldn't resist!

Oh cmon, do tell

I'd love to have a go at track too, but that's another story

My 6yr old saw some track cycling on the TV so I got some tickets to th
upcoming Worlds to take her too (did that sound like a really hollo
excuse???) One of my best memories of track cycling was holding my the
5yr old (now 9) up above the crowd to see Gary Niewand scream around th
outside to win the last Austral at Northcote TOTALLY AWESOME

-

flyingdutch wrote:
> Hippy might even share his new found expertise on 'how to fall off a
> track bike without really trying' ....(sorry hippy, couldn't resist!)
> Oh cmon, do tell!
> I'd love to have a go at track too, but that's another story.
> My 6yr old saw some track cycling on the TV so I got some tickets to the
> upcoming Worlds to take her too (did that sound like a really hollow
> excuse???) One of my best memories of track cycling was holding my then
> 5yr old (now 9) up above the crowd to see Gary Niewand scream around the
> outside to win the last Austral at Northcote TOTALLY AWESOME!

G'day,

I've always been a little reticent about trying track, even though I've
got the build, (read: fat *******) & the speed (read: goes fast but not
for very long!). Everytime I think I might have a go, one of my mates
has a fall, (or Hippy publishes his photos), & I chicken out. A mate
broke his collar bone at Vodaphone last year & was off any bike for
about 3 mths (he's no Tyler hamilton!). just seems to me that bingles on
the track are more frequent & at those speeds....more injurous (hey...if
thats not a word...it should be),

cheers,

Hitchy

--

OT: First of all, what the hell is with cyclingforums and the aus.bicycle newsgroup? Messages appear out of sink or not at all and there seems to be no order to it??? I can't seem to find that "Hippy's 1st Track Race" post now but it's on the ng. This web-based thing would be nice because I can read it at home and work and messages are marked as read at both locations. But if it's a pain in the butt, no thanks.

>Hitchy A mate broke his collar bone at Vodaphone last year & was of
>>any bike for about 3 mths (he's no Tyler hamilton!)

I did that too and it had nothing to do with track. MTB that time :

>just seems to me that bingles on the track are more frequent & >a
>those speeds....more injurou

Well, more riders in closer proximity, at higher speeds are probably th
reasons for that. But did you consider that the velodrome is car-free
I'd rather bounce off a fence or another rider than be fan-blade fodder
There is also a fairly strict track etiquette and high safety focu
(which I probably break all the time - working on it ;)) and withou
brakes, riding in the bunch is safer because people can't slow down TO
fast (Beach Rd. panic?). There's also no traffic lights and it's just S
MUCH DAMN FUN!!! :D The buzz after a track session is pretty wicked. I
might turn you into a skin deficient, tree-trunk-legged animal, bu
you'll be buzzin' so you wont care! :-

hipp

-

>Hitchy ya never know, Hippy might even share his new found expertis
>>on 'how to fall off a track bike without really trying'....(sorr
>>hippy, couldn't resist!)

Oh, that's easy. Gather 'round people.. in from that back, that's it

1. Mount track bike (not THAT kind of mount!
2. Ride around until you spot a nice section of fence. The sharper th
edges the better
3. Aim bike at fence. The faster the better, ya hear
4. When (if?) the bleeding stops and the bike works again, post th
story to a bike forum of your choice. Make sure you extoll th
virtues of track racing
5. Pick at your scabs
6. Laugh at yourself and go ride track some more
7. Book in for counting lessons

adio

-

hippy wrote:
> OT: First of all, what the hell is with cyclingforums and the
> aus.bicycle newsgroup? Messages appear out of sink or not at all and
> there seems to be no order to it??? I can't seem to find that "Hippy's
> 1st Track Race" post now but it's on the ng. This web-based thing would
> be nice because I can read it at home and work and messages are marked
> as read at both locations. But if it's a pain in the butt, no thanks.
> >Hitchy A mate broke his collar bone at Vodaphone last year & was off
> >>any bike for about 3 mths (he's no Tyler hamilton!).

> I did that too and it had nothing to do with track. MTB that time :)
> >just seems to me that bingles on the track are more frequent & >at
> >those speeds....more injurous

> Well, more riders in closer proximity, at higher speeds are probably the
> reasons for that. But did you consider that the velodrome is car-free?
> I'd rather bounce off a fence or another rider than be fan-blade fodder.
> There is also a fairly strict track etiquette and high safety focus
> (which I probably break all the time - working on it ;)) and without
> brakes, riding in the bunch is safer because people can't slow down TOO
> fast (Beach Rd. panic?). There's also no traffic lights and it's just SO
> MUCH DAMN FUN!!! :D The buzz after a track session is pretty wicked. It
> might turn you into a skin deficient, tree-trunk-legged animal, but
> you'll be buzzin' so you wont care! :)
> hippy

G'day

yep, I can see the attraction. all my mates reckon its the go....but
find it hard to take them seriously when has an arm in plaster, hobblin
about with one leg now 2cm shorter than the other... $1000 track wheel
now scrap carbon (?)....etc etc....but...besides any of that......'sh
who must be obeyed', would divorce me, (Hmmm, maybe Track DOES hav
merit?), if i came home with ANOTHER bike.......I'm still thinking abou
how to tell her about the proposed 'new bike' upgrade, planned for late
this year!

cheers

Hitch

-

>'she who must be obeyed', would divorce me, (Hmmm, maybe >Track DOE
>have merit?), if i came home with ANOTHER >bike.......I'm stil
>thinking about how to tell her about the >proposed 'new bike' upgrade
>planned for later this year!

No bloody wonder I tell people I'm never getting married! Does anyon
here have an understanding wife? If I want a new bike I'll buy a ne
bike! I don't tell my gf not to buy that new dress/shoes/top/bag/etc..
Please tell me marriage ain't as bad as everyone says?!

hippy 4 new bikes in mind..

-

hippy wrote:
> >'she who must be obeyed', would divorce me, (Hmmm, maybe >Track DOES
> >have merit?), if i came home with ANOTHER >bike.......I'm still
> >thinking about how to tell her about the >proposed 'new bike' upgrade,
> >planned for later this year!,

> No bloody wonder I tell people I'm never getting married! Does anyone
> here have an understanding wife? If I want a new bike I'll buy a new
> bike! I don't tell my gf not to buy that new dress/shoes/top/bag/etc...
> Please tell me marriage ain't as bad as everyone says?!?
> hippy 4 new bikes in mind...

G'day

Woman & kids are definately bad for your legs too!.......I've told the
many a time.....I'm quite prepared to give them all the time & attentio
they want......when its RAINING outside!......but seriously!....we wor
on the theory that 'whats mine is hers & whats hers is hers too'.......
she don't want another bike!. Its a new car for her, or a bike fo
me...personally i don't think theres anything wrong with her 196
Corolla with 450,000 km on it......sure you can see the road thru th
floor.....but hey...did Fred Flintstone complain?

cheers

Hitch

-

jazmo <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<Ec81c.21397$%[email protected]>...
> Rickster wrote:
> > It was 34.6 kmh

> Farout, didn't realise that!
>
> Three people from this discussion board rode that race!

Three out of what 9 ?!

Quite remarkable

> K&C Russell, Rickster - describe your attire on that day. How did you
> guys find the race, was it hard going and fast for you too?

Mmmm, well, I was quite vocal. Quite vocal. Does that help ? I
found the race pretty tough actually, although I have had much faster
in both C and B grade. My biggest struggle is the U turn corner,
where my speed drops such that I have to climb the hill at a fast pace
just to close the gap back up that I have allowed to open.

In B grade, I get yelled at for that, in C grade it seems more
acceptable.

> I had the Carrera top and blue shorts. I had the old Cecil Walker bike
> with the downtube shifters.

I remember you !

Yep, I have a very understanding wife. She doesn't always understand why
or how the new set of wheels could any better than the ones I already
have or the benefits of a Easton EC70 carbon fork. :)

I even get to ride as often as I like without any complaint etc. But
I've found that it can be difficult to justify spending $5k + on a bike
when I'm no very good :) So I choose to upgrade by stealth ;)

I think I'm incredibly lucky :) My cycling buddies are all very jealous
:)

Cheers

hippy wrote:

> >'she who must be obeyed', would divorce me, (Hmmm, maybe >Track DOES
> >have merit?), if i came home with ANOTHER >bike.......I'm still
> >thinking about how to tell her about the >proposed 'new bike' upgrade,
> >planned for later this year!,

> No bloody wonder I tell people I'm never getting married! Does anyone
> here have an understanding wife? If I want a new bike I'll buy a new
> bike! I don't tell my gf not to buy that new dress/shoes/top/bag/etc...
> Please tell me marriage ain't as bad as everyone says?!?
>
> hippy 4 new bikes in mind...
>
> --

"rickster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In B grade, I get yelled at for that, in C grade it seems more
> acceptable.

Us C graders are so much nicer! :)
Just pretend you are blocking for some imaginary team mate.

If that was to happen to me in a race and I took offence and
decided to make the gap even bigger - would I be killed for
it?
What's the accepted "rules" with this? If I can't make a
corner as fast as the guys behind me - should I trundle off
down the back of the bunch or should they just shut up and
move around me?

I notice the races are much more serious from D to C and
would like your inside information in case I ever make it to
B grade..

What else do you find different between C and B grades?

hippy

Rickster wrote:
> jazmo <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<Ec81c.21397$%[email protected]>...
> > Rickster wrote:
> > > It was 34.6 kmh

> > Farout, didn't realise that!
> >
> > Three people from this discussion board rode that race!
> >

> Three out of what 9 ?!
> Quite remarkable
> > K&C Russell, Rickster - describe your attire on that day. How did you
> > guys find the race, was it hard going and fast for you too?
> >

> Mmmm, well, I was quite vocal. Quite vocal. Does that help ? I found the
> race pretty tough actually, although I have had much faster in both C
> and B grade. My biggest struggle is the U turn corner, where my speed
> drops such that I have to climb the hill at a fast pace just to close
> the gap back up that I have allowed to open.
> In B grade, I get yelled at for that, in C grade it seems more
> acceptable.
> > I had the Carrera top and blue shorts. I had the old Cecil Walker bike
> > with the downtube shifters.
> >

> I remember you !

:D he he he, I think anyone in that race would remember you .That was
bit of a laugh. Mate, I reckon you and the other guy who came and joine
you could've got away had you started working together. Bit of
communication issue as I understand it

Yeah, I had issues with that U turn at the start of the race. I wa
hanging off the back and having to catch up going up the clim
every lap. I was almost dropped on a number of occasions up tha
climb as a result

B grade!? I wouldn't even attempt B grade at this stage

-

Hey, we got flooded (our downstairs rumpus room) and we got
cheque for $8k

My first reaction to 'she whom must be obeyed' was, "Can I spend 2k o
my bike?" and amazingly she said yes!!! Hence my new proton wheels an
04Chorus grouppo :

We are a 1 car family as I commute and only ever use it after hours o
weekends. My father inlaw is an ex NZ racer, my cousins are ex-Oz bm
champ and A-graders and ex spped-skaters so my wif feels somewha
surrounded!!

And as she so failry admits. "No amount you spend can shock me. It
still a fraction of what we spend on the car"

She does stll mutter everytime the creditcard bill comes in..

-

"jazmo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Ec81c.21397$%[email protected]...
> Rickster wrote:
> > It was 34.6 kmh

> Farout, didn't realise that!
>
> Three people from this discussion board rode that race!
>
> K&C Russell, Rickster - describe your attire on that day. How did you
> guys find the race, was it hard going and fast for you too?
>
> I had the Carrera top and blue shorts. I had the old Cecil Walker bike
> with the downtube shifters.
>

> --

Hi Guys,

I was wearing the Red Castelli jersey and riding the Red '04 TCR. Yes I
remember the old Cec Walker with the shifters. I flatted ~20mins in and was
without a spare wheel, having ridden from work. I enjoyed the race while I
was out there. Someone was always having a go off the front, and I enjoy
the chase. I just wished I was still in the race when the winning break was
made.

After 20 mins my Ave was 35kmph and my HRM was showing ave of 160 and max
183.... not bad for 45+ years. So I guess the work rate was pretty high for
me, but I felt good apart from the psst...psst...psst.. noise on the back
straight. I hoped, as I pulled right from the bunch, that the noise would
go away but it followed me..........bugger.

You really have to press the handle bars down into the hairpin corner. I
like the hill sprint as it suits me. There always seems to be a head wind
over the back and the coarse surface is fairly dead to ride. So I reckon it
is a difficult course with a high work rate required.

Shame it was the last week of Mon nights. Coburg CC had moved their Sat
Crits to Mon to try to generate more interest. I might try a Wed with
Hawthorn before the end of the month.

I will keep an eye out for you.
Kevin