RR: Kew Boulevarde C Crit Mon, 1st Mar 2004

[QUOTEUs C graders are so much nicer!
I notice the races are much more serious from D to C and would like your inside information in case
I ever make it to B grade..

What else do you find different between C and B grades?

hippy [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, went along and watched the Kew crits last night (D&C and a few laps of B&A).

There definetely seemed to be a big difference between D & C.
Lots of shouting from the C's. Some appalling cornering from 2 riders in particular (on amazing bikes too) in C grade. amazed there wasnt a spill on that Uturn lefty.
Luckily one of the culprits flatted and got out with a few laps to go. Dgrade didnt look too daunting (from the comfort of a shady bench) so next week it is for this little black duck...

"hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<m%[email protected]>...
> "rickster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In B grade, I get yelled at for that, in C grade it seems more acceptable.
>
> Us C graders are so much nicer! :) Just pretend you are blocking for some imaginary team mate.
>
> If that was to happen to me in a race and I took offence and decided to make the gap even bigger -
> would I be killed for it?

Doubt it. Guys will just give you a dirty look and come round.

> What's the accepted "rules" with this? If I can't make a corner as fast as the guys behind me -
> should I trundle off down the back of the bunch or should they just shut up and move around me?

You say "it's a big wide road, go round ********"

or "if you want perfection, go race A grade, ********"

That's what I say anyway.

>
> I notice the races are much more serious from D to C and would like your inside information in
> case I ever make it to B grade..
>
> What else do you find different between C and B grades?
>

Nothing really you wouldn't expect, the speed is a bit higher, there is less lurching of the bunch
and break away attempts have to be launched with more "anger" as there is rarely a lull in pace.
There seems to be more bunch kicks than sucessdul breaks in B grade.

I'm really only talking my limited 2 and bit year racing experience, completely localised in
Melbourne. Which was a spectacular rise through D to C and ground to halt in B grade, and have
piffed any notion of A grade out the window.

If you can complete a C grade race, then you'd probably be able to sit in on B grade (except at Kew,
that hill/corner combo sorts a lot out).

Originally posted by Rickster
"hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<m%[email protected]>...
> "rickster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In B grade, I get yelled at for that, in C grade it seems more acceptable.
>
> Us C graders are so much nicer! :) Just pretend you are blocking for some imaginary team mate.
>
> If that was to happen to me in a race and I took offence and decided to make the gap even bigger -
> would I be killed for it?

Doubt it. Guys will just give you a dirty look and come round.

> What's the accepted "rules" with this? If I can't make a corner as fast as the guys behind me -
> should I trundle off down the back of the bunch or should they just shut up and move around me?

You say "it's a big wide road, go round ********"

or "if you want perfection, go race A grade, ********"

That's what I say anyway.

>
> I notice the races are much more serious from D to C and would like your inside information in
> case I ever make it to B grade..
>
> What else do you find different between C and B grades?
>

Nothing really you wouldn't expect, the speed is a bit higher, there is less lurching of the bunch
and break away attempts have to be launched with more "anger" as there is rarely a lull in pace.
There seems to be more bunch kicks than sucessdul breaks in B grade.

I'm really only talking my limited 2 and bit year racing experience, completely localised in
Melbourne. Which was a spectacular rise through D to C and ground to halt in B grade, and have
piffed any notion of A grade out the window.

If you can complete a C grade race, then you'd probably be able to sit in on B grade (except at Kew,
that hill/corner combo sorts a lot out).

Does anybody know how C grade on Monday night at Kew Blvd compares to C grade at Glenvale Crescent crits in Mulgrave on a Sunday? Was wondering whether I should do C grade instead of D grade out there.

Originally posted by jazmo
Does anybody know how C grade on Monday night at Kew Blvd compares to C grade at Glenvale Crescent crits in Mulgrave on a Sunday? Was wondering whether I should do C grade instead of D grade out there.

you mean you get to choose?
woulda thought you get ranked or have to qualify to go up thru some accumulative points or similar system

At Kew there was one guy who started at front of D and within a few laps just sat at the back of C grade for an easy win in D
cheeky blighter!!!

"rickster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > What's the accepted "rules" with this? If I can't make a corner as fast as the guys behind me -
> > should I trundle off down the back of the bunch or should they just shut up and move around me?
>
> You say "it's a big wide road, go round ********" or "if you want perfection, go race A grade,
> ********" That's what I say anyway.

I like it! :)

> > What else do you find different between C and B grades?
>
> Nothing really you wouldn't expect, the speed is a bit higher, there is less lurching of the bunch
> and break away attempts have to be launched with more "anger" as there is rarely a lull in pace.
> There seems to be more bunch kicks than sucessdul breaks in B grade.

I'll need even more work in the bunch then..

> If you can complete a C grade race, then you'd probably be able to sit in on B grade (except at
> Kew, that hill/corner combo sorts a lot out).

The last three C grade Glenvale races have been ~6/7th, ~15th and then post-crash, in the wet last
week we were lapped so most of the other riders pulled out. I'm not at all close to moving up, just
curious about the differences.

cheers! hippy

Originally posted by flyingdutch
you mean you get to choose?
woulda thought you get ranked or have to qualify to go up thru some accumulative points or similar system

At Kew there was one guy who started at front of D and within a few laps just sat at the back of C grade for an easy win in D
cheeky blighter!!!

I mentioned in an earlier post that CCCC doesn't appear to care about what grade riders nominate themselves to ride in. I guess it makes for a lot of work keeping track with so many riders. If you keep winning and don't move up though, the bunch will recognise you and make some noise about it I'm sure.

The D grade rider who sat on C grade bunch should have been disqualified - he was cheating - you are not allowed to sit on a bunch you didn't start in.
I mean, otherwise everyone would just hang back and try to jump on C. Then it would be: "who could hang onto C the longest" and not "who won D".

hippy

Originally posted by hippy
I mentioned in an earlier post that CCCC doesn't appear to care about what grade riders nominate themselves to ride in. I guess it makes for a lot of work keeping track with so many riders. If you keep winning and don't move up though, the bunch will recognise you and make some noise about it I'm sure.

The D grade rider who sat on C grade bunch should have been disqualified - he was cheating - you are not allowed to sit on a bunch you didn't start in.
I mean, otherwise everyone would just hang back and try to jump on C. Then it would be: "who could hang onto C the longest" and not "who won D".

hippy

Yes, the comissaire (isnt that a Falko song???) did mention it at the starting line preamble.

By the way, what's the etiquette or expected actiona sthe higher grade passes the lower grade?
Many C's were yelling at the D's to go left which seemed strange to me as i thought it woulda been best to go to the outside.
Approaching and leaving the nasty lefter meant there were a few nervous moments as slower D'ers had to go inside the Cers and were going wider and nearly collecting the better bike-handling Cers. I can see my first foray next week is going to be a big lesson/learning-session...

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> By the way, what's the etiquette or expected actiona sthe higher grade passes the lower grade?
> Many C's were yelling at the D's to go left which seemed strange to me as i thought it woulda been
> best to go to
the
> outside. Approaching and leaving the nasty lefter meant there were a
few
> nervous moments as slower D'ers had to go inside the Cers and were
going
> wider and nearly collecting the better bike-handling Cers. I can see
my
> first foray next week is going to be a big lesson/learning-session...

That happens a lot. Usually, C will yell at D they are coming up on them and D will perhaps slow and
move as far left as possible so C can go around them. D shouldn't move right, because that would
mean crossing the entire road/track and this could get real messy. So, generally the faster bunch
will ride around the slower bunch. D should hold their line and try not to interfere with C and C
shouldn't swoop into D and panic the D graders. It makes sense on the straights but does seem
strange on corners - but what else are they gonna do? Pull off the course? :)

You will be told what you are doing wrong - sometimes the person will be nice sometimes nasty,
sometimes they will be right, other times they should keep their heads closed. It is just like
anything else - a big learning experience - it gets less intimidating the more races you do.

"hold your line" hippy

Originally posted by flyingdutch
shouldnt that be
"hold your line so I can suck your wheel" hippy??? :D :D :D

More accurately: "hold your line so I can duck in underneath and then have everyone yell at me for not holding my line" :)

hippy

Originally posted by hippy
More accurately: "hold your line so I can duck in underneath and then have everyone yell at me for not holding my line" :)

hippy

hey, I just noticed Im a 'Senior member' !!!

in the Vets already

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 03:30:13 +0000, Hitchy wrote:

> ...I'm still thinking about how to tell her about the proposed 'new bike' upgrade, planned for
> later this year!,

Make sure you take notes, I might need some advice...

Oh and Larissa, if you're reading this, I think if we move some of the furniture out into the shed,
there'll be much more room for bikes. It not like we really use the dining table that much anyway.

-kt

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 03:30:13 +0000, Hitchy wrote:

> personally i don't think theres anything wrong with her 1967 Corolla with 450,000 km on
> it......sure you can see the road thru the floor.....but hey...did Fred Flintstone complain?,

Sounds like it only needs a new set of floor mats ;)

-kt